FM09: Official Aston Villa F.C. Thread

SeanH91

Probably the campest word i have ever heard/seen :D

Ha, that's nothing mate!

I would have definately sold Milner. He's fantastic and has done brilliantly on the right for me this season, but with the money Madrid were offering you can get either one player twice as good as him, or two players equally as good. Shame he accepted your offer really, but still a quality player on this game.

It's January now and van der Vaart's arrived, he's now here to add some real proper quality to my midfield. I've now got a selection headache! Never thought I'd say that in the first season with Villa... I was originally going to have vdV as the CMa and put Barry as the CMd, but Cana has had a tremendous season, and Reo-Coker has been fantastic in training and has turned into a top quality DM.

I also brought in Fernando Arce for £3.4m, who will provide some good creativity from the bench. Problem is his arrival has caused Gardner and Osborne to become unsettled. I'm convinced that Gardner will become a very good CM in the future, but I've just been offered £6.75m from Everton for him.... Bye bye, Craig! Routledge also looks set to leave, as a host of clubs have gone for my £1.2m asking price.

I did have a £2m offer accepted for Vicente, but he turned me down for Bordeaux. Shame, he'd have been great rotated with Young on the left wing.

In the league, I'm sitting in 6th with 36 points from 19 games. Lost 5 games so far, but that included Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal so I wouldn't expect to get anything from them this season anyway. The other loss was, annoyingly, West Brom. Couldn't score for anything, and they got given a disgraceful penalty in the 93rd minute. Almost broke my mouse.

Arsenal and Liverpool are sniffing around Young. Arsenal came in with a £4.5m up front and £15m over 18month offer, which is obviously ridiculous, so I thought I'd get sassy and have asked for £9.5m up front, £19.75 over 18months as well as Johan Djourou AND Fran Merida. There's no way they'll accept this, so I've not nothing to worry about. But if they do... Hmm...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get 20mil from man city for reo-coker, which is to good to turn down.

Andyp, tbh mate its not that i have faith in my villa team its just that chelsea are my least favorite team to manage on fm. plus i've finally assembled a team that should do well in the league and i need to try them out.

Doing okay in my first season, just had Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool in a row! Losing all of them.

Signings thus far, having just entered Feb are:

In:

Cáceres (Loan)

Belletti (£3.7m)

Balotelli (Loan)

Marcelo (£4.4m)

Keirrison (£7.5m)

Ponzio (£5.5m)

Merida (Loan)

Mattock (£2.5m)

De La Red (£3.4m)

Ronaldo (Free)

Out:

Knight (£4m)

Taylor (£2m)

Petrov (£4.8m)

Routledge (£1.3m)

Harewood (£3m)

Stieber (130k)

Barry (25m)

Sitting in 8th postion at the moment, hoping to break the top 6. I have 12 games to go.

Starting to find it IMPOSSIBLE to hold onto leads. 6 games this season points have been dropped after going into half time 2-0 up - most recently against Wisla in the UEFA Cup. I had 14 shots on goal, they had 2, but the game ended up 2-2.

I haven't sworn this much or this loud in months.

Decided to start a Villa game thanks to the excellent OP!

I've taken in £29m by selling the players most people get rid of (Reo-Coker, Knight, Petrov, etc) and have brought in these main signings:

Bogdan Stancu (FC) - Romanian u21 from Steau - £2.8m

Pavel Pognebnyak (SC) - Russian international from Zenit - £5.5m

Miguel Velosa (DMC) - Biggest signing, £12.5m

Also signed Rafael Carioca, Robert Lewandowski and Radja Nainggolan but they're for the future.

Going quite well so far. Was 1 minute from being out of UEFA to Saturn then Veloso equalised on 89 and Agbonlahor won it in injury time. Group stages await.

In the league we're sitting 4th after 6 games. Won 3, Drawn 2, Lost 1.

Last league game was this amazing match v Man U :eek: The half-time Rocket really did the trick.....

http://i38.tinypic.com/63sp39.jpg

Not happy with my full-backs.

Still got Shorey (and Bouma when he’s fit) on the left and Luke Young (with Gardner as back-up) on the right.

Any suggestions as to who I can bring in during the January window?

I’ve got about £4m in the kitty so might even need to wait til the end of the season.

I got Joe Mattock at the beginning of first season and I'm just at January now, and he has been immense for me.

Okay, thanks, just snapped up Mattock for £3m + Clauses. He'll join in January.

Which of Shorey and Bouma would you get rid of now?

Right-back, any suggestions?

get rid of shorey but wait until Bouma is fit so you at least have cover or you could sell him now and get ludovic magnin on loan if he hasn't already left stuttgart. don't really know any cheap right backs but I thought young was pretty solid for me in my first season

Anyone been keeping a British theme going at Villa. If i start an English game, il be tempted to play as them. How are Delfouneso and Gardner ?

Not tried out delfouneso but whenever i have played gardner he has been very solid for me.

deejay10 - Eventually, my aim is to make a British team, but that is an expensive hobby, so first thing I want to do is create a team that can get glory in the short-term, so I can afford the good young British players in the long-term. Gardner has all the stats to be a very good squad midfield player; I don't know what kind of PA he has to grow into, but if he does then he'll become a quality player in a few years. The same goes with Delfouneso - with his starting stats, he should turn into a brilliant forward.

Daverea - Barry is a quandry. I've noticed that, unlike his performances with Villa in real life, he can be very inconsistent. I leave him as the CMa in a midfield two and I've generally found that when partnered with a solid CMd he can dominate games. Keep the faith.

Back to me! I've had a harddrive issue and have had to reboot...which means a new game for me! Yes, my third start.

Transfers In - Total £17.25m:

Razvan Rat - £2.7m

Hulk - £6m

Leonardo - £1.2m

Emerson - Loan (+£1m)

Aquivaldo Mosquera - £4.1m

Belletti - Loan (+£1m)

Manuel Raz - £250k

Ronald Lewandowski - £1m

Transfers Out - Total £18.25m:

Marlon Harewood - £4.8m (West Brom)

Stilityan Petrov - £7.5m ('boro)

Zat Knight - £6m (Sunderland)

1st Season

Players In:

Vela - Arsenal - 8m + 40% of Next Sale Profit

Martins - Newcastle - 6m over 18mths (Newcastle offered him to me!)

Anyukov - Zenit 6.5m

Boka - Stuttgart - 3.3m + 20% Next Sale Profit

Players Out:

Harewood - West Brom - 5.25m

Petrov - Middlesboro - 7m

Osbourne - Celtic - 2.7m

Salifou - Reading - 1.5m

Early November and currently 4th in the league, 6 points behind unlikely leaders Tottenham!

Top of my group in the UEFA and still in bth domestic cups.

Of my signings, Anyukov and Boka have proved the most effective with Vela and Martins having the odd moment of brilliance but generally being inconsistent.

Playing an attacking 4-4-2 with Barry as playmaker and Carew as target man.

Not scoring a lot of goals but i've only conceded 9 goals so far in the league with 3 of them coming at the hands of Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Nigel Reo-Coker has been my most consistent player with Cuellar a close second, Barry a little incosistent but seems to relish the bigger games. Nicky Shorey has miraculously scored 5 goals for me and is my top scorer in the league, Gabby Agbonlahor is leading in Europe after a couple of impressive hat-tricks.

My team seems to play similarly to Villa in real life, solid at the back with most of the creativity coming from incisive wing play from Young, Milner and Agbonlahor.

Tempted to cash in on the 30m Tottenham are offering for Barry in Jan, could have my pick of Diarra, Inler, Veloso or Moutinho and still have plenty spare to get long term replacement for Friedel and Laursen.

Any thoughts?

DirtyDanVC

I would take that offer for Barry as even though I don't know about Inler I would say the MCs that you mentioned are much better than Barry. Also with someone like Veloso or Moutinho you will have a good £10M-£20M left over for other players.

Just about to restart second season and my first game is an away CL tie against PSV. Will just be looking for the away goal though as they are a very tough team to be drawn against.

My first three PRM games go as follows: Sheff Utd H, Fulham A(finished 17th last season), and West Brom H(W1 D1 L2 out of last 4 meetings in previous season :().

My line up is:

GK Frey

DR Srna

DL Magnin

DC Cuellar

DC Davies/ Caceres/ Goian

MR Milner/Arshavin

ML Young

MC Barry

MC Veloso

TS Pogrebnyak

SS Robinho/ Gabby

The rest of my squad is:

GK De Sanctis/ Friedel

DEF Bouma/ Young/ Lugano/ Laursen (trying to sell)

MDF Routledge/ Papadopoulos (sp)/ Busquets/ Gardner

ST Sturridge

Hoping to retain top four place and at least get to 3rd in group stages of CL so I have a chance of retaining my UEFA crown:)

If anyone knows an cheap target strikers that are at least good enough to be backup for CL, advice would be appreciated. willing to spend up to £5M. Advice on team would also be helpful.

Thanks for any help:)

How on earth did you get Frey, Srna, Arshavin, Veloso, Robinho etc... all in the first season?!!!

they weren't all bought in the same season and as I said in an earler post I got lucky with asking for more money for transfers, wages and a budget adjustment. Also as I said in an earler post I have never got that much in previous saves and was amazed when I realised I could get that much.

Hey Guys, Playing as Villa and I'm currently 9th in th league (first season).

Alot of my squad have lost confidence in me mainly due to a month where i didn't win a game as my fixture list was:-

Chelsea home

Arsenal away

Liverpool away

Man City away

Question I want to ask is can these players eventually gain confidence in me again if we climb up the table?

Yeah you can def get the confidence back; just keep getting the results and have a good run in the cup. It does take awhile though even after i had won back the dissenters there were still those who were 'unhappy at the lack of harmony at the club' even though they were the only ones who were unhappy.

Just starting my 3rd season, made quite alot changes in team,

1st season - 10th

2nd seadon - 2nd

3rd season - 2 games

current line up, Players i use in rotation

GK - oscar ustari £6m, Leo Franko £1.2m

DEF - Petrone (regen) £3.5m, Zapata £17m, Curtis Davis, chretien £4.9m, Ceglie £5.76m

DM/MID - Veloso £23m, Reo-Coker, Moutinho £18m

AM - Arango £15.25m, Wilshere £7.75m, Fausto rossi £4.2m, Bozaglo £1.7m

STR - Vela £10.5m, Thierry Henry £3m (33years old), Agbonlahor

including quite a few youngsters over the 2 full season spent £135m and sold £89m on players. :)

I seem to be getting such large amounts of money for my players. I sold Barry at the beginning for £20m to Man City, Reo Coker to Chelsea (in Jan 09) for £25m and now sold Milner for £25m to AC Milan! Something really odd about that!

Anyway finished 9th in the league in my first season! Second season is due to start soon and my squad is as follows:-

GK: Sergio Asenjo, Brad Friedal, Asmir Begovic

DR: Christien (Morrocan RB), Opare (Real Madrid youngster)

DL: Mathieu (From Toulouse), Mattock (From Leicester)

CB: Curtis Davis, Cuellar, Sakho, Beevers

CM (Def): Erick Enoh (From Ajax) Zucillini (From Racing)

CM (Att): Lassana Diarria, Nacer Barazite (From Arsenal)

RM: Wijnaldner (Spelling is clearly wrong but the guy from Feyernord), Ashley Young

LM: Bounanette (From River Plate) Juan Manuel Mata (From Valencia)

ST: Toto Tamuz (From Israel), Altidore (From Villareal), Gignac (From Toulouse) and Agbonlahoar

Any tips on where to improve, Im hoping for Europeon qualification this year and at a stretch in the top four!

How is everyone getting so much for players? I sold Zat Knight to 'Boro for 2.9mil and I thought that was good. Someone got £6mil for him? That just seems unrealistic. Also I cant get rid of Salifou for more than 500k... and Osbourne £1 mil

Yep that was me. I was amazed myself at how much money teams are willing to pay, but I've done it in three separate starts now (long story) and 'boro have always bitten.

EDIT: Forget my request for tactical help. I've had a tweak and a mess and stumbled upon a decent little variation on the 442 attacking formation. Just beat Arsenal 3-2 at home with it. I'm knackered after that.

Hi there,

Just started my first season with Aston Villa. So far, unbeaten in the League, but got knocked out of the UEFA Cup :(! Also got beaten in the League Cup by Liverpool, but I beat them in the League.

Transfers-

IN-

Sturrigde £3M

Jack Rodwell £2.9M + Petrov

Song - Loan

Belleti - Loan

Jankovloski - Loan

OUT-

Moustafa £1.5M

The squad has no real depth, espically in the striker department. Also neither of the strikers can finish! I had 13 shots against an opposition and no goals to show for it. Im trying to keep an English theme to the squad but it is hard. I need a new "star" striker and im thinking of Falcao or Huntelaar. In addition I need full-backs. Wayne Bridge, Baines, Gunter and Bale are my targets for that section.

first season with villa,

brought in owen for 3.9M and michel salgado for 325k and balotelli on loan.

made 17M selling, including harewood, petrov, taylor, knight and some reserves.

thinkin about a 4 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 1

carew up front two wingers, two central midfielders and a defensive midfielders.

anyone tried this?

JANUARY 2009 UPDATE:

Extremely mixed season so far. Sitting 8th in the Premiership with 28 points out of 20 games. Not good.

Wins - 8: 'Boro (H), Hull (A), Everton (A), Arsenal (H), Stoke (A), Sunderland (H), Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H)

Draws - 4: Blackburn (A), Chelsea (H), West Ham (A), West Brom (A)

Losses - 8: West Brom (H), Wigan (H), Man Utd (A), Fulham (A), Bolton (A), Man City (H), Spurs (A)

Basically it's not good enough. The wins are good, the draws are acceptable, except for Man Utd I really should be getting points from all those teams who have beat me so far. Kind of echoing the Villa's performance irl, no?

League Cup: Lost 3-1 to Man Utd at Old Trafford in the 3rd round

FA Cup: Lost 1-0 to West Brom at The Hawthornes. Last-minute blatantly offside HAREWOOD goal. Not happy.

UEFA CUP: Through to the 1st knockout round, against Feyenood after finishing top of my group (ahead of Valencia, PSG, FC Kopenhagen and Rapid). If I beat Feyenood, I'll have either Spurs or Besiktas in the next round.

Top goalscorers:

Gabby Agbonlahor - 13 in 26(6)

John Carew - 13 in 22

January transfers:

IN: - Provided with an extra £8.75m by the board to take my remaining funds to just over £11m.

Rafael van der Vaart - £9.75m

Dudu Aouate - £975k (Friedel is out until Feb with a slipped disc)

OUT:

Mustapha Salifou - £1.3m (Rapid Wien)

Wayne Routledge - £2.5m (Reading)

ALright lads, just started a villa game and sold Barry for 27mil and brought in hamsik for 16.75mil and cretien for about 4mil(sp?)

Beat elfsborg 8-1 on aggregate having 30 shots in the away leg :)

Oh and i have signed 2 youngsters for under 1mil between them. Borges and Cascio!

Just thought I'll post an update.

Well, last season was amazing! Finished 4th in the League! And got to the final of the FA - Cup, only to be beaten on penaltys.

Anyway, in the first season I bought (in addition to my first post)-

Henri Lansbury- £3.2M

John Fleck- £3.5M

Milveskyi- £10.25

I desperatly needed some quality up-front and I want a English squad but Milveskyi fitted the bill too perfectly, so I went for him.

Second Season-

Well, I wanted to get ready for the Champions League and obviously improve the squad. I was given a transfer kitty for £36.5M!

Fullbacks was a very very weak part of my squad. I only had Luke Young and Shorey.

I got in-

Rafinha- £15M again, I looked around for an english guy, but Glen Johnson already moved so I went for Rafinha, I had my eye on him for ages now.

Joe Mattock- £1.9M

Jordan Spence- £1M

Gudjonsen- £800K

Ben Foster- £2.8M (turned out to be a bad buy, hes very average, and I could of got Gordon for £4.3M!

November Update:

Currently lying 7th in the PRM after 10 games and 4 points fewer than last season after 10 games:( W4 D4 L2 (sadly both losses to West Ham and Fulham). Not played any of the big four yet and this time last season I had played Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd.

W1 D1 L1 in the CL group stage though the points didn't come where expected. 0-0 v Steaua, 0-1 v Dinamo Kiev, 2-0 v FC Bayern.

Won 3-0 v Southampton in the LC and have Wigan in the fourth round.

Martín Cáceres is joining on Jan 1st after a successful 3-month loan spell. hopefully will pick up my defensive form and stop letting in goals when he comes back.

Brilliant season there, Noni. Considerably better than mine!

08/09 Season Summary:

Premier League - 9th with 55 points (GD of +6)

UEFA Cup - Lost to Liverpool 5-3 on aggregate, after winning the first leg at Villa Park 3-2, absolutely crumbled at Anfield.

FA Cup - Awful. Out in the 3rd round to West Brom courtesy of a last-minute Harewood winner (blatantly offside!)

League Cup - Out in the 3rd round to Man Utd

On the plus side, scoring bags of goals. Gabby was the EPL top scorer with 20 in 38, followed in 2nd place by Carew who got 18 in 32. On the negative side, conceding loads as well - 63 in the 38 EPL games. As a result of this, I've left the attack be, but tried to shore up the defence in the summer:

iontj5.jpg

I'm also waiting on a attacking full back. I've had a £9m offer accepted for Valon Behrami, but also £12m for Julien Faubert so we'll see. Also looking at Juan Ángel Albín for £2m. I think I'll go for Behrami and Albín and that should be my transfer budget well and truly spent.

Anyway, my team for the 09/10 season is set up like so:

2rftpbc.jpg

What are the main signings of the 1st season?

My transfer budget didn't increase after I requested it unfortunately... so had £6m.

In

Marcelo 4.4m

Julio Cruz 450k

Emerson loan

Sturridge 3.3m

Ferriera 1.3m

Total 9.5m

Out

4.6m

Unbeaten in pre-season and Euro Vase etc... Just about to play Man City in 1st game of season.

Any suggestions of future buys or players to sell?

i asked the board and they icreased my budget to 10m

on my villa league it wasn't very ridiculous but I was only 3 points off 3rd and not much more off 2nd but I did have a high amount of points. Although on another league the top three of Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd on 95, 88 and 85 with Chelsea on 77 in 4th then 5th with 60 something!

Bear with me here...

I'm playing as Leeds, for Lower-Team-Management fun... But I'm a Villa fan, so I'm constantly keeping an eye on them.

They finished 15th in the league 1st season, under MO'N, and are currently sitting at 10th halfway through season 2. Last year, Gabby and JC both scored about 15 goals each.

I've read through the "data issues" thread on Villa, but I really feel that this team has been given a fairly harsh appraisal. Young, Barry and Gabby are all okay in game, but they're the heart and soul of the Villa team currently sitting at 5th in the EPL. Compare that with electronic MON's boys, who've come 15th, and I'm not really looking forwards to taking up the Villa gauntlet once I get bored of Leeds...

And reading this thread doesn't fill me with enthusiasm... I thought Villa would be a "walk-in-and-win" kind of team, like Utd or Chelsea, but it seems that there's a lot of work needed to manage a 5th place finish. :(

Archived