Can I play game early?

i pre ordered from shopto ages ago, just got the email saying its been dispatched, so ill be getting it tomorrow as ive paid for next day delivery (dont trust royal mail).

so my question is, will i be able to play it tomorrow due to the activation thing?

i pre ordered from shopto ages ago, just got the email saying its been dispatched, so ill be getting it tomorrow as ive paid for next day delivery (dont trust royal mail).

so my question is, will i be able to play it tomorrow due to the activation thing?

Yes. If you keep the disc in the drive no activation is necessary.

Yeah i'm also wondering about the activation, as if activation can't be done until friday it penalises people wanting to use Steam instead of permanently having their CD in their drive. Surely using Steam should be encouraged?

Mine copy's also been dispatched from shopto, but my DVD drive hasn't been working for a while now. I managed to install FM09 by transferring the files from the CD to my external harddrive and installing off of that. I presume by doing this though FM (whilst playing) won't recognise the external harddrive as the FM disc like it probably will during installation, meaning that Steam will be my only option?

I think a large number of people are going to be getting the game either tomorrow or Thursday, due to online companies sending the game out early by next day delivery etc to beat the postal strike. It would be a good idea to turn the activation on either tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest.

Could someone please explain to a non-Steam user like myself the benefits of signing up? As far as I can gather, they send you the updates/patches automatically and there may be some exclusive skins. Is that all?

Does the "Check for updates" button not exist in the game any more?

but can i activate any time. so i can start playing using the disc, then activate when available?
YOu can if you have a time machine

??? take that as a no then??

but i cant see why i couldnt. surely it should prompt me every time if i wanna activate :confused:

So I will be getting my game tomorrow, next day delivery off UKMAIL, being dispatched today, will I be able to install and play tomorrow?

If not then I won't be happy.

And if you do get your game tomorrow, and can play, then I won't be happy.

Unless Steam allow me to download it too.

:rolleyes:

but can i activate any time. so i can start playing using the disc, then activate when available?

This has already been answered. Read it carefully.

There is no activation this year. The CD has to be in the drive this year and that's it.

If you're talking about registering it through Steam, you can assign any game to Steam at any time - it won't stop you playing it just because the official release date is Friday.

There is no activation this year. The CD has to be in the drive this year and that's it.

If you're talking about registering it through Steam, you can assign any game to Steam at any time - it won't stop you playing it just because the official release date is Friday.

If you install the game and choose to play via steam then it will ask you to validate with it. If that's the case, then the only way you'll be able to play it is via the CD because Steam doesn't allow you to play games before the release date, that is unless you install via the CD method and simply "add" it to Steam, which doesn't give you automatic updates nor their content.

People who pre-order with Steam or choose to install using the Steam method before Friday will be able to play at 0:01am on friday morning.

is this possible then?
no point playing before 1st patch is released

Why not? Patches are save game compatible. So unless it includes a data update and you really need to have this new update then you can continue any game you've already started.

What time will the patch be up? 00:01am friday?

Here's what has been said:

We will aim to release the patch at some point on October 30th, although we obviously cannot guarantee that at this stage, or give a time. I apologise in advance if it ends up slightly later than this, as I'm about to go away on a PR tour round Europe, so want be on the forums much to update about it.

True but there are certain advantages to activating your game with steam. Firstly you'll get any patches automatically. Secondly you can get an FM2009 type skin if your not too keen on the new one that comes with fm2010 (altough I believe Miles said that this skin wont actually be available for a couple of weeks yet). Third the game has other features (achievements I think they were called :confused:) for users of steam. I cant remember the exact wording for this so either read the activation thread or one of the blogs where it was mentioned. Finally if you use steam to activate then it means you can keep the dvd in the case once its installed so it remains scratch free.

I personally will just keep the disk in the drive since I don't think that I'd be able to have the game in my posession for 2 days without being able to play it.

hi has anybody had confirmation from game if theres has been dispatched

Yes. Had confirmation emails from both shopto and uk mail. It will definitely be with me some time tomorrow morning acording to the uk mail email.

People who have pre ordered off Steam or intend to buy on release will be able to play a day earlier as they have brought forward their release date to the 29th, so it will go live at 12.01 on thursday morning not friday morning like it was supposed to. Good work Steam.

It looks like Steam has moved up the release date, but not to 12:01 AM Thursday morning in the UK. I loaded Steam, and the store now says it is 1 day and 15 hours from unlocking. That would be noon eastern time here in the U.S. and 5:00 PM in the UK on Thursday.

It looks like Steam has moved up the release date, but not to 12:01 AM Thursday morning in the UK. I loaded Steam, and the store now says it is 1 day and 15 hours from unlocking. That would be noon eastern time here in the U.S. and 5:00 PM in the UK on Thursday.

Yeah but from my experience of Steam it always goes live at 12.01 on release day like some times it says 15 hours to go and then 1 hour before the release day it changes to 1 hour remaining. I may be wrong we will just have to see.

Archived