Opposition Instructions discussion

I am starting a thread on opposition instructions as I have not seen a comprehensive thread on that. IMO, this can be one of the decisive things in determining the outcome of the match besides your own tactic.

Usually after I give the pre-game teamtalk, I would check on the opposition instruction screen to see if I position my central defenders correctly. If my opponent is using the big-small combination, I shall adjust which of my two DCs to be on which side.

In my situation, both my DCs (I'm using a four man defence) are not the fastest players on the pitch (pace: 9 and 11) but they have decent (ie. is or more than 14) marking & tackling stats. Here is a few scenarios that I have run into in my games:

• DC marking a big targetman in a 2 man attack: always close down in hope that he would win most of the battles and contain the targetman from attacking my goal. If his preferred foot is right or left ONLY, then I'd show him onto the left or right respectively. Else, I will just leave it to my defenders on how to mark him.

• DC marking a pacey forward in a 2 man attack: never close down and always tight marking. This is what I'm not quite sure of. I'm afraid if I try to close down on him all the time, any mistackle would mean that my DC is going to be left behind by the sheer pace of the FC. With tight marking, I want the DC to nullify the effect of that fast forward without commiting himself too much. The higher the pace of the FC, the lower my closing down on my DC's individual setting is. Any other suggestions?

• DC marking a big targetman in a 1 striker formation: One DC (with the lower pace) will be set to always close down, the other has no specific instructions to pick up what's left.

• DC marking a pacey forward in a 1 striker formation: same as above as I have the numerical advantage and the extra man to cover should the closing down DC fail to clear or contain the man

• On AMC: Always close him down to prevent him from linking to his strikers.

• Opposition ML/R and AM L/R: Since I want to deprive opposition team of the supply from the wings, these players are given the instruction to always be closed down and shown onto the weaker foot (plus hard tackling depending on the match-up against my players). If the wingers are exceptional, I would tick tight marking on my DL's and/or DR's individual settings.

• Any injured field players and players below 85% (excluding strikers): Have always put the hard tackling on these players to either make their condition worse or take them to the hospital early icon_biggrin.gif

Using the instructions above, I am quite pleased with how my defence is performing. 32 games, 19 goals conceded and 19 clean sheets. The after match observation (brought forward by Cleon) has also been quite encouraging. My DCs are winning 80% and above of their headers and the low number of tackles they make (usually ranges from 2 to 5 each) was probably down to the dominance of the defence (as suggested by Cleon). The goals I'm conceding are mostly based on set plays (or the lack of marking on that) and not on counterattack or open field play. BTW I seldom use both tight marking & closing down on always unless my DCs have way better stats than the opposing strikers.

Most, if not all, of the teams that I have met are using either the 2 man or lone man attack. Have not met against a team with a 3 striker formation so I'm not sure how it would turn out. In the closing stages of any game which the opponents have gone 4-2-4 on me, I usually set 'always close down' on all 4 forwards. This is done only after I put 2 DMs in front of my 4-man defence. So far the result has been alright as I have not conceded an 89 or 90th min goal since one game in the beginning of the season. Have not tried anything on the opponent defence or goalies either, thus not sure how anything works on that side of the field.

Any opinion and suggestion is welcomed. Share what has worked wonders for your team and may be we can strive towards the perfect formula.

no problems. i hope you would try it with an average side like i do, and not with the chelseas and barcelonas of the football world. i was actually quite impressed that my aging, slow defence can cope pretty well with the league and not conceding much from open play/counter attack. set plays, well..., there's only so much i can instruct them to do.

would love to hear from you soon

• Any injured field players and players below 85% (excluding strikers): Have always put the hard tackling on these players to either make their condition worse or take them to the hospital early

Your sooo evil, good post, I was clueless on these instructions. I'll give them a whirl in the new season.

Originally posted by Cleon:

Excellent thread, I'll add it to the link at top of the page icon_smile.gif

Cleon, I was wondering, if it would be possible for on of the 'tactical experts' to make a thread to explain various stuff about the scout reports?

I think it would be quite useful for us to set up our tactics accordingly!

Any idea?

Oh yea..btw, I like this post; quite useful!

Cleon, I was wondering, if it would be possible for on of the 'tactical experts' to make a thread to explain various stuff about the scout reports?I think it would be quite useful for us to set up our tactics accordingly!

these are just a personal opinion of mine (disclaimer: might not even be correct!). usually if my scout tells me the team likes to play down the middle, i would set the tight marking on always for their central midfielders. if down the flank, i'll change the closing down of my right & left back to a notch or two under often on their individual settings (depending the quality of their wingers too).

about the opposition's tempo, i usually do not adjust mine according to theirs (might be a misunderstanding that i have). my idea is that my team should play how i want them to play. what i mean is if i want them to play a quick tempo football, it shouldn't matter whether the opposition will be playing slow or quick tempo. however, my decision on whether i should set my team on quick/slow depends on the situation (home or away) and the overal match-up of the team.

Your sooo evil, good post, I was clueless on these instructions. I'll give them a whirl in the new season.
exactly what i was looking for, i will try your settings in next match, i especially like the idea of hard tackling on injured/low condition players mwhahahahaha

icon_biggrin.gif i'm not a saint, i just want to win matches. not sure if it works all the time but it was a personal thought that i had (steve coppell in disguise?)

sometimes one player in the opposite team really seems to be out there just to injure my players too. i once had 3 players injured, 2 had to leave the game, solely by the great performance of the opposition's DR.

So far I've only messed around with hard tackling cowardly attackers as MV always mentions this tactic in his hints and tips guides over the years.

i've never set any hard tackling on attackers just to reduce the possibility of conceding a penalty. by the way, how are you doing with that instruction? i might try that out when i confirmed my promotion berth which should be coming pretty soon.

Originally posted by Mr Personality:

I am starting a thread on opposition instructions as I have not seen a comprehensive thread on that. IMO, this can be one of the decisive things in determining the outcome of the match besides your own tactic.

Usually after I give the pre-game teamtalk, I would check on the opposition instruction screen to see if I position my central defenders correctly. If my opponent is using the big-small combination, I shall adjust which of my two DCs to be on which side.

In my situation, both my DCs (I'm using a four man defence) are not the fastest players on the pitch (pace: 9 and 11) but they have decent (ie. is or more than 14) marking & tackling stats. Here is a few scenarios that I have run into in my games:

• DC marking a big targetman in a 2 man attack: always close down in hope that he would win most of the battles and contain the targetman from attacking my goal. If his preferred foot is right or left ONLY, then I'd show him onto the left or right respectively. Else, I will just leave it to my defenders on how to mark him.

• DC marking a pacey forward in a 2 man attack: never close down and always tight marking. This is what I'm not quite sure of. I'm afraid if I try to close down on him all the time, any mistackle would mean that my DC is going to be left behind by the sheer pace of the FC. With tight marking, I want the DC to nullify the effect of that fast forward without commiting himself too much. The higher the pace of the FC, the lower my closing down on my DC's individual setting is. Any other suggestions?

• DC marking a big targetman in a 1 striker formation: One DC (with the lower pace) will be set to always close down, the other has no specific instructions to pick up what's left.

• DC marking a pacey forward in a 1 striker formation: same as above as I have the numerical advantage and the extra man to cover should the closing down DC fail to clear or contain the man

• On AMC: Always close him down to prevent him from linking to his strikers.

• Opposition ML/R and AM L/R: Since I want to deprive opposition team of the supply from the wings, these players are given the instruction to always be closed down and shown onto the weaker foot (plus hard tackling depending on the match-up against my players). If the wingers are exceptional, I would tick tight marking on my DL's and/or DR's individual settings.

• Any injured field players and players below 85% (excluding strikers): Have always put the hard tackling on these players to either make their condition worse or take them to the hospital early icon_biggrin.gif

Using the instructions above, I am quite pleased with how my defence is performing. 32 games, 19 goals conceded and 19 clean sheets. The after match observation (brought forward by Cleon) has also been quite encouraging. My DCs are winning 80% and above of their headers and the low number of tackles they make (usually ranges from 2 to 5 each) was probably down to the dominance of the defence (as suggested by Cleon). The goals I'm conceding are mostly based on set plays (or the lack of marking on that) and not on counterattack or open field play. BTW I seldom use both tight marking & closing down on always unless my DCs have way better stats than the opposing strikers.

Most, if not all, of the teams that I have met are using either the 2 man or lone man attack. Have not met against a team with a 3 striker formation so I'm not sure how it would turn out. In the closing stages of any game which the opponents have gone 4-2-4 on me, I usually set 'always close down' on all 4 forwards. This is done only after I put 2 DMs in front of my 4-man defence. So far the result has been alright as I have not conceded an 89 or 90th min goal since one game in the beginning of the season. Have not tried anything on the opponent defence or goalies either, thus not sure how anything works on that side of the field.

Any opinion and suggestion is welcomed. Share what has worked wonders for your team and may be we can strive towards the perfect formula.

FB Post Mr Personality. I vote you get promoted to premium member or something. I knew there was a reason why my defenders were not using "common sense" or "playing to instructions." It's because I hadn't properly instructed them on what to do since I didn't know how to use the "Opponents Instructions." The easy-to-use guide you have provided here makes sense and is very logical once one watches its effect on matches.

icon14.gif

I have an issue with Opposition Instructions. I don't know if it's true or if it is just an idea, so I would like to hear if other people have had the same experience?

When I use OI (and I use them more or less as describeded by lanredo), it seems to harm my strikers ability to score goals. Using OI most goal, not just oppositions seems to come from set pieces. Has anyone else had that problem?

In general I don't have a problem getting goals from my strikers, but excessive use of OI seems to harm attacking play (pretty obviously - using OI you concentrate on stopping the opposition, instead of focussing on your own strengths).

Does anyone share this experience? Now I use OI mainly against strong oppositions, players that are really good and my scout warn me about, or if the opposition use a youngster.

I have come across a slight issue with using OI. I don't know if this is a bug or not but I have the sceenie to show you..

Opposition Instructions

as you will see the position of Cambiasso on the positional screen doesn't correspond to what is shown on the left...

I was playing against Milan, who had two strikers really good in the air, and I closed them both down and - hey presto! - they played rubbish.

Out of 14 headers attempted they won 1, and their ratings were 5 and 6. This season on average the striker with 18 jumping has won about 2/3 of his headers and the one with 16, 1/2. My 3 DCs have 16, 16 and 17.

since using this advice I have had a lot more success except for one anomolous result where I lost 6-3 at home to Middlesbrough. I have only lost 4 games in 15(including the above) and they have been to Man Utd, Chelsea and Red Star(I had my two DC sent off) aside from the middlesbrough result the defeats have been 2-1 against Chelsea(both goals from parried saves) 2-0 against Man Utd(1 penalty and one Parried save) and 1-0 against Red Star(just cause I had lost my two DC and had to play Freddy Adu in DC)

my goal scoring is phenomanal as I generally score 3-4 a game.

I am using hard tackling also on injured/tired strikers, and I have had no problems with it, so I believe it is pretty safe option.

I am experimenting with hard tackling on following opponent players:

- players with yellow cards - to wind them up to go for second yellow icon_biggrin.gif

- highly aggressive players - to wind them up to commit professional foul

- players with low natural fitness - to send them to hospital

- players with low bravery - to scare them icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Originally posted by XJG:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Personality:

I am using hard tackling also on injured/tired strikers, and I have had no problems with it, so I believe it is pretty safe option.

- players with yellow cards - to wind them up to go for second yellow icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you may be better off to always tackle hard.

• Any injured field players and players below 85% (excluding strikers): Have always put the hard tackling on these players to either make their condition worse or take them to the hospital early Big Grin

With regards to this is this just purely for prematch OI or can it be used at half time?

If so do you use a different level of condition to determine wether or not to use hard tackling?

many thanks

Originally posted by XJG:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Personality:

Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

XJG makes the excellent point of low bravery - some of the top playmakers/strikers in the prem have low Bravery. You can routinely get these guys down to ratings of 5 as they never challenge for the ball after 10 minutes.

With regards to this is this just purely for prematch OI or can it be used at half time?If so do you use a different level of condition to determine wether or not to use hard tackling?

the instruction can be given at any time during the game. sometimes players get injured early on eg. 15th mins and then i'll click on my instructions. usually the injured players have a cross beside their name or a significantly lower stamina compared to the rest of his teammates.

Interesting thread. icon14.gif

I'm particularly keen to try out the hard tackling of pansies and the infirm.

As default my team mark tightly, and defenders close down very little.

I take a different approach. Rather than focus upon the strikers I go for their supply.

If the opposition has a big man up front then I will show wingers and full backs who can cross onto their weaker foot.

If the opposition like to play to feet I close down the midfielders who have over 15/16 creativity (being mindful of flair and technique), and trying to close down only one.

I will show a striker onto weaker foot if they are an 'only' (this has worked wonders against Micheal Owen), if they have a level of finishing & composure.

I am interested to know if anyone has targeted defenders or GKs who are less skilled when on the ball. Have you been able to force errors?

QUOTE]

XJG makes the excellent point of low bravery - some of the top playmakers/strikers in the prem have low Bravery. You can routinely get these guys down to ratings of 5 as they never challenge for the ball after 10 minutes.

If ur right, this strikes me as an unrealistic part of the game. I mean, surely in real life it cant be done that "easily" ?!

Excellent thread, thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

Personally i like to play a compact game, with no wingers and 3 men up front, so i don't close down the wingers cause otherwise my fullbacks come up too high and leave too much space behind their back.

What i do instead is closing down the center midfielders (especially playmakers) because i usually have more people in the center of the field than the opposition has.

Like others here suggested, i too tackle hard on players with low bravery, just to impress them icon_smile.gif I haven't noticed any side-effects so far, last year i even won the Fair Play price icon_smile.gif

I also look for one-footed players and put (all off) them on "force to weaker foot" (i don't know the exact english term as it is used in the game as i play in dutch, but i guess you know what i mean icon_smile.gif)

What i do to GK's is the following:

tackling:light

closing down:always

weaker foot:yes, if he's one footed

I have scored several goals from GK's mistakes so far, but ofcourse maybe they would have happened without those instructions too. I just like to believe i forced them to error icon_smile.gif

...sorry for my poor english

Can't edit, but just wanted to add, that it has been working great for me so far... Scoring an average of 3.3 goals per game and conceding 0.4 icon_biggrin.gif

Before i started giving these instructions i was struggling.

Also, i don't tackle hard on strikers (and keepers), as you suggested and as i said i hardly get any send-offs while the opposition get's plenty.

I still don't get the show onto foot option, for eg, if the opposition is right footed, the instruction is definitely show onto left foot but there's another option 'show onto weaker foot', whats that?

Maybe we got it all wrong, maybe it should be 'show onto weaker foot' of the opposition?

I like to play a very attacking possesion based game my def line is high on the pitch.

I am using OI to get the ball back as fast as possible most teams i play against use 4 defenders the one that has the worst passing gets set to show onto weaker foot and C.D always the rest of the defenders are set on Tight marking and C.D always works wonders (i play with a FL FC FR forward line up so their is always some on in position to mark one of the defenders.) possesion goes up alot.

You need the ball to score goals to quote a famous dutch coach icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had a thought (please dont run away!) i never use opposition instructions unless i think the player on the other team is really good so like if my team comes up against lampard i would close him down at all cost, thats just 1 example, as far as i see these instructions, you should only use them if your playing a team that has much better players then yours and you are really concerned by what they might do against you, the reason i think this is becuase the instructions are conflicting our already set out team/player instructions for marking & closing down & tackling. Why would you select tight marking (no), and then in opposition instructions set tight marking to wingers & forwards & possibly an amc, to me this is conflicting your teams instructions, and should only be used to make/close down/hard tackle, key players for the other team. The only thing that i think is diffrent from the other choices is show onto weaker foot, it seems like this would do no halm at all if used in the right way.

Another reason i am thinking like this, in 06 when we played big game we had a media message before the match talking about a key player for the other team, it give us a list of options, would we be marking him? would we not worrie about him and give them somthing to think about?, this to me is what has develpoed in 07 as oppersition instructions.

I could be right i could be wrong i am not 100% but so far i never use opposition instructions unless on a player i worried about, this could be because 90% of the time im playing as a good team, so the need for these are less, but i thought i would bring it up just incase i am onto somthing.

icon_biggrin.gif

You should try them.

I use them no matter what team I am and have found it works wonders it doesnt seem to affect the team instructions either it just sets out how to play a man if he has the ball.

I mean in the barcelona team there is more than just ronaldinho you dont want on the ball icon_smile.gif

I find this very useful to tune my tactic.

The problem is the tackling command. It was reported in the beta that the game is mixed up.

If you click on a player and have the column on the squad show each players tackling command.

Which is correct is mixed correctly assumed to be easy tackling. As I would thoughr it to be normal.

If its wrong here is it wrong in the main tactic. Hence why people get lots of red cards in the game.

Onto this system.

Adding onto this nice little discusion.

I find tight marking and closing down any midfield and attacking player can easily stiffle a better oppononent or close a match out.

I think I only ever conceeded 1 goal in the last 10 mins and that was down to the 5 minute wait to get to tactics.

During the main action though

I tend to like to use a tight marking on central midfield and hard tackling. It does concede freekicks at times but generally it unsettles the oponents to concede the midfield I like to win the midfield battle. As its key to success or failure to a match.

As for forwards I use closing down as they just try to move my defence out of position otherwise.

I do have a formation the AI uses which gives me grief.

4-1-2-2-1

He has 2 very wide AML/R's men who are pushed up to play a very stretched 3 up top when attacking.

Wingers seam very effective tool to unsettle your backline. Coupled this with a lone striker its a deadly AI weapon.

Originally posted by awhec:

I still don't get the show onto foot option, for eg, if the opposition is right footed, the instruction is definitely show onto left foot but there's another option 'show onto weaker foot', whats that?

Maybe we got it all wrong, maybe it should be 'show onto weaker foot' of the opposition?

It's not just about showing to the weaker foot of the opponent. You can(theoretically) also use it to push players infield or wide out.

seems they do work as you said after all, my defence is playing much better.

i do this

sc:close down always

sc:close down always

mr:close down always

ml:close down always

mc:tight marking

mc:tight marking

amc:tight marking

dmc:tight marking

and if i play chelsea

dr:close down always

dl:close down always

works a treat icon_biggrin.gif

Taking advantage of oppo instructions really helped out my defense...BUT...

does the AI take revenge???

I've had a whole ton of players getting injured and having to be stretchered off. Aguero scored 2 goals and promptly got hacked. Owen came on for him and lasted less than a minute.

In another match Crouch had to go off right after he scored.

I think ifyou use common opposition instructions in every game for all attacking players will mean that AI will crack what you are doing, and before you know you will be on a losing streak. What I do is try to see if any of the players have exceptional ability, jumping/heading/finishing for strikers, pace/crossing/dribbling for wingers, long shots/creativity/passing for midfielders, and apply instructions likewise. In many matches against weaker teams i don't use any opposition ionstruction and do just fine.

Bottom line is, if a player has stats that will play 1 killer pass in a game, why bother? let him play the killer pass and score 1 goal, concentrate on your game instead.

• 2 weeks later...

• DC marking a big targetman in a 2 man attack: always close down in hope that he would win most of the battles and contain the targetman from attacking my goal.

This option can be double edged sword.

Closing down big target man can work nicely if oposition is playing direct football and using option 'supply TM to head'.

I had a situation when I set my team to close down big TM who was also quick and tehnical, but oposition decided to play slow positional football keeping ball on the ground. As soon as this TM received the ball, my CD rushed forward leaving gap in defence line, and TM passed the thruball to other forward running into this space.

The conclusion - if you intend closing down oponent's forwards, check what style of football opposing team is playing.

Guest daniel_cassian

I have a big problem with OI. There was here only one guy who had the same concern..Beevster.

I read and read... and overread this topik... but i still don't understand what OI does. Why is that!?

1. Let's imagine you have a match against one attacker team...so i go and select tight marking and closind down on him (even tackling hard)... on the attacker... my question is: WHO THE F0*** is doing the closing down and the marcking!???? my entire line of defenece... my whole team, whenever they got the chance!??/ WHO?... then... whatever is your answer... i come up with the following... if i want a particular player in my team (DC preferablY) to do all that... woulnd't be better/safer to joc go on MY tactic screen and tell MY player to mark&close down... that particular striker!?????

So in my opinion ANY change in OI interffers with the personal tweaks you made in tactic screen...

2. I play 5 3 2 (3 DC's + 2 wingers WBL and WBR)).... when i go to OI screen.. what ever my tactic is or AI's tactic... there on that screen next to AI's player names....to the left.. there is 4 4 2 mode ... i mean it's always GK DC DC DC ML MC MC MR FC FC..... so... when i select AI's players in the right screen upwards... in a parantesis next to AI's names... it says my team placement... ex: I select his DR ... at the right screen it will show up DC.. I select then his DC... it will show up DC his second DC.. again DC ... so...so far it showed up my 3 DC... THEN when I select his DL.. to me it will say WBR and when i get his first MC it will say WBL....so WTF is UP with that... does that mean ... when i want one of his MC not to even tocuh ball... then my WBL will be the one he marks him!???

IF so then consider that... when you select one of his FC.. in the right screen will also say FC ... (this time your FC)... then if i select tight marking... that would mean that MY FC will mark his FC... that is STUPID!!!!

So pls someone pls expalin it to me so I cand understand:

- if I select his FC.. and then ask for hard tackling... who will actualy do that tackling;

- if the answer is overall your whole team will do that.. when ever they got the chance.. then what happens with Player INstrcutions in the tactic screen;

-why isn't on the OI screen on the most left side.. why isn't it there either AI's placement in the field, either MY placement.. why is it always 4 4 2!???

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

if I had a defender (X) set closing down rarely, tackling easy, and tight marking YES, in his individual instructions... now, his opposite number is a striker who i set different instructions too in "opposition instructions"- namely, closing down OFTEN, tackling HARD, tight marking NEVER... what happens then?

perhaps the rest of team will follow this OI, not my defender X ? or will the OI override his player instructions?

what if i set OI for every single opposition outfield player and these conflict with my players individual instructions?

how does this work? please reply someone! im am very much a theorist and want to know how this OI has been coded compared the plyaer/team instruction..

Lord Vader

Archived