Facing a human being even when playing your personal save.

Napoleon total war is about to be released in a few days, and one of the multiplayer features implemented in this game really caught my eye. One big feature for this game (which has been in FM for years) will be the online campaign, where you take control of one nation each (either through LAN or via internet) and then play until you've both been destroyed or conquered the world. No news for FM so far. However, what really impressed me and made me think of a new FM feature is the ability to tick a box, and then every battle you fight in the SINGLE player campaign will put you against another human being from the steam community, who takes control of the army that would normally be lead by an AI general. Still, the AI will manage all other things like diplomatics, trade, army recruiting & so on. Only when it's time for a battle, another human being from the steam community will take over the army deployed by the AI.

What would you think of a similar feature for FM? would you like to have the possibility to play your own save, in your own tempo, but still be able to face human managers on matchday?

Also, imagine to be on the other side, being the manager who takes the reins of a random AI team, in another guys save. It could be a Premier League game, CL final or whatever. You could be handed Barcelona or Hull City, and try to make the Save-owner show what he's worth!

My thoughts go like this: This isn't Football Manager, it's never going to be as good as Football Manager and I'll never play it like Football Manager. Therefore I couldn't care less what features it has or doesn't have and find it a little offensive you decided to waste my time and energy Reading that utter nonsense.

GOOD DAY MY FRIEND!! GOOD DAY!!

I wouldn't use it. My experience with online games is that the other person will likely quit when he's not winning.

Also, I wouldn't want to be on the other side, since that's not the way I play the game. I want to know my players well, not get some random stats in front of me.

It seems a bit silly, becuase the AI managers in FM each have their own attributes which affect the way matches are played out, and these are rendered almost useless if they never actually use them against you. Also, I can't imagine many people wanting to take the other side, and just play a random match with a random bunch of players.

Well, I'll be playing Napoleon:TW for sure, but since I'm not all that interested in steam I'll probably not have that feature available - as long as there'll be a non-steam version of the game. That being said, the feature sounds exciting, but you cannot compare a strategy game with a football manager. FM is much more complex and it will take quite a bit of preparation on the manager's part to get to know the players well enough to get a good working match tactic. While I would like to play some matches against real life opponents, I don't need to do that in a long single player save where the opponent is someone I don't know and has no connection to my opponent's team.

Also, consider it the other way around. What's the appeal for people to play matches in someone else's savegame, quite possibly without being familiar with the league or either teams playing against each other?

I'm cool with that, it's just a suggestion. I just like the way Creative Assembly bring multiplaying to the next level & I want FM and other great games to follow. Many out there opt against steam but it really is an exciting platform when it comes to multiplayer capabilities.

Drop-In games will maybe be a bit excessive for the majority, but how about this then:

SI implement a page you are directed to after you click "network", where you see the whole steam community, which online games are up ATM, and which ones are joinable. Right now, you always have to go through msn, or this very site to get to play online games, unless you've got access to an FM-addict nearby (which myself and a few others haven't).

All I'm asking for is a bit more easy-to-access multiplaying for FM, since it's Steam-enabled which in itself gives the game huge potential. FM live exists, yes, but I want to use real leagues & players :)

Hopefully, making the games online part steam based would also go a long way to fight the piracy of the game, since people wouldn't want to get banned for using cracks, false cd-keys or whatever you use to play this game without paying for it.

I wouldn't use it. My experience with online games is that the other person will likely quit when he's not winning.

Or when you start strategising at the Attacko level. To the OP who would sit around on the steam server all day waiting to fight one single battle against a random player who is doing their own campaign, and then waiting around again after it's over. That has me :confused:

The big flaw in this idea is that I don't think there will be nearly enough interest in being 'the other guy'. FM Live is really what you're after, although I'm not a fan.

A nice feature may be to have 'drop-ins' available throughout a single player game - which is actually what I expected you to be suggesting. What I mean is that if my mate wants to join my game world, no matter the year, we would be able to set it a network so he can join in. It may already be possible, I'm not sure.

The big flaw in this idea is that I don't think there will be nearly enough interest in being 'the other guy'. FM Live is really what you're after, although I'm not a fan.

A nice feature may be to have 'drop-ins' available throughout a single player game - which is actually what I expected you to be suggesting. What I mean is that if my mate wants to join my game world, no matter the year, we would be able to set it a network so he can join in. It may already be possible, I'm not sure.

Well, that's my point really, that it would be nice to have the drop-ins available. Not necessarily as a must throughout a save, just that it's a possibility throughout. The only way that can be done, as far as I know, is through adding another manager in your save, but that would effectively leave the previous manager unemployed after your friend's taken his position. Of course you could then add him to the game again once the game's over (FMRTE) but that's why I want this function; to have it more accessible.

What would happen if this other players team had some of the same players yours did? It would be a bit pants wouldn't it?

The whole point is you play temporarily as the opposition in another guys save, so unless he's messed around with the database there would be nu duplicates..

The whole point is you play temporarily as the opposition in another guys save, so unless he's messed around with the database there would be nu duplicates..

But then what if the tactics you have mastered with your team don't work with the team you are put in charge of for a one off game?

But then what if the tactics you have mastered with your team don't work with the team you are put in charge of for a one off game?

As it's a game between two human beings I would expect it to be a tactical battle. Of course you can't just copy the tactics you use in your Barcelona save if you're facing your friend (Arsenal) away as, say, Burnley. But that's what it's all about, adding a little bit of spice to your save. You go home to a friend who's so proud of his save where he's Man Utd, and you challenge him to take the reins of the opposition in his next upcoming game where you (hopefully) smash him ;)

As it's a game between two human beings I would expect it to be a tactical battle. Of course you can't just copy the tactics you use in your Barcelona save if you're facing your friend (Arsenal) away as, say, Burnley. But that's what it's all about, adding a little bit of spice to your save. You go home to a friend who's so proud of his save where he's Man Utd, and you challenge him to take the reins of the opposition in his next upcoming game where you (hopefully) smash him ;)

OK, nut on the other side of that, what I'm sayng is that the person you will be playing against will be using their own team, right? The team thay have built and have (probably) perfected tactics for. The odds would be so loaded in favour of the person using their own team that people would soon get bored of losing challenges and stop playing.

OK, nut on the other side of that, what I'm sayng is that the person you will be playing against will be using their own team, right? The team thay have built and have (probably) perfected tactics for. The odds would be so loaded in favour of the person using their own team that people would soon get bored of losing challenges and stop playing.

Well, people will use it as they see fit. You don't have to play as a massive underdog, why not challenge him in the CL final? how crushing would that be if you denied him the CL trophy!! there you'd probably manage a better team than Burnley as well!

You could make quite an event out of it; play for the full 90 minutes, get some Pizza, suit up & get ready for the virtual CL final..

This is also asking for 0-0-0-5-5 griefers who join, play a silly formation (like 0-0-0-5-5) and just lose heavily to spoil people's games.

So they should stop producing Fifa because people quit when the are losing?? I see your point but please, why so negative? If your scared of playing new people, wait until your friend's online..

The only PVP action in FM I could see being somewhat interesting would be a match between two peoples' teams, completely removed from the gameworld. IE wherever I am in my save, I can play with my team from that instant in time versus another person's team as it exists exactly in that moment in their game. These matches would be completely removed from your FM save, so it's just a one off, but I could see it being interesting when it pits a lot of peoples' "world beaters" against one another. Of course, someone would find a way to cheat, so that'd probably kill it.

The only PVP action in FM I could see being somewhat interesting would be a match between two peoples' teams, completely removed from the gameworld. IE wherever I am in my save, I can play with my team from that instant in time versus another person's team as it exists exactly in that moment in their game. These matches would be completely removed from your FM save, so it's just a one off, but I could see it being interesting when it pits a lot of peoples' "world beaters" against one another. Of course, someone would find a way to cheat, so that'd probably kill it.

I've suggested that as well in the past, you might find a thread if you search by my name.

So they should stop producing Fifa because people quit when the are losing?? I see your point but please, why so negative? If your scared of playing new people, wait until your friend's online..

I'm not scared of playing new people. I'm actually an FMLive subscriber. Despite that, it is asking for griefers in a way FIFA isn't. In FIFA, if someone delibrately lets you beat them, no big deal. On FM, it could ruin a 12 year career game when the Champions League final you've earnt after starting in League 2 is spoiled by an idiot who plays 0-0-0-5-5.

Aye, the ability to save a first 18 as a .team file, which could then be used for bragging right 1 v 1 one off games would be fantastic. removed from the main game itself, but a good way to decide who has built a better side between mates.

That's already possible. You just need to set it to Run As Server and give him the IP, then he can join and create a manager, no matter which year you're at.

My thoughts go like this: This isn't Football Manager, it's never going to be as good as Football Manager and I'll never play it like Football Manager. Therefore I couldn't care less what features it has or doesn't have and find it a little offensive you decided to waste my time and energy Reading that utter nonsense.

GOOD DAY MY FRIEND!! GOOD DAY!!

And you spent just as much time wasting everyone elses time posting total drivel like this.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ability to manage a network game via Steam... As in have a Steam group for that game, join the game via the steam friends list rather than trying to do so by IP, have Steam manage the connection between two machines, etc.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ability to manage a network game via Steam... As in have a Steam group for that game, join the game via the steam friends list rather than trying to do so by IP, have Steam manage the connection between two machines, etc.

I like that idea very much. The online part of the game needs to be a bit more accesible

Archived