The Four Game Streak

So at first I didn't think too much of this but the more I play the game the more it is becoming blatently obvious that there is something in the game which creates four game streaks.

What I mean by this is going four games without losing and then you lose or going four games without winning and then you win.

I have actually lost count of the amount of times I have noticed this, I am sure that some of this is down to the fact that the media comment after four games, but it is happening far too often for this to be the sole reason I am noticing it. It is as if after those four games the team takes a turn for the better/worse.

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

It's definitely your tactics. :)

This happens to me a lot too, I have started having private chats to my players after two defeats in a row to let them know I am not happy. It helps to some degree. It seems harder to keep the winning streak going, I am aggressively telling my players that I expect to win to try to ward off complacency. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I certainly have seen some streaks which I didn't understand. Had a season started with 6 games unbeaten, then 4 without a win, followed by 6 games unbeaten. All this right after another. Thereafter however, the remaining season was streakless with wins and losses showing no real pattern which could not be explained by tough or easy opposition. SO all in all it seems okay to me.

The human mind can find patterns extremely easy, it's one of the (few) things we are good at. What we are not so good at is determining whether those patterns have meaning, are a result of chance, or happenstance (which are not the same things), or as is often the case, a combination of them (but if so, in what proportion).

Groups of football results are notoriously difficult to decipher for these same reasons.

no, its the fact you get a few home games in a row, then a few away games in a row.

it is far too stacked when you play away.

Stacked isn't quite the right word. Being at home always gives extra confidence and motivation to one side, and some might say it slightly influences some referee decisions. But if you can adapt your tactics to the situation you should be able to gain points anywhere, assuming you have the players to compete in the league.

and so it should.

but to me sometimes i can try 4 differant formations (good old runtimes meing replaying a game) changing mid game makes one work, try that one from start next time, same result. i dont mean it is slight, the effect on thier team and yours makes it far to unbalanced.

and 4-5-1 control = 20% possesion?

and so it should.

but to me sometimes i can try 4 differant formations (good old runtimes meing replaying a game) changing mid game makes one work, try that one from start next time, same result. i dont mean it is slight, the effect on thier team and yours makes it far to unbalanced.

and 4-5-1 control = 20% possesion?

There's a lot more to tactics than just changing a formation. If you are getting just 20% possession then your tactics are seriously flawed.

by standing around like idiots instead of passing usually, it wasn't a game i expected to be competative in, it was the usual away game to a top club. but when you have internationals in your team, i do expect them to not play like statues

OK, so you're playing control strategy in an away game against a top club. That's probably your problem there. Their defenders and midfielders will have no problem marking your men, and you don't have any safe passing options because they're going to intercept you every time.

You should try to draw them forward, and counter attack.

Im currently losing 13 on the bounce with notts forest =/

started as darlo, got them top of blue square then got them top of league 2, 15 games in before forest(in the prem at the time) came for me, said what the hell for the challenge, and now i cant find a win anywhere, ive tried so many differ tactics, got a few freebies and plug gaps in the weak side but nothing =/

Im currently losing 13 on the bounce with notts forest =/

started as darlo, got them top of blue square then got them top of league 2, 15 games in before forest(in the prem at the time) came for me, said what the hell for the challenge, and now i cant find a win anywhere, ive tried so many differ tactics, got a few freebies and plug gaps in the weak side but nothing =/

You have your answer there...

If you have all but eliminated tactics as a source of your problem, why continue looking for more of them? What is worse, changing tactics all the time will only sabotage your team's chances of winning games because players won't gel and won't know what to do and when to do it. Stick to one attacking and one defensive tactic and switch between them when necessary (but never from start). Make it simple: no extreme instructions, no weird game plans, maintain tactical balance even when attacking, let the players use their skills. Then you drop deeper, reduce closing down, play narrower and save to a new file.

Then you encourage the players, reduce pressure and salute both good results and good performances.

And then you build a team of athletes. And then you build a team of athletes with good mental attributes. And then you bulild a team of athletes with good mental and technical attributes and win everything.

Edit: and as for the OP, yes the game is still streaky. Form goes either up or down, so at one point it changes. It will turn from one to the other at different times in different clubs because the players will be different and the fixture list different and the club reputation/pre-match odds calculations are different (once you face a team with -some- qualities which is touted as sufficiently huge underdogs, your team will collapse due to a combination of pressure and complacency... and the same goes the other way around; you end streaks too!). For the same reason as every human manager will experience different form streak patterns because no two games are the same, all of us will have similar patterns throughout seasons and savegames because we often stick to one team for quite a bit of time.

i scored in every game of the season as man utd.... so naturally. last game is a 0-0 draw -_-

i tried counter against top clubs, the same thing happens, the keeper just hoofs the ball into midfield and they regain possesion even when i said WORK THE BALL

Does that shout even have an effect on your keeper?! If you haven't already done so, set your keeper to distribute the ball to a Right/Left Back.

Archived