4-4-2 Unorthodox FM10

2445wjl.jpg2j2gfhi.jpg

I decided to apply my Unorthodox 4-4-2 tactic from FM09 into FM10 and after getting some good results I decided to share. This tactic takes an asymmetrical approach with just one winger, and an #10 in front of 2 midfielders, behind 2 forwards.

Results: I have taken West Ham to the 2nd position in the Premier League right behind Chelsea. Tactic was especially very effective at home as I have won all 11 games. Most of the players kept an average rating above 7. My 4 forwards in rotation scored 32 goals and my #10 helped them with 9 goals and 10 assists.

Instructions: Team is taking a fluid attacking approach with short passes. Long Shots are set to rarely, as players seem to take them unnecessarily. Except two full backs, players are set to tight man marking to provide a tough defense. Defensive line, width and tempo are at the top notch of Normal. Counter attacks are allowed to use early options with 3 upfront players.

GK: Defending Goalkeeper

DR/DL: Automatic fullbacks with reduced closing down and creative freedom

DC: Defending Central Defenders

MC: Supporting Deep-Lying Playmakers with reduced mentality and closing down

AMR/AML: Supporting Winger

AMC: Supporting Advanced Playmaker with increased dribbling

FC: Complete Forwards

Tips:

- For tough away games and in the games that you lost control, move your MC on wingless side to DMC position and AMC to MC's position. It improves the defense and creates very good counter attacks. (like this)

- Always tweak the tactic to fit to your players. For instance, if you have a big&fast forward partnership, edit the forward instructions to fit to them. Or if you have a player with good long shots attribute, increase his long shots duty.

- Use left or right version according to your or your opponent's wingback.

- Although there is no focus passing assigned attacks usually come through the flank where your only winger plays. As there are many players to pass there, those attacks end in clear positions in front of goal. And one of the wingbacks own a flank. You need to have a fast player there.

- AMC is the center of your play. Create your star in that position.

- Team talks/Training are as important as your tactic.

Download tactic: left / right

I thought i'd finish off my Man Utd save using these tactics and i got off to a great start away to Juve in the CL winning 3-1.

I then played Burnley at OT and had a lucky 2-1 win(og and a scorcher from Rooney) although we outplayed them somewhat we did'nt break them down or create any good chances.

Won 1-0 away to Bolton next, dominated mostly but not a great amount of good chances.

I then lost 2-1 to Villa away, having been 1-0 up at HT we did'nt manage a single attempt in the second half and could have lost by more.

Then came a 4-1 win away to City, the stats were close but we had 5 CCC's to their 0

Won 4-1 at Home to Everton in our last EPL match of the Demo where again we created some good chances.

Last game was FA Cup 3rd round away to Bolton who had two good early chances to our 1, but we went in 2-1 up at HT. We ended it with a pretty comfortable 3-1 win.

Thats 6 wins and 1 loss, 19 goals scored and 6 conceded and it looked very much like the tactic was starting to take off with those 3 solid victories at the end.

Funny, but i have had massive success in this Demo with Liverpool, West Ham, Villa and City and the only two times i have struggled has been with Chelsea and UTD???

Off to start a new West Ham save, will let you know how i get on!

hammer1000, in those successful saves, did you make any changes to your tactic while playing away?

and if so, what did you do?

No changes mate, but used a couple of the "shouts" retain possession and such.

I was using a very good 4-2-3-1 tactic that was winning games very easily with Liverpool and consistent with West Ham(finished 5th in the Demo) but it was poor with both Chelsea and Utd, i say poor, with Chelsea i won 11 and drew 9 in the Demo and with the first 10 games with United i won 4 and drew 6 before i changed to another tactic.

@ themavsman

CMAddict was a killer tactic but diamond era is over. A similar shaped home tactic can be created but for the away games you will loose the control of the games very easily.

@ Hammer1000

Another tip for West Ham(actually for any team) can be the rotation of strikers. You need to rotate between at least 3 good strikers and choose the best partnership according to their morale and form. For me, Diamanti scored at the beginning of the season. Then Cole started scoring. After Ashton came back from injury he took the lead. You can keep the same players for defense, but I have observed that there are some games in which your striker isn't able to score no matter how much CCCs he gets. Rotation is must for strikers in the demo I believe.

Other than that, in the half time you can switch between left and right tactics. Sometimes that surprises the opposition and comes up with better football in the second half.

Thanks for your feedback from your Man Utd game. I am looking forward to your results with West Ham.

@ matthew56

Mostly "You can win this game". If I am clear favourite "Expect a win". If it is a derby "For the fans". In the half time, "Encourage" unless I am clear upfront. Again "You can win this game" if I am drawing.

Uysaler, are you using shouts or changing mentality during match?

So far played 2 matches:

Cagliari 2-2 Palermo (0-2 at halftime) ccc 3-5

Catania 1-3 Palermo ccc 0-5

4 goals provided by Miccoli and one Rivaldo

@ dingo

I checked the links mate, they are working. Just click on download on the new page.

@ Zigi

I don't change mentality. I increase time wasting at the end of the wet games. I have used mostly "Retain possession" to get the control of the game and "Get the Ball Forward" when I am behind up until now and they seem to improve the game.

@ matthew56

"You can win this" again

@ Los_Culés

Midfield automatically streches down to both wings as closing down is high and tackling is normal on the midfielders. When one of the MC close down the wing, the winger also comes back and a solid 3 man midfield is formed.

@ simsejensen

Thanks mate. I hope you will have fun with these also.

@ lolzbear

Thanks for the feedback. Scoring problems I have had in West Ham were mostly due strikers' inconsistency. In some games, they seem to do nothing on the field. Therefore, rotation was a must. I hope it changes in the full game.

amazing tactic!

am using it with my united side and yes its man united so i should be beating teams every game, as alot of peops with say.

But this tactic is really good, one small change i made is make one of your strikers a target man, this seems to work really well! also i think you need to have 2 full backs on each side and rotate them as the fitness levels for them go down the quickest.

My results so far:

Chelsea 1 - 3 Man Utd

Man Utd 4 - 0 Spurs

Man Utd 3 - 0 West Ham

Birmingham 0 - 3 Man Utd (carrick was sent off in the first half, didnt make much difference, i just moved a striker in CM)

Great tactic with some really good results i think

on demo it was great:

333lm49.png

but on 10.1 full game i start new game with united and its still good but i lose 3-1 away to liverpool, 4-1 away to marseille and struggle sometimes against smaller teams. my defence conceded twice as many goals as the chelsea game after 5 or 6 matches.

taz0711 are you on 10.1? how do you do opposition isntruction / team talk also what strategy do you play against top 4 sides and in europe

on demo it was great:

but on 10.1 full game i start new game with united and its still good but i lose 3-1 away to liverpool, 4-1 away to marseille and struggle sometimes against smaller teams. my defence conceded twice as many goals as the chelsea game after 5 or 6 matches.

taz0711 are you on 10.1? how do you do opposition isntruction / team talk also what strategy do you play against top 4 sides and in europe

Hi im on the 10.1 patch. I dont do any opposition instructions unless my assistant recommends me to such as going hard on a player, but i only really do this if im facing some one decent.

Team talk

Pre match - Leave to assistant

Half Time - If winning then pleased, drawing or loosing encourage

Full Time - Any one +7.0 praise them

Also i am only using the right sided version as i find i have a stronger 11 this way round, find out who is your best AML/R and use the side which is stronger. Then on the side where you dont have anyone on the wing you need your full back to be very quick! So if your using the right sided version of this tactic, get a really fast LB as he can track up and down the left hand side all day!

Ive been using this tactic for 1½ season in the full game.. I did some tweaks on my own though, to suit my Man City team..

Won the treble first season, and community + the CL group stage. This was done with 0 signings the first season.

I took the positions back to a normal flat 442, but putted Robinho on AML and used him as a Inside Forward..

Only did that and the usual tweaks accordingly to player attributs, and prefering "more direct" method of playing..

I like this game ;)

I finally started playing the game. I will share v2 soon. (I changed my mind about this. The tweak I added to the tips in the first post works quite well. Use that.)

Tactic is still great for home games. With some good forwards you can beat any team.

For the away games, and in the last minutes when I want to protect the lead I use this tweak. I move one of the MCs to DMC position and AMC to that MC's position. It improves the defense and creates very good counter attacks.

@ simsejensen

Thanks for the feedback mate. Shaping as classic 4-4-2 is fine if you have strong solid MCs and Man City has those this season.

@ Bariner

Thanks for the feedback mate.

Hi Uysaler Emircan,

This morning before I go to office, I had tried this tactic for my struggling Tottenham Hotspur,..

The match is: "Birmingham City vs Tottenham Hotspur" which had been won by me for 1-2..

but I'm very very impressed with the performances of my team.. I controlled the match entirely..!!

I'll give a further feedback tonight.. :)

cheers,..

so far a mixed bag, not conceeding many but scoring is an issue

Maidenhead 1 BASINGSTOKE 0 LOSE

St Albans City 1 BASINGSTOKE 1 DRAW

BASINGSTOKE 2 Havant 1 WIN

BASINGSTOKE 1 Hampton 1 DRAW

Woking 1 BASINGSTOKE 1 DRAW

Cowes 0 BASINGSTOKE 1 WIN (HANTS CUP)

BASINGSTOKE 1 Dorchester 1 DRAW

Hi Uysaler,

Thanks for the great tactic, seems to be working well so far with my West Ham team.. I do have a question though and I apologise for being "a bit thick", but how do you determine whether to use left or right tactic?

In your notes you say "Use left or right version according to your or your opponent's wingback.", now does that mean you look to see if they have a weak left/right back and if so play your left/right tactic accordingly? I was just thinking about the Chelsea situation where you have Ashley Cole and Boswinga who are both decent'ish fullbacks.

The reason I ask is that in some games (i.e against Wolves) I was 2-0 at half time using the right sided tactic, I switched to left sided and won 3-2. :-)

Thanks

Monkster

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying this tactic with my current West Ham side and I am unbeaten in 5 games. Problem is, I am leaking far too many last gasp goals. Won 2, Drawn 3 - All 3 draws have been last minute equalisers. Any ideas how I can patch up the "leaks"

Otherwise, it's a very good tactic on first impressions!

Great tactic. Using it in my Bayer Leverkusen save as I dont have a natural right winger and it works quite well so far. Only problem is that I have problems against mid table clubs when playing them away. But still... second place, 2 points behind Wolfsburg after 21 games (14-2-5), I can live with that as board expectations were top half finish.

I experience a bunch of goals in the last 10, 15 minutes too, but usually its me who scores them to turn games.

Archived