Do players grow in height?

If I remember rightly, height is now used as part of the calculation to decide whether or not a player needs to jump for the ball - if he stays on the ground his height is used, if he has to jump then his effective height (jumping reach) is used in the calculation.

If I remember rightly, height is now used as part of the calculation to decide whether or not a player needs to jump for the ball - if he stays on the ground his height is used, if he has to jump then his effective height (jumping reach) is used in the calculation.

Stoke City researcher, how heading works, seems a solid source to me.

I do recall them mentioning something about height a few versions back, but I was under the impression that for jumping, it was the jumping stat alone that decided (with taller players having a better "jumping reach"), but the part about being on the ground makes sense. Are you a researcher for the database? Do they give out any primers that specify about the attributes affects in game?

This, it was changed about three years/versions ago.

Hi guys, Ive searched for this and got a lot of contrasting information but my question i, do young players grow in the game?

I have a 15 year old regen centre back who is 5'10 but has good stats - is he likely to grow a couple of inches by the time he gets to 20/21?

you do know height doesn't matter at all, right?

This, it was changed about three years/versions ago.

wait, what?

is this confirmed, or just a myth?

because if it's true, it's incredibly stupid.

we have multiple abilities to take into consideration at any game situation, did anyone really need another one?

so now after browsing through dozens of stats, I have to glance over to the player's height, too?

wait, what?

is this confirmed, or just a myth?

because if it's true, it's incredibly stupid.

we have multiple abilities to take into consideration at any game situation, did anyone really need another one?

so now after browsing through dozens of stats, I have to glance over to the player's height, too?

Yeah.. I mean GEEZ guys.. it's not like it's meant to be an accurate simulation or that height really matters in sport right? pfftt

Stoke City researcher, how heading works, seems a solid source to me.

I do recall them mentioning something about height a few versions back, but I was under the impression that for jumping, it was the jumping stat alone that decided (with taller players having a better "jumping reach"), but the part about being on the ground makes sense. Are you a researcher for the database? Do they give out any primers that specify about the attributes affects in game?

Indeed I do the research for Stoke on the game, and we do get given guidelines (hundreds of pages worth of information) that helps assist us in performing the task, but runciter why would it be stupid for a players height to be used? The game has to determine whether or not a player can control a ball with or without jumping. The two attributes are linked in how they work anyway, as height is a guide for what the jumping reach stat can be.

Yeah.. I mean GEEZ guys.. it's not like it's meant to be an accurate simulation or that height really matters in sport right? pfftt

Don't be condescending when you are wrong.

For years, height did not matter, and I don't think anyone was really bothered by that.

Now tell me two things:

1. Did we need another attribute when FM probably has a bit too convuloted attribute system already, to the point when some inner workings of the match engine are constantly shrouded in mystery, and we can only base our knowledge on guides that were based on other guides that were based on the message board trying to make sense of the system and just hoping that common sense DOES apply to the match engine?

2. Does the game make it clear that now height matters too?

Try and argue my points, if you cana manage to do that, then you can be condescending.

height is a guide for what the jumping reach stat can be.

the "jumping reach" attribute should be what the "jumping reach" attribute can be.

on it's own.

I wouldn't have any problem with the interconnectedness of the attributes if there were a DEFINITE in-game guide, but we have to go with our gut feelings, mostly.

If I recall, young players can grow an inch or two, but ultimately it doesn't actually matter. Height doesn't affect anything in the match engine.

Not directly in the ME. But it I'm pretty sure it does affect attribute development. So its easier to train up jumping reach on a tall player

1. Did we need another attribute when FM probably has a bit too convuloted attribute system already, to the point when some inner workings of the match engine are constantly shrouded in mystery, and we can only base our knowledge on guides that were based on other guides that were based on the message board trying to make sense of the system and just hoping that common sense DOES apply to the match engine?

We didn't get another attribute though.

The attribute that for years did nothing was changed in the ME so that it had an effect which is what many believed for years anyway.

2. Does the game make it clear that now height matters too?

Yes its on the profile therefore it matters.

and TBF SI made it clear at the time when the change was made and yet three/four years later there seems to be people who don't take new information on board.

Not directly in the ME. But it I'm pretty sure it does affect attribute development. So its easier to train up jumping reach on a tall player

Here is another example, years after it was changed but a user is still posting out of date knowledge.

We didn't get another attribute though.

The attribute that for years did nothing was changed in the ME so that it had an effect which is what many believed for years anyway.

Yes its on the profile therefore it matters.

and TBF SI made it clear at the time when the change was made and yet three/four years later there seems to be people who don't take new information on board.

Its on the profile therefore it matters? It was on the profile for years without mattering. The first year it was added it did absolutely nothing, but was added for future use.

Its on the profile therefore it matters? It was on the profile for years without mattering. The first year it was added it did absolutely nothing, but was added for future use.

Yes and several PPMs did nothing for years but that got changed and as far as I'm aware all attributes/PPMs do something now and have done for the last few years.

It does state in the manual that height and jumping reach are linked, they aren't dependent upon one another but are linked in that a tall player is more likely to have a higher jumping reach. But the original question has been answered, younger players can still grow a couple of inches and I think the games absolute height is about 6'10". If people feel perhaps some of these things aren't clear enough then leaving feedback in the thread would help.

It does state in the manual that height and jumping reach are linked, they aren't dependent upon one another but are linked in that a tall player is more likely to have a higher jumping reach. But the original question has been answered, younger players can still grow a couple of inches and I think the games absolute height is about 6'10". If people feel perhaps some of these things aren't clear enough then leaving feedback in the thread would help.

This is why the Big Show never got picked up by Real Madrid.

Archived