Played since original CM - finished and appalled

I have owned every single game of this series dating back to Championship Manager on the Amiga, Championship Manager 2, Championship Manager Italia and all of the Football Manager Games that resulted following "the split".

I pre-ordered the latest Football Manager, and am currently completely unable to play it.

Installed via steam, I was initially able to play it, then for two days I was told "This game is currently unavailable, please try again later".

Eventually giving up, I uninstalled, then attempted to re-install, but apparently, for the last two days, the Steam servers have been too busy to handle my request.

Stupid little paying customer me, I accept I probably should've realised sooner that I'm not important enough.

I've tried to re-install direct from the DVD, but that too is an error-strewn dead-end.

Thank you SI Games for putting so many obstacles in front of me, that frankly I can't be bothered anymore. A relationship that i must be about 15 years old is over. I used to think I was actually responsible for some of the developments that have happened in the CM/FM series after I wrote you a letter as a schoolchild about how you could improve CM, and so many of these suggestions were incorporated in CM Italia and CM2.

Now I'm just disenfranchised and unable to play.

I hate everything you have become. I hope you choke on your Steam greed.

Why didnt you post on here, asking for help/advice? There ar eplenty of people here who would have helped you try and fix things. As for the Steam issue, there was a patch for FM released yesterday, which may explain why it has been so busy, but I fail to see why, if Steam fails you, you're ranting at SI.

Well fella its easy to blame everyone instead of yourself. For the very vast majority included myself who have bought every game since the first on the Amiga its been an improvement every release.

The only problem I ever had was last year with the uniloc and this was eventually resolved

Why not post more details about the issues you are having and perhaps someone can help you e.g. unistall the steam and DVD installation and retry

Seems strange you post this now when if you pre-ordered it you would have had the game months ago... how many posts you made about asking for help?

Why didnt you post on here, asking for help/advice? There ar eplenty of people here who would have helped you try and fix things. As for the Steam issue, there was a patch for FM released yesterday, which may explain why it has been so busy, but I fail to see why, if Steam fails you, you're ranting at SI.

All I want to do is play the game I've bought and played for, why should there be any blame attached to myself? What a stupid situation that you should even have to consider consulting a forum for help on how to even start a game you paid for and have been playing for 15 years.

Surely it completely unacceptable that a veteran player should have to resort to forum begging to even get the game to fricking load up?

Why do you think it is an excuse that there has been a recent patch? Why do you think that absolves SI from blame? They chose the Steam method, not me..

are you drunk?

Yes, hardly the point though...

Try closing any other Steam game you are playing..also, if you are on dialup, go to a library or coffee house.

home broadband and no other Steam games

Well if the OP posts exact details around is issues, and my advice here is to fully unistall what he has then loads from DVD and down load patches 10.1 and 10.2 for boxed DVD version he will be pleasantly surprised

Here to help fella. Asking for help isn't begging, we all need help from time to time

I have owned every single game of this series dating back to Championship Manager on the Amiga, Championship Manager 2, Championship Manager Italia and all of the Football Manager Games that resulted following "the split".

I pre-ordered the latest Football Manager, and am currently completely unable to play it.

Installed via steam, I was initially able to play it, then for two days I was told "This game is currently unavailable, please try again later".

Eventually giving up, I uninstalled, then attempted to re-install, but apparently, for the last two days, the Steam servers have been too busy to handle my request.

Stupid little paying customer me, I accept I probably should've realised sooner that I'm not important enough.

I've tried to re-install direct from the DVD, but that too is an error-strewn dead-end.

Thank you SI Games for putting so many obstacles in front of me, that frankly I can't be bothered anymore. A relationship that i must be about 15 years old is over. I used to think I was actually responsible for some of the developments that have happened in the CM/FM series after I wrote you a letter as a schoolchild about how you could improve CM, and so many of these suggestions were incorporated in CM Italia and CM2.

Now I'm just disenfranchised and unable to play.

I hate everything you have become. I hope you choke on your Steam greed.

There have been other posters who have had issues of one sort or another who have had the issue resolved by asking in the forums. To start with, there is a Steam FAQ thread where you can get help with Steam issues. If you want help, ask. If you only want to rant then we cant help.

All I want to do is play the game I've bought and played for, why should there be any blame attached to myself? What a stupid situation that you should even have to consider consulting a forum for help on how to even start a game you paid for and have been playing for 15 years.

Surely it completely unacceptable that a veteran player should have to resort to forum begging to even get the game to fricking load up?

Why do you think it is an excuse that there has been a recent patch? Why do you think that absolves SI from blame? They chose the Steam method, not me..

out of interest, if you had bought window7 and it had reacted the same way, would you now be posting this on a Microsoft forum, and going out and buying a Mac? No? Surprise....

You DID choose the Steam method, not SI. You have the dvd, so therefore, you did NOT have to use Steam in the first place. You can manually install and patch the game, just the same as you have done with countless other versions.

Asking for advice/help on here is hardly begging, but then, if thats the way you see it, then fairy snuff.

Why do some people on here feel they need to be sarcastic and belittle those who have concerns are unhappy in a product they have been loyal to over the course of time.

Seriously the guy has a valid complaint and it needs to be addressed and you dont do that by coming out with silly untoward comments to a fellow player.

He needs help and support and we need to show as a community that we are listening and if need be to help.

Try closing any anti-virus program you have running.
Fair point, I'm willing to lend a hand, if the OP is interested.

Agreed rinso, we can only help if he is interested. I'm sure he is but is just having a bad day, we all get them

Why do some people on here feel they need to be sarcastic and belittle those who have concerns are unhappy in a product they have been loyal to over the course of time.

Seriously the guy has a valid complaint and it needs to be addressed and you dont do that by coming out with silly untoward comments to a fellow player.

He needs help and support and we need to show as a community that we are listening and if need be to help.

if you read the posts there are people wanting to help. i think its the nature of the first post that generates some of the responses. Imagine a post detailing his previous experince and more details around the issues and more people could offer the advice they may resolve it and turn his feelings back round.

if sure tomorrow he'll do this when calmed down a bit

Sorry but i am sure, no i am positive the OP would have got a far better response if the thread was written in a manner in which people would feel happy to help, but as it was written in what i can only describe as a vicious rant then i can see why people are a bit reluctant to help.

I still think it was a joke :)

As someone who used to do software support, I can say that having one person have no trouble at all does not mean there are no problems with the system. Thus, I regard the 'it worked for me' comments as being relatively useless. When they start to combine a tone of assault on the poor guy who had problems, they become worse than useless.

Sorry but i am sure, no i am positive the OP would have got a far better response if the thread was written in a manner in which people would feel happy to help, but as it was written in what i can only describe as a vicious rant then i can see why people are a bit reluctant to help.

I still think it was a joke :)

maybe, I suspect some liquid Xmas cheer has had an impact

He has the right to be all unhappy he wants but his problem isn't terminal, to many of us (specially those who could not play the game before 10.2 was released ) he sounds complaining that the grass is too green and the sea too wet.

I don't get why he can not install from the dvd

Me, I came here to laugh at the fact that when I clicked "online help", it brought me here.

Hope you all enjoy being slave labor.

I clicked the option for free beer and one arrived with a dona kebab - fantastic

As said above, if you post the errors you're getting/check the Steam FAQ then we may be able to get this fixed for you. It's not ideal that it doesn't work and you need to find help on a forum but it is what it is.

Is it better to rant on a forum and get no help, or ask for help and get some?

For everyone else, the sarcastic comments don't really help matters.

As I read this thread, its amazing how insulting everyone can be. Anyone who has problems is obviously drunk. Yeah, right.

With any game I've seen that's published through Steam, I've always seen a certain percentage of the customers have major problems. You can find this on any game that uses Steam for distribution. Insulting the people who have problems doesn't help any.

I've played since the CM days as well, and the fanboys haven't changed a bit.

The sad thing is that some of the are probably the same people who've never progressed beyond this.

And, this is the place that SI expects people to come for help. If you click the link for online help, it brings to you to be insulted by fanboys.

As I read this thread, its amazing how insulting everyone can be. Anyone who has problems is obviously drunk. Yeah, right.

With any game I've seen that's published through Steam, I've always seen a certain percentage of the customers have major problems. You can find this on any game that uses Steam for distribution. Insulting the people who have problems doesn't help any.

The sad thing is that some of the are probably the same people who've never progressed beyond this.

And, this is the place that SI expects people to come for help. If you click the link for online help, it brings to you to be insulted by fanboys.

Well What goes around comes around really...

Me, I came here to laugh at the fact that when I clicked "online help", it brought me here.

Hope you all enjoy being slave labor.

WOW what a post. if you care to re-read there ARE people trying to help.

As for being a Fanboy, well its not worth the bother to respond mate. In terms of the drunk post, if you re-read the post he says he is.

if he wants help he'll ask and give the details

With an opening post like that, what would you expect?? We don't live with blinkers on, you know, we do know there are problems with the game, and people here (like myself) are more than willing to help. But you can only help people who want to be helped. Coming on the forums, ranting the games broken and youre annoyed is neither a good way to do it, nor is it going to get you any help.

Archived