Are there any truly notable bugs that will be fixed soon?

I ask because I finally bought FM12 in the Steam sale, and am considering installing it and playing my first game. But if there's a significant patch coming with the January transfer update that resolves notably awful or game-breaking bugs or issue, I'll happily hold off until then. I'm planning to start a reasonably long career, and I don't want to settle into it until the best possible version of FM12 is available.

Generally, the January transfer update combines with the final patch, and has been released in early March for the last few years, I would expect the same again this year.

For me, there are no huge/show-stopping bugs that need fixing but I am sure other people will tell you they have some - it all depends on what you consider to be awful/game-breaking.

There are some software conflict problems involving how Steam updates FM. I think most problems with Steam comes from not waiting long enough for Steam to do its thing. After having installed and activated FM on Steam, I would re-start the whole computer at least 3-4 times and let the computer and Steam stay online for at least 24 hours before attempting to start FM.

This because on my own computer, on which I have had Steam installed for years, FM started just fine minutes after I downloaded it, and the same could be said for my dad's old computer. But when installing Steam on a new computer, then downloading and installing FM, I have encountered lots of trouble every time.

Steam is supposed to update itself and its games automatically but it doesn't always do this and you can't force updates.

I got a crash yesterday when I took control of Castilla and tried to sign a player (I wasn't allowed), then I think I clicked on the squad registration and bang desktop. Other than this I can't say I have noticed any -bugs- in the game, but there are of course balancing issues and a lot of stuff that can be improved. Some of the new features are contested.

The defensive side of things could do with some coding, for instance when my full-backs are left one on one due to the striker beating my defender, they never run across to intercept the player. They simply mark their winger and let the guy run through without moving toward him.

Bits like that need changing, unrealistic player decisions in-game etc, but otherwise it plays well enough. The injury system could use toning down a bit, at the very least in severity of said injuries. Just mentioned in a thread I just started that by October in the SPL I had 15 players out until January with ligament/knee/ankle injuries. I was getting 3 a game, which was just ridiculous.

Still, shouldn't be too big of a fix, just tone the regularity down a bit and make 3 week injuries more apparent, or 1 week 'dead legs' etc.

1 big thing that needs fixing is the fact that Villa cannot sign any decent scouts and youth coaches, i beleive newcastle cannot sign youth coaches and derby have a similar problem!! This definitely needs looking at!!!!!

I agree with this, would only need a fix for these teams and Huddersfield but it is something that does stop me being any of those teams

I ask because I finally bought FM12 in the Steam sale, and am considering installing it and playing my first game. But if there's a significant patch coming with the January transfer update that resolves notably awful or game-breaking bugs or issue, I'll happily hold off until then. I'm planning to start a reasonably long career, and I don't want to settle into it until the best possible version of FM12 is available.

I'm surprised the above posts haven't pointed out that you're missing how Steam works now. In order to install and play FM12 you have to activate it via Steam and that automatically updates to the latest patch, so you have no choice at all - either play with the latest patch or don't play at all. Personally I'm playing happily with the original version, not updated at all.

I'm surprised the above posts haven't pointed out that you're missing how Steam works now. In order to install and play FM12 you have to activate it via Steam and that automatically updates to the latest patch, so you have no choice at all - either play with the latest patch or don't play at all. Personally I'm playing happily with the original version, not updated at all.

I don't think that's what he's talking about. I think he's asking if there is any point in starting a game now (irrelevant of the current patch version) if the last patch will introduce the need to start a new career - because if there was a game-breaking bug then it is likely the fix wouldn't be save-compatible.

• Administrators

There are no 'game-breaking' bugs in the game, there are a couple of issues we're aware need investigating which they are but there's absolutely no reason to wait go a new update before starting. A with all update we highly recommend being on the latest version - I started a game in 12.0 and have been happily updating with the same save with no major issues.

Wingplay

Defending

Left sided attackers finishing!!!

;-)

mate, exactly my point ;)

what Ive also noticed is, (was also a problem in fm11) that the game is really focused onto the left flank. I dont know what to do, but even when I ask my keeper to pass to my right back, he always passes it to the left back and almost 95% of my attacks or build ups coming from the left flank. I think the reason for this is, because the most keepers are right footed and right handed and they always prefer to play the ball to the left side. in my opinion this is due to the one dimensionality of the match engine. I mean, irl a right footed player can easily pass the ball to the left side either with the inside of his right foot or just with his weaker left foot, but in fm, players never use their weaker foots to play a short pass. also amc, and the attacking wingers dont to anything defensively. they always stay arround and dont close down the opposition, when the opposition is near to my half. in fm 11 this was not the case. players are really too cautious in terms of tacklings. they often watch and let the opposition player run away and hesitate to tackle, which was far better in fm 11 aswell. without hard tackling, you badly win a ball and this is also a reason, why the opposition, even when its a lower division side, often has as much shots on goal as you, since the defensive players always let them run towards your goal and you only have a chance to win possession, when they have shot xD

crosses are awful, as well as the movement of the strikers and amc. the amc with move into channels and roam never runs sidewards to the flanks to offer passing option to the wingers and so on, much more either stays in the middle of the pitch or trying to make forward runs exactly to the same direction as the striker. the poacher always falls deep, even when I tell him to play on the shoulder of the defenders, he often acts like a deep lying playmaker...

To be fair, the match engine has always had quirks, and that stuff can be addressed with a patch in a way major problems sometimes can't, so I don't mind living with it. I've been playing for a couple days now and enjoying it even more than FM11, though the learning curve for team talks, meetings, and morale is pretty steep when you start out managing Vigor Lamezia in Serie C2B as a semi-pro. :o

There are 2:

1) Sometimes the results do not reflect the actual in game result. Eg. just played a draw and when I exit it says I lost 2-0. However if you save before each game, just replay it or accept it. It happened twice in my 6 seasons so no big deal.

2) My youth players going on olimpics don't return. Albeit 1 of them did come home during the summer after 7 months (7months development out the window though).

If you consider these gamebreaking that's up to you.

I have been playing an internet game with sheffield wednesday and have encountered the following issues:

Crashes when clicking on staff

Unable to start from steam several times which has required reinstall of both fm and steam

Clicking submit team and just ending up in the tactics window and with no way to proceed

Getting unread messages indication which does not exist which causes the game to be unable to continue due to "must respond" messages

Playing a game 1-1 and yet after the game it says I won 4-2 (happened once)

Being about 400k under my salary cap and still only being able to offer keyplayers 60k (started recently and might not be a bug)

All these issues except for the last one I would consider game breaker.

I have played FM in internet games since 2005 and had no issues what so ever so encountering these many issues is very unnerving especially if someone from SI does not recognize that any major bugs exists.

Btw all the bugs I have listed I have also found reported by other people in the bugs forum.

Archived