My star player wants to leave :(

This is Ryan Lopez Peralta, the best midfielder in the world. He has been a first team member for my Oxford side since the age of 14. He has played 455 times for Oxford and has 40 winners medals including 11 premier leagues and 6 champions leagues. He now wants to leave and is in the last year of his contract. I've offered him the bigest contract i could, £235,000 per week and £12m signing on fee and he still rejected it.

I'm gutted as he is one of the best players i've ever had on any FM. Guess i'll have to cash in on him now or he will leave on a free at the end of the season :(

ii2y.png

Unlucky mate, he looks fantastic. How long has he been unhappy for? Do you need the money from his sale? If you don't, and he hasn't been unhappy too long, I'd wait it out and see if he becomes happier again and you can convince him to stay. Shame he wants to go, is it just the old "needs a new challenge" thing?

It's happened to me with almost every player i've ever had at Oxford on my FM10 save. Is this just an FM10 thing? I tend to get promising youngsters then play them for a long as possible and rarely buy anyone over the age of 24 so maybe thats why i see it more? I've lost count of the times my ass man tells me a player wants a new challenge.

What i want to know is: is this realistic? We are the best side in the world by far so any move away from Oxford is a downstep. One of two players over the years wanting a move away fair enough, but every single player after they've been with us after 5/6 years?

Nah, it's not every player. I do think it's disproportionately high, but I've had similar players who have taken the club to heart and never left. I even tried to sell one of them about 4 times across a 20 year career, and he still didn't want to leave.

Like i say i'm still on FM10 so not sure if it's any better on FM11.

That's what I've gone back to. Not had anywhere near the same problems on FM11.

I've noticed I've never had a regularly playing GK say he wants to leave though.

Thats another isuue with FM10. World class keepers leaving their clubs at the end of their contracts. For Oxford i've never had to pay for a keeper in 23 seasons as almost every year you can sign a top class international keeper who is out of contract.

This is Ryan Lopez Peralta, the best midfielder in the world. He has been a first team member for my Oxford side since the age of 14. He has played 455 times for Oxford and has 40 winners medals including 11 premier leagues and 6 champions leagues. He now wants to leave and is in the last year of his contract. I've offered him the bigest contract i could, £235,000 per week and £12m signing on fee and he still rejected it.

I'm gutted as he is one of the best players i've ever had on any FM. Guess i'll have to cash in on him now or he will leave on a free at the end of the season :(

ii2y.png

that sucks mate how much did he go for?

Happens to at least 3 of my first team players a season - but it'll never happen to someone who has your club on their favoured list.

I'm dreading the day my keeper hands in his request - he's scored over 50 goals for me in the last 7 seasons :(

I've always got a youth player ready to take the place of a departing star so my team is never in trouble.

Happens to at least 3 of my first team players a season - but it'll never happen to someone who has your club on their favoured list.

I'm dreading the day my keeper hands in his request - he's scored over 50 goals for me in the last 7 seasons :(

I've always got a youth player ready to take the place of a departing star so my team is never in trouble.

Yeah you are right, despite all the years and silverware, Oxford are not listed as his favourite club.

Like you i will never be in trouble when the stars want to leave, it's just a bit sad.

I say - let him go. Even if he gives up on the idea of leaving for a while, it'll come back, eventually. Keeping him against his will will only destroy morale amongs the team. Besides, probably if you dig deep enough you'll find a player with skills similar to his or better.

Thats what i would do, keep him as long as possible and hope he comes around, i do remember that being an issue with FM10, it used to bug the hell out of me, its much easier in FM11 to convince them to stay, i have around 3 players a season say they want to move on, but always talk them around, although none are because of the new challenge idea yet.

send him out on loan for a season. it happened to me with one of my regens. i sent to barcelona on loan and i won the league and champs league so he wanted to stay.

As i said though in my opening post he has 40 winners medals including 11 premier leagues and 6 champions leagues playing for me. My Oxford side have won the Premier Leauge 13 years in a row so it's not about me proving to him we are a good side. Just seems that on FM10 as milnerpoint said, most players 'want a new challenge' if they have been with you for a number of years. Must be counted as a bug and a very annoying one at that.

I can list at least 10-15 world class players this has happened with too on my Oxford save over that i have had to flog as they just wouldn't renew their contracts.

Here's just one of them:

I had a dutch international midfielder who i signed at the age of 17. He went on to be described as a 'world class midfielder' winning everything with Oxford and became established as one of Hollands best players. At the age of 28 with a year left on his contract he 'wanted a new challenge'. I had to sell him or risk losing him for nothing. Where did he go for this new challenge? Man U! Now bear in mind on my game Man U are not the force they once were. When he signed for them they had not won the league for 16 years or the Champions League for almost 20 years! He also signed a contract on much less wages than i had offered him to stay. He could at least have gone abroad as the chances of his new team beating us are zero.

This story is just typical of my Oxford FM10 save and the player i posted in the first post :(

There is very little you can do but hope he changes his mind, but the problem is, even if he does the likely hood of it happening the next season is high. I would prob start looking for a replacement now by that time there must be a regen of similar ability you could snap up, especially if your rep has risen that much. Best of luck!!

As i said though in my opening post he has 40 winners medals including 11 premier leagues and 6 champions leagues playing for me. My Oxford side have won the Premier Leauge 13 years in a row so it's not about me proving to him we are a good side. Just seems that on FM10 as milnerpoint said, most players 'want a new challenge' if they have been with you for a number of years. Must be counted as a bug and a very annoying one at that.

I can list at least 10-15 world class players this has happened with too on my Oxford save over that i have had to flog as they just wouldn't renew their contracts.

i was in the same boat, all be it i wasnt as successful at the time. but my player realised if he moved he wasnt going to win anything cos my Everton team was winning it all :)

what sort of stadium have you got dave? i am doing a game with bath so i hope i can emulate your success with oxford. but i am concerned i wont get a decent stadium :(

65, 000 all seater. Took till 2026 to get it though!

When it was first built i think it was 42,000 but had a series of very quick upgrades that i didn't even have to ask for. It's the second largest in the Prem behind Old Trafford.

There is very little you can do but hope he changes his mind, but the problem is, even if he does the likely hood of it happening the next season is high. I would prob start looking for a replacement now by that time there must be a regen of similar ability you could snap up, especially if your rep has risen that much. Best of luck!!

Yeah you are right. Luckily i already have many promising youngsters and established players in that postion (AMC) and i have to say i doubt we will even miss him.

It's just the nostalgia thing really.

I was just wondering, has there ever been an attacking midfielder irl at the elite level, who can tackle and mark like a world class defender?

Ah, 'tis heartening to see the newgens' getting ever more eerily accurate imo.

I'm thinking he could do with brushing up on passing and shooting, but what the hey, he can mark like a beast!

Yeah HarryMills, he is one heck of a player. He actually started out as a central midfielder but i retrained him to an attacking midfielder 4 seasons ago as in matches he seemed more comfortable in that role.

Can anyone tell me, if i was in this situation but on FM11, what tools would i have to try and get him to stay via the private chat option?

Yeah HarryMills, he is one heck of a player. He actually started out as a central midfielder but i retrained him to an attacking midfielder 4 seasons ago as in matching he seemed more comfortable in that role.

Can anyone tell me, if i was in this situation but on FM11, what tools would i have to try and get him to stay via the private chat option?

He would come to you and ask for a private chat, you will have a few different options for convincing him its better to stay, either through pleading or demanding, they seem to be more responsive in FM11 to this than they were in FM10.

I usually jsut say that im looking to progress the club and they are integral to my plans, they usually buy it and stay for at least 2 more seasons. The unfortunate thing is when other clubs come in for them, currently barca are tapping up 5 of my players, and its damn frustrating, lost Neymar in january (albeit for 52 million) but thats not the point.

Yeah HarryMills, he is one heck of a player. He actually started out as a central midfielder but i retrained him to an attacking midfielder 4 seasons ago as in matches he seemed more comfortable in that role.

Praise him? Then try to convince him to stay by saying that there are still things to do in your club.

When it comes to FM2010, I have never lost a player that wanted to leave for any reason.

Just allow him to leave when the first conversation pops up, so that he is tranfer listed by request. After a few weeks he changes his mind. Always worked for me!

When it comes to FM2010, I have never lost a player that wanted to leave for any reason.

You must have been very lucky then as the general feeling is that area of FM10 was bugged. What team were you? How many seasons did you play?

I transfer list and sell at the end of the season during which they've asked to leave - as long as I'm unable to change their minds via chat (FM11 has its advantages over FM10)

You must have been very lucky then as the general feeling is that area of FM10 was bugged. What team were you? How many seasons did you play?

nine seasons with Southampton. Won the leagues the three first seasons, then a 6th place in the PL, then only PL victories the remaining 5 seasons.

It was bugged yes. I just allowed them to leave (to a bigger club, new challenge etc), placed them on the transfer list on request... after a few weeks they wanted to stay anyways and requested to be taken off the transfer list.

Archived