[FM11] Matlock Town - The Give Youth A Chance Challenge

Tony Hawker

FM Version:

-FM 11, 11.3.0 patch

Database:

-Large

Leagues Loaded:

- England - Blue Square North / South

Since noone has completed this challenge I've decided to give it my best shot to be the first or one of the first to complete this challenge, I decided to holiday for 2 years instead of 1 to get a greater variety of teams and came up with Matlock Town.

From Wikipedia:

The club was established in the late 1870s and have competed in the Central Alliance and the Midland Counties League before reaching the Northern Premier League.

In the 1974–75 season the club won the FA Trophy which caused a major celebration in the town; their manager was Peter Swan, and the brothers Mick, Nick and Tom Fenoughty all played in the final. The coach and physiotherapist on that day was Harry Peck who had played for Chesterfield as a professional.

In the 1976–77 season, by then managed by Tom Fenoughty, Matlock reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup, their best performance in the competition. They beat Division Three leaders Mansfield Town and featured in a book "Tividale to Wembley" during this cup run.

In 1978 they won the Northern Premier League Cup for the first time and subsequently played in the Anglo-Italian Cup in the 1978–79 season.

For the 2009–10 season, they are a member of the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

During the 2010–11 season, on the 16th October, in an FA Trophy tie at home to Bedworth, Matlock scored 10 goals to progress through to the 2nd Qualifying Round. Ross Hannah scored 7 of the 10 goals in Matlock's biggest ever competitive home win.

The club play at Causeway Lane, known in recent seasons as the Geoquip Stadium for sponsorship reasons and now the Reynolds Stadium, near the centre of Matlock. The ground is on the northern side of Causeway Lane, opposite Hall Leys Park. At the eastern end of the football ground is a cricket oval, where Matlock Cricket Club play their home matches

The club's record attendance is 5,123 against Burton Albion in the 1975 FA Trophy semi-final.

The result equalled the club's biggest ever competitive win, 10–0 away to Lancaster City in 1975.

Matlock's chief rivals are Buxton but there is a keen sense of competition with other Derbyshire clubs Alfreton Town, Belper Town and Ilkeston Town.

Since they got promoted to Blue Square North here is how the BSN league has looked from the start:

sUhUl.png

KmcmK.png

RUpuf.png

duRLf.png

Here goes the very long road to the top!!!

Matlock Town FC - Blue Square North - 2014/15

It was our 3rd season in BSN an we were still predicted to finish 22nd and favourites for relegation, so the board reduce the wage budget too £900 with players wanting better paid contracts....great.

League Table

League Position Graph

Well pretty average, never looked like we were going in the relegation zone and finish a sole place higher than last year.

FA Cup - We completely played Pickering out of the park then got narrow wins against Boston & Belper to get us a 1st round home tie against League 1 Crawley, the match was televised and 1,335 people saw us put up a valiant display but lost 2-1, Crawley ended up making it all the way to the 4th Round.

FA Trophy - We fell at the first hurdle losing to Harrogate 1-0 in the 3rd Qualifying Round.

Squad - Decent but hoping to get a couple of good midfielders in the next intake.

Key Players:

Ian Atherton - Our top scoring striker and is only 19

Peter Campbell - Came through this year as already better than our starting goalie and went straight through to the first team.

Season             League                 Position              Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11                                                  On Holiday
2011/12                                                  On Holiday
2012/13      Blue Square North              19th
2013/14      Blue Square North              18th
2014/15      Blue Square North              17th

Just think, another 16 years and you will be 1st :D

Definitely need a good cup run to give you the finances to bolster the youth team before you will start moving up the leagues I reckon.

Thanks pnefc, I hope to get promoted after around 9-10 seasons though haha. And good luck with your youth only game too!

Good luck with this challenge,if anyone can do it,it's you :)

Thanks B.W.G, I shall try my best to complete it.

The new youth is in:

5ilZJ.png

UBvXD.png

I got my midfielder, he has 3 silver star CA and 4* PA and is already rated as twice the player of our best left midfielder.

EDIT: also, promoted to BSN this year are; Eastwood, Oxford City & Hednesford and we are 150-1 to win promotion to the BSP

Matlock Town FC - Blue Square North - 2015/16

So 4th season in, 4th season predicted 22nd, this time though things turned out a bit better.

League Table

League Position Graph

Our defence is woeful at best almost conceding the most in the league but our strikers, they just worked and we scroed the most in the league, I just hope I can find a good balance and concede less goals.

FA Cup - Had a scare against Hucknall before beating Nantwich and losing against Shrewsbury who ended up making it to the Third Round.

FA Trophy - Easily beat Curzon Ashton and absolutely thrashed BSP team Mansfield before losing badly to Stafford in the 2nd Round.

Squad - No change obviously other than promoting Sam Hayward into the First Team.

Key Players:

Ian Atherton - 27 League goals and nominated for Blue Square North POTY him and the next Key Player were vital for us.

Chung Chi Fai - 23 League goals, and with Ian, could be leading the strike for a few years yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13      Blue Square North              19th
2013/14      Blue Square North              18th
2014/15      Blue Square North              17th
2015/16      Blue Square North              13th

Matlock Town FC - Blue Square North - 2016/17

With our strike force sublime I hoped for a top 10 finish even though we were predicted for 19th place.

League Table

League Position Graph

We managed to get a top 10 finish! and it only took 5 years! next season I'll be pushing and hoping for a playoff spot, and hopefully a good defender.

FA Cup - didn't make it to the 1st Round even though we easily disposed of Whitby and Alfreton, we lost 3-0 to Tamworth in the 4th Qualifying Round.

FA Trophy - Struggled to beat Colwyn Bay, had to use the replay to beat Northwich before beating Alfreton again in the 2nd Round before losing to Tamworth....again....getting tired of Tamworth now...

Squad - Brought John Jimoh up from the Youth Team and Ali Sezghin up from the Reserves to give him a shot in goal.

Key Players

Chung Chi Fai - Another great season from him, breaking all sorts of records including Top Goalscorer (35) Top League Goalscorer (30) Most League Goals for Club (67) and most MOTM (8) and he's only 19 years old!!

John Jimoh - Only 17 and is one of the best at the club, 29 goals in your debut season isn't too shabby if you ask me.

2012/13      Blue Square North              19th         FA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 3rd Qual. Rnd
2013/14      Blue Square North              18th         FA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 1st Rnd
2014/15      Blue Square North              17th         FA Cup 1st Rnd, FA Trophy 3rd Qual. Rnd
2015/16      Blue Square North              13th         FA Cup 4th Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 2nd Rnd
2016/17      Blue Square North               9th         FA Cup 4th Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 3rd Rnd

Good progress, i tried this challenge myself but after getting relagated in my first year and only just surviving with a different team the next i gave up. It's too frustrating!!

Thanks, it's definitely one of the hardest challenges out there, if not THE hardest, it takes a lot of patience to get anywhere but the feeling of any achievement is much greater when you get anywhere!

It is very frustrating indeed. I am attempting the challenge and have taken TNS in Wales to near relegation from League Favourites in only 2 seasons lol. i have taken a little break from that save before i smash my pc up.

Good luck Jack, don't give up, the good thing with Wales is that there is only one league and if you do well enough you go straight into the Champions League Qualifiers which gives you heaps of money to improve your Youth Facilities, unlike me where I have to go up 5 divisions AND try and beat the massive teams in the Premiership before I get to the Champions League.

Also thanks for commenting because I thought noone else was looking at this thread apart from me :(

Matlock Town FC - Blue Square North - 2017/18

After last year top 10 finish I wanted to try and atleast push for promotion this year.

League Table

League Position Graph

We made a fantastic start to the season where we won 3 of the first 4 games and we managed to hold off most other teams to get into the playoffs on the last day, where we beat Corby 3-1 on agg before losing to Harrogate 3-2 (aet) so close....yet so very far.

FA Cup - Well we easily beat Mickleover & Mansfield before thrashing Alfreton 5-1 before being thrashed 4-0 by Wrexham in the 1st Round.

FA Trophy - Much much better! We only just managed to beat Buxton 4-3 in the 3rd Qual Round followed by 1-0 and a 2-0 win against Gainsborough & Altrincham, we needed a replay to beat Stalybridge 3-2, we then beat BSS side Ebbsfleet 3-2 in the 4th Round to set us up with a Semi-Final tie against Shrewsbury....where things didn't go quite to plan, we lost 3-1 at their place, and lost 1-0 at home, ending our FA Trophy dream.

Squad - I released a couple of players who hadn't played at all in their 5 years here to free the wage budget because it was 'worrying' the board, I sent other players like the players who didn't make an appearance into the Reserves so it made the actual squad a lot smaller.

Key Players:

Chung Chi Fai - What else can I say about him....he's 20 years old, had 201 league appearances for the club scoring 86 goals so far.

Ali Sezgin - Our Goalkeeper, I didn't pay any attention to him at first as he didn't start for Matlock in the first 3 years, spending 2 years in the Youth Team and 1 year in the Reserves, and now he's first choice, this year he even got an assist to his name I love to see a goal scoring/ assisting goalkeeper.

2012/13      Blue Square North              19th         FA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 3rd Qual. Rnd
2013/14      Blue Square North              18th         FA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 1st Rnd
2014/15      Blue Square North              17th         FA Cup 1st Rnd, FA Trophy 3rd Qual. Rnd
2015/16      Blue Square North              13th         FA Cup 4th Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 2nd Rnd
2016/17      Blue Square North               9th         FA Cup 4th Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 3rd Rnd
2017/18      Blue Square North               5th         FA Cup 1st Rnd , FA Trophy Semi-Finals, Lost in Playoff Finals

Is there anything else you guys want to see, like how other clubs are performing, or anything to get more people commenting here ;)

Its worth signing on everyone possible at this stage as you cant sign coaches if im right? Hes not got great motivating but hes got good defending and decent working with youth which may prove useful. Dont forget that he will get better too!

Edit: just seen he prefers scout, depends on what you really need but you could go for scout or coach.

Your finances are bad.Hopefully a promotion this year will give them a boost. Have you tried arranging friendlies with championship's or even Premiership's teams to earn money?

I tried this challenge last month, I failed to get a single decent youth player in 3 seasons and decided to stop, I may try again sometime though, I like Brazilians so maybe i should try there?

Good luck with your next season, maybe promotion bound.

Time flies: hGsQG.png

Also Vizrahen, best of luck if you do try again, Brazil would be quite tricky due to the league & the State Championships which could eventually lead to around 70 games per year which could take it's toll on the team.

And thanks, we're currently in 3rd position after 7 games, so I'm hoping for a promotion :thup:

Wow Jimoh is turning into a hell of a player - has he attracted any attention from any bigger clubs yet?

Amazingly no, I've not set an asking price for him but there's no major or even minor interest from any clubs for him, which is good for me

I did have interest in this until you've started playing a shed loads of friendlies in foreign countries. No club does this mid season.

I take the blame for this, I suggested it - don't not follow because of me (and technically it was in pre-season not mid season :p )

Matlock Town FC - Blue Square North - 2018/19

After last years Play-Off Final defeat, this was our year.

League Table

League Position Graph

We held 1st place for the majority of the year, even being 7 points ahead at one point, we nearly bottled it and were heading for more playoffs but we managed to hold on and be promoted as Champions! we're going to the Blue Square Premiership!!!

FA Cup - A bit dissapointing really, we thrashed Frickley 6-1 and Billingham Syn 5-1 but didn't make it to the First Round because we narrowly lost 3-2 away to Mansfield.

FA Trophy - Again dissapointing, beat Eastwood 3-0 before losing 3-0 to Macclesfield in the First Round.

Squad - Colin Ashton has retired and declined my Job Offer to be a scout....

Key Players:

Chung Chi Fai - There is literally nothing to say, him and the next player are almost our whole team.

John Jimoh - Far too good for the Blue Square leagues, 128 appearances and 73 goals, amazed no club has made an offer for him!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18      Blue Square North               5th         FA Cup 1st Rnd , FA Trophy Semi-Finals, Lost in Playoff Finals
2018/19      Blue Square North               1st         FA Cup 4th Qual. Rnd, FA Trophy 1st Rnd, Promoted as Champions

Archived