Probably needs a little tweak...

It's the start of the 2013/14 season. The Manchester United board directors enter the room feeling a mixture of elation and dejections - elation due to the Red Devils coming into the new season off the back of a league title and Champions League win, but dejection in that Sir Alex Ferguson, long serving manager at Old Trafford, has called it a day and retired.

Against all odds, the Glazers are still in charge and have gained the fans trust after notable big-name signings, such as Wesley Sneijder, Eden Hazard and co.

So, here we are. The directors are meeting to discuss the next managerial appointment to take United into the future.

-------

David Gill: Gentleman, let me first say, what a fantastic season.

*Round of applause*

David Gill: I'd like to thank Sir Alex Ferguson for all he's done here. He is an impossible act to follow!

*Scattered laughter*

David Gill: But with that said, down to business. I know Sir Alex has had a few ideas about who to bring in. He feels David Mo-

Malcolm Glazer: I don't do gingers, sorry.

David Gill: Sorry?

Malcolm Glazer I'm not hiring a ginger. They creep me out.

David Gill: But... well, I don't... understand? You have red hair yourself.

Malcolm Glazer: Looking like John McCririck negates it though.

David Gill: Ah. OK, well, what about Jose Mourin-

Malcolm Glazer: Crap fashion sense.

David Gill: *Sigh* Right OK. We'll go left field then; Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has done well at West Brom-

Malcolm Glazer: Yeah, but he still looks twelve. I'll cut to the chase. I have decided our next manager.

*Audible muttering*

Malcolm Glazer: He is an established international footballer, Premier League pedigree, extensive football experience around the globe. The man to take us forward... the one, the only....

*All hold their breath*

Wait for it....

bennimcmanyu.jpg

THAT'S RIGHT! The man to replace SAF is a man who has never played for Manchester United, never managed a football club, has spent one season as a youth coach and is on a £1'100 per week contract :D

You heard it here first - if you get down to the bookies and put a wad on it now, you'll get great odds ;)

In all seriousness though, probably needs a bit of sorting out for 11.3!

Yeah I agree with the OP - this is an area of the game that needs to be improved - I not saying BUG BUG BUG. But a lot of managers get jobs too high for their rep/ability/experience.

Also happens with managers moving unrealistically - eg in my game Mancini to Arsenal. Not saying that would definitely not happen IRL but unlikely. It happened without me even noticing (perhaps here what I am saying is that there should be more fanfare about big manager moves and retirements - didn't even know Wenger had left (he went to Real Madrid)).

P.S. Although maybe the debt is still there and the Glazers just want someone cheap - £1k a week?!?

Yeah I have seen some strange managerial switches too that well I wouldn't expect in reality.

I saw Wenger leave Arsenal after they won the league in the first season and go to Bayern Munich. I just could not see him doing that after a season and as Lloydey1 said there is no real fanfare about it.

These are the managers of some of the Premier League teams after 2 and a bit seasons:

Arsenal - Javier Aguirre

Aston Villa - Chris Hughton

Birmingham - Andy Watson

Blackburn - Mark Hughes

Blackpool - Phil Brown

Chelsea - Roberto Di Matteo

Everton - Alan Shearer

Fulham - Mick McCarthy

Liverpool - Roberto Mancini

Man City - Louis van Gaal

Newcastle - Brian Laws

Sheff Utd - Neil MacDonald

Tottenham - Sam Allardyce

WBA - Maik Taylor

West Ham - Zelijko Petrovic

Wigan - Graeme Jones

Wolves - Gary Speed

The other 3 teams are Man United, Nottm Forest and Sunderland. I am the manager of Man United and other 2 still have the Billy Davies and Steve Bruce.

In general it hasn't been too bad I suppose for me anyway but I haven't had like Benni McCarthy. :p

Well constructed opening post by the way. :D

I really do think it's the 1,100 quid a week that swung it for the Glaziers.

If thats all they care about I would do it for less!

Ive got gary nevile as manager of newcastle

Arsene Wenger as manager of Man city (I displaced him at arsenal)

Alan curbishly at liverpool

Comparable list from 2015-16

Arsenal - Martin O'Neill

Aston Villa - Kim Nam-Il (Apparently currently appears for Tom Tomsk, promoted after a year as Youth Coach at Villa)

Birmingham City - Terry Burton

Blackburn Rovers - Robert Pires (A year as Youth Coach at Everton, 18 months as Coach at Arsenal...)

Chelsea - David Moyes

Derby County - Paul Jewell

Everton - Gordon Strachan

Fulham - Vicente (after 1 year as a Youth Coach there...)

Hull City - Nigel Pearson

Leeds United - Alan Pardew

Leicester City - Steve Beaglehole

Liverpool - Alex McLeish

Man City - Javier Aguirre

Man Utd - Carlo Ancelotti

Newcastle United - Steve Kean

Stoke City - Michael Owen (A year as a Coach at West Ham, then managed them for 6 months and was sacked...)

Sunderland - Mark Hughes

Tottenham Hotspur - Alan Shearer

West Ham United - Mick McCarthy

Wolverhampton Wanderers - Mervyn Day

From that, I'd say the specific issue is ex-players hired as youth coaches being too likely to get promoted internally...

Roman Abramovich is determined to bring free-flowing, exciting attacking football to Stamford Bridge.

With that in mind...

allarchelsko.jpg

My save has lost the plot. The Benni McCarthy one just takes the biscuit though.

He is the Chelsea manager in my save as well - great post though and this has made a miserable Liverpool fan a little happier.

Follow up on this - Benni McCarthy is on the verge of the sack after only 13 league games. He's already lost five, which is more than United lost in the entire previous season, and is in danger of not qualifying from the group stages of the Champions League.

Happy days!

Fifth season in Spain, in the spring, here are the list of managers: Lots of ex players in there after a small amount of time as youth coach. Ain't checked the PL but will post them for a laugh, may even surprise myself.

Almeria - Juan Manuel Lillo

Atletico - Caminero

Athletic - Muniz

Barcelona - Myself

Cordoba - Luis Cesar

Espanyol - Mauricio Pochettino

Getafe - Manolo Jiminez

Levante - Pepe Murcia

Malaga - Javier Clemente

Mallorca - Gregorio Manzano

Osasuna - Carmelo Oliva

Real Madrid - Jose Mourinho

Real Sociedad - Benni McCarthy

Racing Santander - Roberto Martinez

Sevilla - Joaquin Caparros

Tenerife - Juan Carlos Mandia

Valencia - Andrei Stepanov

Vallodolid - Antonio Gomez

Villareal - Victor Munoz

Xerez - Marcelino

Arsenal - Michael Laudrup

Aston Villa - Torsten Frings

Birmingham - Dave Jones

Blackpool - Edgar Davids

Bristol City - Alan Curbishley

Chelsea - Alex McLeish :D

Everton - Keith Millen

Fulham - Mark Bowen

Hull - Nigel Pearson

Ipswich - Kevin Blackwell

Liverpool - John Toshack :D

Man City - Rafa Benitez

Man Utd - Carlo Ancelotti

Peterborough - Steve Beaglehole

Sunderland - Danny Wilson

Tottenham - Javier Aguirre

West Brom - Gary Speed

West Ham - Alan Shearer

Wigan - Steve Bruce

Wolves - Terry Connor

Few selected other teams:

AC Milan - Pepe Guardiola

Inter - Guiseppe Baresi

Roma - Christian Gross

Juventus - Davide Ballardini

Benfica - David Moyes

Bayern Munich - Roberto Mancini

England - Steve McClaren :D

Does anyone have proof that a good A.I. manager actually makes a difference to an A.I. team?

What do A.I. managers, good or bad, actually do to an A.I. team besides using a predetermined set of tactics?

How are their stats applied? What differences do they bring to the transfer policy? Training? Rotation? Playing mentality?

Has anyone actually seen examples that correlate with a manager's stats?

managers2.jpg

That's the managers of all the English teams in my save, nothing too weird I don't think it's 2017. The Chelsea manager was a coach at Aston Villa at the start and then got the managers job at Villa then moved to Chelsea.

Benni becoming Man United manager is easily the funniest appointment I have seen on any FM, great stuff let us know how he gets on.

Archived