Youth Development - The Guide

Youth Development – The Guide

I’ve had a lot of success with developing youths on FM 12 and I’ve posted about a few of them on the forums already in here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/300079-Creating-a-Player and here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM. But I get a lot of PM’s asking for more details into their development. So I thought I would create this thread to highlight the player’s I’ve developed in my Santos save and explore a bit more on the way I’ve shaped the players via training and tutoring.

The Basics

Most of you will already know how training works but for those who don’t are unsure about a few things here are the basics of training.

Training is split into 7 categories and the attributes that fall under each section is as follows;

Strength – Jumping, Natural Fitness, Stamina, Strength and Work Rate

Aerobic – Acceleration, Agility, Balance and Pace

Tactics – Anticipation, Composure, Concentration, Decisions and Team Work

Ball Control – Dribbling, First Touch, Heading, Technique and Flair

Defending – Marking, Tackling and Positioning

Attacking – Crossing, Passing, Creativity and Off the Ball

Shooting – Finishing and Long Shots

Any attribute that isn’t listed like Aggression, Bravery, Determination and Influence cannot be trained. They change via other means like experience, tutoring, as the player gets older, fines and so on.

Goalkeepers only have 6 training categories and they differ to what attributes are trained compared to the above. So here are the keeper ones;

Strength – Jumping, Natural Fitness, Stamina and Strength

Aerobic – Acceleration, Agility, Balance and Pace

Goalkeeper Shot Stopping – One on Ones, Reflexes, Composure, Concentration and Positioning

Goalkeeper Handling – Aerial Ability, Handling, Kicking and Throwing

Tactics – Command of Area, Communication, Rushing Out, Anticipation and Decisions

Ball Control – First Touch

For me understanding this section is vital as it allows you to decide which way you want to shape a player through training. It’s also worth noting that training doesn’t allow CA gain but it rather distributes his CA into the areas you want. For a player to gain CA he does this through match experience.

Individual Focus

This is one training feature I use lots. It’s great for boosting a player in a particular attribute for a certain period of time. Here is a list of the individual focuses you can use (NOTE – Some of this may not appear for you, if that’s the case then you need to upgrade the facilities and more individual focuses will become unlocked) to boost certain attributes;

Corners

Crossing

Dribbling

Finishing

First Touch

Free Kicks

Heading

Long Shots

Long Throws

Marking

Passing

Penalties

Tackling

Technique

Composure

Off the Ball

Positioning

Agility

Balance

Jumping

Quickness

Stamina

Strength

All of the above affect their name sake attribute apart from Quickness which focuses on 2 attributes. Quickness does pace and acceleration.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How To Create Individual Schedules

Before I get into details about the players themselves I should point out that I don’t follow any ‘set rules’ with regards to training. I know a lot of people believe there is some kind of system and create rules based on clicks etc which isn’t true at all. All I do is use logic and focus on the attributes I believe to be needed for the role they play for my club. If I followed some kind of ‘click system’ then this cannot be achieved as you can’t break the rule.

A lot of these youths have come through my own youth system over the course of 10 years. I upgraded both Training and Youth Facilities every season if the board allowed. So now I have state of the art facilities and the best the club can have. This is vital if you want to develop the best players you can.

It’s also worth me pointing out that to get the best development I can, I create individual schedules for every single player at the club. People always think it’s hard and very time consuming to create an individual training schedule for a player. This is simply not true at all. It takes me about 30 seconds to create a schedule. You might find it takes you a bit longer to begin with but the more you do the easier it becomes as you already have an idea of what direction you want to take the player in.

If you’ve never created any individual schedules before then this is the fastest and simplest way of creating them in my opinion.

First you need to go to the training tab (Note – If you want to create a youth schedule for someone who isn’t in the first team or reserves then you need to go to the youth team and then click the training tab).

Creating 1.png

Then click the schedule tab which is highlighted by the yellow mark. Then click the New Schedule tab highlighted by the purple mark.

You then get asked to name the schedule. I normally keep it simple and just name the schedule after the player. But you can call them anything you like.

If you’re at the start of a new game or have a lot of players to create schedules for then I always create them all in one go. Create the actual individual schedules by doing the above and give them all names for every single player you want on them. Try to do this before you alter any sliders or anything you’ll see why shortly.

After all the schedules have been created they should appear in the ‘schedules’ tab.

Once you’ve done that return to the squad overview screen. Then go a player’s profile that you want on an individual schedule and click on his training tab highlighted in the screenshot below;

Creating 2.png

Then once inside the training section of his profile the screen should look something like this;

Creating 3.png

On the left this is where you change the schedule the player is on. So from this screen select the schedule you created earlier and put him on it.

Once that is done you should familiarise yourself with the ‘Training Category’ tab as this tells you which categories teach which attributes. Spend a few minutes here if you need to and have a look at the player to get an idea of what he needs to be trained in.

When you have a general idea of how you want him to be trained then click the Training Level’s’ tab at the top. Then you should be on a screen same as this;

Creating 4.png

Now using this screen you can set up the schedule and set any individual focuses that you wish to use. Don’t be afraid to keep going back to the screen beforehand either to check what categories you need to train.

It may seem a bit daunting and confusing at first doing it this way but over time it’ll become easier and a lot faster.

Marcao's Development

As you can see the player below would make a great targetman but I want to develop him to become more of a DLF who is good all round. I decided to tutor him with someone who had lower determination which I didn't mind as the overrall benefit was worth more than a few determination points imo. Plus hopefully he will only drop a few determination points.

So this is one of the prospects I had at 15 years old and his initial custom schedule;

Marctrai.png

Marcao.png

One year later;

Marcao.png

His determination dropped due to been tutored by someone with a lesser determination. But I still thought he’d benefit more overall from the tutor.

One year later;

Marcao.png

Another year later;

marcao18.png

Another year later;

marcao19.png

As you can see he is developing quite nice. I’ll be changing his schedule when he hits 22 to focus on different areas. I’ll go into details about them once I make those chances in just over a seasons time.

Marcao’s Tutors

Here are the player’s I used for tutoring.

Season one;

Marcaotutor1.png

I thought as Elano is a valuable member of my squad and was one of Marcao’s favoured personnel that he would benefit from his experience. I know that he has low determination but I was confident that I’d be able to change that and get it higher again over time should it actually drop during the tutoring.

The link up lasted the full duration and saw a nice spurt in stats. I was happy with how this turned out even though determination did drop.

For the second season I had him tutored by Ganso;

Marcaotutor2.png

I choose Ganso because he had 16 for determination and was used to stop Marcao’s determination attribute going any lower than 16.

Again this tutoring went well and lasted the full duration and it was clear that with the tutoring it was aiding his career.

I left the tutoring for a season due to injuries to some of my key players and just wanting to see how he would develop with playing games. I was happy with how he was progressing. Then at the start of the season after I had him tutored yet again by Ganso because Ganso had been retrained to a striker now by me. Plus he was delighted with the last link up with him so decided I’d try a second time and see the results. This went as well as the first time.

Handling Marcao’s Development

Due to him only been 15 when he came through my youth ranks it meant he had to spend a full year in the u23’s and u20’s as you have to be 16 years old to play for the first team. So I left him in the u23’s squad so he could stay on a full time training schedule. His attributes he has are excellent especially for his age so I decided that when he could play for the first team he would be a substitute. I thought I’d nurture him and give him match experience. The more he plays then technically the better he should develop.

Loaning him out was never an option for me; he was too good for me to allow him to leave. He could do a decent job for me given the chance I felt. Loaning him out might be an option 3 or 4 years down the line but currently it isn’t.

So the season passed and he was progressing well. He seemed to be tearing up the u23 league and finished top scorer.

The second season was a little bit different as he was actually able to play games now. I still ensured he was available to play for the u23’s though too as he wasn’t going to play that many games for the first team. So it’s important he kept match fit and still had games when he wasn’t used for the first team. He managed to play 14 full starts and 10 as a sub. I wouldn’t have started him the 14 times I don’t think but my hands were forced. I had a lot of players away on international duty for around 3 months during the full season. So I had to use all youths for a lot of games, this is common for anyone playing in the Brazilian leagues. You have lots of players away for large periods of time.

For season 3 it was more or less the same as season 2. Nothing changed in my approach. But you can see from the screenshots that the match experience he is receiving is helping his development and he is becoming a very good young player.

For season 4 I decided that due to how the progression was going the next step would to be increase his game time and make him more than a bit part player. The benefits of his slow nurture in the first 3 seasons put him in a good standing. Look at the screenshots and see how much he developed by the end of the 4th season. He had become a valuable player over the season and was beginning to find the net. The rise in his attributes was also quite significant.

There is no doubt that he’s arrived and is now an established member of the first team. I’ve played another 4 or 5 seasons since and I will be updating his progress now too but that will be a bit later in the post.

Further Marcao Development

This is him at age 20;

Marcao20.png

This was by far his best season up until this point which had been recognised by the Brazilian National side.

This is him at age 21;

Marcao21.png

Another solid season here he had. Not as many goals but he played right wing a lot of games due to injuries.

This is him at age 22;

Marcao22.png

I decided to try and retrain him half way through this season to become an AMR due to me having sold the player who played this position. I’ve got too many good strikers in the youths who need games so I need to start giving them game time. But as I only play a 1 striker formation it’s hard to give them games especially as I have 2 other first team strikers already. So by trying to make him an AMR I can allow someone else to be promoted up from the youth team to aide their development plus I’ll solve the problem of not having a decent AMR.

And this is him at 23 years old;

Marcao23.png

I’ve not actually played past this point yet so this is how he currently looks in my game.

Changing Marcao’s Role

As you progress through a save at times you might find yourself changing the role of a player from what you first though. Marcao is lethal when played as a striker but as my squad is getting stronger and stronger I’m finding I want players to play a new role. This is what currently has happened in my game. I had a regen AMR who I’ve just sold to PSG for decent money due to him using up a foreign player place in the team. I’ve used Marcao as an AMR quite a few times throughout his career already and he’s doing excellent as can be seen in his last screenshot at the age of 23 above. All of those games that are listed on the screen shot are all from the AMR position. He still scores a lot of goals and he is a beast for assists.

Due to this new role I have decided to retrain him to an AMR. But this also means I need to alter his training schedule to suit his new role. Plus I think he is developed well enough now to warrant a change to his schedule due to his attributes rising over the last 8 years and getting to an excellent standard.

This is the new schedule he’s on;

Marcaoschedule.png

I’ve reduced the strength and aerobic training as I am more than happy with these attributes are and I’d rather focus on maintaining the current level rather than trying to make them higher. I’m also pretty sure he’s almost at his full potential which would mean there isn’t much room for development anyway.

I’ve also made the tactics, ball control and attacking categories a lot higher due to the attributes these train. As he will use more attributes by playing out on the right compared to the striker role. He needs to be able to create and score for other players a lot more regular. If he doesn’t have the attribute training on these then they could risk dropping over time.

So the above schedule is what I have initially gone for, if I change anything I’ll be sure to re-post and let you all know.

I’ll also update about Marcao in a few more seasons time to check how he is doing in his new role and position.

Maybe this should be in the "stupid questions" thread, but everywhere I read it says that tutoring mainly influences personality (determination + hidden stats), and so it is only indirectly influencing their CA gain (by for instance making them more professional -> faster CA gain). Here you seem to be saying that it can actually influence their CA gain directly. Is that what you mean, and if so is that confirmed by SI?

Maybe this should be in the "stupid questions" thread, but everywhere I read it says that tutoring mainly influences personality (determination + hidden stats), and so it is only indirectly influencing their CA gain (by for instance making them more professional -> faster CA gain). Here you seem to be saying that it can actually influences their CA gain directly. Is that what you mean, and if so is that confirmed by SI?

You are right in what you've read but with making a player more professional in turn makes it direct, no? as they gain CA faster/ or try harder in training and games etc :)

If you notice the player is determined to begin with but you'll notice he improved the most when playing regular.

You are right in what you've read but with making a player more professional in turn makes it direct, no? as they gain CA faster/ or try harder in training and games etc :)

If you notice the player is determined to begin with but you'll notice he improved the most when playing regular.

Heh, let me rephrase. What I'm getting at, is that if I have a younster with high determination AND professionalism to begin with is it then pointless to have him tutored?

Heh, let me rephrase. What I'm getting at, is that if I have a younster with high determination AND professionalism to begin with is it then pointless to have him tutored?

Depends if you want him to learn any PPM's or anything or what personality the tutor has. You might want someone to change their personality for some reason as it suits your play style more etc. Plus I like to use it for building favoured personnel.

Fantastic looking player! His improvement is excellent as well.

Nurturing my own players is one of the things I enjoy most about my long term saves. I create a player's own schedule but normally slightly (1 or 2 notches) into the heavy workload so long as 1/ They don't complain too much and 2/ They don't frequently get injuries. Do you find a medium workload more beneficial to the players improvement from training than a slightly heavy one?

One other general question - I normally have mixed success with tutoring and I was wondering if you had a general guide on how you picked players to tutor Ie personality matching that kind of thing? In particular I often have trouble if a player has low determination I very rarely get tutoring right so that he inherits a mentors high determination - is that even possible?

Cheers :)

Fantastic looking player! His improvement is excellent as well.

Nurturing my own players is one of the things I enjoy most about my long term saves. I create a player's own schedule but normally slightly (1 or 2 notches) into the heavy workload so long as 1/ They don't complain too much and 2/ They don't frequently get injuries. Do you find a medium workload more beneficial to the players improvement from training than a slightly heavy one?

One other general question - I normally have mixed success with tutoring and I was wondering if you had a general guide on how you picked players to tutor Ie personality matching that kind of thing? In particular I often have trouble if a player has low determination I very rarely get tutoring right so that he inherits a mentors high determination - is that even possible?

Cheers :)

He's even better now, I'll try and get an upto date screenie up at some point :)

How far you set the training workload should be based on personality. The more profressional a player the higher workload he can take without moaning :)

I don't set the workload to heavy if they are to play in the first team as well though or that increases the risk of a bad injury.

I've never put a massive effort into training, always using first team football to improve my talents but I've got schedules set up for each player. Just a question regarding the specific areas. If I have a striker who I want to train up and maximise his attacking attributes, is it a wise move to have him not do any defending training at all? I see a few people do this but will it mean that the players defensive attributes plummet to 1 and mean that he is a complete liability when it comes to defending from the front.

oohhhhh.... a new guide from Cleon...... and I'm still working my way through the SI thread :)

Looks good.... will have a proper read this evening!

Regards

LAM

I've never put a massive effort into training, always using first team football to improve my talents but I've got schedules set up for each player. Just a question regarding the specific areas. If I have a striker who I want to train up and maximise his attacking attributes, is it a wise move to have him not do any defending training at all? I see a few people do this but will it mean that the players defensive attributes plummet to 1 and mean that he is a complete liability when it comes to defending from the front.

I also train my players like that. They'll go down over time but I've never seen my players attributes plummet quite extreme as that though.

A very good read Cleon.

I've started to create my own schedules after reading another thread you contributed too. I have very poor facilities - but the players seem to be responding ok. One thing I am never too sure about though is the level of training for an attribute you're pleased with.

Say for example I had a 17 year old midfielder with pace and acceleration of 13. I think of how I want to play them and the gaps in their other skills and decide that 13 is about right and I'm happy with it. But I know I have to give them some aerobic training as I don't want it to get worse. Then I get confused - where should I aim it? At present I aim for the first click of medium. What would you do? Oh for a simple (and unrealistic!) 'maintain attribute' button!!

Similar issue about using focus. Say I have a central defender with weak passing. I might not want to boost their attacking schedule as points will go to other areas I'm not bothered about - so I train passing as a focus. All good so far - but when I've finished and want to give them a new focus, what then? If I have no training in 'attacking' - then surely the passing will fall again? Would I then give it a small boost to keep things as they are?

Sorry if the questions are dumb ones, but the training topic intrigues me and I don't want to kill off my small number of good youngsters!

Thats good. Thanks for the reply :)

No worries.

Say for example I had a 17 year old midfielder with pace and acceleration of 13. I think of how I want to play them and the gaps in their other skills and decide that 13 is about right and I'm happy with it. But I know I have to give them some aerobic training as I don't want it to get worse. Then I get confused - where should I aim it? At present I aim for the first click of medium. What would you do? Oh for a simple (and unrealistic!) 'maintain attribute' button!!

Beginning of medium should be more than enough. Lower if you don't care about the other attributes in the catergory. If you feel it's dropping too fast you can always up it again or use individual focus.

Similar issue about using focus. Say I have a central defender with weak passing. I might not want to boost their attacking schedule as points will go to other areas I'm not bothered about - so I train passing as a focus. All good so far - but when I've finished and want to give them a new focus, what then? If I have no training in 'attacking' - then surely the passing will fall again? Would I then give it a small boost to keep things as they are?

I tend to keep an eye on it and just keep adding it if it's really needed. Once an attribute as changed in value I always change the focus for a few months anyway.

Great guide as always.

Just in-case some people don't know you can also create a copy of the current schedule directly from the player's training page though obviously it won't be a blank one but the benefit is that you can do it directly instead of having to create blank ones on the training menu/page.

Its also important to realize that training levels impact form, hence impact match performance. So a midfielder should in most cases have a high level of ball control levels. I like to put fullbacks on defensive training, even if they are pretty decent two-way fullbacks, as that is their core function on my team. Wingers I will see if they get a lot of shots, then I will consider specializing their training to include more shooting, or maybe Forward training. Same for midfielders, I have a training schedule for any midfielders who are getting too much open space (i.e. they are taking a lot of shots, but not having much success). Its obvious the opposition is marking the more attacking players tightly, so hopefully my choice will pay off in the months ahead, even though I prefer not to take many long shots, at least the ones my players will take will be of a higher quality!

Most important, though, is to have players with:

1) potential.

2) good personality.

3) first team playing time.

Training is going to influence how the points are distributed, more so than how many points are gained, IMO.

Training is going to influence how the points are distributed, more so than how many points are gained, IMO.

You don't gain CA points through training your right, they only distribute them.

Nice to see you creating schedules based on how you play too :)

Is there a time limit for a player to reach his potential? For example, I brought an English wonderkid at 16, however due to my squad strength and loans he still has'nt reached his potential. I had a massive cull this season and streamlined my squad, he is now 22 is it too late for him?

Is there a time limit for a player to reach his potential? For example, I brought an English wonderkid at 16, however due to my squad strength and loans he still has'nt reached his potential. I had a massive cull this season and streamlined my squad, he is now 22 is it too late for him?

I guess it depends on which stage he is by now. He could still make a huge jump in his development if you are willing to give him enough playing time. Especially if you have an overall strong squad you shouldn't find it too hard to get him some time on the field. I think till he is 25 or 26 he can still improve quite rapidly if you give him lots of playing time.

Yeah, exactly, if you are willing to spend a lot of time on the kid they can keep developing nice and steady till around 26. But if you notice no improvement in the first three months, well, the decision just might have been made for you, at that point! But I have developed PLENTY of talented 22 year olds into great 25, 26 year old world beaters, some who my coaches didn't even rate all that highly!

Players can still improve their CA in their early 30's. Obviously any improvement at this age will only be small. I know this for a fact because I played a training game using FMRTE to see what was going on.

I never bother trying to develop anyone once they reach 23/24, because if they haven't improved by now I'd give up as if they even did start to develop now then they'd be no good to me after this age. That is the cut off point for myself. Especially as you don't really shape a player once he hits 24 it's more about maintaining his attributes rather than developing him as a player.

I never bother trying to develop anyone once they reach 23/24, because if they haven't improved by now I'd give up as if they even did start to develop now then they'd be no good to me after this age. That is the cut off point for myself. Especially as you don't really shape a player once he hits 24 it's more about maintaining his attributes rather than developing him as a player.

I think that players like keepers and Dc's, for example, could still improve and could be worthwhile trying to improve them even when they're 25-26, cause they tend to have a longer career.

I think that players like keepers and Dc's, for example, could still improve and could be worthwhile trying to improve them even when they're 25-26, cause they tend to have a longer career.

I'm on about shaping a player, after 24 you can't really do that. I'm not on about improvements :)

Good guide. Use a similar approach myself.

One thing though. Don't know if you are already aware, and just to make others aware, it's easier to create a players individual new schedule on this page. Just click the left circle and you have an option to click "new schedule". No need to create it in the squad training screen and then come back and click the same button again ;-)

Creating%203.png

Good guide. Use a similar approach myself.

One thing though. Don't know if you are already aware, and just to make others aware, it's easier to create a players individual new schedule on this page. Just click the left circle and you have an option to click "new schedule". No need to create it in the squad training screen and then come back and click the same button again ;-)

Creating 3.png

Yups I was aware, but I did state in the opening posts that this method is the easiest way for me to create new schedules. Especially as I do it at the beginning of the game which means all players will be on pre season training and it's easier to apply that in the actual team training, hence creating the blank schedules from that :)

And yeah someone else already posted above you can do it this way :)

I actually should edit the main post when I get around to it to include the other way maybe.

I refrained from commenting until now because I had already seen the information in posts 1 to 6 before, but those are some very interesting developments in Marcao's career. The new rightwing role for a striker is typically something that I'd be found doing. I can see Marcao being very effective there, in a Cristiano Ronaldo type of way. However, there are a few things that I'd like to know: Who did Marcao replace and if they were a highly creative player (in the Ganso mould) are you finding that with Marcao playing there, despite him being a wonderful player, some genius passes that could have been played are now not played? And what are Marcao's PPM's (and indeed Jacare's)?

I refrained from commenting until now because I had already seen the information in posts 1 to 6 before, but those are some very interesting developments in Marcao's career. The new rightwing role for a striker is typically something that I'd be found doing. I can see Marcao being very effective there, in a Cristiano Ronaldo type of way. However, there are a few things that I'd like to know: Who did Marcao replace and if they were a highly creative player (in the Ganso mould) are you finding that with Marcao playing there, despite him being a wonderful player, some genius passes that could have been played are now not played? And what are Marcao's PPM's (and indeed Jacare's)?

This is the player who I sold;

Taps.png

So as you can see they are very simliar types of players.

The creativity/flair isn't really an issue as it's more than high enough. Someone a lot more creative could be more selfish in his approach and try the spectacular far too often. In fact Marcao just got the most assist's record.

record.png

The system I play is the 3-2-2-2-1 that I posted about in the SI Sports Thread, so you'll see from that, that the creative play comes from the middle and the left side (Neymar) rather than the right. The right side is more about getting into good positions, creating space and putting balls into the box rather than finishing them. Although they seem to have no trouble scoring either.

15 assist's in 20 games is pretty decent.

His PPM's are;

Ppms.png

About the position training, will you stop doing it once it hits natural?

I've stopped doing it with a few players and they kept the position, with other players it dropped down to accomplished after a few matches, it probably depends on the hidden versatility attribute.

Is there a big difference between accomplished and natural?

About the position training, will you stop doing it once it hits natural?

I've stopped doing it with a few players and they kept the position, with other players it dropped down to accomplished after a few matches, it probably depends on the hidden versatility attribute.

Is there a big difference between accomplished and natural?

Decision making is a little less than it would be as natural.

Yeah I'll stop once/if I manage to get it to natural

Archived