Strangest place you have ever seen a major competition hosted?

Depending on how far into the future it is, Indonesia's not a bad choice. The country is football mad and the economy is burgeoning, and it has a ton of decent, large-capacity stadia all over the country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Indonesia

The Bung Karno Stadium is probably the best stadium in the region too.

Indonesia also were in the running for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup bid but withdrew. If their economy continues to develop at the rate it is doing, then they could well be ready for the World Cup by 2026.

Depending on how far into the future it is, Indonesia's not a bad choice. The country is football mad and the economy is burgeoning, and it has a ton of decent, large-capacity stadia all over the country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Indonesia

The Bung Karno Stadium is probably the best stadium in the region too.

Indonesia also were in the running for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup bid but withdrew. If their economy continues to develop at the rate it is doing, then they could well be ready for the World Cup by 2026.

Most of you've said are right, we have a giant national stadium for 100,000 people, and at least three other 50,000< stadia with modern facilities, and many other with capacity most European nations can only envy. We also one of the hosts in the last Asian Cup, and the most succesful too. But currently the FA is a bunch of madmen that no football fans like and the government's support is almost nonexistant, the world cup bid is withdrawn because of these two things.

So, as long as the climate hasn't been dramatically revolutionized, Indonesia is still an unlikely place for World Cup...

Hong Kong (population 7 million-ish and whose sole decent sized stadium has a capacity of 40,000) hosting the World Cup.

But that's the only decent enough stadium they got! I couldn't see Hong Kong hosting the Asia Cup, let alone the World Cup. On topic of the Asian Cup, this is one of the stadiums in Qatar (the hosts); not being used for the tournament however.

I could see the World Cup being hosted in Turkey though.

But that's the only decent enough stadium they got! I couldn't see Hong Kong hosting the Asia Cup, let alone the World Cup. On topic of the Asian Cup, this is one of the stadiums in Qatar (the hosts); not being used for the tournament however.

I could see the World Cup being hosted in Turkey though.

Nearly all the domestic teams in HK play in the same stadium, so the chances of them hosting the event is slim, unless they're in a joint bid with China for the Asian Cup and they use their stadium for a couple games.

Most of you've said are right, we have a giant national stadium for 100,000 people, and at least three other 50,000< stadia with modern facilities, and many other with capacity most European nations can only envy. We also one of the hosts in the last Asian Cup, and the most succesful too. But currently the FA is a bunch of madmen that no football fans like and the government's support is almost nonexistant, the world cup bid is withdrawn because of these two things.

So, as long as the climate hasn't been dramatically revolutionized, Indonesia is still an unlikely place for World Cup...

The political climate should be a lot better in 10-20 years though. SBY has done well to restore stability and economic growth and Indonesia has a lot to look forward to - a World Cup would be brilliant for them in the medium-term future.

Unlike my adopted nation Malaysia... :(:(:(

Indonesia's Asian Cup preparations were really good too, really enjoyed seeing the final at the Bung Karno Stadium. Is that 100,000 capacity all-seater, by the way? I thought it was around 87,000 seated but the rest were standing.

The strangest i've had are China hosting the World cup, and Scotland hosting the Euros, neither of which are really surprising. Although South Africa did host the World cup again in 2034, but again, it's not that unlikely.

Shouldn't there be a rule saying you have to qualify for at least one world cup in, say the last 20 years, before you can apply to host one

I simply don't agree with crap teams taking up World Cup places, as they happen to be hosts

Indonesia? Qatar? Seriously?

Shouldn't there be a rule saying you have to qualify for at least one world cup in, say the last 20 years, before you can apply to host one

I simply don't agree with crap teams taking up World Cup places, as they happen to be hosts

Indonesia have been in one world cup, but that was a Dutch East Indies in 1938

I think even a decade can make a huge difference! Chile wasn't in the top 70 in the world around 2004 or something, but look at where they are now.

Financially and economically Indonesia and Qatar are looking quite good for 2 decades ahead (some report said that Indonesia was one of the economies to watch out for), and this in turn funds investment in sport and could produce some more footballing talent as a result.

I've had Nigeria host the WC with some pretty bog standard stadia in 2034, and Cyprus for the euros in 2028.

This side of the game really needs a major overhaul, SI should really implement some of the basic rules set by FIFA for hosting international tournaments it shouldn't be that hard to code should it? It would be great if stadia across the country get upgraded to standard to be able to host the cup instead of seeing random venues no one has ever heard of hosting major games, and finals being held at a stadium with about 30,000 seats.

Edit - In 2020 England hosted the Euros in my file and the stadia used were the Anfield and New Anfield strangely enough,Eastlands and Old Trafford, St. James's Park and the Stadium of light, Wembley didn't even get a look in and the final was played at New Anfield:D It would be nice if there was a stadia tab in the comp to see what venues are being used to get a better feel for the cup.

Well never say never. Who knows what will happen. I don't think it should be coded to prevent certain nations from ever hosting a World Cup. Of course, the small nations will never host one but I could see Indonesia hosting a World Cup in the future, after AFC nations Australia/China host a WC first (China will host a WC for sure, maybe as soon as 2026), as long as Indonesian football keeps developing and have better coaching and facilities.

I think Qatar will get the 2022 world cup in real life. Their team isn't that bad and FIFA will get enormous pressure because the middle east is the only part of the world yet to host a world cup. The IOC got slammed for "shutting the door on the Arab world" when Rio was chosen over Doha for the final group of 2016 olympic hosts despite Doha having a better score than Rio recieved.

As of right now they are the only Arab nation to even be a contendor. If Saudi Arabia could get their act together they could be a contendor.

I think Qatar will get the 2022 world cup in real life. Their team isn't that bad and FIFA will get enormous pressure because the middle east is the only part of the world yet to host a world cup. The IOC got slammed for "shutting the door on the Arab world" when Rio was chosen over Doha for the final group of 2016 olympic hosts despite Doha having a better score than Rio recieved.

As of right now they are the only Arab nation to even be a contendor. If Saudi Arabia could get their act together they could be a contendor.

I don't see Qatar getting the 2022 bid. It's most likely going to USA or Australia. If USA hosts the 2022 WC then an AFC nation (Australia IMO) will probably host the 2026 tourney.

Is that 100,000 capacity all-seater, by the way? I thought it was around 87,000 seated but the rest were standing.

I didn't say 100,000 all-seater:) It currently has 88,083 seats to be precise, reduced from approximately 101,000 sites before the Asian Cup (in the 80's, it still allowed 120,000 people watch a domestic cup final). It's our main but not our most modern stadium though, some facilities need heavy upgrades. But it is a type of stadium that can create a true football atmosphere, nearly magical, every match played there can feel like big cup final.

But I agree, the national team should stop being a total crap first before the nation can submit a bid to host a world cup.

I do worry that FIFA's axing of the continent rotation will lead to less opportunities for countries like South Africa getting it. Indonesian world cup would be awesome, but like you say the team needs to get to at least the respectable level before they can consider hosting.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had Nigeria host the WC with some pretty bog standard stadia in 2034, and Cyprus for the euros in 2028.

This side of the game really needs a major overhaul, SI should really implement some of the basic rules set by FIFA for hosting international tournaments it shouldn't be that hard to code should it? It would be great if stadia across the country get upgraded to standard to be able to host the cup instead of seeing random venues no one has ever heard of hosting major games, and finals being held at a stadium with about 30,000 seats.

Edit - In 2020 England hosted the Euros in my file and the stadia used were the Anfield and New Anfield strangely enough,Eastlands and Old Trafford, St. James's Park and the Stadium of light, Wembley didn't even get a look in and the final was played at New Anfield:D It would be nice if there was a stadia tab in the comp to see what venues are being used to get a better feel for the cup.

agree with this wholeheartedly. i really hope this is in there

Archived