Noob to the game and football

Hello!

I am trying to get into the sport. I'm an American so I don't know the football systems too well over seas. I am also trying to get into this game. It's REALLY deep which I love, but I suck. Was wondering is there ANYWAY to have a hands off approach when managing a team? I am interested in taking a teams from lower leagues to the top leagues, but that is extremely hard for me. If there is not a way to be hands off (I.e., having to do tatics) what is the best route for me? I also like to scout youth players and see them achieve greatness, bringing them up.

I just want to sign players and just let my assistant coach do the tactics.

Anyway...what's the best route for me? Lol

Please help me enjoy this game!

Thank you

• Administrators

You can set your assistant to take over a number of tasks you're not interesting in doing, but you would need to create a basic layout of tactic (i.e 4-4-2/4-5-1 etc). Just look at your best players and try to find a rough system where you can get most of them on the pitch at the same time whilst retaining a nice balance between attack and defence.

You could also try Football Manager Touch which is a game mode within full FM which is less harsh on changing tactics and you can 'instant result' allowing you to get on with transfers and building up players for the future. Good luck!

Welcome :).

You could also try downloading a ready made tactic from the Tactics Sharing forum http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/215-Tactics-Sharing-Centre-(Upload-Download).

Obviously there's no guarantee of success, but if you start by looking at the more popular ones with well laid out opening posts and an active discussion it'll at least give you a decent starting point.

check out some threads on lower league management. there are a host of free quality freebies to scout ad snap up, as well as quality loans.

standard tactics can definitely suffice in the small leagues. but practise tweaking during matches eg, changes in mentality, tempo, directness.

Lower league management is probably the hardest way to start, but you can make it easier for yourself by playing FM Touch. Its a version of the game thats pretty much made to make things easier. Tactically you still need to set up a system and I would just recommend making one tactic like the 442 and using as many support duties as possible. Just make sure these are for DL/DR, ML/MR. Have one central midfield role on attack- just ask him to be the playmaker and tell the other central midfielder to be on defend duty. Upfront just set one centre forward on attack duty and choose a player to play off him like a Deep Lying forward on support. Once done, leave the rest to your assistant manager. Its a basic tactic thats pretty solid. You can then focus on stuff like squad management and training. If you want more information you can head down to the tactics forum. Alternatively you can watch my youtube channel where I cover stuff like this and I play the game with minimal changes. I only watch matches on key highlights and enjoy them

These are very solid suggestions and people you really should listen to!

Just want to add that as said above, lower league management can be a rough start, but so can also a top team as the expectations can be very high!

My recommendation is to start in the middle of this.. A sort of middle to low team in one of the major leagues and learn from there. Here you'll meet teams much better than you and try to adjust, but also lesser teams that you have a chance to steamroll.. With this you usually get a grip on the tactics page pretty fast and understand the different tweaks..

Also when starting with such a team expectations will be reasonable and your budget will be enough! Not the richest but you will still have the enjoyment of scouting and finding the real gems!

Good luck!

You could think of yourself as the immortal Director of Football. Pick your favourite lower league team and choose the best assistant manager that you can find, because in this scenario he is the manager, not you.

I would recommend playing Football Manager Touch for this. Then allow your assistant to do everything you do not want to do. Use the instant result button for matches. Spend your time searching for players and taking care of the contracts if that's all you are interested in at the moment. The seasons will fly by and you can see how your acquisitions work out.

If you do get sacked simply retire that version of yourself and add a new manager who takes over at the club, you are the immortal Director of Football.

I've played a couple of games like that and they are quite entertaining for a while, eventually you'll learn enough that you'll want to try the full version of FM. Heaven help you then, before you know it seasons will crawl by because you've loaded up all the teams in all the leagues and will only play watch matches on full highlights so you can tinker with every aspect of your tactics.

Hi, I suggest you to read this thread made by one of the moderators in this forum.

Back to Basics - A Complete Club Strategy

The informations provided in that thread is suitable for either people who are new or already play this game for so many years in my opinion. And also, try to read the sticky threads in the Tactics, Training & Strategies too. I learn a lot from the sticky threads. This game is much more enjoyable if you are able to create your own tactics and bring your youth players to become one of the greats.

For the football systems, if you want to learn about it, you could look at the Rules section for each competition. I hope this post could be useful to you.

Welcome to the game: I was once, not long ago, an American with virtually no knowledge of soccer, er football, aside from a long-held fascination with the "indoor game". Bought a used copy of FM'09 on a whim, spent a couple years banging my head against a monitor, and then had a breakthrough with Llanelli in the Welsh system. Got hooked, each year's a gradual learning process.

Take advantage of FM Touch - just set your tactic at 4-4-2, let the assistant pick the squad for you. Watch a game or two, if the assistant recommends a tactic change, let him. Sub off a player if he gets injured or fitness drops to around 65%. Read everything recommended. Go into Tactics and ask questions. Go into GC and ask questions. Accept that you will not be Mourinho (and I know I probably misspelled his name) any time soon. Don't get frustrated, pretend you're really a new coach just starting out. Don't take over at Man City. Remember, this is a game, you're supposed to have fun. (Avoid the rage quit, make sure you have a spare mouse to replace the one you will throw.)

I highly recommend for you to use the "reatin possession" button, this is the first. You will experience huge difference with this alone. Unfortunately the game not well balanced at default settings and members on this forum unable to give any help. They just say "you are amateur", "your tactics bad" etc. Retain possession button is what you need.

I highly recommend for you to use the "reatin possession" button, this is the first. You will experience huge difference with this alone. Unfortunately the game not well balanced at default settings and members on this forum unable to give any help. They just say "you are amateur", "your tactics bad" etc. Retain possession button is what you need.

indeed! that and spitting twice over your left shoulder - that is your win button. people above sent some good links, start there and try to make your own tactic instead of downloaded would be my advice.

The best tactic to have is a defensive one just sit back let the AI hammer away then about 80th minute bring on a player who as never scored before switch to attack the player will score a goal with his first kick then go back to defensive mode resultb1-0 to you repeat for next game then the next game if you have more then 1 shot without scoring you will lose the game sorry was talking about the AI mode for you to win you need 100 shots to score and 5 goalkeepers

The best tactic to have is a defensive one just sit back let the AI hammer away then about 80th minute bring on a player who as never scored before switch to attack the player will score a goal with his first kick then go back to defensive mode resultb1-0 to you repeat for next game then the next game if you have more then 1 shot without scoring you will lose the game sorry was talking about the AI mode for you to win you need 100 shots to score and 5 goalkeepers

I see you're new, and welcome, but don't post crap like this, please. It's horribly wrong and doesn't help the OP.

That was a load of nonsense there is no such thing as a magical "W" button in the game. And that shout is more a defensive than an offensive shout

Username indicates this account was created for this comment only...

This works for me, but it falls apart at the end of the season, because obviously I don't have any players left in my squad who have never scored before. All games end in 0-0 now and the season just peters out.

If your unsure and don't have a preference for style sometimes it can be mentally draining because you're always doubting yourself.

One of the best things you can do, and you say you're American, find and look at your nations football curriculum on the internet.

They have done the work for you and given you an instruction manual based on experience.

Also, find and look at a local club's curriculum.

You still may be at odds with the philosophy but perhaps there's something that gels.

Getting the job done may mean needing the... agility of a cat, sway of a monkey, grace of a bird.

Also watch as much football on tv as you can and get a feel for the game and how different teams play, listening to the half time discussions helps to you will gradually pick things up.

Archived