Yet another new signing is annoyed by my POSITIVE press conference?

Right, come on, get a grip!

Signed Oscar Cardozo for Liverpool, a press conference is called and I answer the questions giving my new signing nothing but praise. Afterwards it says that "it is thought Cardozo should not react well to the answers...." (words to that effect).

Why are they always upset? WHY? A press conference is my chance to make my new signing feel at home/build up his morale, yet despite my best efforts they are always left annoyed at me with low morale. This is because FM seems intent on being irritating to the core with it's totally broken player interaction.

I gave nothing but positive answers! Why is he upset? Was I supposed to be negative so he could say something like "Feels he may have made the wrong decision joining the club..."?

When was the last time IRL a player was left upset with his new manager having just signed for a club? It doesn't happen, and it should be impossible to upset new players in this way.

And while I'm here, WHY is there even an option to give hugely negative answers? You can basically say (if you wanted) that you are gutted at your new signing and think he'll destroy your team! :confused:

I genuinely believe that this part of the game should be removed as it is pointless.

PS - yes, I could have decided not to call a press conference but the feature is there, and if not using it is the best option, it shouldn't be there to begin with.

He may think your over-hyping him, hes got to live up to these high expectations you have/

I don't buy it. He's signing for Liverpool to partner Torres, and when he joined he said he had always wanted to test himself at the top level and now he had that chance. He hyped himself up when he joined.

I said I was pleased to sign him, I thought he'd fit in well, I didn't see the language barrier being too much of a problem (Spanish speaking, joining Liverpool). I didn't over-hype nor under-rate him. There was nothing I said that should have upset him but it's the same with EVERY player no matter what I say.

Its such a random lottery I have stopped calling them too. If you do manage to please your new signing it usually upsets the rest of the squad.

It matters not, the result is always the same despite my always trying to be positive.

Well I don't have a problem, have had positive reactions to my last five signings.

Rather than complaining why don't you tell us the question and how you answered it like has been suggested.

It's kind of funny sometimes to say asenine things in press conferences. I do this when I am in a Bobby Knight mood (American college basketball coaching legend who threw a chair, cusses at the media, choked a player, etc.) ;)

Rather than complaining why don't you tell us the question and how you answered it like has been suggested.

I'll try and remember them... I'll paraphrase where necessary.

"Are you happy with the capture of [player]" Yes I am.

"Do you think he'll fit in here?" Yes, I believe he'll do well here.

"Do you think the language barrier will be a problem?" No, I don't think so [because we have plenty of Spanish speaking players at the club].

"Was it hard to keep the transfer under wraps?" Can't remember how I answered that one but it's completely irrelevant imo.

You get the idea.

It's the usual questions answered in the most logical way, but they always illicit a negative response.

The main problem is only one of those questions count, the one that the media choose to pick on in the news message you get after the press conference.

Do you still have access to the message? or can you remember the question that was chosen?

I signed Cardozo, saved my game and then did the press conference. He was not happy with me, so I loaded up and did it again with new answers, same thing. I then did it with the very best answers and the very worst but he can not be pleased no matter what.

So like Aleksiss said, just stop doing them.

Yeah I remember now! Something along the lines of:

"Will he be integral to success for the club?"

I answered that ALL players will have to play their part. I didn't want to put pressure on him by saying he would be the main man, nor did I want to upset the rest of the playing staff so I chose the most logical answer. It was obviously a trap set by the game, and it's stupid.

If I'd said he will be integral, loads of other players would've been annoyed at me for ignoring their contribution. You can't win.

Yeah I remember now! Something along the lines of:

"Will he be integral to success for the club?"

I answered that ALL players will have to play their part. I didn't want to put pressure on him by saying he would be the main man, nor did I want to upset the rest of the playing staff so I chose the most logical answer. It was obviously a trap set by the game, and it's stupid.

If I'd said he will be integral, loads of other players would've been annoyed at me for ignoring their contribution. You can't win.

Without knowing the answers I don't know what I would have chosen but that sounds like a bad answer.

If you have signed him as a starter with first team or key squad status its no wonder he wasn't happy.

My choice would have been an answer that stated he was an important part of the team. Presuming he is a good player other players would recognise him as a good signing and agree with you leaving the only potential problems being players who are going to lose playing time. Even that doesn't always happen unless those players have high ambition.

Also worth pointing out that mostly all that happens is that the player loses one or two levels of morale that can soon be recovered.

Without knowing the answers I don't know what I would have chosen but that sounds like a bad answer.

If you have signed him as a starter with first team or key squad status its no wonder he wasn't happy.

My choice would have been an answer that stated he was an important part of the team. Presuming he is a good player other players would recognise him as a good signing and agree with you leaving the only potential problems being players who are going to lose playing time. Even that doesn't always happen unless those players have high ambition.

Also worth pointing out that mostly all that happens is that the player loses one or two levels of morale that can soon be recovered.

He's signed as a 'rotation' player. Doesn't matter anyway, my point is:

There should be NO WAY to upset a new player in a press conference like that. Why does the game set that trap for you? What works with one player won't work with another and it's both completely stupid and utterly unfair. There is absolutely no way in knowing what affect your answers will have until it's too late and the only way to rectify your 'mistakes' (for the love of God) would be to reload and try again. Even then you'd still get it wrong.

There should be NO WAY to upset a new player in a press conference like that. Why does the game set that trap for you? What works with one player won't work with another and it's both completely stupid and utterly unfair. There is absolutely no way in knowing what affect your answers will have until it's too late and the only way to rectify your 'mistakes' (for the love of God) would be to reload and try again. Even then you'd still get it wrong.

But your "mistakes" don't result in anything major, one or two levels of morale is insignificant after a few matches so its hardly a major issue.

Happened to me a lot.

It has much to do with the journalists, often the ones who dislike you, picking up the less-positive answer and putting it in a way it sounds negative.

You can say "language barrier isn't an issue" meaning there are other Spanish speaking players, but a devious journalist will read and report as if you say "I don't care if he doesn't speak English".

Or "every player has to make an impact", not meaning anymore "I don't want to put pressure on him" but more like "he'll play just FA and League Cups early rounds"

I've never had a negative response from a new signing conference. It's pretty simple. If language is a problem, say football is a universal sport. If it asks it he will fit into your system, say you will consider changing things to suit him if needed. If it asks if you were frustrated that the deal took so long, say it didn't bother you at all. Pretty simple...

I agree. It is totally unrealistic and pointless. I stopped calling press conferences a long time ago but recently having signed my biggest money player ever in FM10 I figured I'd try one again. BAD idea. I have never heard of a case IRL where a new signing was upset at manger's words at a press conference. And I could only maybe see it happen if you do in fact choose one of those hugely negative answers. It is simply ridiculous that my player is left deeply upset over something I can't even figure out why! Choosing any of the neutral or slightly positive responses should NEVER affect players much, if at all.

If you knew what would happen for every response, then it takes it away from having them? Its only a bit of fun. I think its quite good to be honest!

I wouldn't worry too much as it probably goes under slight concerns
But your "mistakes" don't result in anything major, one or two levels of morale is insignificant after a few matches so its hardly a major issue.

I prefer to make mountains out of molehills :D

Seriously though, little niggles like this throughout the game do get to me eventually. I think I'll just decline all press conferences of this manner from now on, to spare myself the grief.

The issue is the wording of the tactics question. It really is awful

'He will fit in to our current tactics' is the NEGATIVE answer. Shouldn't be but is.

The positive answer is something along the lines of 'We'll be using him as the focal point of our team'. Awful question and wants looking at but best to ignore it at the moment

Dont use any media ever. Theres no good or bad answers.

The hidden stats determine how the player will react and as you dont know them, its a complete lottery as to what will happen.

eg

Player x is out with an injury, how will you cope without him.

well get by fine = player x feels he is not valued

we could struggle = player x feels there is too much pressure put upon him to perform

I 100% ignore all media now as its a waste of time.

It's one of the reasons why I hardly play FM10 now, the media side of things completely ruins it for me. When I make a positive comment on one of my players, he resents me and the whole team turn against me. On top of this, they're REALLY repetitive. So I put the assistant manager in charge, and he ends up coming out with rubbish, and we end up going on a losing streak because of the media-associated morale drop. You just can't win.

Happened to me a lot.

It has much to do with the journalists, often the ones who dislike you, picking up the less-positive answer and putting it in a way it sounds negative.

You can say "language barrier isn't an issue" meaning there are other Spanish speaking players, but a devious journalist will read and report as if you say "I don't care if he doesn't speak English".

Or "every player has to make an impact", not meaning anymore "I don't want to put pressure on him" but more like "he'll play just FA and League Cups early rounds"

Well that is rubbish, why would the player only react to what the journalist has said/written about when, if it is a press conference specifically called to announce his signing chances are high that he would actually be there sitting next to his new manager the whole time?

I hate press conferences, I never do them anymore, but I figure anything above the no comment answer is a "positive" response, and anything below it is "negative", regardless of what they actually say in relation to the question (I mean the "was it hard to keep the transfer under wraps" question - how are any of the answers negative or positive?! Its a nothing question that if a real journalist was to ask he'd probably get laughed at for asking such a pointless irrelevent question, I mean the fact that a manager didnt want other teams to become interested in their new star signing is hardly gonna sell papers is it?)

The thing that got me though is that when the press ask me about the oppositions dangerman, then always follow it with "who do you plan to use to counter the threat of player x". My ass man always gets the answer right, every time the player he says responds positively, I dont think Ive ever got it right. My ass man can name a left back in the reserves who hasnt played a game all season in League 2 to be the main man to mark Fabregas out of the game in the FA Cup despite Fabregas playing center midfield and alls fine, I pick my tough tackling, first name on the team sheet, defensive midfielder and captain and the whole team revolts - and god forbid saying "no comment". Only gotta say that once and it negates the entire point of the press conference in the first place because the news report (no matter what else Ive said) will say that Im cagey or whatever because I refused to answer the question despite being asked twice.

I figure anything above the no comment answer is a "positive" response, and anything below it is "negative", regardless of what they actually say in relation to the question

See that's my point mate, I always go for the positive replies but still end up annoying the player in question. God forbid I should be happy with a player I just spent £11million on, and Heavens no! Surely I don't expect him to fit in? tut tut.

The main problem is only one of those questions count, the one that the media choose to pick on in the news message you get after the press conference.

thats what i still dont understand, you can praise the player in every question, but then you say only one thing wrong and he gets annoyed, its like if there was only one question on the whole press conference, wtf?

Archived