is the game to hard  

150 members have voted

1. 1. is the game to hard

its about time we really found out what everyone thinks about fm2009

and how hard it really is

and will this spell the end of fm

well i think it will because the hole meaning of game doesnt fit anymore

it has become to hard

for me a game is to enjoy after a hard days work or at school .its not to get you searching and reading for hours on end to find help on tactics,traning,teamtalks and all the other things you need .

yes we understand you wanted to keep the game as real as it can be

but remenber that key word game

for fans to live there dream to make there team the best and to enjoy playing

so lets vote and see if SI take any notices .

I think it's just right. I'm of the opinion that the difficulty level of the game isn't the problem, it's all the other little things; the little annoyances that gradually get to me.

Still love the game though, and I'm really enjoying playing 09.

Yes like you playing after the same team over and over but i think it can get harder its all about knowing your way aroung the game. I dont read tactics i do it myself and find out what works and on my current game with leeds i am 2nd in the championship and in my second season. There have been times when ive thought ' this is way too hard but youve got to wait till the right game comes along/ Hope this helps with any doubters.

Thanks

Jamie

p.s. miles said that the psp version is there for anyone who finds the pc/mac version too difficult/complicated in one of the podcasts ages ago

I voted yes, but there have been a number of threads about the difficulty of the game; http://www.community.sigames.com/search.php?searchid=787205

yes theres threads about this but no polls so it will be good to find out how many think its to hard .. of course if you like playing your game with big teams and loads of money to spend then mybe its not to hard ... but do we want a game thats only fun if your a big team

I agree with Wee Aja, its just about right, but i'll reserve final judgement for after the next patch comes out, hopefully in Feb. There are still lots of little things that need fixing so hopefully they will be addressed.

im not sure the next patch will change any of the game play . it might fix a few bugs here and there but in the main it will be a data update

of course if you like playing your game with big teams and loads of money to spend then mybe its not to hard ... but do we want a game thats only fun if your a big team

I don't even think the first half of that sentence is true, i've tried with big teams and still find it hard enough :D

I can't believe the OP felt the need to ask if this is the end of FM. Never will difficulty mean the end of FM. That is primarily because the game is certainly not too hard.

I'd prefer it hard anyway. The difficulty of many games is constantly being decreased to appease the masses...I play MMOs so I've seen that very clearly (Everquest was challenging, then WoW came along and there's never a challenge in MMOs anymore). We seem to live in an age where people want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

The definition of game is not something easily come by. Should anyone in the world be able to win the Snooker World Championship or be good enough to represent England at football? They're both games, and I can not imagine anyone answering yes to those questions, so why should FM be easy?

i think the games about right,i have been reading about people wanting a option to make it more easy ,whats the point thats what big clubs are for and small clubs.

so what your saying is that we can only manage a big club for a easyer game .

we are all football fans we all love our own team why would we wanna manage anouther club

I haven't played FM09 that much (I'm struggling to get into it) but I voted yes it is but its more to do with the fact that tactics are being more and more complex and I don't have the time to tweak them until I can find a basic tactic that works for my team.

The definition of game is not something easily come by. Should anyone in the world be able to win the Snooker World Championship or be good enough to represent England at football? They're both games, and I can not imagine anyone answering yes to those questions, so why should FM be easy?

At no point has anyone requested a "win at all costs" mode or said that the game should be easy, so why bring it to the table. Is having a game that is not too hard and not too easy too much to ask for? Anyone who says they prefer a game to be hard, rather than accepting that everyone wants a game that is just right, is talking nonsense.

I can't believe the OP felt the need to ask if this is the end of FM. Never will difficulty mean the end of FM. That is primarily because the game is certainly not too hard.

I'd prefer it hard anyway. The difficulty of many games is constantly being decreased to appease the masses...I play MMOs so I've seen that very clearly (Everquest was challenging, then WoW came along and there's never a challenge in MMOs anymore). We seem to live in an age where people want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

well i guess i should of put that better

by saying that games are really aimed at younger members but if its too hard to play they will no longer wanna buy it . and go for a more faster and easyer game typ

I voted about right, I think that the first season is quite difficult due to getting not only any new signings bedded in but also for the squad/team to get used to you. I think that this has quite a big influence on performances for the first year and so it does make it more difficult but after that I think as long as you don't make wholesale changes every year then it's about right.

by saying that games are really aimed at younger members but if its too hard to play they will no longer wanna buy it . and go for a more faster and easyer game typ

I've made this point a lot since 09 came out. I started playing CM/FM when I was 13ish, if I was 13 now and picked up FM09 my head would explode.

so what your saying is that we can only manage a big club for a easyer game .

we are all football fans we all love our own team why would we wanna manage anouther club

why would you want to manage lets say luton and have the most easy season you can(then you will know you wont go down whats the point)but people play there game as they like.

and to compere this game to real life is rubish ..its a game your not on the park playing your way into the england team .... and we are not asking for a win win win game ..

why would you want to manage lets say luton and have the most easy season you can(then you will know you wont go down whats the point)but people play there game as they like.

Have I missed a post in this thread? :confused:

Who said anything about having the easiest season ever? Thinking the game is too hard does not mean that you want the game to be easy, you want the game to be just right. This assertion that people want the game to be easy is way off base, yet people continually bring it up.

Everyone will have a different interpritation of what hard is.

From my personal experience, no the game is not too hard, but neither is it a doddle. I have spent a lot of time on the small details and it has paid dividends. In 10 years i have taken Hitchin to league 1, some would say that makes the game too easy becasue in reality it would never happen and they are kind of right.

I suppose mainly it depends on how you derive your fun from FM, if you just enjoy winning without having to graft for it then you would probably say that FM09 is too hard. If like me you enjoy success that is the result of real thought and effort and dedication through the seasons when you are not progressing, then it is probably about right.

Who said anything about having the easiest season ever? Thinking the game is too hard does not mean that you want the game to be easy, you want the game to be just right. This assertion that people want the game to be easy is way off base, yet people continually bring it up.

im just saying the game is just right,but people want an option to make it more easy.

your spot on .. theres a misunderstanding once you say anything about the game being hard

im just saying the game is just right,but people want an option to make it more easy.

That's fair enough, but that doesn't mean that people want the game to be super easy and win all the time. I want the game to be challenging and difficult to increase the longevity, but I don't want it to feel like a second job that I have to spend hours mastering.

AFAIC FM08 was just right, if you played it properly.

Everyone will have a different interpritation of what hard is.

From my personal experience, no the game is not too hard, but neither is it a doddle. I have spent a lot of time on the small details and it has paid dividends. In 10 years i have taken Hitchin to league 1, some would say that makes the game too easy becasue in reality it would never happen and they are kind of right.

I suppose mainly it depends on how you derive your fun from FM, if you just enjoy winning without having to graft for it then you would probably say that FM09 is too hard. If like me you enjoy success that is the result of real thought and effort and dedication through the seasons when you are not progressing, then it is probably about right.

i guess it would be good to find out the age group of most gamers on fm . because they must be loseing out of the sale of the game to younger members .

i mean most of us have come up though the real early days of cm to fm .. so would the new younger members come with todays game ,,

im saying not

That's fair enough, but that doesn't mean that people want the game to be super easy and win all the time. I want the game to be challenging and difficult to increase the longevity, but I don't want it to feel like a second job that I have to spend hours mastering.

AFAIC FM08 was just right, if you played it properly.

i can agree with that,like being a league 2 team and always getting nowhere.fair enough.but same people just want to win win win(im not saying people here are saying that tho)

but same people just want to win win win(im not saying people here are saying that tho)

That's definately not something i'd like to see, especially since there are a variety of "cheat" third party programmes that would let you do this.

the thing is we all buy the game because we have done for many many years

but once we come to our end

are the new younger members going to play like we did

and thats what i mean by this could spell the end of fm

That's a double edged argument though. I started playing CM with CM97/98, and it was pretty much pick up and play, but would you really want to see a return to that type of game? It was a good game, but I think the majority would say no.

I agree wtih what you're saying, but SI are between a rock and a hard place in that regard and a change in game to accomodate newcomers will generally be seen as a step backwards.

That's a double edged argument though. I started playing CM with CM97/98, and it was pretty much pick up and play, but would you really want to see a return to that type of game? It was a good game, but I think the majority would say no.

I agree wtih what you're saying, but SI are between a rock and a hard place in that regard and a change in game to accomodate newcomers will generally be seen as a step backwards.

yep im with you there

but i think SI worry more about us finding training cheats or great tactics .which they shouldnt if someone wants to have a traning cheat then let em

so why did SI close that hole when you could in fm2006 . by keeping that hole open you can accomdate all ..because they will have the choice

At no point has anyone requested a "win at all costs" mode or said that the game should be easy, so why bring it to the table. Is having a game that is not too hard and not too easy too much to ask for? Anyone who says they prefer a game to be hard, rather than accepting that everyone wants a game that is just right, is talking nonsense.

I never said people want a win, win, win game. You're expecting people to say that so that any comment that suggests the game shouldn't be easier will ring bells in your mind. Problem is I don't think the the game is, by any means, difficult. I've never really gotten bogged down with tactics; I picked a formation that suited the players I have and I rarely change it. I did a little reading to get the mentality of my players to be of a right standing, but that alone hasn't won me games.

The game doesn't require bogging down for ages to find a tactic that works. If you're team isn't ever winning then I think that is because your players are rubbish or you are choosing a tactic that would never work with the players you have. You could also be terrible at the mindset side of the game, by which I mean boosting player confidence etc. I think FM09 has, for the first time, found the right level for poor teams. In previous FMs it was possible to do brilliantly with the worst sides. In this FM it isn't. That is how it should be.

Of course, if you pick a low conference south side and decide to play intricate passing football then you are going to fail. If you decide to play the long ball then you may just win a few games.

Some people, I think, try too hard to find a right tactic. That, or they expect any team/player to be able to play with their favoured tactic.

---

Why on earth is it talking nonsense to suggest I want a hard/challenging game? Just because people want a game that is just right, doesn't mean there aren't people who want a challenging game. I think it is talking nonsense, and ignoring a subset of people, to suggest I am talking nonsense.

To be honest I should have said challenging rather than hard. Hard makes people think 'death-defying'. Challenging needn't be hard either.

i do think the tactics bit need more options,i dont know what sort of options but more choice.

well yes OI needs to go ..because thats just comfussing

i mean if your tell your players in your tactic not to close down or no tight marking and so on .. then why would you change that in the OI .. so whats the point off it

yes add weaker foot to main tactics set up .... like show onto weaking foot

Why on earth is it talking nonsense to suggest I want a hard/challenging game? Just because people want a game that is just right, doesn't mean there aren't people who want a challenging game. I think it is talking nonsense, and ignoring a subset of people, to suggest I am talking nonsense.

To be honest I should have said challenging rather than hard. Hard makes people think 'death-defying'. Challenging needn't be hard either.

TBH that's why I said it was nonsense, although I wasn't aiming it directly at you. Challenging is fair enough, but hard does have the appearance of making the game a struggle more than enjoyable.

and to compere this game to real life is rubish ..its a game your not on the park playing your way into the england team .... and we are not asking for a win win win game ..

Please explain why it's rubbish to compare the game with real life. This is real life. You're playing a game, just as a snooker player or a footballer are playing a game. Why would you not want a challenge?

Personally i found fm08 harder to play and could not get into it, i have played this series since cm3 and year on year things seem to have evolved for the better even if the game has become harder to play. Fm09 has got it about right not to easy but not as hard as previous versions.

So i would say just about right.

but i think SI worry more about us finding training cheats or great tactics .which they shouldnt if someone wants to have a traning cheat then let em

Precisely and this problem is typified by the removal of arrows. This was the type of formation I used in FM08, not overly reliant on arrows, but it's the tactic I like and now i'm not able to use this tactic because SI want to avoid tactics like this.

I don't care if someone uses a cheat tactic and I don't see why SI care either, we should be able to play the game whatever way we like.

i do found after every new fm its hard to start a new game,its just you have to learn how to play the new one,from the old one.

I started a thread about that a while ago, "Does a career save ruin the new game experience?". It's certainly true of me, if I hadn't enjoyed FM08 so much I would probably love FM09, but I found it very difficult to give up my old long term save.

I must say I voted the game is about right but that's because I actually enjoy the challenge the game creates. On 08 I found that with one tactic I could win pretty much everything once I got the squad together with blackburn. This time around I may have won the league, Carling cup and FA cup with man utd but I didn't win anything in the second season. This makes me want to carry on with the career just to win the title again.

I personally think the game is just the right challenge for seasoned players, but, any new comers to the series may find it extremely daunting to begin with. For me the game is easier than FM08, but only because I dropped on lucky when developing my new tactics, on only my second tweak I seemed to nail it for my team. Normally on a new version it takes a season or two or even three to get my tactics running smoothly.

It's not that the game is too hard its just that SI make no provisions for those who do find it too hard.

It's OK saying well be Chelsea or man City then but football fans love THEIR club. So if you find the game too hard and happen to be a Rochdale fan then the game just isn't going to be enjoyable is it?

It's OK saying well be Chelsea or man City then but football fans love THEIR club. So if you find the game too hard and happen to be a Rochdale fan then the game just isn't going to be enjoyable is it?

As I said earlier, I don't even think you can say "manage Chelsea" with 09, I find top flight as difficult as lower league. The ability to sign world class players means nothing if you struggle with the tactics.

I must say I voted the game is about right but that's because I actually enjoy the challenge the game creates. On 08 I found that with one tactic I could win pretty much everything once I got the squad together with blackburn. This time around I may have won the league, Carling cup and FA cup with man utd but I didn't win anything in the second season. This makes me want to carry on with the career just to win the title again.

My thoughts exactly. It's hard, but that's why it's so good. Challenging things are fun. I hate most games these days, as they're so dumbed down and easy that there's no sense of achievement when you finish them.

My thoughts exactly. It's hard, but that's why it's so good. Challenging things are fun. I hate most games these days, as they're so dumbed down and easy that there's no sense of achievement when you finish them.

That depends on how you play them though. A lot of people found 08 easy, I found it quite challenging because I gave myself a set of rules to play by.

I voted Yes, mainly because tactics and training are so hard to get right( for me).

I know there are a ton of help articles on line, but i just dont have the time/or even want to dig through that.

I just wanna play the game, so trial and error for me mostly error...

With this said i dont want it to be too simplified either, i dont know a hard balancing act i suppose.

I still love the game , its the ONLY game i play.

But sometimes it feels more like work than fun.

Archived