players constantly shooting from byline

I've mentioned this before but just wondering how to go about giving info on this. I'm talking about the tons of times a player will get to the byline (inside the penalty area) and shoot from absurd angles. My fullbacks and wide players constantly do this. I feel that IRL 90% of the time those players will cut it back for a teammate.

Should I simply upload a save? Post screenshots of every time I notice it?

Of course it is hard to tell without seeing roles and instructions you assigned to players. They may have low teamwork ratings. Shoot on sight or very quick tempo and direct play with "be more expressive" may cause this. Working the ball into box may also help you with this. Just some ideas.

you just have to deal with it unfortunately. Even if you select "shoot less", "work the ball into the box" most player will still elect to go for the shot from tight angles. Makes it all the more beautiful when they finally cut it back across!

I think its best to ignore what you see on the ME. Its just a graphical representation to try to show you that youre doing something wrong. Its trying to play out the stats. It might look absurd but theres a hidden message in there somewhere.

OP, post info about your tactical setup and who is making those shots. It'll even help to show the phase of play where this happens. Screenshots are okay, but a video or PKM would be brilliant.

I see this on occasion, but now have a top team with a gelled squad and players with very good vision. I'm seeing beautiful cut backs etc

I have a feeling that because some of these are counted as CCCs or HCs, there will be some situations you cannot 'fix' yourself, but you can definitely minimise it.

OP, post info about your tactical setup and who is making those shots. It'll even help to show the phase of play where this happens. Screenshots are okay, but a video or PKM would be brilliant.

I see this on occasion, but now have a top team with a gelled squad and players with very good vision. I'm seeing beautiful cut backs etc

I have a feeling that because some of these are counted as CCCs or HCs, there will be some situations you cannot 'fix' yourself, but you can definitely minimise it.

Ok, will try to remember to save PKMs when it happens. It's odd, twice tonight I've seen a player pass in this situation, but for a while it seemed like they'd shoot every time in that spot. That started to make me wonder if it was something buggy/out of balance. Maybe along the lines of the AI thinking it's close to goal so taking the shot regardless of the tight angle. Like what you said too, maybe the AI sees it as a CCC so shoots based on that alone. I'll also try to gauge if it happens less as I improve the squad.

Try and see if it is a certain player. I have one player doing it a lot and he has 15 for decisions, but I play him on the opposite wing (out of position) and so his decision making is affected. I can't see any issues with Teamwork or any other attribute other than me playing him out of position. He's only a Winger/Support as well.

My other players who regularly play there, do this much less.

These happened in consecutive matches and what made it great was that one was from the left (IF/A) and the other, the right (W/S) but these are very good players.

I see this really frequently as well. There were a couple of instances in the league yesterday where both Kane and Ibe shot when they should've passed, so it does happen in real life, but not with anywhere near the frequency that it does in FM. It's too easy to get players into that position and they will almost always take a shot at a really narrow angle instead of squaring it, regardless of their attributes, TIs or role. There's been times when they've made the right choice and played it across the box but nowhere near enough.

The problem is that it's not an easy fix. You get players to make the right decision in that scenario even a third of the time and the amount of goals scored in games would rocket up, so it would need to be balanced elsewhere. Really tricky to get that balance right.

Try and see if it is a certain player. I have one player doing it a lot and he has 15 for decisions, but I play him on the opposite wing (out of position) and so his decision making is affected. I can't see any issues with Teamwork or any other attribute other than me playing him out of position. He's only a Winger/Support as well.

My other players who regularly play there, do this much less.

These happened in consecutive matches and what made it great was that one was from the left (IF/A) and the other, the right (W/S) but these are very good players.

I don't have any actual info yet, surprisingly hasn't happened that I've noticed over the weekend.

I can say though that during my Arsenal save it happened frequently with both Bellerin and Sanchez

Will get some video/PKM's this week

I see this really frequently as well. There were a couple of instances in the league yesterday where both Kane and Ibe shot when they should've passed, so it does happen in real life, but not with anywhere near the frequency that it does in FM. It's too easy to get players into that position and they will almost always take a shot at a really narrow angle instead of squaring it, regardless of their attributes, TIs or role. There's been times when they've made the right choice and played it across the box but nowhere near enough.

The problem is that it's not an easy fix. You get players to make the right decision in that scenario even a third of the time and the amount of goals scored in games would rocket up, so it would need to be balanced elsewhere. Really tricky to get that balance right.

That crossed my mind. It would really add to my goal tally if fixed and I could see where it'd be too many goals. I can understand if it's down to a balance thing.

• 1 month later...

I`m having the same problem. I`m managing Barcelona, surely they are good enough to realise they will never score from the byline -_-

I mean just look at that picture: http://postimg.org/image/b40xzr1ff/

Neymar has the ball, and he could easily pass it to the right where there are 4 of his team mates, Okay I know in this case they are covered pretty well, but in some cases they are wide open and instead of passing, he just shots at the goalkeeper.

It's Neymar, a fairly selfish attacking player a few metres from goal & with no clear pass, I'd be questioning the ME had he not taken a shot.

It's Neymar, a fairly selfish attacking player a few metres from goal & with no clear pass, I'd be questioning the ME had he not taken a shot.

It`s not just Neymar, same thing happened with Messi too! Something is wrong with ME.

Again another forward who if presented with a chance to score will take it unless there is a clear pass that will guarantee a goal or they have been given clear instructions to shoot less often & look to provide chances for others, there's not much that can be said about your specific examples as you've not given any information about your tactical setup or provided an clear evidence of the issue so that needs to be your next step.

The other option is to provide examples directly to SI by posting in the ME section of the bugs forum & uploading copies of the match pkm files.

honestly, IRL Neymar assists A LOT of goals from that position (mostly for Suarez or Messi) and actually has very good Vision and Decisions attributes (the 13 for Teamwork is just decent I guess) to make the 'right' play even in the game. I'd say this would be the trademark Barcelona goal - one two passes to free one of the attackers inside the box and then the killer lateral pass for the easy goal. Personally I find this very hard to do in FM16 because of this tendency of wide attackers (both W or IF) shooting from questionable angles - even with their weak foot in the case of IF (as seen in this Neymar example).

I think this happens because the ME seems to consider this a very dangerous scoring chance, so often I'd see a W/IF shooting from byline and hitting the near post just to see the ME recording a CCC. I understand that this could also (partly) depend on tactics, but I can't help noticing this tendency even with Shoot less often PI, or Look for pass rather than shoot PPM, or teammates ready to receive the pass.

All you see in that example is a still of a player shooting, we have nothing to go on other than that image which shows everyone marked or covered, we don't even know if he shot at the near or far post.

That's not to say there are not issues as that would be a foolish statement but for the most part when people post about this behaviour we need more than a picture, in this scenario they do not paint a thousands words.

All you see in that example is a still of a player shooting, we have nothing to go on other than that image which shows everyone marked or covered, we don't even know if he shot at the near or far post.

That's not to say there are not issues as that would be a foolish statement but for the most part when people post about this behaviour we need more than a picture, in this scenario they do not paint a thousands words.

yes it's hard to tell that much from a single picture, I was speaking more from my personal experience with this year game and it's definitely an issue I have encountered - or felt I've encountered - quite consistently.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like you're not seeing things from Neymar's perspective. He's got an unobstructed shot on goal from a few yards out, he doesn't have time to hold the ball up, and his onrushing teammates are marked. I think most intelligent players would shoot in that situation, especially given that there's an excellent chance putting the ball hard and low across the keeper will result in a rebound that your team will probably score. I do agree in general that there are too many shots from tight angles in general, and I think its clear that this is in part due to the fact that the ME qualifies these as better shots than they are. Many shots taken from essentially the near post are counted as clear cut chances, even if the shooter is right on top of the keeper and the ball is never going to go in. It's also true that there's no "fix" for this in terms of instructions. We can skew the odds a little bit but we can never change the underlying calculation. Since we're talking about Barce players though, I do have one insight I gained as a result of playing a Barce-style 4-3-3 tactic. I had a similar thing happening frequently, and after some frustration, stopped asking myself why my players were doing that, and started asking why they were ending up in that position without any better options so frequently (I will admit sometimes they had clearly better options and were just being difficult, but often only marginally better than the shot). I was playing a F9 up front with two IFs out wide, and had told my team to work the ball in the box. Seems sensible, but looking more closely, I had given my wide players roles that told them to cross less, the a TI (work ball into box) that discouraged them from crossing, and finally played a forward that doesn't often offer a crossing option. So when my IFs did what I wanted them to do, and beat their man off the dribble or from a through ball, they were being told not to cross (twice) and rarely given options to cross to anyway. So they'd just run at goal until they run out of space and then shoot. This works great if we released them through the middle, but if it was into a wider area the angle was always going to be tight.

Point is, my players were playing exactly how I told them to, and my tactical setup was exacerbating what's really a pretty slight imperfection in the match engine. I switched one of them to a winger (he still has cuts inside so he doesn't stay super wide, but he doesn't repeatedly run himself in cul-de-sacs) and gave a CM a more aggressive B2B role, and now I'm seeing fewer of these, and he's encouraged to cross more, and he can pick out the IF at the far post, the F9 in the middle, or the B2B arriving a littler later. Additionally the little bit more width he gives us helps free up more space in the middle for the other forwards, which should help them get through just a little bit cleaner on goal. Not a fix by any means, but an improvement for sure

Could the ppm "look to pass rather to shoot" could help in this situations?

I never try it in my Inside forwards, but always wonder if this could help.

Makes no difference. I had Markovic at Liverpool playing as a winger with that PPM and he still did it time after time. It's just down to the tactic you and your opponent employ, I think. Some people will see it lots, others not so much, but if you have a tactic that puts any player in that situation, they're more likely to shoot than they are pass, it's just an annoying quirk of the ME. Almost as annoying as players not knowing that there's a body/several bodies directly between them and the target and just kicking it straight into opposition players.

I think this has been a problem in FM for a while. It's one of those FM issues (the game still has MANY recurring problems that still aren't fixed after all these years) that SI & the mods here will try to tell you is your fault because the player is an IF or is selfish or it's something you are doing wrong somehow in your instructions etc etc. The fact is it happens all the time, regardless of who you play with. They are often shooting from angles that it is basically impossible to score from and often there are numerous open players that they just ignore. It happens way too much and is just silly and unrealistic. You might be able to do some things so reduce the frequency, but it'll keep happening until SI finally change it in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so there is a real proof that there is something wrong with the ME about players shooting from tight angles. In this video, Neymar shots at the goalkeeper instead of passing it to Suarez who is CLEARLY TOTALY OPEN, but nah, he just shots at the goalkeeper.

Video:

Pretty much all my wingers (Pavon, Lincoln, Bolasie, Gray, Mahrez) will dribble around the full back, then dribble the ball ALONG the byline towards goal before shooting into the side netting, or at best, hitting the keeper or the outside of the post with a shot from an impossible angle when they are actually still ON the byline!

No player would shoot from such a ridiculous position in real life, so this shouldn't be happening on FM!

ok, this is starting to turn into a venting thread.

If you check the Bugs forum, you'll see there is a known issue which has already been logged by SI. They'll also happily accept further examples of such behaviour to help them resolve.

Instead of complaining, please use that time to be constructive and raise it, ideally with a pkm, in the Bugs Forum > ME Issues sub-forum http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/505-Match-Engine-Issues

Archived