Finished 4th with west ham but arsenal finished 6th won champions league

Hi all as the title says ive just finished fourth in prem with west ham but arsenal who finished 6th have just won the champions league, so i am just wondering if i still qualify for the champions league, for what its worth the league table is showing as if ive qualified for the europa league :(

It is an awful rule. I don't know why they don't just do what they did with Liverpool and Everton in 2005/06 and just put them both in. Punishing a team who performed better over a whole season for something out of their control is very unfair, but at the same time, leaving the reigning champions out of the Champs League would take away some of the magiv from the competition. Just put the winners in the early qualifying rounds!

It could happen this season if Chelsea win the Champs League but finish below Arsenal or Liverpool!

It is an awful rule. I don't know why they don't just do what they did with Liverpool and Everton in 2005/06 and just put them both in. Punishing a team who performed better over a whole season for something out of their control is very unfair, but at the same time, leaving the reigning champions out of the Champs League would take away some of the magiv from the competition. Just put the winners in the early qualifying rounds!

It could happen this season if Chelsea win the Champs League but finish below Arsenal or Liverpool!

Definite troll

I don't know why they don't just do what they did with Liverpool and Everton in 2005/06 and just put them both in.

I'm still not entirely sure how/why that managed to happen. It certainly didn't happen in 2000 when Zaragoza missed out.

It was a one off wasn't it, the Liverpool/Everton one. Both teams kicked up a fuss and for UEFA to have the holders in would have been more beneficial. Think about it, Liverpool, 5 times winners iirc, fairly big club, more money and money talks. Now they've changed the rules so no one can complain.

Hi guys thanks for the messages to make this even more gutting i actually beat arsenal on the last day of the prem season to leapfrog them into 4th only for arsenal to then beat lpool (who had won the league by about 16 points) in the final

To be quite honest I don't see why the winners have a divine right to inclusion anyway. You can argue about history and prestige all you like but if you finish 5th (or whatever the equivalent position is) you can't be that great. It's bad enough that the 'Champions' League includes sides that aren't champions, but to include a team that can't even meet UEFA's very generous criteria for inclusion in the elite competition just because they happened to win it the year before is silly. Especially when if a team wins the CL and then finishes 5th (or whatever) then by definition they must have been lucky to win it.

Indeed that was the sickest of burns

Bit of a twisted meaning of the word 'Champion'. I always thought of it as the league title winners - you hear Premier League Champions often but I have never heard of FA Cup Champions or Johnstone's Paint Trophy Champions. They are 'Winners'. The Champions League is a competition for champions. Sematics maybe.

The league is a different and more demanding competition to do well in, and the CL serves as both a reward for doing well domestically and a competition for Europe's elite. A Team that finishes fifth in the PL has neither done particularly well in the league (relatively speaking) nor has a claim to be considered a member of Europe's elite.

I'm still not entirely sure how/why that managed to happen. It certainly didn't happen in 2000 when Zaragoza missed out.

IIRC Liverpool had to qualify right from the beginning while Everton started from the regular 4th place qualifier.

IIRC Liverpool had to qualify right from the beginning while Everton started from the regular 4th place qualifier.

True, but my point was about a special case being made for the English clubs, but not the Spanish clubs five years earlier. Maybe it was just a case of the Spanish FA/clubs being less manipulative?

But in 2000 Real Madrid (finished 5th) entered the CL as holders with Zaragoza (finished 4th) missing out. What was different about Liverpool/Everton?

I am pretty certain that in 2000 only 3 teams from Spain and England entered the Champions League.

England had Arsenal, Man Utd and Leeds

Spain had Valencia, Depo La Courna and Barca

While Italy and Germany had four

Italy had Lazio, Juventus and AC Milan (Inter lost in 3rd Qual)

Germany had Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and Hamburg (1860 Munich lost in 3rd Qual)

Real Madrid then entered as winners with Zaragoza always going to UEFA Cup.

I know the Coefficients for 2000/01 had Italy with most European places than any other country (8) and majority of other major countries with six ir seven

They should just have them play a qualifier game in the 3rd round against each other for the right to go in the usual spot that they would get in the 4th qualifying round. It would be good entertainment at least :p

Yer ive now gone man city an bought mosta me back room staff with me aswell as my best players,I thought that after five years 2 fa cup wins an a runner up that i deserved to be in champions league At lastAn yes susan it is typical west ham to finish fourth but still not qualify

I am pretty certain that in 2000 only 3 teams from Spain and England entered the Champions League.

England had Arsenal, Man Utd and Leeds

Spain had Valencia, Depo La Courna and Barca

While Italy and Germany had four

Italy had Lazio, Juventus and AC Milan (Inter lost in 3rd Qual)

Germany had Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and Hamburg (1860 Munich lost in 3rd Qual)

Real Madrid then entered as winners with Zaragoza always going to UEFA Cup.

I know the Coefficients for 2000/01 had Italy with most European places than any other country (8) and majority of other major countries with six ir seven

I suppose it could have dropped for that one year as Spain had four teams in 1999/00 and 2001/02.

• 9 months later...

Archived