Fining Players - Why do they feel this is unfair?

This has came up a couple of times although not since the offending players were sold.

Talented midfielder not geting a game in my first season. Due to the fact that I had brought in 2 of my own players. I want to keep him and use him as backup but naturally he isn't happy with this.

He misses training.

Now in my view this is a serious offence and warrants at least a weeks fine. If I didn't turn up for work I woudl get sacked so I think a week would be lenient.

Not wanting to start a player revolt (he has favoured personal) I fine him one week.

He thinks this is unfair!

Oh but not turning up for training is fair on your team mates is it?

It happens again and he gets a 2 week fine, again he feels this is unfair.

He feels I am trying to force him out of the club!

I haven't had the option of telling him that I think he is a quality player and if he gets his head down then he could force his way into the team.

Just a spat dummy.

So he was sold in the window.

WHy though do some players feel this is unfair. I could understand if he had a poor game and I fined him 2 weeks wages but missing training? Come on.

It makes me fearful because if one of my key players pulls the same trick i will be apprehensive about fining him, even though it would be warranted.

What do others think?

This whole fining thing isn't paid enough attention to, but if i was in that same situation i would just of warned him. I know it might seem a bit light but in the game you only fine players if they repeatedly miss training. I think there should be more options for disciplining a player like having strong warnings and final warnings.

I think it's just a case of an extremely petulant player. You'll pretty much have no other choice of action anyway, although you can start by warning the player the next time one will be guilty of same offense. Personally, I'd sell players like these without any hesitation. If a player thinks I should be fine with him missing training he'll be out the door right away.

Sadly, the means of interacting with players are severely limited in this game. This often means we'll have an unhappy player and nothing that can be done about it. In reality you'd just sit down with him, talk things straight and come to a conclusion as to what would be the best way to deal with it. In FM we're forced into multiple choice minigames and no feedback as to why the reactions are what they are is actually given. Player interaction needs to be expanded heavily. It's way more important than press conferences and other media gimmicks.

Footballers aren't the most educated people are they? Some are quite the prima donnas as well.

Imagine if C.Ronaldo was fined two weeks wages for missing training. He'll definitely want out pronto. (Okay, maybe not at Man U. He should expect such things from Fergie anyway. But at any other club he would probably want to be revered as a king)

Put yourself in a work place scenario today-

If you have a clean disciplinary record and take a day off work, would you expect to be given a 1 weeks wages fine for your first offence? I dont think so so remember that footballers are employees and need to be treated as such.

If you have a clean disciplinary record and take a day off work, would you expect to be given a 1 weeks wages fine for your first offence? I dont think so so remember that footballers are employees and need to be treated as such.

Even if you take a day off, you have to call and inform in advance. No boss will appreciate an employee going AWOL without any explanation.

Sorry but that is simply not true. I would go as far as to say it is nonsense.

If I go AWOL for a day I would be lucky to keep my job. I would have a disciplanry hearing and at that hearing I would either get a 12 month written warning, 24 month written warning, or the sack.

Granted I wouldn't be fined. But I would rather take a fine than lose my job.

I have to agree with other posters that there are not enough options for interactions. As a manager I would want to know why he missed training. Is he unprofessional or is there deep-rooted problems with him that make him do these things. I'm no psychoanalyst but people have reasons for their actions.

Obviously because of the limitations of the game I had to sell him. But if there was the option to say "Look, I know you want to be a first team regular but I am the manager and you havw to prove you're worth it. Get your head down in training and make me pick you. Don't miss training again or you will be out the door"

I think we should be able to terminate a contract without compensation being paid if this is for disciplinary reasons.

I just fined Marlon Patterson at Hitchin for missing training for the second time in three months. He felt is was unfair. He's lucky I can't afford the 3k payoff! Damn him!

Football is a VERY different business to what the majority of these forums work in.

I think it is a case of a player who thinks he is bigger than the club. Some players will accept the way you disciplined them and some won't, it really depends on the personality of each player.

i am managing in argentina and my team have serious discipline issues. now when a player gets a red card i fine him 2 weeks wages even if it was 2 yellow cards. i don't get any complaints

So do you find that they are telling you it's unfair but when you keep doing it they accept their warning/fine?

well i started off giving warnings, then a weeks wages but i decided enough was enough and now i come down hard. i thought it had worked but my last game was the cupa libertadores final and my star striker elbowed someone in the face and got a red card in the first leg.

nobody has ever complained, not even once. and it being argentina, i'm dealing with some difficult personalities.

eidt: one thing that might be important is that most of the squad list me as favoured personel and i am a favoured personel of the club too. i'm sure they would complain if i would fine them for violent conduct instead though, so i have no idea why there is even an option for that

I've found that player's responses to interactions (both media and fines) are affected by their personalities. I've had to make adjustments to what kind of reactions I give them if I have a specific objective ahead of me. One size and standard response DOES NOT work until you have everyone with the same personality type. I have NOT noticed that squad status affects their responses to my player interactions.

I only really give warnings for poor performances. What I imagine it to be is a kind of 'Socks up, son, or you're out.'

Poor discipline (repeated yellow cards) is also a warning offence. Straight reds is always a one week fine IF I agree it was a straight red. Appeals seem to always fall on deaf ears, so I tend not to bother now.

Failure to turn up for training = unprofessional behaviour and I will not have it. One week fine for each offence. A player either accepts it or he doesn't. If not, he can put in a transfer request. In my sides, no one is allowed to think they are bigger than the club (or me! lol!) and if they try the old training dodge, they're fined.

Also, if a player gets three reds in a season, he's gone. This is because he's either a thug, or can't tackle, or is too thick to understand why he's been fined before. I won't have a player like that, on any count.

i am managing in argentina and my team have serious discipline issues. now when a player gets a red card i fine him 2 weeks wages even if it was 2 yellow cards. i don't get any complaints

I don't know whether this is stereotyping or fair enough, but in FM Argentinian regens seems to nearly always have a temperament of 1. Btw, it's that hidden attribute that causes the petulant reactions.

I think we should be able to terminate a contract without compensation being paid if this is for disciplinary reasons.

I just fined Marlon Patterson at Hitchin for missing training for the second time in three months. He felt is was unfair. He's lucky I can't afford the 3k payoff! Damn him!

He did it again! Two weeks wages fined and shipped off to the reserves.

Cheeky sod.

I don't fine or warn players for red cards because as you have obviously noticed it decreses their aggression attribute. Of course, when you have defender who has aggression 17 or 18, it might be good idea to bring it down a little, but I find that aggression around 12-14 is necessary for defenders, so it's not reasonable to push it too low by fining player for red cards.

As has been suggested, this is due to the personality of the player.

YES! YES! YES! (fists pumping and much dancing around in front of my computer...) A response from an official source that confirms my hypothesis regarding much of FM.

:D

• 7 months later...

This may be a little off topic, but it is needless to say a weird story about people going AWOL.

At my brothers work, a guy left for his lunch break and did not return. In fact, three months went by and no one was able to get in contact with him.

One day, he walks into the office, takes his seat and asks for his password to be reset so he can log in.

People were shocked at what had just happened. He had actually lost his job in the three months he had been gone, but was subsequently re-hired when they found out his wife had passed away and had found out during his lunch break and he had sufferred a mental break down.

:o

Archived