I really wish you could have the option to play as a Chairman.

Actually have to worry about finances, decide how much responsibility you want to give to your managers, manage the finances of the club to actually make it viable that you reach the next league instead of just rocketing up three tiers with a 2,000 seat stadium because that just makes no sense whatsoever.

Would be quite boring to play, wouldn't it? You deal with the few transfer offers you get predominantly around transfer windows, you fire and hire managers, and you set budgets. Maybe you could have a mini-game which determines how much money you have in your own pocket. Or something.

It's all very boring stuff.

Given that it was the guy's first post thought some of those responses were a bit harsh. A real 'welcome to the forums' from the community there. Anyway, can't say I'm keen but would like the chance to start as a U18 / Assistant Manager and work up.

Would be quite boring to play, wouldn't it? You deal with the few transfer offers you get predominantly around transfer windows, you fire and hire managers, and you set budgets. Maybe you could have a mini-game which determines how much money you have in your own pocket. Or something.

It's all very boring stuff.

Well, as I said in an earlier thread, you can be BOTH chairman and manager of the club! Have total dictatorship control of the club! Great idea isn't it? :D

Well, as I said in an earlier thread, you can be BOTH chairman and manager of the club! Have total dictatorship control of the club! Great idea isn't it? :D

No. I am sorry, but it is a pretty awful idea.

You'd never be sacked, which would remove the "stick" incentive to do well.

You could just give up all your money. You'd have no reason to keep it.

How many times does this come up a year?

The only way they could implement it is into FML. Chairman pays for club, then has a list of users who pay a smaller sub fee as just managers (deal with tactics and picking team, youth development etc) The chairman would do the stadium, competition organising and work together on transfers and have the ability to hire and fire.

It's not a great idea, it's a stupid idea. It would ruin the game and add features that just aren't needed. It's called Football Manager. Learn that meaning and realise what the board does isn't your job.

I think people are entitled to air their ideas tbh, just as you did.

Well when it gets to about eight threads a week, it gets stupid. I don't mind people airing their ideas, even the stupid ideas (that would have me up **** creek without a paddle), it's the unending repitition of the same idea over and over and over ad infinitum ad nauseum that annoys me.

Looking back I probably should have written this post first, but at the time it was a case of me basically scrolling form one thread saying one thing to another doing the exact same. I've the same problem with the 100 anti-steam threads over at Civfanatics by the way.

I think people are entitled to air their ideas tbh, just as you did.

People are also able to use the search function. This topic has been covered countless times over the years. A simple search would bring up a significant number of results.

No. I am sorry, but it is a pretty awful idea.

You'd never be sacked, which would remove the "stick" incentive to do well.

You could just give up all your money. You'd have no reason to keep it.

Well, SI can introduce a measure where the fans will force you to step down as chairman if things are not going too well! For example, a group of fans may team up and buy over the club! Just like what is going on at Manchester United! :D

People are also able to use the search function. This topic has been covered countless times over the years. A simple search would bring up a significant number of results.

This shows that if this topic has been covered many times, SI should seriously take note of this! This shows that many FM fans want SI to include this feature in the game! :)

I just go on holiday for my matches and let my Asst Manager do the matches (I edit him with FMRTE so he manges like I would). So I pretty much play as a Director of Football. So many people do this anyway. It's just a pain knowing the money is there and not being able to build a stadium or upgrade facilities or give more money to wages for staff.

Either way, you FM Director of Football haters should stop. Why should I be denied something because you don't like it?

Either way, you FM Director of Football haters should stop. Why should I be denied something because you don't like it?

Okaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy. So basically those of us who don't like or want the idea can't say that we don't want it and why we don't but those who do want it can???

Where would be the discussion in that then?

This shows that if this topic has been covered many times, SI should seriously take note of this! This shows that many FM fans want SI to include this feature in the game! :)

No it doesn't. It's a minority of people who want this feature included.

I really do think that these threads should just be automatically locked/deleted/archived whenever created by someone. It never gets anywhere and its the same things over and over.

In my opinion it could be an interesting feature.

The role which is played in Football Manager IRL exists only in few cases. In Italy for instance the transfer market is done completely by the Director of Football, the Manager could in some case advice a player or suggest a replacement for a particular position, but that's all.

In Spain more or less is the same and the figure of a Manager who completely take care of transfer market, organization of friendly matches etc. doesn't exist...

BUT is it so important that the game is an exact representation of "real life"?

In my opinion NOT.

I personally love the way the game is structured now, I love to buy the players by myself, to organize friendly matches, to decide which is my staff, to send the scouts to observe a player or a tournament that is interesting for me... I love to do this all.

At the same time I don't think it could be so excting to take care of selling sandwich at stadium or things like that.

ANYWAY why not give the possibility of buying a team?

The possiblity of buying a team IMHO would bring many improvements to the game:

1) the people who don't like this feature would not be affected, they can just avoid to buy a team and play the game as it is now;

2) it would make sense to have a salary, we could save money to buy the team which we love;

3) having our own team would give us the possibility to build up stadium, to improve the training facilities or the youth academy when we want, to distribute the budget as we wish... I'm not speaking about merchandising or selling the hot-dogs, I'm speaking about controlling aspects that ARE ALREADY PRESENT IN THE GAME but not under our control

4) buying a team would give us the possibility of programming a development of the team without any hurry, without fear of being sacked and giving the time to grow up young players

5) we would not face the decision of the chairman, who could think that an offer for a player is too good to be refused...this is a thing that I really hate in the game!

I think the good thing of this solution is that:

- everyone would be happy, who doesn't like the feature may just avoid to buy a team, the people interested can do it

- it would not neet a lot of work by the SI team, since there would not be extra-features, but just a direct control of some aspects already present in the game

What do you think about it?

In my opinion it could be an interesting feature.

The role which is played in Football Manager IRL exists only in few cases. In Italy for instance the transfer market is done completely by the Director of Football, the Manager could in some case advice a player or suggest a replacement for a particular position, but that's all.

In Spain more or less is the same and the figure of a Manager who completely take care of transfer market, organization of friendly matches etc. doesn't exist...

BUT is it so important that the game is an exact representation of "real life"?

In my opinion NOT.

I personally love the way the game is structured now, I love to buy the players by myself, to organize friendly matches, to decide which is my staff, to send the scouts to observe a player or a tournament that is interesting for me... I love to do this all.

At the same time I don't think it could be so excting to take care of selling sandwich at stadium or things like that.

ANYWAY why not give the possibility of buying a team?

The possiblity of buying a team IMHO would bring many improvements to the game:

1) the people who don't like this feature would not be affected, they can just avoid to buy a team and play the game as it is now;

2) it would make sense to have a salary, we could save money to buy the team which we love;

3) having our own team would give us the possibility to build up stadium, to improve the training facilities or the youth academy when we want, to distribute the budget as we wish... I'm not speaking about merchandising or selling the hot-dogs, I'm speaking about controlling aspects that ARE ALREADY PRESENT IN THE GAME but not under our control

4) buying a team would give us the possibility of programming a development of the team without any hurry, without fear of being sacked and giving the time to grow up young players

5) we would not face the decision of the chairman, who could think that an offer for a player is too good to be refused...this is a thing that I really hate in the game!

I think the good thing of this solution is that:

- everyone would be happy, who doesn't like the feature may just avoid to buy a team, the people interested can do it

- it would not neet a lot of work by the SI team, since there would not be extra-features, but just a direct control of some aspects already present in the game

What do you think about it?

But if all this were included then the football management aspects of the game would be less well worked. It would make me very unhappy if FM11 was released with such a major change to the game even if there was an option to disable it. This is a football management sim, not an ownership sim.

On your points:

1) As I said above the more time taken to develop this mode, which would be totally new to FM, would take away from other developments in the core game.

2) Your salary makes sense now. If you put yourself in big wages you could hurt the team financially, and it makes it harder for you to jump ship half way through a contract (compensation). If you want to think about all the lovely things the money can do for you get out a pen and paper and use your imagination during processing times.

3) If you want this either buy one of the old LMA games (last one is 07 IIRC) or FIFA manager, both of which are severly lacking in the management (i.e. gameplay) area.

4) I'm doing that as is. The security in the game is generally a lot higher than in real life. I often find that even if I miss my board-set target that I keep my job as long as I've come fairly close. A lot of clubs in real life sack managers even when they do what the club espects.

5) So you want to be able to keep all the players you buy/develop, yes? I've no problem with this, even though I prefer the realism, even when it gets frustrating.

It's very simple.

As long as the game is Football Manager, you won't be able to play as a Chairman.

FIFA Manager, or whatever it is called these days, lets you play as a Chairman. Maybe people who want to play as a Chairman should play that.

But if all this were included then the football management aspects of the game would be less well worked. It would make me very unhappy if FM11 was released with such a major change to the game even if there was an option to disable it. This is a football management sim, not an ownership sim.

On your points:

1) As I said above the more time taken to develop this mode, which would be totally new to FM, would take away from other developments in the core game.

Which are the developments in the core game? If there would be a new training system and a new tactic section (these should be more close to reality, but are really far) then I would agree with you...if the development is a "wizard" for tactics as this year...then I prefere a developement of a new section.

2) Your salary makes sense now. If you put yourself in big wages you could hurt the team financially, and it makes it harder for you to jump ship half way through a contract (compensation). If you want to think about all the lovely things the money can do for you get out a pen and paper and use your imagination during processing times.

So you see that for the manager is more convenient to ask for the lower salary? You think this is ever close to the real life that you guys claim?

3) If you want this either buy one of the old LMA games (last one is 07 IIRC) or FIFA manager, both of which are severly lacking in the management (i.e. gameplay) area.

I love FM and I don't want a new Fifa Manager. I want an FM with the possibility to chose between different game-mode. As I said before: if the improvement has to be a new wizard...then I prefere a new gaming mode.

4) I'm doing that as is. The security in the game is generally a lot higher than in real life. I often find that even if I miss my board-set target that I keep my job as long as I've come fairly close. A lot of clubs in real life sack managers even when they do what the club espects.

And what do you think when you're doing great with a team, bringing it from fourth division to Champions League and you get sacked just because the team has a new owner?

5) So you want to be able to keep all the players you buy/develop, yes? I've no problem with this, even though I prefer the realism, even when it gets frustrating.

I don't really get one thing, guys: why are you all speaking about realism?

FM is not at all realistic: the job of manager is not to buy/sell players, give them few info about position on the field and organize friendly matches...

What I am saying is that the game lack in two aspects that IRL are the 70% of the job of an english manager (like Ferguson) or the 90% of an italian-spanish-german manager:

- trainings

- tactics

Until the day these two aspects will be close to the reality, it is completely senseless to be against new ideas because "IRL is not like that". The control that we have on trainings and tactics is completely far away from reality...in the game it has more impact a talk with the media than a proper training!

If we want a game that mimic the "real life" we should have that when you are the manager of an italian team, for instance, the transfer market is completely made by the board (president and director of football) and you can only give your suggestions to them.

Yes it would be real, but personally I prefere the game as it is now...because is more FUN. I love to manage italian teams (I live in Russia but I'm Italian) and to sign/sell players and I don't care if this is not like IRL. Am I the only one?

If there are good ideas, which would make the game more fun to play...then why not?

I'd just like the option to "sim" games. I get more enjoyment from the "big picture" of FM (i.e. how players perform over a season, revenue/losses, player development, etc.) than I do sitting through the actual games. Even now, I have one tactic that I use each game and rarely change it (aside from going more offensive in a must-win game) but I still find playing through 40-50 games a year to be dull. Yes, I know you can holiday match-days, but the computer has been known to do some wonky things in your absence...

Archived