Has the dust settled?

After the madness of the weekend rush to authenticate, the forums seem quieter now about DRM issues. Have most people now sorted it, or is it coz it's Monday?

I myself had a nightmare, but it is all over now, and the game is excellent. I wonder if SI will be forgiven for FM10?

A note was issued on Thursday night advising the Mac version of the patch would be delayed until Friday. On Friday, we were informed that it would be delayed until Monday. No sign of the patch as yet and no further news on ETA. So a little frustrating at the moment.

What i cant understand is why there could be so many differences with the spec of PC it will run on, sound cards, graphics cards, having to update ur computer with Microsoft files before playing. We all know that its a massive game and you need a decent comp to run it, but surely this could have been ironed out before hand or at least recommended on the forums the updates we had to download before buying the game?

Imagine the guys with no internet on the comp they play it on. Still A LOT of people with problems, i have to say after having played FM and CM before since the 90's this has made me think seriously about buying it again.

Have you installed and authenticated ok?

Mac users don't need to authenticate. Its only pc users that this has been inflicted on although I believe it will happen for mac uses as well at some point in the future.

It seems like it is the 3D engine which has cranked up the minimum specs. I don't even use it, so makes no difference to me, but it is definitley affecting peoples computers.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the 3D and to the DRM for the next incarnation

It seems like it is the 3D engine which has cranked up the minimum specs. I don't even use it, so makes no difference to me, but it is definitley affecting peoples computers.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the 3D and to the DRM for the next incarnation

I think the 3D match engine should have been an optional install, much in the same way as Kits, Logos and Facepacks where in previous versions (FM05 & 06 iirc?).

Well fingers crossed that the forums will be about features of the game now and not about the install. It was mental on Friday night.

Yeah, I hope so too. I was watching the forums on Friday from 9am and it was slowly going ballistic!

I must admit though, I was going ballistic too (not on the forums though).

• SI Staff
After the madness of the weekend rush to authenticate, the forums seem quieter now about DRM issues. Have most people now sorted it, or is it coz it's Monday?

Yes, the vast majority has been sorted, and was on Friday evening. A full statement is forthcoming on what actually happened, which doesn't make up for it, but an explanation is needed.

There are well over a hundred thousand people happily playing the game.

...lots of dust still floating around for us Mac users.

A couple more issues were found on the Mac patch this morning, which are being discussed and looked into, then it'll go into QA. We have not forgotten about the Mac users, and are doing our best to get the issues sorted.

What i cant understand is why there could be so many differences with the spec of PC it will run on, sound cards, graphics cards, having to update ur computer with Microsoft files before playing. We all know that its a massive game and you need a decent comp to run it, but surely this could have been ironed out before hand or at least recommended on the forums the updates we had to download before buying the game?

Many of us at SI have spent most of the weekend helping people get the game up and running on well below minimum specification PC's, with success on around 90% of them so far, and a couple of very old graphics cards to try and find on ebay to work out how to get it up and running on those.

It is mainly graphics cards that have issues, because they all have such varied specifications and features.

I've been trying to think of a decent analogy, and have failed, so a bad one will have to do instead. If you have a bit of steak, and cook it in a frying pan or a grill, it will work. If you try and cook said same bit of steak in a toaster, it won't. What we're trying to do is work out how to make those toasters have enough cooking power to cook the bit of steak.

As for whether it could have been sorted before hand, not in all cases, but certainly in some. We will be looking at the way we do compatability testing next year for sure, and vastly expanding the amount of cards we test on. We actually started this process after the demo came out, and have been scouring second hand shops and ebay for older graphics cards, and think we might have got the final two that we need today, and are now awaiting delivery of said machines to see how we can get those up and running.

Basically, we misjudged what the minimum spec of the game should be, and misjudged what kind of computers and graphics cards our users had. One of the positives of the authentication system that we have used this year is that we will have this info moving forward, so will be much better informed in the future.

Yes, the vast majority has been sorted, and was on Friday evening. A full statement is forthcoming on what actually happened, which doesn't make up for it, but an explanation is needed.

A couple more issues were found on the Mac patch this morning, which are being discussed and looked into, then it'll go into QA. We have not forgotten about the Mac users, and are doing our best to get the issues sorted.

Many of us at SI have spent most of the weekend helping people get the game up and running on well below minimum specification PC's, with success on around 90% of them so far, and a couple of very old graphics cards to try and find on ebay to work out how to get it up and running on those.

It is mainly graphics cards that have issues, because they all have such varied specifications and features.

I've been trying to think of a decent analogy, and have failed, so a bad one will have to do instead. If you have a bit of steak, and cook it in a frying pan or a grill, it will work. If you try and cook said same bit of steak in a toaster, it won't. What we're trying to do is work out how to make those toasters have enough cooking power to cook the bit of steak.

As for whether it could have been sorted before hand, not in all cases, but certainly in some. We will be looking at the way we do compatability testing next year for sure, and vastly expanding the amount of cards we test on. We actually started this process after the demo came out, and have been scouring second hand shops and ebay for older graphics cards, and think we might have got the final two that we need today, and are now awaiting delivery of said machines to see how we can get those up and running.

Basically, we misjudged what the minimum spec of the game should be, and misjudged what kind of computers and graphics cards our users had. One of the positives of the authentication system that we have used this year is that we will have this info moving forward, so will be much better informed in the future.

Hi Miles,

Great to see that there is a sense of responsiblity from SI, but also great to see how hard you have worked to resolve the issues. I personally don't have a problem with DRM per se, it is just that the systems didn't work very well, and the phone system effectively excluded people without the internet from playing the game.

Having said that, the game is excellent, and I am sure that over time, this will lead to the best incarnation of the franchise so far

What a horrifying analogy Miles. :p

I would say rather, you're trying to modify the steak to make it fit and cook in the toaster.

I'm happily running it on Windows (I authenticated early AM on friday) but still haven't managed to get past Activation on wine (though I have faith in the Linux community to get it sorted so I can run FM on my travels).

Have to say, kudos for the game, seems so far to be the best FM yet.

Errr, activation on wine? What is that? sounds interesting.....

Wine is an implementation of the Windows system files for use on Linux and other Unix-based operating systems. FM06, 07 and 08 all ran very smoothely, but for some reason the activation screen now on Linux is showing a badly formatted window asking people to enter their serial numbers.

I heard some people have got it running with a crack under Wine, but I'm not willing to mess around with those because they usually have dodgy effects on the game and it's against the ToS.

I do worry that this will drive my fellow Linux users to piracy, however, since the game seems to run better for the pirates than for those of us who have paid for it.

Wine is an implementation of the Windows system files for use on Linux and other Unix-based operating systems. FM06, 07 and 08 all ran very smoothely, but for some reason the activation screen now on Linux is showing a badly formatted window asking people to enter their serial numbers.

I heard some people have got it running with a crack under Wine, but I'm not willing to mess around with those because they usually have dodgy effects on the game and it's against the ToS.

I do worry that this will drive my fellow Linux users to piracy, however, since the game seems to run better for the pirates than for those of us who have paid for it.

I think that is the saddest thing about the whole debacle, the fact that the legal users were blocked from playing, but the pirates managed to crack it and play. don't know the answer, and putting security onto the game to prevent the muppets from getting it without paying, is fine.........if it doesn't penalise or punish the genuine players.

hellooo.....after reading all the 'shenanigans'/abuses etc in this forum during the weekends-am glad things are 'settling' down-though am sure as mentioned 'many' are still not able to play. there are plenty of blame for SI/Sega/Steam to ponder/share from this-but i must say it was commendable for the SI team to make themselves available throughout the time and assist in resolving the issues.

i guess up to now am one of the 'lucky ones' - able to install and play the game without too much hassle.i downloaded mine through steam....for the first time-

but thanks to all the complaints and the subsequent wrong & right instructions posted on this forum- i was able to avoid for now any major disaster (though it did take me 2- 3 hours + one or two restart of the PC to have finally play the game)

but for FM10, i think its fair to say all of us expect a much better 'process' - legit buyers shouldn't be punished for this 'war against piracy'.

as for the gaming experience- FM 09 is top notch-no two ways about it.....

Until you want to run the game in holiday mode, etc, etc, and so on.

ORIGINAL POST FROM postal postie

Re: Has the dust settled?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has any one managed to authenticate via telephone? i tried and after entering the 3rd 16digit line for the 5th time and it said everytime that my key code wasn't correct.

i lugged my desktop to my dads to do it by internet but i would like to know for future needs if the telephone activation is fine.

Hi mate, I know this sounds stupid but what no did you call? And how do you input a 16digit number when the code is 25 digits?? And do you do like a txt message, I.E (T = 8 digit), A = 1 digit on your phone??

I wish mine would work!! :-(

ORIGINAL POST FROM postal postie

Re: Has the dust settled?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has any one managed to authenticate via telephone? i tried and after entering the 3rd 16digit line for the 5th time and it said everytime that my key code wasn't correct.

i lugged my desktop to my dads to do it by internet but i would like to know for future needs if the telephone activation is fine.

Hi mate, I know this sounds stupid but what no did you call? And how do you input a 16digit number when the code is 25 digits?? And do you do like a txt message, I.E (T = 8 digit), A = 1 digit on your phone??

I wish mine would work!! :-(

i called the london number. can't remember what it was now.

and the way it works is that you put your key code number into the boxes when you start FM (code is on the back of your manual) for the first time and then it gives you the first 16 digit code.

you ring the phone number and type the 16 digit code in to your phone, they will then give you a response code to enter. when you enter that response code ANOTHER 16 digit code appears. type that into your phone and a 2ND reponse code will be given to you to enter.

presumably you had to do this about 5 times (1 time for each group of characters from your key code) but i only got to the 3rd before it told me it wasn't a correct key code

Do try the entering the key code from the manual in capital letters thing

Oh my god, how thick was I being?? The sogtanchor activation wasn't comg up though, that was the problem!! And thing I I can't access he internet on my laptop where FM09 will be played, I'm on my PC at home??

I have just tried it twice. 1st time, my activation code wasn't correct, after I got to point 3, then 2nd time their servers are busy as again I got to the 3rd point??!??? What's all that about!!

I may scream soon!!

SHIRLEY what you actually want is a piece of steak that works in a toaster :confused:

re: minimum spec graphics, isn't it standard practice to find out the earliest version of directx required for the game to perform properly, and bundle that on the disc so that people don't have to go searching for an update themselves?

I only recieved my game today from thehut.com despite pre-ordering it 2 months ago. But anyway, I installed it and authencated it perfectly and very quickly. No problem at all and now I am happily playing :D.

Well done SI :thup:.

The people who cannot run the game because of poor pc's should be thankful really, there were a lot of issues with ancient machines floating about, most of which if you wet near with a newish game would probaly blow up. The authentication thing looked pretty bad, the ammount of people who couldn't get going, but I haven't had chance to buy the game yet, payday 26th. I haven't even played the demo yet. At least it looks like the pirates haven't got a look in yet, the only thing i've heard of is the demo crack to allow you to play on past a certain date, but tese will probaly really unstable.

And there is alot that are still not able to play the game. certifacates, codes i've tried everything but so far to no avail. if anyone could help me personally it would be much appreciated as most ppl on here seem to have got theirs sorted.

My email is wb_true_romance@hotmail.com

Any help at all would be much appreciated Miles

i called the london number. can't remember what it was now.

and the way it works is that you put your key code number into the boxes when you start FM (code is on the back of your manual) for the first time and then it gives you the first 16 digit code.

you ring the phone number and type the 16 digit code in to your phone, they will then give you a response code to enter. when you enter that response code ANOTHER 16 digit code appears. type that into your phone and a 2ND reponse code will be given to you to enter.

presumably you had to do this about 5 times (1 time for each group of characters from your key code) but i only got to the 3rd before it told me it wasn't a correct key code

my girlfriend has text me to say my game has arrived today but i'm a bit worried about activating as i have no internet....fingers crossed the phone activation goes smoothly..!!!

And there is alot that are still not able to play the game. certifacates, codes i've tried everything but so far to no avail. if anyone could help me personally it would be much appreciated as most ppl on here seem to have got theirs sorted.

My email is wb_true_romance@hotmail.com

Any help at all would be much appreciated Miles

Customer services will definitely help you - drop them a mail.

http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK

Archived