Less clicks - the anti-RSI thread

I know there is a wishlist topic already.

However, I think there ought to be more emphasis on improving the UI specifically in that we don't have to click so many times or do so many unnecessary repeated actions. Also certain screens should show more information. Hopefully Ter can provide some feedback on why certain things are missing from certain screens.

I'll kick it off...

1. When a rival bid comes in for a player on your shortlist, the relevant news item will normally only state a bid has come in. You normally have to click on the player and check out the bid in the player's transfer screen. If its public information, then it should be in the news item. It will save lots of cliking back and forth.

If you also have a bid, then it could even show your bid in the news item. Would save many clicks.

2. Too many confirm and cancel buttons are too close together. For exmaple in the tactics menu. Too often I have made a bunch of changes in a match only to accidentally click cancel! :(

3. When searching for staff, it would be nice to search for staff who are 100% comfortable in a certain staff role (i.e. a full green bar in the staff profile for the selected role)

4. When searching for players, you should be able to also allow for those players with those attribute values which are unknown. e.g. you awnt a striker with 15 finishing. If a player has that attribute masked, he won't be excluded from the search results.

5. For certain screens, when clicking back and forward, the scrollbar position is not remembered. Its a bit of an annoyance. e.g. when arranging friendlies and picking from the big list of all teams.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, another one.

6. When confirming a staff member or player coming in to your club, it would be nice if the news item would summarise the contract and fee for them.

There is plenty of space on those screens and would save me a few clicks.

• SI Staff

I think this is definitely one area of the game we've been improving on over the years with additions such as being able to accept and reject transfer bids as they come in.

If there are more examples then we'd definitely like to hear about them :)

I know there is a wishlist topic already. However, I think there ought to be more emphasis on improving the UI...

A very valid thread, in my opinion. This is an important part of the game, too!

When a rival bid comes in for a player on your shortlist, the relevant news item will normally only state a bid has come in. You normally have to click on the player and check out the bid in the player's transfer screen. If its public information, then it should be in the news item. It will save lots of cliking back and forth. If you also have a bid, then it could even show your bid in the news item. Would save many clicks.

Yes, I agree... especially relevant to me after a busy, click-click-click-filled off-season last night.

2. Too many confirm and cancel buttons are too close together. For exmaple in the tactics menu. Too often I have made a bunch of changes in a match only to accidentally click cancel! :(

This often happens to me when negotiating bids. I'll spend a while negotiating a complicated bid with numerous clauses only to accidentally cancel it all, having to start again.

I think this is definitely one area of the game we've been improving on over the years with additions such as being able to accept and reject transfer bids as they come in.

I find this feature pointless because you can't specify the reason you've rejected the bid.

In a similar vein I'd like to add that the game ought to remember my match day screen setup from match to match. I watch every game starting with split screen and always the same two things in either screen, yet every single match day it defaults to the Overview screen to kick off the match!

In a similar vein I'd like to add that the game ought to remember my match day screen setup from match to match. I watch every game starting with split screen and always the same two things in either screen, yet every single match day it defaults to the Overview screen to kick off the match!

Yes, definitely more personalisation would help.

TBH, this is one of the area where I have my concern on the UI.

No reason why the reject button on news dose not have the same feature as in bid offer screen. I.e. option to specify reason for reject and further transfer instruction.

9. Seeing the full details of a bid for your player in the news item. i.e. seeing all clauses etc listed.

We shouldn't have to click through to the negotiation screen to see all the clauses etc. A negotiation screen should only be for negotiating. Not for having to go there to view details of a bid.

• SI Staff

No reason why the reject button on news dose not have the same feature as in bid offer screen. I.e. option to specify reason for reject and further transfer instruction.

It's a shortcut to instantly dismiss a bid without having to deal with extra screens and stuff like that.

10. When presented with a list of feeder clubs you get this very unobvious dropdown to show other clubs to choose from which is not that visibile to newbies. It needs reworking I think. Its more a user experience thing than than a click saver.

4. When searching for players, you should be able to also allow for those players with those attribute values which are unknown. e.g. you awnt a striker with 15 finishing. If a player has that attribute masked, he won't be excluded from the search results.

I disagree. If you don't know how good a player's finishing is, you shouldn't be able to use a filter on it.

I disagree. If you don't know how good a player's finishing is, you shouldn't be able to use a filter on it.

The filter would allow for those players to be included in the search results. It would mean including those players who meet certain criteria and not discounting those you are not sure of yet.

The filter would allow for those players to be included in the search results. It would mean including those players who meet certain criteria and not discounting those you are not sure of yet.

Essentially, if you provide for example 4 attributes to filter, if someone meets 3 of them and the other is masked, they'd be included?

12. after selecting multiple players in player search screen or shortlist, right click and send scout to every one of them. after applying a filter and seeing a hell lot of completely unknown players, I have to do the following for every player: right click on player, left click on scout player, left click on desired scout. this is for example 150 clicks for 50 players. my suggestion: click the first player, click the last player while holding shift (this already works) right click on any of the selected players, click on scout player, click on desired scout, done. 5 clicks.

12. after selecting multiple players in player search screen or shortlist, right click and send scout to every one of them. after applying a filter and seeing a hell lot of completely unknown players, I have to do the following for every player: right click on player, left click on scout player, left click on desired scout. this is for example 150 clicks for 50 players. my suggestion: click the first player, click the last player while holding shift (this already works) right click on any of the selected players, click on scout player, click on desired scout, done. 5 clicks.

Superb suggestion.

If multiple select is a problem, a "scout all" option would be good.

How individual scouts are assigned could be done on an automatic or individual basis.

12. after selecting multiple players in player search screen or shortlist, right click and send scout to every one of them...

Oh please, please, please, please... that would be a highly appreciated gift.

Related to multiple selecting players: let the manager select multiple players and offer them all for loan in one click. You can do this to offer for transfer, but not to offer for loan. Sometimes my U19 or Reserves are overflowing and I would like to send a number of them on loan.

Oh please, please, please, please... that would be a highly appreciated gift.

Related to multiple selecting players: let the manager select multiple players and offer them all for loan in one click. You can do this to offer for transfer, but not to offer for loan. Sometimes my U19 or Reserves are overflowing and I would like to send a number of them on loan.

I have a feeling you can already do that - the trouble is you have to manually weed out the ones who are not able to go out on loan (e.g. those out of contract or too young) so that every player in your selection is eligible. What would be better than that is for the game to have common sense and only offer those in your multiple selection for loan that are eligible rather than you having to manually pick them out...maybe I am wrong on that - it is that way for scouting - that you have to weed out from your multiple selection any player you can't scout for whatever reason before it allows you to scout them all - I had a feeling it was the same for offering out to loan too.

Less clicks = a slight possibility that I would get away with playing it in work, so it's a definate :thup: from me.

We aren't allowed a radio and the two women I work with hate each other so 90% of the day is spent in complete silence, suspicion was raised when I used to click too much playing solitaire.

13. This would bea bit revolutionary maybe...

Having a show/hide filter on the player/staff search screens.

It could be a very thin strip on the right of the search results. I reckon all the filters could be displayed in a narrow list with just attribute name and value. It would mean squeezing the current search results page, but if done right, I would use it all the time.

...or it could also be a thin strip at the top and/or bottom of the search results screen.

You can do that already can't you? Seems to work for me, just make sure there is no one in the list that cannot be scouted for whatever reason.

You can do that already can't you? Seems to work for me, just make sure there is no one in the list that cannot be scouted for whatever reason.

Yeah, I think that is similar to the point I was attempting to make regarding loan offers. Wouldn't it be easier if the game just only sent a scout to those players in the list who can be scouted and ignored the rest?

Yeah, I think that is similar to the point I was attempting to make regarding loan offers. Wouldn't it be easier if the game just only sent a scout to those players in the list who can be scouted and ignored the rest?

A 'can be scouted' filter on the player search would be superb.

That has been mentioned before and would require a disproportionate amount of processing for so small a gain unless you only mean in the initial list that you get, but that list is mostly just teams in your own league isn't it? I don't know about anyone else, but I very rarely arrange a friendly with a team in my own league - I almost always go for the option to select a club from the wider world.

That has been mentioned before and would require a disproportionate amount of processing for so small a gain unless you only mean in the initial list that you get, but that list is mostly just teams in your own league isn't it? I don't know about anyone else, but I very rarely arrange a friendly with a team in my own league - I almost always go for the option to select a club from the wider world.

Suggested before, but never saw the reply. If that was what was said, then I'm cool with that.

Well, it depends on the exact nature of the suggestion and it wasn't SI who responded definitively, it was me who made that response, but that is based on my knowledge as a software programmer in general - I don't know exactly how things in FM are implemented of course. I think previously the suggestion amounted to only those clubs available being shown even when you click out into the wider world to choose a club which would mean the game would have to calculate the availability of every club in the game (or at least every club in the Major clubs list or wherever) before presenting you with a list even though you are not interested in 99% of those teams anyway.

Well, it depends on the exact nature of the suggestion and it wasn't SI who responded definitively, it was me who made that response, but that is based on my knowledge as a software programmer in general - I don't know exactly how things in FM are implemented of course. I think previously the suggestion amounted to only those clubs available being shown even when you click out into the wider world to choose a club which would mean the game would have to calculate the availability of every club in the game (or at least every club in the Major clubs list or wherever) before presenting you with a list even though you are not interested in 99% of those teams anyway.

Lookups can be relatively quick. Its not a particularly complex query.

But then again, I don't know the data structure or exactly how long the lookup would take.

It may come back in under a second.

15. You should be able to customise your media scout reports.

for example: I always look at the same areas of a scout report first before looking into the other areas.

It would be nice if I can customise the media scout report to include these sections. I am thinking that you are only allowed to select 3 of the 8? (Off the top of head at work atm) areas. (say I am on a low budget for example, I will want: How much he will cost, How much his wages are and whether he is any good currently)

That way I can discard a player without having to look further at his attributes and the full scout report. This would be wonderfully grand. in real life; Fergie aint going to look at the full scout report if the scout's summary says not worth the effort. Then why should I?

16. If the above is implemented, I want a button that will Remove the player from the shortlist and tell the lovely scout to stop scouting this player, this saves 3 clicks. (However if said scout just happens to be watching the player again by coincidence and his opinion changes I want to be informed.)

Oh, another one.

6. When confirming a staff member or player coming in to your club, it would be nice if the news item would summarise the contract and fee for them.

There is plenty of space on those screens and would save me a few clicks.

Yes indeed. Especially if you take the scatter gun approach to signings so have a few irons in the fire for players, or put the game down for a while, and then can't remember how much you offered them etc; there's no way to check on that information short of cancelling and running the risk of trying to negotiate all over again.

Originally posted by dafuge:
Originally Posted by praxiteles

Yes, dafuge, it does work - unless any one of the players is already being scouted. Why not adjust that multi-select so that, either, it sets me up so I can have two scouts scouting the same player .. or so that it simply "ignores" the ones that can't be acted on?

Yes, dafuge, it does work - unless any one of the players is already being scouted. Why not adjust that multi-select so that, either, it sets me up so I can have two scouts scouting the same player .. or so that it simply "ignores" the ones that can't be acted on?

I agree with this. It would make it much more user firendly

It's a shortcut to instantly dismiss a bid without having to deal with extra screens and stuff like that.

Is it then possible to put the dropdownbox (with options why you want to dismiss it, with 'no reason' as default) next to it, so the 'reject' would act as a confirm-button? I now have to go to the 'view offer' (click 1) and select an option (click 2) and click 'confirm' (click 3).

Then again, I don't think that it has actual effect which option you pick as a reason, right now ... so unless it actually has any effect (i.e. player response, player concerns/happiness), it is indeed pretty useless to have.

I'm not sure whether this has been fixed yet (my save is still on 8.0.1) , but I remember that upon checking the European coefficients, the selection doesn't get saved. Which resulted in me having to uncheck all the countries I loaded to see coefficients of only the clubs of my country again.

Lookups can be relatively quick. Its not a particularly complex query.

But then again, I don't know the data structure or exactly how long the lookup would take.

It may come back in under a second.

It might also take a little while. On my current PC I think the time to 'load all clubs' rather than the default of showing 'all top european teams' is already pretty long when I want to select a small club to play a friendly against. Same goes for the job security-list. It might be simply my PC, but I don't like clicking it anymore.

Its been said before, but "Remember my preferred view for matches" is number one on my list.

Also, I'd like it a lot if it would remember my Highlights / Replays preferences BY TEAM: in other words, if I'm managing Brazil, Brazil Under-20s, Southampton, Southampton Reserves, and Southampton Under-19s, I'd like it to remember that I like the following:

Brazil - Extended Highlights, replay Goals

Southampton - Key Highlights, replay Goals

Brazil Under-20s - Key Highlights, no replays

Southampton Reserves - No highlights, replay Goals

Southampton U-19s - No highlights, no replays

Currently, I have to remember to set those differences up at the start of each match.

Perhaps "Match I'm viewing but not managing in" would have its own preference setting for this purpose.

15. You should be able to customise your media scout reports.

It would be nice if I can customise the media scout report to include these sections. I am thinking that you are only allowed to select 3 of the 8? (Off the top of head at work atm) areas. (say I am on a low budget for example, I will want: How much he will cost, How much his wages are and whether he is any good currently)

Brilliant! :thup: I really like this a lot.

16. If the above is implemented, I want a button that will Remove the player from the shortlist and tell the lovely scout to stop scouting this player, this saves 3 clicks. (However if said scout just happens to be watching the player again by coincidence and his opinion changes I want to be informed.)

Fully agree.

Along those lines, I'd like to see

- "Match reports" go away. If I tell a scout to scout a player for 3 matches, I don't need the intermediate reports after match #1 and match #2, please get them out of my inbox. I do want the final, bottom line - but then I want the details enema has described, not whether he laid on a goal in the third match.

- International - Likewise, if I'm an international manager, I don't really need to see 50 match reports from a coach per player per season .. I want to be able to set my coaches to watch players, and the only things I want to hear are changes in status: "I've found a brilliant player who isn't part of the National Pool". "I've found a promising youngster who isn't part of the National Pool". "So-and-so isn't capable of getting the job done any longer." "So-and-so is in a slump, and you might want to drop him for a bit", and "So-and-so looks like they might be able to contribute, you might consider calling him up."

- Loans - I want a lot more control in the "accept all loans" and "reject all loans" areas. Basically, I want to be able to "Accept all loans which precisely match this loan for terms", and "Reject all loans which do not precisely match this loan for terms". That would speed up the loans-out process every season.

- Offers - I want a quick means of comparing and contrasting offers from different clubs. (Detailed in a different thread recently)

Allowing more than one scout to scout a player would be pretty useful, I often use a couple of them just to get a second opinion. The 'can be scouted' filter I suggested earlier would also get around the problem.

Allowing more than one scout to scout a player would be pretty useful, I often use a couple of them just to get a second opinion. The 'can be scouted' filter I suggested earlier would also get around the problem.

I remember that when assigning 2 scouts to a particular country/region it sometimes happened that I got 1 message which stated both opinions. I just don't remember whether that was back in FM07 or in FM08, since it's been a while since I did that.

It would be nice to see an option to send multiple scouts for a player though, so you can have a few different takes on him. For instance, I have 1 scout who is incredible with Man Management, while having a lousy Judge Ability. The other has a 20 for Judge Ability, but a 3 for MM. Those would make a great team when working together.

I remember that when assigning 2 scouts to a particular country/region it sometimes happened that I got 1 message which stated both opinions. I just don't remember whether that was back in FM07 or in FM08, since it's been a while since I did that.

It would be nice to see an option to send multiple scouts for a player though, so you can have a few different takes on him. For instance, I have 1 scout who is incredible with Man Management, while having a lousy Judge Ability. The other has a 20 for Judge Ability, but a 3 for MM. Those would make a great team when working together.

That does not happen in FM'08 - I routinely get four consecutive

"Scout X compiles match report on Player A"

e-mails from different Scouts who observed the same player in the same match ... or "recommends" instead of "compiles".

Its been said before, but "Remember my preferred view for matches" is number one on my list.

Also, I'd like it a lot if it would remember my Highlights / Replays preferences BY TEAM: in other words, if I'm managing Brazil, Brazil Under-20s, Southampton, Southampton Reserves, and Southampton Under-19s, I'd like it to remember that I like the following:

Brazil - Extended Highlights, replay Goals

Southampton - Key Highlights, replay Goals

Brazil Under-20s - Key Highlights, no replays

Southampton Reserves - No highlights, replay Goals

Southampton U-19s - No highlights, no replays

Currently, I have to remember to set those differences up at the start of each match.

Perhaps "Match I'm viewing but not managing in" would have its own preference setting for this purpose.

Agree, can watching a reply from news item also not affect my match settings? - I am fed up of having slow the game to see if I was right to complain about the inadequacies of the officials and having my match settings changed to super slow-mo for the next match.

- "Match reports" go away. If I tell a scout to scout a player for 3 matches, I don't need the intermediate reports after match #1 and match #2, please get them out of my inbox. I do want the final, bottom line - but then I want the details enema has described, not whether he laid on a goal in the third match.

Agree with this. Maybe if you scout a player for one match and you like the report, you will want to send the scout off again. Why not have a button for this in the news item?

- International - Likewise, if I'm an international manager, I don't really need to see 50 match reports from a coach per player per season .. I want to be able to set my coaches to watch players, and the only things I want to hear are changes in status: "I've found a brilliant player who isn't part of the National Pool". "I've found a promising youngster who isn't part of the National Pool". "So-and-so isn't capable of getting the job done any longer." "So-and-so is in a slump, and you might want to drop him for a bit", and "So-and-so looks like they might be able to contribute, you might consider calling him up."

Totally agree here, anything to improve the quality of the international manager scene is good!

- Loans - I want a lot more control in the "accept all loans" and "reject all loans" areas. Basically, I want to be able to "Accept all loans which precisely match this loan for terms", and "Reject all loans which do not precisely match this loan for terms". That would speed up the loans-out process every season.

- Offers - I want a quick means of comparing and contrasting offers from different clubs. (Detailed in a different thread recently)

Agree

17. Can the club name (graphic) and/or logo, at the top of the screen, be clickable, so that we can go to our clubs main screen?

This would be really useful for me to go back to my main club screen. Seems a waste that the club name is just static when it can be made use of.

Archived