A NEW feature that must be added

Having started a game with Everton on FM09 and had Mark Hughes declare interest in Joleon Lescott and Tim Cahill over 30 times each before January in the first season without making one single bid, surley in FM10 we should be able to report team for tapping up players! its rediculas how many times the ***** apears in my inbox

in short

New feature - ability to report teams for tapping up players, could possably work in extreme cases as mentioned above

What you guys think?

"Tapping up" is a media-hyped load of nonsense really. Particularly as most people who refer to it don't know what it actually means. Declaring interest, unsettling players mentally etc is not against any rules, nor should it be defined as "tapping". "Tapping up" refers to talking to a player or his agent directly without the knowledge or permission of the player's contracted club. While 'forbidden' it happens much more, on a small scale, than is reported about, with the media instead ballooning a few cases out of proportion. Obviously there can be said to be a degree of communication in declaring interest, but it's certainly nothing that can be reported.

Too, with that said, I don't really think such non-events or any anything involving legal proceedings has much of a place in a game, particularly with the rarity of cases that end up at any meaningful ruling, and even then have very little impact.

Tapping up is when a manager directly speaks to a player about signing for them, making their agent a formal offer of wages etc, or says in public that they wish to sign the player. The second part is a very grey area. "He'd be a great signing, and I'd love him to come here" isn't necessarily tapping up. It is just a truthful statement. If he says that he'll "double his wages to come here," I think that qualifies.

Whether it's Real Madrid or Grimsby who want Wayne Rooney as their next signing, both managers can say they'd love to sign him, but only one of them would have a chance (he'd never go to Madrid).

But if the Grimsby manager called Rooney and said, "Ey up, how about you let yer contract run down and I'll pay ye £500 a week to come to sunny Grimbo?" but the Madrid manager just cooed about how he'd "love to sign Rooney", it's the Grimsby guy who'd be in the dock.

I don't know if they are looking to change this, but as it stands, I don't think Hughes would be in trouble for praising players in the media. He's currently being a lot more direct about John Terry.

Tapping up is when a manager directly speaks to a player about signing for them, making their agent a formal offer of wages etc, or says in public that they wish to sign the player. The second part is a very grey area. "He'd be a great signing, and I'd love him to come here" isn't necessarily tapping up. It is just a truthful statement. If he says that he'll "double his wages to come here," I think that qualifies.

Whether it's Real Madrid or Grimsby who want Wayne Rooney as their next signing, both managers can say they'd love to sign him, but only one of them would have a chance (he'd never go to Madrid).

But if the Grimsby manager called Rooney and said, "Ey up, how about you let yer contract run down and I'll pay ye £500 a week to come to sunny Grimbo?" but the Madrid manager just cooed about how he'd "love to sign Rooney", it's the Grimsby guy who'd be in the dock.

I don't know if they are looking to change this, but as it stands, I don't think Hughes would be in trouble for praising players in the media. He's currently being a lot more direct about John Terry.

lmaoooooooooo :)

Chelsea have reported man city just for declaring an interested and man citys deffence is that they only answered questions asked by the media after chelsea declared they had rejected a bid

They did.

If they came out and said "John, come here and we'll give you £200k a week.", or even mentioned such figures in press conferences, then maybe Chelsea would have a case.

I don't see why Citeh want him anyway, but that's another matter. ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Okay, so it isn't "tapping up", or "taping up" either. :D

However, the OP has a point on a couple of fronts: its repetitive, its annoying, and it doesn't feel "realistic" to me. Further, its long been a problem area in multiplayer games (declare interest just before your big match against your human-managed rival, just to unsettle his key player), enough so that most "friendly" multiplayer games have a house rule against it.

Which leads me to think that the negatives aren't negative enough.

We could address this in a couple of ways.

1. Update the AI so that manager A won't declare interest in player X again within, say, 45 days of his previous declaration of interest.

2. Increase the negatives on the "declarers" current team: yeah your strikers may be excited that you're hoping to bring in a creative playmaker, but your current central midfielders may be worried that they are being replaced, and that they aren't "good enough" in your eyes. If it were highly likely to unsettle players at your own team, it would be "nerfed" as a multiplayer strategy, and would be a bad thing for an AI manager to overuse.

3. Allow us to declare a question off-limits to the media. "I've answered this question before; I'm not going to answer it again." Most respectful media members, and those you have a good relationship with, would let it be .. while a devious shyster who doesn't like you might still try to slip it in by way of stirring up trouble. (This would be effective for plenty of other 'repetitive' questions, too.)

or you could just sell Lescott coz he's an ugly bstard who looks like he's used his forehead to rest a hot pan of water on and thank the virtusal Mark Hughes for taking this man, who scares little kids more than Michael Jackson and the bogey man combined, off your hands.

In all honest as much as it can be annoying what the game is doing is not illegal and can be done by any manager in real life if he wanted so I say let it be as it is

or you could just sell Lescott coz he's an ugly bstard who looks like he's used his forehead to rest a hot pan of water on and thank the virtusal Mark Hughes for taking this man, who scares little kids more than Michael Jackson and the bogey man combined, off your hands.

In all honest as much as it can be annoying what the game is doing is not illegal and can be done by any manager in real life if he wanted so I say let it be as it is

Lescott's got a strange forehead/hairline because of a car crash, or being hit by a car, or similar.

it scares me

Hardly something to joke about though. :)

Ribery and Tevez's scars, for example, are much more noticeable and they don't seem to get the mockery that Lescott does. I guess the fact that they are means it's more clear it's nothing to joke about.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic.

Lescott's got a strange forehead/hairline because of a car crash, or being hit by a car, or similar.

O/T : This is an issue that interests me, is it ok to take the **** out of someone, say Crouch for being not the best looking person ever? At the same time is it not O.K to do the same to Tevez or Lescott because they have had accidents?

The ugly players are always better anyway. Ribery, Beardo, Messi, Ronaldinho, the real Ronaldo, all brilliant, all fugly.

On topic: I like the idea, it annoys me how often other managers comment on my players if I'm anything less than the biggest club in the world. In which case they never say anything. Ever.

I hear Laisa Andrioli can play quite well ;)

SI have said they won't add anything to do with tapping up or similar ever. I do agree that it would be good if constant interest could be turned down.

To the OP, this is the single most annoying feature in the history of any FM or CM game, if you are a team with a lower reputation you are screwed.

I'm Ajax and winning league every season, while doing better in Champions League every season but still teams like LOSC Lille who constantly finish between 6-10 are able to affect my star defender. Its ridiculous, I swear to god I must have offered about 40 new contracts to various players in the last 3 months. IMO, totally and utterly un-realistic.

Boring. Please change the record.

And as for the original question, Hughes' pursuit of Terry through the media is nothing short of disgraceful. He doesn't have to answer anything, he doesn't have to prompt anything. He's going out of his way saying he wants to bring Terry in. Has he ever considered that Terry might not want to move? the same with Joleon?

I'd love to see something in the game to respond to such flagrant abuse, but it could probably be resolved with better coding on SI's part to reduce the amount of ludicrous praising.

this may have been suggested already, so sorry if i'm way behind. only just started playing fm again after a six month break.

when managers start banging on about buying your most precious players, it is nice to be able to do the 'hands off' warning, but how about a 'put up or shut up' option, where you force them publicly to make a bid or, quite frankly, stop hassling your player?

i think this would be an excellent, easy to implement change...

I'd definitely report a team for taping up my players. I mean, how are they even supposed to make it to training, let alone play a match, if they are taped up?

Damn that duct tape, it's powerful stuff!

cheers amaroq.

oh. and another thing. when rumours start flying about in the press about you wanting this player or that player, it'd be nice to be able to put the press straight outside of a pre/post match interview.

everyone is linking me to jose antonio reyes at the moment!!! yeah, right!! at newcastle? in the cold? don't think so.

luq at what happened to luque...

not sure about the rest of you but i get sick and tierd of clubs constantly enquiring about the same players week in week out or constantly bidding below asking price.

what i think would be a good option to relief some of this stigma would be to use your assistant manager or board as follows, you set an asking price that you would enter negotiation with and also set his squad or transfer status, when a club bids or enquires about a player the board or assistant will refuse the bid on your behalf if it's below your set price, if the bidding club is prepared to to offer your set asking price then you will beable to choose which clubs if more than one can disscuss terms with the player..

People always like the ugly players more anyway in reality, people hate the good looking ones as they just seem far too lucky and are often alot more arrogant + obnoxious (C.Ronaldo....).

About the actual point, don't think it should be tapping up but something must be done about it, i'd love to be able to challenge someone to make a bid (eg. 'show me the money' type thing).

P.S this is so funny, but obviously not intentional "Location: You're Mum". I AM MUM!

Archived