Creating Chances, Scoring Goals - made simple

I've been a big fan of the CM/FM series since CM 93/94, I've bought and played every version since then. So over the years I've seen the changes and worked out the best way to play on pretty much all of them. However, 9.0.3 has proven to be the toughest test yet, and from reading alot of the posts on this forum I know many people will agree with me. It's hard, but possible.

In all my CM/FM years I've never felt the need to post a tactic which I've created, this is the first time a tactic has excited me enough to feel compelled to do so. I must stress that this tactic has had limited testing, I've only used it with a well settled Blackburn team, which I have built up over 6 seasons to contain pretty decent players. So I'm not saying this is the definative tactic and will work for everyone, but it's by far the most success that I've had and would really appreciate some feedback from you guys on this.

tacticssnn.jpg

instructions.jpg

So here's the formation, very attacking. It actually balances out to be very similar to the way Barcelona play in real life, with the 2 AMC's being the creators like Xavi/Iniesta, the holding midfielder being overlapped by WB's and 3 Strikers providing Width but looking to cut in and score more than cross. Please also be aware that the game engine does seem to penalise the ratings of AMC's when they don't get goals or assists, don't worry about this, they still make their passes and they still help the team play the way they are meant to. But the right players can get excellent ratings here.

This formation does have a weakness, there is a tendancy to condede goals to long-range screamers as there is a bit of a gap when CM's get forward, sides with good CM's will probably get a goal or 2 from these, but I back this tactic to score more - I think it's a bit of a Kevin Keegan philosophy, and in keeping with that alot of the instructions are global. Mentality, Creative Freedom, Passing all are.

The idea is that despite playing direct passing, because the width is narrow the players can complete the direct passes with a high degree of accuracy (usually around 80%+), low timewasting and high tempo mean that teams don't get time to 'park the bus'. It does result in some shots being blocked, but we can get over that when we score 4 or 5. Nobody runs with the ball behind the front 5, so again the focus is on getting the ball forward quickly. Then long shots are out of the question ans we don't want speculative efforts, we want to create Clear Cut Chances, so Through Balls are often for the AMC's, long shots are Rarely.

Beacuse of the way the tactic plays there are some key attributes your team will need in order to play this way; The Key Stats for all (except the CB's) are Decisons, Passing, First Touch & Technique

Goalkeeper - Reflexes, Arial Ability, Kicking & Throwing

CB's - Postioning, Marking, Tackling and Concentration are vital - Strength and Jumping help

WB's - Passing, Workrate, Teamwork, Positioning

DMC - Teamwork, Workrate, Passing, Tackling

AMC's - Dribbling, Creativity, Flair plus high levels of the 4 key stats

ST's - Pace, Flair, Finishing, Long Shots, Dribbling plus high levels of the 4 key stats.

Right, with that said, here's how I've been getting on;

tablef.jpg

fixtures.jpg

As you can see, lots of goals scored on a consistent basis. I think that after half a season teams are starting to adapt, but I still dominate the games and still score at least 3 goals a game almost always. The defeat to Porto came after some tweaking (which clearly didn't work!).

Now from having spent alot of time on this and having made many tweaks (especially to the defensive line and the passing) I am certain this is the best combination of instructions for these tactics. But if somebody discovers otherwise then I'd be delighted to hear about it.

Now to show that these scoreline were well deserved, I have selected some Screenies from some of the 'big' games to show how we've played.

arsenal51.jpg

manc40.jpg

rangers52.jpg

chelsea32.jpg

So there we have it. Hopefully you'll agree that the results are impressive. Given the necessity of the 4 key stats I don't know how well lower league teams would get on with this, but against lower standard teams, I see no reason not to try it and I certainly think that lower level Premiership teams and even reasonable championship teams can give this a go - I know my brother had some real success with Wolves using this. The download link is below, please try this and let me know how you get on, I'm really excited about this tactic and would really love to know well it can work for other teams.

...and a very good post it was too. :)

Why thank you :)

Marvellous, although I'm slightly worried that the corner exploit may have inflated the results?

I'm going to update the transfers and try this with Real :D

Well, there's no doubt corners do bring some goals, but in this particular season out of 58 goals, 9 have come from corners, a couple more than the rest of the league, but nothing crazy - I have had 30+ goals from corners in seasons past.

Besides, if you study the match stats there's clearly more to the tactic than corners, when teams like Arsenal at Emirates create nothing. And despite having 4-6 Corners per game, I'm still getting 30+ Chances.

So point taken on the corners and I've had some success with them, but I certainly don't believe that they mak the results false, not in this season.

My Centre Back does take my free kicks (very well) and penalties though, and scores plenty of those per season - last season he got 24 goals in all :D

I don't wanna get too carried away but in my 1st game using your tactic this was the result : Man City 8-2 Newcastle.

Incredible stuff considering i'm already 16 games into my 1st season and the team hasn't even got used to this tactic yet.

Robinho got 4 goals by the way which i was pleased with.

I'll report back.

I don't wanna get too carried away but in my 1st game using your tactic this was the result : Man City 8-2 Newcastle.

Incredible stuff considering i'm already 16 games into my 1st season and the team hasn't even got used to this tactic yet.

Robinho got 4 goals by the way which i was pleased with.

I'll report back.

Well that's certainly a good start, I've not managed 8 goals in a game! I've had 6 a few times, but no more than that.

Let's hope that keeps going, would be interested to hear how you get on. Robinho is a perfect forward for these tactics, his pace and dribbling mean he should wreak havoc in the opposition defenses.

Very Intrguing and different tactic from what i normally see! Also good OP.

Going to give this a go with my Man United Team in my second season don't have all the right players for the positions but just played my first game Tottenham Away and got a cheeky 2 - 1 win, So ill see how it goes and post back my results.

After 10 Prem Games I've Accumulated 28 Points:)

Wes, soungs like it's working nicely for you. how's the goals for/against working for you?

Dempseyslob:

This tactic is a fairly new one I've created, I used it all last season, but with different Instructions/setting. I's only about 5/6 games into this season that I was completely happy with all the settings. But lat year, the Wide Strikers were 15-20 goals each. Central striker was about 35. The AMC's also got 10-15 each. These are rough figures, but it's also roughly what they're on course for this season too. The great thing is everyone gets goals, the DMC, WB's, even CB's get some. This season all 10 Outfield positions have scored at least once.

Give it a go, see how you get on.

Wes, soungs like it's working nicely for you. how's the goals for/against working for you?

Matches Played: 20

Goals Scored: 44 (2.2)

Goals Conceded: 19 (0.9)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Past 4 Games i've conceeded 10! Which has brought my GC up, i still dominated the teams i was against but Sergio Asenjo has a bit of a shocker aswell as some of my other defenders i blame this on my team talks as they has poor ratings but stilll has loads of shots.

Also there is still some downfall's within my squad Gary Neville is WBR and a lot of players are retraining positions to cover the tactic i think over this season adn next once i buy more players to suit the tactic and they get used to it, my results will improve.

it's true, it does concede on average a goal a game for me, good DC's and a good DMC are important to keep thid down - but for me it scores more than 3 per game, thus winning nearly every game.

If anyone can make it more solid defensively without comprimising the attacking qualities, i would be interested to hear how

I play with the W-M which is similar to this tactic just flip the defensive side of things around... I was struggling to get my central striker scoring consistently, so I will see what settings you have for him, cheers.

Intriguing to say the least. Probably work a charm with good sides, but have you tested with lower leagues? Just concerned that the defenders would not be able to hold up their end of the bargain. Might try it with my Rotherham club for a spell at Home.

I think with this tactic of course good teams will have more success, the idea of this tactic is to create chances and score goals. It doesn't take a huge amount of consideration for the defensive elements of the game. Those teams good enough to dominate with these tactics will obviously not come under much defensive pressure and as such won't concede many. Those who cannot retain posession will struggle I think.

This tactic is possibly one for every manage to have in their 'armoury' for when you get frustrated against a team 'parking the bus'. I think to that end it is useful for everyone. That is what this is designed to beat.

For weaker teams playing strong sides, perhaps something else is required. But for all those managers seeking goals and entertainment for their Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Barca, Real etc who have good players and wish to make them perform. I think that is where this can become a 'week-in week-out' tactic.

Without peopel trying this though, I doubt I would have been able to ascertain that. So the efforts are appreciated.

Intriguing to say the least. Probably work a charm with good sides, but have you tested with lower leagues? Just concerned that the defenders would not be able to hold up their end of the bargain. Might try it with my Rotherham club for a spell at Home.

I used it in the Spanish Third Division. They always kept clean sheets. Goals were a worry though, partly because my strikers were worse than my defenders :D

Hi again, I have to say that against weaker sides this tactic is great but i suffered defeats against Man Utd 4-1 and Arsenal 2-1 with a good man city side.

This tactic isn't very good against bigger sides and i think most people want that in a tactic.

Hi again, I have to say that against weaker sides this tactic is great but i suffered defeats against Man Utd 4-1 and Arsenal 2-1 with a good man city side.

This tactic isn't very good against bigger sides and i think most people want that in a tactic.

Well as you can see from the results above, I've hammered Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea with this tactic. So I think that with a settled squad and the right players it does work against big teams.

Anyway, as I said above, the conclusion seems to be that this is a great tactic to use against weaker, 'park the bus' teams. And I think we've all been frustrated by those in the past!

Come on guys, give this guy a break. He has never alleged that this tactic is without error or some kinde of new diablo. Instead to lambast tactics let us find out how to improve this tactic defensively, since it is this that seems to be the biggest problem.

kingmike666: Do you use any in-game tweaks? Witch pitch size you choose with this tactic? What tweaks have you tried? Have you tried to increased the DL a little? Have you tried to lower mantality when you play against better teams? Have you tried to move the AM to the CM position, maybe this could be the solution to the problem when playing against better teams, because it looks like it might be a little empty at the center of midfield in certain situations? Tell us more about how, and what, have you tried to tweak and what kinde of effect did you see.

i was just involved in a insane first match with this tactic!, playing as Spurs after around 16 games i decided to use it against Everton away from home.. i opted for Di Maria, Defoe and Keane upfront in that order.. after 18minutes i was 4-1 up!!, Ledley King got injured after 30mins but i carried on using this formation (defensive? no chance mate) for the remaining duration of the game..4-4!!. Defoe bagged a hatrick. going forward this tactic is lethal..Everton scored 2 long range efforts and i can tell this is gonna be a problem, but it appears to be superb attacking tactic, good way to come out of the traps early, take a lead and then change tactics to a more defensive minded.

this was a match i played online in a league i got going with a friend, going to try it again now in a new single player game as Man City..see what happens. i'm quite excited for a change!.was getting bored of this game!.

Come on guys, give this guy a break. He has never alleged that this tactic is without error or some kinde of new diablo. Instead to lambast tactics let us find out how to improve this tactic defensively, since it is this that seems to be the biggest problem.

kingmike666: Do you use any in-game tweaks? Witch pitch size you choose with this tactic? What tweaks have you tried? Have you tried to increased the DL a little? Have you tried to lower mantality when you play against better teams? Have you tried to move the AM to the CM position, maybe this could be the solution to the problem when playing against better teams, because it looks like it might be a little empty at the center of midfield in certain situations? Tell us more about how, and what, have you tried to tweak and what kinde of effect did you see.

I never make any tweaks in-game, now 26 games into my season, Won 21 drawn 5. So haven't needed to - sometimes a half-time b****cking and 1 or 2 subs have been needed, but no change of tactics.

Pitch size, I use a large pitch, gives the space for my AMC's to get into and for my ST's to make runs, of course the net result is more space for the opposition midfield in front of my CB's.

Mentality is actually now lower than I used to play, used to play with 2 clicks more, but I found this improved my performance and consistency immeasurably so stuck with it - haven't really tested a mentality of lower than this.

I've not tried moving the AMC's to CM, I imagine this might add some protection to the DMC and CB's but I think it would leave the MC's too far away from the ST's to play effective through balls with 80% accuracy.

Defensive Line is the only thing I've done some playing with. Pushing the Defensive line right up, to 2 clicks from the top has worked to improve defensive stability on the few occassions I've done it. Because there are only 2 CB, it's easy for them to manage an Offside trap high up the pitch. I haven't tested this against good teams though, and I have found it does detract somewhat from the attacking elements of the tactics because you are no longer inviting the opposition onto you, in order to find space in behind their midfield. They tend to then play deeper.

These are definately things that can be played with and tested, however I don't have the time to effectively test all the changes properly (in 5+ matches) so if people want to give that a go and report back on how they get on. I will try to test a few ideas to improve defensive solidarity but can't promise any timescales around this. Especially as I'm enjoying my teams current level of performance :D

I feel a need to make the following post in response to the people who have just spat their dummies out at getting beaten a couple of times and deciding that this tactic has no defense.

I have continued to use the tactic posted above for another 10-15 games and the team have settled into it really well. As teams have become mroe defensive and expectant of the tactic, the average goals per game has dropped from around 4 to around 3, but now I don't concede goals. With this same tactic, my players now used to it, I have kept 10 Clean Sheets in my last 11 games and won every single one of them. I am still unbeaten in the league, with vastly superior goal difference. My Wide Strikers are now scoring a bucket load of goals, and the style of the football the team is playing is just amazing to watch.

Here's a picture of the current league table

table2w.jpg

A list of my recent reults to show the clean sheets

fixtures2.jpg

and despite the no timewasting, high tempo, direct passing football, the pass accuracy is excellent all rounds and the goals are shared quite well.

playerstatso.jpg

So maybe those impatient children should give this a few games?

This looks like a good tactic, but I have a good tactic of my own, and I'm well into the season, so I don't want to change stuff around. But I think people are jumping to conclusions. You can't use the tactic for one game and judge it based on that. You need to use it for at least 10+ games.

Tried this with man u with a front 3 of camoranese, berbatov and balotelli with rooney and scholes behind. We got stuffed 4: 0 at home to man city. 15 shots, one on target. Dont think I will pursue this, but good luck anyway with it

You just sound like a rubbish manager never lost at home 4-0 with Man Utd even with the worst tactics i've tried.

Think this tactic is great scores a shed load of goals plays quick entertaining football have lost twice in about 25 games against Barcelona and Valencia but can definately accept the odd defeat for some of the massive wins i've had. Haven't even got the team i want yet so with a couple of signings here and there think it will make the tactic even better.

You just sound like a rubbish manager never lost at home 4-0 with Man Utd even with the worst tactics i've tried.

Think this tactic is great scores a shed load of goals plays quick entertaining football have lost twice in about 25 games against Barcelona and Valencia but can definately accept the odd defeat for some of the massive wins i've had. Haven't even got the team i want yet so with a couple of signings here and there think it will make the tactic even better.

Aye, you may very well be right. So to give the tactic a fair chance without a rubbish manager in charge, I went on holiday from mid November to end December and left Phelan to pick who he liked within this tactic. Four points clear at the top before I go with my own 442. Results as follows (goals/shots/shots on target)

Chelsea 1/28/10 Mom Ashley Cole

Man U 0/9/0

Shalke 3/18/12

Man U 2/7/3 MoM Edwin van Der Sar

Man U 3/16/9 Mom Mario Balotelli

Spurs 1/2/1

Man U 4/20/8 Mom Jonny Evans

Villa 0/14/5

Man U 4/15/7 Mom Nemanja Vidic

Zenit 1/17/6

Osaka 0/1/0

Man U 4/27/13 Mom Mauro Camoranese

Man U 6/30/11 Mom Mauro camoranese

Pachuca 0/10/1

Boro 2/11/4

Man U 4/15/8 Mom Nani

Man U 1/24/6

Wigan 1/10/3 Mom Mario Melchiot

One point in front in Epl with two games in hand, won world club chanpionship.

I would have expected to lose at Chelsea any way so given that it looks it took three games to settle before kicking in it does score goals and create chances. Dunno what happened at the wigan match mind you.

Verdict: Scores loads more than my own

Nice to see good results with it. I tried the same formation with my Hull side as a variant on the WM but had mixed success so changed to a 433 which was stronger for me all round. I'm at a point now where I need a change tactically for next season and I was going to go back to a 442 but your post has made me tempted to have a go developing my WW again. Perhaps with stronger players now than I had before it'd be more successful. I see you have the likes of Aguero, Marquinhos and Fernandez which supports my conclusion that my previous set of players just weren't high enough quality to get this formation to work.

With a few key purchases over the summer I may just have another look at this formation.

Well done with yours :)

Ok, so i decided to try it with Liverpool..usually with the following starting XI:

lineupz.th.jpg

pretty strong side i reckon, so you would expect a set of half decent results, despite a brilliant pre season this isnt the case..

resultsp.th.jpg

leaguetable.th.jpg

the results are poor to say the least but in each individual match, i've actually battered my opponents! as this shows:

dominatef.th.jpg

every single game i get plus 10 blocked shots and very few CCC. just dont understand it. this tactic certainly has potential and i'm trying to give it more time but as Liverpool and a new board on the way i dont have much time..

This tactic seems to be very good but i get random results. Its as if the game has an in built defense against it.

I batter teams i am better than for 5 games then the computer decides that I am not allowed to win again and the super keeper turns up. I bang in shot after shot and their keeper keeps blocking and blocking, pushes shots onto bar and post etc. Then they have one shot and score. Its as if you are not allowed to win. PLayers play well, i even had 67% possession and managed to lose! I use the sexy football tactic as a denfensive one now to try and halt the runs of defeats but nothing works!

I almost feel that the game deliberately does these things to stop my team running away with the championship!

Or is it my team talks ;)

I know people try to help by putting tactics on this website but this just possibly has to be the worst there is. The defenders do not mark or close down, when they get the ball they just smash the ball forwards and then it comes straight back towards them. I do not believe for one second that anybody has any success with this unless you are saving before every game and reloading if you lose.

No doubt I will get alot of abuse for this reply as with reading alot on this forum, people get abuse for actually telling it as it is.

Back to the drawing board on this one as this is just too frustrating for words.

Oh and before anyone asks I was Sunderland, 16 games in with 1 victory, 3 draws, 12 defeats. Not took screenshots as I restarted, but my Goal Difference will be something I doubt I would ever be able to see again unless I play tactic again. MINUS 54

I know people try to help by putting tactics on this website but this just possibly has to be the worst there is. The defenders do not mark or close down, when they get the ball they just smash the ball forwards and then it comes straight back towards them. I do not believe for one second that anybody has any success with this unless you are saving before every game and reloading if you lose.

No doubt I will get alot of abuse for this reply as with reading alot on this forum, people get abuse for actually telling it as it is.

Back to the drawing board on this one as this is just too frustrating for words.

Oh and before anyone asks I was Sunderland, 16 games in with 1 victory, 3 draws, 12 defeats. Not took screenshots as I restarted, but my Goal Difference will be something I doubt I would ever be able to see again unless I play tactic again. MINUS 54

omfg man, look at his screenshots, you cannot reload every time and get results like that

I do not believe for one second that anybody has any success with this unless you are saving before every game and reloading if you lose.

This isn't abuse just me telling you straight up why people get this 'abuse'

1. Claiming someone cheats when if you actually watch one match with the tactic you could see that under certain circumstances, with the right players and a little bit of 'luck' (particularly this tactic) the results he has posted are not inconceivable

2. You played 16 matches and lost 12. If you give feedback why not give some instead of just the results? If you played 16 matches (not commentary only or holidaying) then surely you saw issues that resulted in this discrepancy between your experience and kingmike's that could be useful to others. I'm not saying you need to write a thesis as I am prone to doing, but just a few bullet points can be helpful.

3. The majority of posters do so to help others. I can understand why someone might feel aggrieved if a tactic sucks for them as they see it as a waste of their time, but to abuse the tactic creator is needless as thir intentions are good (I've found something that works for me => I'm enjoying the game more => maybe others can get the same => I'll post it on the forums).

I'm not attacking you personally, it's just that posting performance without context is pretty much pointless if you exclude those who look for a 'beats all comers regardless' tactic.

He clearly stated

- long shots issue

- the need for quality defenders due to being outnumbered in defence if the opposition attacks

- the need for pacy dribbling ST to take advantage of the counter attack

The 'luck' element of the ME will play a role in these things and the nature of this tactic plays a role in magnifying that. Secondly the extent to which this can happen depends on match odds and AI strategy. For example you see in the screenies he is doing well up to that point that the league table is shown. You also see he is current champion. Combine these things and what you get is a lower probability of defensive weaknesses being exposed because the AI will generally be more conservative (with a more conservative AI it is still open to the long shots issue but as I mentioned 'luck' will still play a role beyond attributes/morale/motivation alone).

For example it would not surprise me if the Arsenal pkm showed him taking a 2 or 3 goal lead and the AI dialing down it's strategy because of the odds, hence his demolition at the Emirates. Of course I could be wrong and if I am I'll hold my hands up and say so.

When you combine AI strategy with how this tactic magnifys the luck element, you get an explanation for why it can be random and why experiences of posters so far are so different.

As I said I'm not 'attacking' you, but if you feel offended then flame away :D

Kudos to you kingmike666 for posting :thup:

Sorry for derailing your thread but I just needed to get that off my chest :)

• 2 months later...

Archived