Man Utd bankrupt by May 2007?

I started a game in January 2007, in FM2008, 8.02.

I'm not managing in England, but I selected the English leagues when I setup the game.

About 5 months into the game, on May 2007, I got a news item saying "Man Utd have been deducted 9 Premier Division points for going into administration".

I checked, and since I started the game, they haven't played a single match, or made any transfers. And they are bankrupt. Looks like the European leagues are waiting for the next season to start to play some games.

Is this normal and I just had never noticed before?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

I started a game in January 2007, in FM2008, 8.02.

I'm not managing in England, but I selected the English leagues when I setup the game.

About 5 months into the game, on May 2007, I got a news item saying "Man Utd have been deducted 9 Premier Division points for going into administration".

I checked, and since I started the game, they haven't played a single match, or made any transfers. And they are bankrupt. Looks like the European leagues are waiting for the next season to start to play some games.

Is this normal and I just had never noticed before?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Its quite common for this to happen although it normally happens a few years down the line. I believe the same thing also happens to Liverpool quite a lot. Is because of their massive loans.

ROFL, I know its going to happen in my game too, I am going to survive the 6 months til my league starts in Slovenia, but some of the other teams are going to seriously regret me starting in January 07 as they are not having friendlies organised...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by city321:

Don't english teams normally recieve a 10 point deduction? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

10 points for Football League, 9 points for Premier League.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Des Tiny:

ROFL, I know its going to happen in my game too, I am going to survive the 6 months til my league starts in Slovenia, but some of the other teams are going to seriously regret me starting in January 07 as they are not having friendlies organised... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my point. Shouldn't the game simulate something so the teams aren't stuck 8 months waiting to play their matches?

Maybe an acceptable solution to this would be for the previous seasons fixtures to somehow be loaded into the game and the games played behind the scenes. That way if you do play a league that starts before others then those teams will not suffer financially.

You don't need old seasons players for those other teams, just a basic played games and finances model.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Shouldn't the game simulate something so the teams aren't stuck 8 months waiting to play their matches? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you arrange some tours and friendlies?

man utd being deducted points sounds very suspicious to me. certainly not something that could happen in a normal game of FM.

they would have to lose alot of money in quick succession and hasn't happened in any of my games.

is it possible to find out the richest teams currently in your game?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

man utd being deducted points sounds very suspicious to me. certainly not something that could happen in a normal game of FM.

they would have to lose alot of money in quick succession and hasn't happened in any of my games.

is it possible to find out the richest teams currently in your game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, I don't have that savegame anymore, but I remember that when I saw the news item, I went to the Richest teams in England screen, and Man Utd was in third place.

Quite a few people have reported Manyoo and Liverpool going into administration before now.

However, for me they're doing fine. Utd have just sold Tevez to Chelsea for £22m and bought in Pato to replce him fro £26m!!

They've splashed the cash in previous seasons too so seem to be doing fine.

In 2014 fwiw..

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by route1:

Quite a few people have reported Manyoo and Liverpool going into administration before now.

However, for me they're doing fine. Utd have just sold Tevez to Chelsea for £22m and bought in Pato to replce him fro £26m!!

They've splashed the cash in previous seasons too so seem to be doing fine.

In 2014 fwiw.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, in 99% of my games they have no cash problems whatsoever. That's what made it so strange this time.

They could have still signed players, I have seen this myself, on FM07 I fancied starting with the brazil season start whilst playing with Stoke in the championship, anyway, I was playing friendlies every week at home against large teams reeming in the money whilst I signed all the players to give them time to gel.

Manchester United spent big by the time the season came around they were selling players and the news items were talking about how cash strapped manchester united were.

Imagine 7 - 8 months of no gate receipts, little merchandising, no prize money, no season tickets.

Not to mention on FM bankruptcy is based upon a) boards willingness to cancel out the debt

b) a clubs cash reserves

Man Utd's cash reservers aren't all that big to start with so with a wage bill of like 1.5 million a week or whatever manchester uniteds is, and a board that isn't willing to invest heavily especially compared to the likes of chelsea it is a very real possibility.

Archived