Are you Wenger or Mourinho

The reason I ask this question is because they both approach games in very different ways and I'd like to know who's approach you take more when playing football manager.

Arsene Wenger - Makes tactical tweaks every now and again but he's very strong on his philosophy believes if his team plays well then they should win, doesn't really do much work on the other team

Jose Mourinho - As we saw with his record against the big clubs since his return there is a lot of tactical work he does before games focuses on nullifying the other teams strengths

So who would you say your management styles like or is it a mixture of both

I originally thought the question was about transfer policy - grow-your-own-men Wenger (pre-2013) or buy-when-you-need Mourinho :)

Tactically I'm more of a Mourinho. Have different setup in store and always study the pre-match reports.

Tactically Mourinho, transfer policy Wenger. Routinely get asked the "why aren't you spending the huge piles of money you have" question.

Regarding tactics I wouldn't say I'm entirely reactive, though I can be. Often it's more "which of my tactics present the biggest problems for this particular team" than "which of my tactics neutralize what this team wants to accomplish." But that might be hair-splitting.

Very much a Wenger, maybe to a fault where young players are concerned as I occasionally go too far, too fast. I believe the great Brian Clough once said that you should just play to your strengths and let the opposition worry about you rather than the other way around, or something like that. If it works, I stick with it, be it tactics or team selection (even if it means not necessarily having my best players on paper or not resting players, which may seem strange but it seems to work just as well as constantly making changes).

Wenger absolutely. I try to get good deals on the transfer market, even when I have cash to burn and best of all is to develop youngsters. I don't change tactics a whole lot, only small tweaks here and there.

Bit of both really.

I tend to stick to my philosophy (direct and pressing) nearly every match. In away games against teams like Chelsea, Man United etc I will go counter attacking and focus on nullifying the opposition. But in finals I will always stick to my philosophy, I really do not know why but I prefer to win a trophy when playing with my preferred style.

So yeah, a mixture of both. Could say the same about the transfermarket too, I love bringing in young players (whether they're mine or another sides) and developing them. But I like to spend money on proven players as well.

I am predominantly Mourinho, both in the tactical sense and transfer policy. Results always come first, style second.

I normally do not promote youngsters to the first team unless they have very high potential and/or are already comparable in standards to my first team players at the point of promotion.

I think the majority of us are Wengers, but the recent editions of FM want us to become Mourinho. :) The best combinations would be: Wenger style+Mou trophy cabinet.

While I do opposition scouting, I focus mainly on my own team, instead of nullifying other team strenghts I try to nullify my team weaknesses. I don't do much media talk, don't care about it.

I guess if you put it like that I'm more Wenger. However, I am pretty willing to mix it up with formations and even style to some extent. But for me if the football isn't attractive and attacking, I'm not enjoying it. Plus, for any big match in the league or cups, I very carefully select the right line-up and apply opposition instructions. I also rarely splurge on the big-name players - almost never sign a player over the age of 23 and even over the age of 21 is a rarity for me. I want youngsters I can mold. Sometimes I fall into the trap of playing my academy players before they are ready too. Sometimes I've got a handful of under-18s in my 1st team rotation and accidentally start against Man United away with Jordan Rossiter (age 21 in my current save) my most experience central midfielder.

EDIT: Rather have my trophy cabinet than either of those blokes though. I've even managed an unbeaten season (2 actually, one in League 1 and one in the Prem with Liverpool).

Archived