FM10: Official TSG 1899 Hoffenheim Thread - Second Season Syndrome Pfft Please.

megafan2005

Welcome to the thread of

TSG_Hoffenheim.png

A History Lesson

The Club was a result of a merger between two clubs, Turnveiren Hoffenheim (A gymnastics club) and Fußballverein Hoffenheim, in 1945. Even in the 1990s the club were still playing in the low levels of German football, the eighth division. In the 1990s a former youth player Dietmar Hopp (co-founder of major software producer SAP) began investment in the club. After steady improvements with the money given by Hopp, the club began the next step in it's development in 2006 by making a variety of changes to it's playing and non-playing staff with Ralf Rangnick, formerly managed a variety of Bundesliga teams, appointed manager. The team were promoted in the 2006/2007 team to the 2nd division in German football the 2. Bundesliga. Astonishingly the team were promoted after one season there to the Bundesliga. Their first season in the Bundesliga started with so much promise leading the table before the winter break. Injury to Bosnian hitman Vedad Ibišević in a friendly during the German winter break scuppered the team's somewhat amazing strike force with Ibišević having the best chance of beating Gerd Müller's 40 goal haul for many years, after having racked up 18 goals in 17 matches.

Real Life Starting XI

GK - Timo Hildebrand

DR - Andreas Beck

DL - Christian Eichner

DC - Marvin Compper

DC - Josip Simunic

MC - Sejad Salihovic

MC - Luiz Gustavo

MC - Carlos Eduardo

AMR/FC - Demba Ba

AML/FC - Chinedu Obasi

FC - Vedad Ibišević

Football Manager Info

Nation - Germany

Year Founded - 1899

Status - Professional

Reputation - National

Chairman Status - Loves the club

Legends – Dietmar Hopp

Icons – None

Favoured Personnel – Ralf Rangnick, Chinedu Obasi, Tomislav Maric, Vedad Ibišević

Fierce Rivals - None

Other Rivals - None

Finances - Secure

Average Ticket Price - £19.60

Average Season Ticket Price - £300

Season Ticket Holders - 20000

Estimated Value - £47.5M

Continental Competition - None

Media Prediction - 10th

Stadium - Rhein-Neckar-Arena (Sinsheim, 30000, 25000 seated)

Training Facilities - Top training facilities

Youth Facilities - Excellent youth facilities + Youth Academy

Expections - Safe Mid-Table position

Transfer Budget - £1.7M for Mid-Table Finish, £2.3M for Top Half Finish, £2.5M for Continental Qualification Through League Finish, £2.7M for Title Challenge, £2.9M for Winner

Wage Budget - £375k a week too £450k

Squad Analysis

Goalkeeper - In Timo Hildebrand you have one of the best in the Bundesliga between the sticks and Ozcan is a adequate backup for now

Defenders - Another fairly strong position, Beck definatly will always be a standout player in your team and Compper/Simunic centrally will do a good job

Midfielders - The weakest part of the squad but still solid nonetheless, Luis Gustavo is brilliant at the start as is Carlos and Salihovic and Zuculini is a real good prospect for the future

Strikers - Only problem here is deciding which of the three should start, with my preference being Obasi and Ibisevic

Overall a really good squad who I feel can easily qualify for the Europa League and push for more if kept together

Preffered Lineup

TEAM-1.png

Was my favourite career game on FM09, got addicted to my Hoffenheim save at one point.

Hopefully it will be the same again this year, as soon as I get bored with my current 2 saves, this will be certainly the next one I start.

Great OP by the way megafan2005 :thup: Great stuff.

Started with them on my fist FM10 career. Starting lineup:

------------------------demba ba-----------------------

---carlos eduardo-----------------------------obasi-----

---------------zuculini-----------salihovic---------------

-----------------------luiz gustavo---------------------

----Eichner-------Compper-------Simunic------Beck-----

-----------------------hildebrand-----------------------

ST - trequartista - attack

AML/AMR - inside forwards - attack

MCd - central midfielder - support

MCa - advanced playmaker - attack

DM - anchor man - defence

DR/DL - fullbacks - auto

DCl (compper) - cd - cover

DCr (simunic) - cd - stopper

Formation's awesome. Demba Ba and Ibisevic scored a lot of goals for me with trequartista role.

Have to say I've been put off by my previous FM German experiences. Left my Sunderland (Uefa cup knockout stages at this point) team to join Bayern Leverkusen, previous German champions on my old FM 09 save... really didn't go well. Started a Hoffe game and loving the attacking talent. Obasi and Ba work really well together, especially with the 4-5-1, obasi as an inside winger.

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

i'm thinking about giving Hoff a go after reading up a bit on them. Seems like an interesting club IRL and a fun challenge on the game. Just a couple of questions i would appreciate if anyone can answer.

First, for those who know the club, if i were to set Hopp as a sugardaddy (which it seems like he should be), what sort should i make him with the editor?

second, how difficult is it to hold onto your good players such as Obasi etc.

cheers in advance

Hey,

i just started with hoffe. I got many offers for players like Ba, Obasi, Compper. But I kept them. I bought some potential wonder kids and pimped my coach staff. I stick to the tactics Hoffe plays in reallife (attacking, fast, direct passes) and it works fine! After 5 games I am second in league (Werder Bremen is top 1).

hi guys,

i'm thinking about giving Hoff a go after reading up a bit on them. Seems like an interesting club IRL and a fun challenge on the game. Just a couple of questions i would appreciate if anyone can answer.

First, for those who know the club, if i were to set Hopp as a sugardaddy (which it seems like he should be), what sort should i make him with the editor?

second, how difficult is it to hold onto your good players such as Obasi etc.

cheers in advance

I'd go with Background but thats just my impression, maybe others who are closer to the club can verify that.

I found it easier to keep the key players than in 09, but I only played one season so far with them so might just be luck :)

I'd go with Background but thats just my impression, maybe others who are closer to the club can verify that.

I found it easier to keep the key players than in 09, but I only played one season so far with them so might just be luck :)

cheers for the reply mate

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, my first post on FM10. Started a save with Hoffenheim and thoroughly enjoying it. 1 season down and achieved a champions league place which comes nicely with good prize money for league position. First season i signed Ansaldi for left back position (3.0m), Ottl on loan as back up for defensive midfield and Otamendi (4.0m) who is to join at the end of the season. No players sales of note.

Into start of season 2 and i've added Toni Kroos to the ranks with (8.0m). Will need some more home grown players due to European restrictions. Stadium was expanded by 5k. Downside was losing Weis on a free transfer to Bayern.

Anyone else playing as Hoffenheim? Feel free to recommend any up and coming German youngsters.

Many Thanks...

I signed players over 48 months with 0 amount up front. Into second season now. 8 games through and using 4-1-2-1-2 formation. Added Hummels from Dortmund. Champions league group is Zenit, Man City & Olympiakos. Obasi is on great form with 13 goals already this season.

What tactic did you go for with Hoffenheim Starfish? Take it you are using 10.2 patch...

Ok here's my story with the Hoff.

First Season 09/10

League finish - 3rd

German Cup - Quarter Final (knocked out by Bielefield.... on penalties..)

Transfers

In: Matthias Forster - £2.1m (Brilliant young German CB)

Out: Chinedu Obasi - £9.5m (Napoli came in for him and he wanted to go so I let him)

Summary

Brilliant first season, delighted to secure Forster who looks like he has massive potential. Shame to lose Obasi but my squad can swallow that loss with the likes of Ba and Carlos Eduardo.

Second Season 10/11

League Finish - 6th

German Cup - Third Round (knocked out by Leverkusen.... on penalties..)

Champions League - Knocked out in Champions League Best Placed Playoff (so into the EURO Cup)

EURO Cup - EURO Cup Second Round (knocked out by Leverkusen.... just normally..)

Transfers

In: Jano Ananidze - Free (from Spartak Moscow)

Mahamadou Diarra - Free (from Real Madrid)

Neymar - £14.75m (from Santos)

Bruno Zuculini - £18k (from Racing Club - brother of Franco Zuculini!)

Juan Roman Riquelme - Free (from Boca)

Salomon Kalou - £4.6m (from Chelsea)

Out: Demba Ba - £13m (to Villa)

Carlos Eduardo - £10m (to Athletico)

Philipp Klingmann - Free (to Trier)

Josip Simunic - £1.9m (to Roma)

Also, released 13 unneeded youth/reserve players

Summary

Could have been the extra games in Europe that tired my squad out, could have been the number of new faces but we failed to improve on our finish from last year. Lost Ba and Eduardo who were both pretty key players. But secured Neymar and three excellent players on frees. Salomon Kalou was a pretty inspired buy I thought.

Third Season 11/12

League finish - 2nd

German Cup - Won!

Transfers

In: Ibrahim Afellay - £9.5m (from PSV)

Vaclav Kadlec - £2.3m (from Sparta Prague)

Mame Biram Diouf - £4.7m (from Man Utd)

Axel Witsel - £16.25m (from Standard)

Mauricio Isla - £9.25m (from Udinese)

Vagner Love - £3.1m (from CSKA Moscow)

Thomas Farber - £6.5m (from Karlsruhe)

Out: Andreas Beck - £8.25m (from FC Bayern)

Ramazan Ozcan - £575k (from Everton)

Wellington - £1.5m (from Reggina)

Franco Zuculini - £11.75m (from Sevilla)

Salomon Kalou - £12.25m (from Genoa)

Juan Roman Riquelme - £700k (from Boca)

Maicosuel - Loan Fee £1.3m (from Corinthians)

Mame Biram Diouf - £6.25m (from Ajax)

Summary

Couldn't be happier with the squad's performance this season, realistically we were never going to be able to topple Bayern who with Ribery and Robben have two players that can change any game. Lost a few key players such as Beck, Zuculini and Kalou but the acquisitions of Afellay, Kadlec, Witsel and Isla in the summer definitely eased those problems. Vagner Love came in January and made a significant contribution by being an extra option for Neymar, Ibisevic and Kadlec.

Fourth Season 12/13

Just about to start my fourth season and have lost Diarra to Wolfsburg on a free.

Current Squad

GK: Timo Hildebrand

DR: Mauricio Isla

DL: Christian Eichner

DC: Matthias Jaissle

DC: Marvin Compper

DM: Luiz Gustavo

AML: Axel Witsel

AMR: Tobias Weis

AMC: Ibrahim Afellay

FC: Vagner Love

FC: Neymar

Subs: Jens Grahl, Vedad Ibisevic, Vaclav Kadlec, Jano Ananidze, Souleymane Doumbia, Matthias Forster, Andreas Ibertsberger.

Hot Prospects: Cedric Lefeuvre, Souleymane Doumbia (Hoffe Academy!), Matthias Forster.

Entering my third season at Hoff. My second season was far and away my best.

Bundesliga 2009/10 - 4th

DFB-Pokal Winner 2011

Bundesliga Champions 2011

Champions League Group Stage 2010/11 - 3rd place (Liverpool, Real Madrid, Basel)

Europa League Semi-Finalists 2010/11 (knocked out by Manchester United)

Top Scorers:

2009/10 - Demba Ba (18)

2010/11 - Robert Acquafresca (23)

Transfers 2009/10:

hoff09-10.jpg

Palermo was very useful for me. Scored 12 goals with a 7.02 Avg rating. Paulo's transfer wasn't to go through until 2011. Villa proved a reliable backup at holding midfielder. Papadopoulos didn't go through until 2010. Sol Campbell and Denilson also played a fair bit. Skjelbred hasn't featured a whole lot even after two seasons. Enyeama did not displace Hildebrand until the next season (for salary reasons).

Transfers 2010/11:

hoff10-11.jpg

Acquafresca was the signing of the season. Closely followed by Ballack on a free! Signed Rame as a backup keeper for Enyeama. Every one of my signings performed well, Kakuta is coming over in 2011.

Demba Ba wanted to leave, so he was allowed. Hildebrand was solid, but his salary was high and Enyeama was performing just as well as him for a fraction of the cost, so he was allowed to leave on a free. Lyon also took Obasi and Weis from me. They really liked my players apparently. Denilson and Campbell were released after losing too much due to age.

Transfers 2011/12:

hoff11-12.jpg

Edit: Sold Skjelbred to Villarreal for 6.5mill after a disappointing spell.

I don't think I'll be making any more signings this off season. Turgay Eker is a regen beast I found at Galatasaray. One goal in three league games and a hattrick in the cup. I expect more to come from him!

I also should be able to get to the CL knockout stages after drawing AZ, Atletico Madrid and Shakhtar. The CL looks a little soft in general this season with many smaller clubs making it to the group stages:

clgroups.jpg

• 1 month later...

Recently started as hoffenheim , had to change the stadium in the game thanks for guys help picking team and mentioning that to me :) but anyway here was my season :

Transfers : out

demba ba 11million euro's

chinedu obasi 16million euro's ( both to chelsea i thought i could reshape my squad be selling them to )

per nilsson 1.3million euro's - bham city

Transfers in :

sergi 35k

Artem milevskyi 5million

rafael toloi 6.25million

yannick djalo 600k

danny wilson 4.6million

anthony annan 4.5million

alex song . 5million ( january deal )

craig walsh 55k ( january deal )

The season was a success , media prediction was 7th which i overachived , was a very intresting run in at the end of the season with me beating bayern 3-2 then bayern going on a bad streak !! my final game of the season agaisnt hannover was a 1-0 win due to a own goal you can see how important that was

gerlt.jpg

i played a simple 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond formation i did use the corner tactic wether i will use it next year or not i dont know i wanted to see how it worked for a full seaosn i did notice the computer does it but in a diffrent way i got 25 goals from corners in the end , i dont think it played major part in the season didnt score of every corner i had around 6corners a game maybe and i had major injury problems at times with my main man carlos eduardo breaking his leg out for most of the season then song broke his leg and luiz gustavo torn his ligaments :(

German cup final . i had to play HSV and from our league meetings i dont like playing them , they tend to bully me lol . but the result finished by me winning 1-0 !!! due to a mikael lustig own goal , been a unbelievable season hard to describe apart from being amazing

( want a screenshot just ask im being lazy lol )

im in the clubs favoured personal now which is suprising after 1 season and my job status is untoucable ..

Team stats :

hofft.jpg

just to had i have adriano joining on a free transfer when his contract runs out & i forgot to fix the german national team before i start so thats annoying no1 gets called up i dont know if regens get called up eventually or not ..

any comments or questions feel free to ask =]

edit players .. salihovic won german footballer of year

and i picked up both maanger awards =]

christian eicher and salihovic where in team of the season and i cant expand stadium because the council are jelly babies

major update being after my fulham save went bust and i meen corrupted this save soon followed after my 1st season so i had to decide to take big measures therefore i wiped everything off my comp and started again dont think i will be hoffenheim though , yet i reccomend people trying it =]

recently started a hoffenheim game and so far really enjoying it

currenty in second place (just) in Feb 2010 so quite happy with my form

had a major shake up of the squad which is currently looking like this:

----------------Ochoa------------------

Beck----Otemendi---Compper---Eichner

--------Salihovic----Gustavo----------

Wijnaldum------------------------Albin

---------------Eduardo----------------

---------------Cardozo----------------

Bench: Lukaku (absolute machine even at 16 years of age), Zuculini, Simunic, Hilderbrand, and rotate the others

Very happy with my youthful team and their results so far.

Just started a Hoffe save last night(10.3). Still in pre season, so not much going on. Signed Annan, the midfield seemed to have lots of silk but not enough steel. At £3m (48 months) Annan should shore things up. Playing a Barca style 4-3-3 with Obasi and Ba as Inside Forwards.

Sold lots of the chaff but not getting much money for them.

Watch this space for more news of Edgars adventures in Germany.

my team is really firing at the moment. just won the league in my second season. this year ill go for champions league glory:

current team:

----------------Adler------------------

Beck----Otemendi---Sahko---Renan

--------Vukcevic----Eduardo----------

Suarez------------------------Buenanotte

---------Lukaku------Cardozo-----------

Bench: Wijnaldum, Eichner, Salihovic, Sessegnon, Albin, Regen GK, Regen CM

Getting really into this save. Up to December 1st season and currently 3rd, 4pts off Stuttgart in 1st (just lost to them at their place to end a 10 game unbeaten run). Highlight of the season so far was beating Bayern 1-0 at home, deserved much more cos we played them off the park. Going well in the cup too, just as well seeing as the board are demanding a semi final place.

Salihovic, Ba, Obasi and Annan are fantastic, really doing well along with Mr Clean Sheet himself, Hildebrand. Only player really underperforming is Ibisevic, playing him as complete striker, support on his own up front and just can't seem to get him going. Any thoughts on him would be great!

Maybe try him as a poacher?

Ahh, others are looking in here!

Thanks Hopey, only issue with that is that I really want my striker on a support role as I'm only playing the 1 up top. Having said that I used a similar formation with Spurs and had JD up front as a poacher and he did the business, so may give it a try.

I have also just splashed £12m on Fred in January. Ibisevic can either shape up or Fred will force him to sit on the bench. :D

You can just lower his mentality from the default poacher settings to around 8-11.

Just you and me then Hopey!

Thanks, hadn't thought of that, might well give that a go, really want to stay with as many of the original players as possible.

Having said that, the big clubs are sniffing around everyone and unsettling half my team. Only 10 days left in January to stave them off.

Luiz Gustavo has gone to Porto. With only 2 days of the window left I've signed Sandro to replace him (I know they are different style players). Just hoping I can hold onto Ba and Obasi and that they don't get too miserable if I do!

Also signed Koke for the future, at £375k I couldn't resist.

Probably just writing this for my own amusement. But finished the 1st season in 4th, a bit annoying because I only lost once to the 3 teams above (Bayern, Schalke and Stuttgart, who beat me). The end of season took its toll as injuries and suspensions pushed us out of CL slot. Did win the German cup though, beating Schalke 2-0 :)

Despite a succesful season a number of my best players will be on their way, Ba, Obasi and Commper probably will be the biggest losses. Should have cash to rebuild though. Europe here we come!

Decent finish in fourth, did Ibišević pick up?

Indeed over the moon with 4th, it just felt like I should have got more, especially after really handing it to some of the big boys.

No luckily Fred despite being unsettled scored enough.

With all the changes to the squad I'm changing formation to 4-3-1-2, hoping that Ibisevic will prosper with a partner.

Thanks again Hopey, it really is just you and me!

Anyway lots of movement in and out at Hoffe in the summer. Ba, Obasi, Compper, Ibertsberger, Eichner and some minor players all out. For the incoming I decided to put Herr Hopps pockets to the test and splashed out on some 48 month purchases: Lukaku (£22m), Mertesacker (£21m), Rakitskiy (sp? £10m) and Lars Bender (£9.75m) being the biggest outlays. They've all fitted in well apart from Lukaku who got injured in his 1st game for 8 weeks :(

As I said I've changed to 4-3-1-2 and it definitely seems to suit both Fred and Ibisevic more, both have started the season strong. The rest of the squad fit well into this system and I definitely think despite the players lost we are much stronger this.

The board are extremely demanding though, this year they want a title challenge, German cup finalist and Europa League semis! I was a little disturbed to get a EL group of Villa, Porto and Bronby! The semis may be a stretch too far this year, but gives me something to aim for!

Forgot I also got Miranda (£14m) in my spending spree, him and Mertesacker have formed a tight partnership. Coming along nicely this season, top going into November although I've just lost Carlos Eduardo til February, thank god for the winter break.

I know there is little chance of anyone reading this who might answer so I may well make it a GD topic, but I'll try here first anyway:

When managing in Germany how many winter break friendlies do you play? With the long break they are kinda needed but they scare me. After all last year IRL Ibesevic was mashed for the rest of the season in one!

I know there is little chance of anyone reading this who might answer so I may well make it a GD topic, but I'll try here first anyway:

When managing in Germany how many winter break friendlies do you play? With the long break they are kinda needed but they scare me. After all last year IRL Ibesevic was mashed for the rest of the season in one!

about 4 or 5 from memory.

about 4 or 5 from memory.

Other people are watching!

Thanks. I've lined up 4 for this break, just going to take it very easy.

In other news, I got Real Madrid in the 1st ko round of the Europa League :( and am top at the break, 3 pts ahead of schalke, who are 6 pts ahead of Bayern.

Finished the 2nd season as Champions, 4 pts clear of Schalke. Had a wobble after the winter break but got stuck in on the run in, beating Schalke 2-1 at their place to settle the title with 2 games left!! After Carlos Eduardo ended up going to Lazio I bought in Ozil (see above) and Riquelme (cheap, experienced, got injured in his 4th game). Lost to Real in the 1st ko round of Euro Cup.

The above bug has annoyed me, I was stretching the finances anyway, don't need another £15m draining out. So I've started a Lyon save instead. Might come back to this for CL glory.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings

I ve recently started a Hoffenheim game, and it the first german team i m managing in FM 2010 !

First year ended, played 4-5-1 formation with BA being the lone striker, obasi and gentner (my new transfer from wolfsburg) on the wings. i ve also brought Annan and those two were basically my only signings first season.

finished 6th in the league but won the german cup.

second season i m changing the formation to 4-4-2

I've brought Negredo from Sevilla and he will be BA's partner.

i m also trying to buy Neuer from Schalke but it looks like i m going to have to spend a lot of money for that transfer to go through.

Archived