FMM and Genie Scout.....Cheating or not??

Guest arrogantio

of course it's cheating, unless you're using it to test game mechanics or purely for reporting stats to post on the forum.

It's your game icon_smile.gif play it however you want. It doesn't really matter if it's cheating or not if you're having fun.

Which one you use depends on what you want to do. If you want to find good players then go for Genie, if you want to change a club's finances and so on the go for the modifier. The Editors hideaway probably has more info on them

FMM yes

Genie scout hmmm if used only to look at a specific player you have found then I think it is perfectly okay, but if you just want to find all the newgens with the best PA then yes its cheating.

its your game, play it the way you want to play it... if you feel using those tools gives you a better fm experience, then go for it. but, i will say, having used genie scout many times in the past, i would rather take a chance on my own judgement, and that of my scouts, than use the "external" tool as, at the end of the day, it makes it more realistic.... but, each to their own...

Originally posted by FMFanatic8080:

i cheat *hohoho*

i use mini scout to find all the bargains and awesome regens, the computer knows where the bargains are why shouldnt i? ;-p

The managers in the game are designed to get the decisions wrong sometimes, so Grimsby's manager in the game would not perhaps know if he had the next Pele in his squad. He'd have some idea though. At the same time, he might think he has the next pele and doesn't.

The game is designed to make the manager of Chelsea know better about the PA of his players.

To do it without cheating, try employing some good scouts, or go on in-game experience, as there are ways to tell if someone will progress much or not.

pelican im confused... and scared.....

and jimmy, the comp does know the pa of players, theats all they base their signings on. I had once had barcelona buy a portuguese regen laying the a regional league, his ca was like 56 and he had a pa of 195! he was 20 so there was no way he was going to reach that anyway.

Genie Scout...have a look at it this way...

...if you use it to find all the young players with the highest PA and sign them...it will be the same as if a club IRL (in real life) bought Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka when they were 15-17 and knew that they would be worth a guaranteed £50+ million. Signing players using Genie scout is aiding to your benefit and not giving any other teams in the game to have the top players, or benefiting from it financially is cheating. Either way no such tool is available IRL, this may be a game and anything is possible but on the terms of realism which exists in FM2008 its CHEATING.

Originally posted by Ghostgreen:

Hi,

I have heard about the above pplications but never looked into them until recently.

Is it cheating using one of these apps? Also which one do you reccomend...??

Strictly speaking, it IS cheating cos you are not using the scouts in your team to judge the player's potential. If you are a TRUE FM Manager, you would not use these tools. Moreover, you would not EVEN go looking for tips on the net to play FM. This is ultimately the true FM Manager in my opinion!

Of course, personally I am NOT anywhere close to being a true Manager!!

Using FMM you actually do not need to find anyone with high PA or CA , just edit their positions .

For example if you play someone in the ST position go edit his position rating from 20 to 90 .

Then you can go and buy players with CA 5 PA 10 sell everyone else and win all games with scores like 15-0 .

There is no cheating in single player , you just play the game the way you like it.

I cheat to get round the poor regen issue.

Saving the game on 19 June and then reloading until my assistant manager reports an 'exciting' addition to the youth intake.

Good way to 'breed' an internationally challenging England squad.

Cheating??? Not necerasilly!

E.G. you cannot see by any mean (playing the game without FMM) players potential... and don't tell me about scouts, they suck!!! i've edited one of my scouts with huge skills and he's still an idiot sometimes...

So, if you play with Milan, for example, and you are not aware about how good a player is, how can you stand up in front of another team, Juventus, for example, controled by the AI (wich will take some of the best players in the game for Juve - cause AI knows those potentials and it's "natural" for it to put the best players to the best clubs).

Not using FMM or Genie for scouting is a huge handicap for you. Play the game for 25 years, without this 2 programs, with a team like Milan, and you'll see how you'll fight with Ascoli for the 10 th place in Serie A, in 2032. This if you are not a lucky bastard and buy a lot of wonderful players just by luck!icon_wink.gif

Sure its cheating, but its your game so who cares. Its not gonna be alot of fun if you play that way IMO. I only use it when i look at some of my old saves, just to see what kind of team i had.

FMM can also be used as a workaround for some of the bugs. For example you lower the players reputation so that you can actually sell him, or you can fix your chairmans stats so that the feeder functionality stars working and so on. Just dont look at CA and PA of players icon_smile.gif. You know you will want to sell all of your crappy players.

You can't cheat in a single player game. If you bought the thing you're entitled to play it the way you want to. If you want to sign all potential superstars and edit your team to have unlimited funds then you're free to do so. Hate it when people go all moralistic about it as if they're the ones being cheated. Cheating is when you're using the tools in a multiplayer game without your opponent knowing.

Personally, I've only used FMM to stop my chairman selling players for half their worth (players with a 50% sell on fee going for their value being 'too good to turn down') and in 07 I added Bulgaria and Romania to the EU list so that I woldn't need work permits for the players from these countries. In 08 I've only used it once after I accidentally clicked 'accept offer' for one of my most important players. I don't use the scout thing because I like it when I don't know exactly how good my players will become. Also the ingame scouts are good enough when judging ability so it's not really needed.

Both are cheating. Genie though basically balances the transfer system with the AI, in the you can find out who is the best in their position and their for sale price. The fact that we have to use it reflects very poorly on the scouting and transfer systems i place on FM, which in the transfer case has sadly not changed for years. Doubt it will improve next edition either.

Personally I dont see the use of Genie against AI only games as a problem. However, games against human players then, yes you have an unfair advantage so is cheatin.

FMM cheating pure and simple. God love it!

Originally posted by hersch:

Cheating??? Not necerasilly!

E.G. you cannot see by any mean (playing the game without FMM) players potential... and don't tell me about scouts, they suck!!! i've edited one of my scouts with huge skills and he's still an idiot sometimes...

You can't in real life either. And the AI has to filter those players through scouts and that manager's judgment as well.

FMM is ok if used to fix mistakes in the game. Other than that, it is cheating.

Genie Scout and similar tools are all cheating.

Of course you can cheat in a single player game, whether it's Quake, FM or Sonic the Hedgehog.

It's up to the user though to do what he wants, I don't because I don't really see the point (because then I'm technically not playing the game).

Archived