'don't let your performances drop'

I use this regularly and to good effect.

The trick is to apply it as the team-talk but then give any players who have rating less than 7 or morale worse than very good the appropriate individual talk.

e.g.

rating 6 or less/good morale = disappointed

rating 7 or more/poor morale = you have faith

rating 6 or less/poor morale = sub him

I also do a little tactic tweak at 1/2 time too... maybe move 1 or 2 sliders 1 or 2 notches up or down depending on how the boys are playing.

It does work. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

It only works in retrosepct after you've picked "pleased" with a two goal half-time lead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should always pick pleased with a two or more goal lead. It's foolproof.

In fact apart from "we can win this" (losing) or "encourage" (draw/one goal lead) it's the only half-time talk I use.

Murphy's Law states that if anything bad can happen, it will. Therefore by using that option, your team's performances will drop.

There are better talking options, though.

But there are some players who become more determined after using that option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger Hunt:

Surprised. I always use 'don't get complacent'/'don't let your performance drop' at half time if I'm leading, and never get any player complaints.

My squad character is determined/ driven - maybe this makes a difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My squad is highly professional/driven and half of them were confused/annoyed the ONE time i used it at half time, leading 4-0.

The post-match .why can't you play like this every week?' is even more suicidal!

If they're 4-0 up then I can kind of understand because it's questioning their ability pretty seriously.

I mean if you were AC Milan 3-0 up at half-time in a CL final, you'd have a right to be pretty confident wouldn't you icon_wink.gif

But in a game where I am 2-0 up and there is a reasonable balance of shots on goal I think I've got every right to tell them not to fall asleep.

Whatever I say at half time rarely works when we are 2-0 or better up. Saying I'm pleased generally causes the players to get complacent (except the odd stunning example) so we generally concede 1 or more. Saying don't let your performance drop generally results in a second half full of total dross, but we seem at least to concede less than we do if I say I'm pleased, we just never look like scoring again even if we played for another 9 hours icon_frown.gif

I use it quite a lot, especially in Europe and have had a lot of success with it, sometimes going on from 2-0 to win 5-0. I think it may be because my team has a squad personality of "very determined" so they don't take it as an insult but take it as inspiration.

I think it is quite a negative way of saying a positive thing.

Basically, if you have been the better side but are only a goal up, or if you are leading but the other side have had chances, you want to be able to say 'Go out and kill this game off, keep it tight but get another goal'.

It's no good saying 'one more goal will do it' as we all know that if you're only 2-0 up in the last 5 minutes the AI will go 4-2-4 and snatch a point icon_wink.gif

But when you're 4-0 up there needs to be an option that says 'No-one's ever scored more than 10 goals in a game in this competition, I'll bet you all £100 quic you can't get into the record books'.

team talks can be used to great effect but you have to think about it

but yea i agree with what you say, the team talks as a whole are useless and when i go to my "team talk feedback" most of the time the players "dont seem to be listening"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

It only works in retrosepct after you've picked "pleased" with a two goal half-time lead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should always pick pleased with a two or more goal lead. It's foolproof.

In fact apart from "we can win this" (losing) or "encourage" (draw/one goal lead) it's the only half-time talk I use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found pleased is often suicidal. Even if I don't end up loosing, I have found that my team often plays poorly in the second half, giving the opposition a chance.

If I'm more then a goal up, I have always found "don't let your performance drop" or "none" to be the most effective HT team talk.

I used it yesterday after the most dominant 1st half I've possibly ever seen with my Werder Bremen team 0-3 up in Hannover, having had 68% possession and 87% pass completion.

I guess the Hannover manager gave his team a half time roasting, but still, our second half performance was totally naff. We only bothered to create a proper goal scoring chance once they scored and whilst we were never in any danger of letting go the 3 points it was still disappointing to see the 2nd half performance and no chance of the real life Werder Bremen 6-1 Hannover result being repeated despite us being so much better than them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnard27:

team talks can be used to great effect but you have to think about it

but yea i agree with what you say, the team talks as a whole are useless and when i go to my "team talk feedback" most of the time the players "dont seem to be listening" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, only used pleased for a friendly and when I am really stuffing a team by half-time, and for individual players who scored or played really well. Usually, I use none "don't let your performance drop" or "none" for the team.

Archived