Your biggest mistake as manager

I've done stuff like that before. Sold, as a 17 YO, the player who would become my future England Captain, and the player I'd also sign for a future club of mine to great success, for 250k to Blackburn.

To be fair though, I already had 3 world class strikers, and a couple of more promising(or so they seemed) youngsters, so I feel justified.

You're a disgusting man :thdn:

Hey, he was 18, they can do what they want.

Anyhow, either selling a 25 year old youth product who went on to help Reading be the first team to catch my record breaking Derby side in FM08, or...

...well, the second is a long story. It was a warm summers evening in Ancient Greece... Wait, that's not how it starts.

No, there was a young Tunisian Player by the name of Saber Tej, who's name evolved from Saber to Light Saber to just Jedi. Anyhow, Jedi was at a club in Tunisia and my Brisbane side needed a good young striker. He seemed good enough and so I put in a bit for him. It was accepted, the contract was accepted and as he was about to sign I decided that I wanted to sign a young midfielder as well. So I cancelled the transfer and instead took him on a two year loan. In January the year he was to go back to his own club, I tried to sign him for the $700k fee I'd agree with the club, but he wanted too much money. He was to originally sign for $900 per week, but he now wanted upward of $20k per week and as Brisbane have a salary cap of $47.11k this was unlikely to be a good idea. I got him for another year's loan in the end, but in the end I had to say goodbye to a club icon who scored around 1.6 goals per game. I'm sure if I signed him on a permanent deal originally I could have kept him, at least for a bit longer, or gotten some of that transfer money, he went to Valencia for $21 million a month after leaving my club! What's worse is that the player that I signed that made me cancel that transfer turned out to not be very good, broke his leg... twice, got offended by me fining him for a 3 red card in 15 games and eventually left on a free transfer... Jedi is now one of the best strikers in Europe...

I nearly sold one of my youth products who had been at the club between 15-21(which is needed for registering champs league)

Just out of interest. If I had sold him and was left with only 3 players trained at club(which is what id be left with) what would happen? How would I register my cl squad?

I didnt think it would let you seeing as you havent met the requirements. Would you need to fill that space to be able to play a game?

Never came across it before.

Anyway, going completely off your topic....

Ill shut up now... ;)

i had a young regen come through i thought was never going to be good enough so i let him go and he signed for Berwick two divisions below, a promotion, two player of the year awards, a move to rangers and a call up to the scotland squad made me think i was a bit wrong.

In my current game, being nice to a player. I went renewing his contract with 12 months left, the agent wanted c. £25k a week for him, so fine by me, at the last second I realised the squad rating was "backup" so I said I'll be a nice guy (the player was in fact a starter) and bump his contract to rotation. I did so and offered, the agent came back with triple the salary and wouldn't back down. The player got huffy about it too, and I had to sell him for his value (£2.4m) when he would have been worth about £6m if I sold him after the contract.

Otherwise in last years game I did the outfielder in goals for an away CL semi, strangely enough though the score was 1-1 at half time when I realised (I really wasn't paying attention to names when looking at the stats).

refusing to sign a 17 yo striker for £2m , 3-4 years later he knocked me out of the ECC and then i finally bought him for £30 m after madrid got some new strikers ( even though he is 24 which seems odd and he then won the top scorer in all the leagues of europe sry couldnt remeber the name of the trophy :p the following season for me )

Archived