Just an idea

Hey folks,

First comment on the forum, I've been playing since CM98! One thing that has always bugged me within the game is the jobs process. Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to ever move on to a new job is through physically applying and upsetting your board.

I thought a good addition to the game would be "manager poaching". The chance for another team to agree with your club for you to have talks about a vacancy. In this scenario, you wouldn't upset the board/fans.

For example, you currently manage Brighton and a vacancy is at Newcastle. Newcastle board approach your board and your board allows negotiations to take place. Thus, a reward for your good work at Brighton, board/fans understand your moving on and even the chance to adhere yourself to the board/fans more by turning down the job offer.

Just a thought! Let me know what you guys think :)

Alex.

You've been playing since CM98, and you've never had an approach from another club to be the manager?
IF you only ever manage the biggest club in FM then there is a chance that you'll not recall the last time you had a job offer, mainly because what club poaches a manager from the clubs the stature of Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona et al?

As for the OP I'm always getting approached to attend interviews that I never applied for & before that feature was introduced I had no issue with the number of cold approach job offers I received.

The problem I've had is when approached my current board is always angered at any discussions I have. A scenario should be in place where your board clear discussions and thus aren't angered by you talking about the vacancy.

Discussing and still turning down the job often ends up with your board and fans being angry.

That's a different slant & one that I do agree with. What I'd like to see introduced is clubs making an initial approach to your current board & if a fee is agreed then they offer to open contract negotiations with you. If your current club rejects the approach then you should have the same recourse to moan that you r players do when you turn down an offer for them.

It'll feel more realistic & it might give some FM'ers a little bit of empathy when their star striker throws a hissy fit when they laugh off an offer from a bigger club.

That's a different slant & one that I do agree with. What I'd like to see introduced is clubs making an initial approach to your current board & if a fee is agreed then they offer to open contract negotiations with you. If your current club rejects the approach then you should have the same recourse to moan that you r players do when you turn down an offer for them.

It'll feel more realistic & it might give some FM'ers a little bit of empathy when their star striker throws a hissy fit when they laugh off an offer from a bigger club.

Absolutely. Compensation agreement would make it free reign in a way to discuss and negotiate. Extra browny points if a compensation fee is agreed but you reject the offer stating your love for the club.

What I'd like to see introduced is clubs making an initial approach to your current board & if a fee is agreed then they offer to open contract negotiations with you.

Which is pretty much how it works IRL, so +1 :thup:

I worked my way up to Man Utd, gave them 5 Premier League titles, and ran my contract down to under a year with no offer of a contract extension or interest from any other clubs. Tried to negotiate my contract from $90K to $110K week with a 10% annual raise, the Man U board countered with $95K wk and a 10% raise (and mind you, Brendan Rogers was making $150K/wk at Liverpool at the time), so I resigned, waited for an interesting job to open up, got bored and took the Italy job, and then when Inverness CT fired their coach, I applied for a job that only pays $4K/wk. NOT a good negotiator, but $200K/year is still decent money, I guess.

I don't mean to hijack the subject, but I didn't know the "just an idea" thing was about jobs.

I'm also bothered by that. i'll copy and paste what I posted:

I've been having a problem with FM: moving to a better team.

I've started the game on a middle tiered 2nd division team in Brazil (Bragantino). A team with no history, no big stadium, not from a big city, and without nice facilities.

In the very first season, I managed to win the 2nd division title with this team, which by itself should have been enough for a "respectable positioned" team from 1st division to give me a call. But no, all I got was a new contract proposal from Bragantino.

On the 2nd season, when we were supposed to fight bravely against relegation, I managed to finish the league on 11th. Again, nothing.

On the 3rd season, finished in 7th. And yet again, no offer whatsoever.

That was my last year of contract, and despite around 10 offers for renewal, I tried leaving Bragantino e trying each "good enough" job that was available for around 4 months. All I got was some job interviews from bad teams from Paraguay, Peru and Chile, all of them way worse than the Bragantino that I left.

I decided to load the game back in Bragantino and renew the contract. After applying for a job in Internacional (a better team, but that had been playing below expectations), they were surprised (!) that I wanted to manage them, interviewed me and eventually hired another guy, which got fired 4 months later.

On my 4th season, I was leading the league for almost 10 rounds when the World Cup break came. Brazil was pitiful and the manager got sacked. I applied for the job and got laughed at. Also, I got an ultimatum by the Bragantino board for applying for other jobs.

Here's the problem: a "nobody" wins the second division, puts a team in a very good position during 3 or 4 years, brings money to the club, do not overspend, and no big team wants this guy?

I can say, for sure, that this is unrealistic for Brazil.

I feel that there are some areas that the whole manager movement piece is really lacking. Especially contract negotiations. I feel if we've been super successful we should be able to get much better wages than we were on before, rather than the same as we were on.

On a different point, one thought I've had regarding moving clubs, would be that we as managers have an "agent".

Now this would not be an agent in the same way that players have agents, so it wouldn't be a person in game, but more like the virtual personal assistant we have in the game at the moment. This would work as just a list of tick boxes that we can set on or off at different points of the game. Then when other jobs are available, or positions are insecure, the club in question would sound out our agent to see whether we would be interested, based on our settings.

Our settings could include things like "only interested in jobs from favoured clubs", "only interested in top division jobs", "only interested in jobs offering big pay rise", "only interested in jobs in x country".

On top of this we could have an option for our agent to actively pursue these roles for us, or at least sound out the club and find out if there's any likelihood in getting an offer, or even an interview.

Finally, I don't get why club roles always require an interview. Did Klopp have to interview for the impending Liverpool role? I doubt it. I would just like, in some cases, for a club to come to me and say, "Look, we think you've done a smashing job where you are, here's what we're willing to offer to come work for us" and then present you with the club philosophies (which you have the option to discuss) and a contract offer.

I feel that there are some areas that the whole manager movement piece is really lacking. Especially contract negotiations. I feel if we've been super successful we should be able to get much better wages than we were on before, rather than the same as we were on.

On a different point, one thought I've had regarding moving clubs, would be that we as managers have an "agent".

Now this would not be an agent in the same way that players have agents, so it wouldn't be a person in game, but more like the virtual personal assistant we have in the game at the moment. This would work as just a list of tick boxes that we can set on or off at different points of the game. Then when other jobs are available, or positions are insecure, the club in question would sound out our agent to see whether we would be interested, based on our settings.

Our settings could include things like "only interested in jobs from favoured clubs", "only interested in top division jobs", "only interested in jobs offering big pay rise", "only interested in jobs in x country".

On top of this we could have an option for our agent to actively pursue these roles for us, or at least sound out the club and find out if there's any likelihood in getting an offer, or even an interview.

Finally, I don't get why club roles always require an interview. Did Klopp have to interview for the impending Liverpool role? I doubt it. I would just like, in some cases, for a club to come to me and say, "Look, we think you've done a smashing job where you are, here's what we're willing to offer to come work for us" and then present you with the club philosophies (which you have the option to discuss) and a contract offer.

That's very well put! I think it would be much better.

What I don't necessarily agree is the "agent" thing. See, the manager of a 2nd division team in Brazil does not have an agent. What he does have, though, is a cell phone. And it would be really nice if you got something in your inbox questioning your interest in a vacant role. This can be "personnal", not via press.

It could even happen BEFORE firing the present manager. It's a nice and realistic mechanic that would work better than the "apply and get ultimatum" thing.

This is a solid idea, methinks, especially since, if I was recently fired, the current system doesn't allow me to figure out what division I would have to go to in order to have a realistic chance of being hired. As thizaum pointed out, I don't know that all managers have agents, but it would be good to have the option if you're willing to ship some of your wages to your agent, of course.

the current system doesn't allow me to figure out what division I would have to go to in order to have a realistic chance of being hired.

Well, you are allowed to let your manager persona think for himself. A league around the same level of reputation as your last job or a bit lower would be good bet... ;)

Doesn't necessarily need to be an agent per say, could just be an extension of the current personal assistant that the game has already.

To be fair, this was just something that came to me and would probably need a bit more fleshing out before it would be workable.

I agree with this, it sounds like a great idea.

I managed Lyon in France for 4 season taking them from 3rd in my 1st season to 3 championships and a Champions League win. My profile is an English manager in my 30's who's won titles in france and the CL...surely the big clubs in England will be sniffing around??? no, nothing - in my 5th season City, Utd, and Newcastle all fired their managers but showed no interest in me.

Thats not realistic at all

Here's another idea, which could ALSO be implemented.

How about the game give you the option to "take control" of the manager himself? You could create the unknown John Smith to manage Bayern or a regional team from 4th division and start a rep from scratch OR you could take control of Guardiola, starting the game on Bayern, with all his rep, history with Barcelona, etc.

They could even allow you to take control of an aging player that might become a manager, like Pirlo, for example.

• Administrators
I agree with this, it sounds like a great idea.

I managed Lyon in France for 4 season taking them from 3rd in my 1st season to 3 championships and a Champions League win. My profile is an English manager in my 30's who's won titles in france and the CL...surely the big clubs in England will be sniffing around??? no, nothing - in my 5th season City, Utd, and Newcastle all fired their managers but showed no interest in me.

Thats not realistic at all

Some of it is dependent on your starting reputation. If you start on a very low rep, even wildly overachieving won't give you a huge boost, therefore you won't appear on their shortlist of replacements. Likewise if you start with a very high rep they may think you're too good for them and won't approach.

Some of it is dependent on your starting reputation. If you start on a very low rep, even wildly overachieving won't give you a huge boost, therefore you won't appear on their shortlist of replacements. Likewise if you start with a very high rep they may think you're too good for them and won't approach.

This is the part of the point I make though. In these circumstances, you could have your agent/rep/pa/whoever approach the club on your behalf to sound them out or let them know you'd be interested without your current club getting in a strop with you.

This is the part of the point I make though. In these circumstances, you could have your agent/rep/pa/whoever approach the club on your behalf to sound them out or let them know you'd be interested without your current club getting in a strop with you.

I agree completely.

I love this game and don't mind the thousands of hours that I've spent ever since the 90s playing this, but the "manager switching jobs" thing has always been a weak point.

Well, you are allowed to let your manager persona think for himself. A league around the same level of reputation as your last job or a bit lower would be good bet... ;)

Your "good bet" has failed me many times. You should read my comment carefully before you suggest anymore great ideas.

Your "good bet" has failed me many times. You should read my comment carefully before you suggest anymore great ideas.

Not really. You're asking for the game to do something for you that you really should be able to figure out for yourself very easily.

Archived