SI can NEVER get the rating system work

It's been so many years. At each version I keep writing about this, I'm tired now!!!

So many months of testing, still can't get it to work? It's like a joke. Now the average ratings of goalkeepers and D C's are lower than the rest of the team. Only by 0.2-0.3, but still. Just reduce the effect of goals and assists, that will do.

Why can't you fix this?? :confused:

Unbelievable...

:mad::mad::mad:

They did considering in my 15 seasons I don't have that problem. I'd think it's your tactics that make the difference, or their CA for that matter.

9.3.0 of course.

Apart from the AM C bug, it is still not perfect. I know it is better, but could be even better.

And of course I'm not just looking at my team. I'm looking at every divisions average rating rankings.

I'm in my 5th season. Every seoson it is the same story. So far in this season:

Best 5 forwards:

Best 5 midfielders:

Best 5 defenders:

Best 5 central defenders:

Best 5 goalkeepers:

Can't even see them on the rankings because none of the goalies are in the top 100.

How can you say it is fixed???

It is very simple. The problem comes from too much increase of rating due to goals/assists.

Haven't noticed any ratings problems. My striker scored two goals, and my defender scored, my striker got 8.8, my defender got 9.0

So it seems that the ratings don't seem that bad.

Yes, but your defenders don't score 10 goals when your strikers score 20.

Central defenders get that occasional 8.0-8.5 in a game when they score a goal. In any game they don't score, they can perfrom the best they can, and they will still get 7.3-7.5 at most. Typically their average ratings are 6.7-6.9.

Fullbacks get slightly better ratings because they join your attack force more, they cross the ball many times, and they get assists that way.

For goalkeepers it is worse. Even with clean sheet sometimes they get ratings like 6.0-6.5. When they have no action on the field, they should get something like 6.7-6.8. And if they make 1-2 save, they should get a 7.0-7.3. I almost never see a goalie who has an average rating more than 7.0.

Furhter, here is what's terribly wrong with the whole rating system:

It is too much dependent on

1- goals scored

2- assists

3- mistakes leading to a goal (for defenders)

In my last game, especially one of my D C played very well. He had 16 headers (14 succesful), 2 of them being key headers. His pass accuracy was good, he also had some good 8 tackles and 6 interceptions. With these stats, he was only getting a 7.0-7.1. Then he made an assist from a corner, and he ended with a 7.6.

His rating should have been around 7.5-7.8 without the assist. You knon why, because game statistics of defenders hardly ever get better than his stats in this game. So, in other words, unless he scores from a corner, he can play like a god and SI's rating system will rate him with a 7.6, at best.

SI, can you see what is absolutely wrong here? The rating system is out of 10.0, and any player theoretically should be able to get a 10.0 without goals or assists. In your system it is impossible. It is heavily depended on goals and assists.

Another example:

In another match both my D C's played very good, I was 3-0 up, and of course the players who scored the goals and made the assists were getting ratings around 8.0, whereas my defenders were getting 7.0 and 7.2 (that's pretty much the threshold for them!!!). In the last minute a long ball came and they both left it to each other, and the opponent striker ran thorugh them to get the ball and he scored. Guess what: Now they both have made a 'mistake that led to a goal', and their ratings suddenly dropped to 5.9 and 6.1!!!

So, looking at their stats, although they had a better game than most of my midfielders and forwards, they got 5.9 and 6.1 whereas my lowest rated midfielder/forward got a 6.7.

SI, seriously, I'm willing to work for free on this, to come up with a rating system that will be fair, for FM2010, if you don't have anybody there working on this who actually has a clue about statistics. I'm not kidding. I can run maybe 1000 games, carry the statistics to a spreadsheet, and come up with a rating system more realistic and absoulutely less dependent on the scoresheet. Then I will send it to you and your guys can write the algorithm.

I'm serious, because after maybe 10 versions of the game, I believe that you are either incompetent in this area of the game, or you just don't care / don't want to spend time on this. Either way, I'm willing to help, FOR FREE, just to get this ironed out in the next version.

:)

How can you say it is fixed???

It is very simple. The problem comes from too much increase of rating due to goals/assists.

Sorry, but I can give you averages from my games and in those, their rating is around the same as the rest of the players get.

BTW, are you all out attacking? I would guess that that would also influence the rating.

Sorry, but I can give you averages from my games and in those, their rating is around the same as the rest of the players get.

BTW, are you all out attacking? I would guess that that would also influence the rating.

No, I'm not. And I REPEAT: It's not just my team, but the whole division. And every other division that is active and running in full detail match engine (accelerated/simplified match engine somehow creates balanced ratings though).

I'd love to see your division's ratings.

Also, on top of D C's getting lower rating averages in an average game, WHY WHY WHY does the rating of a defender goes down drastically when his mistake leads to a goal, whereas if a midfielders mistakes leads to a goal his rating remains unaffected?

Can anybody from SI explain the logic behind this? In fact, can anybody from SI explain the logic behind creating a rating system that clearly favors midfielders and forwards? There has to be a reason, or SI was just careless??

Not that I particularly agree with the point the OP is making, but is this the new attitude from SI then? If you didn't beta test you are not allowed to raise issues with the game?

I think it's more of a response to the fact he's mentioned a few times now he'll "work for free to sort this out" when he had a chance to sign up for beta testing recently.

Not that I particularly agree with the point the OP is making, but is this the new attitude from SI then? If you didn't beta test you are not allowed to raise issues with the game?

what do mean new, si have always had a condescending attitude towards posters on here.

Did you put yourself forward to beta test 9.3 when we had that thread running?

Paul, I'm 32 years old, I have a full time job (structural engineer), so I don't follow the forums throughout the whole year. I start visiting when I buy a new version, ang get frustrated with the amount of bugs/flaws.

I'd love to volunteer for FM2010.

So, can I put myself forward now, in advance?

My email:

bleventozturk@hotmail.com

Like I said, I love this game, and honestly FM2009 is in my opinion the most playable version ever since CM01/02. But rating system must be one of the 4-5 major areas in a 'realistic' football managament game, yet every version failed. That's what is preventing FM09 from being a perfect game.

• 3 weeks later...

I do think it's a bit OTT that a player can get MOTM in the if the ball ricochets off his backside and into the net for the winner, but ratings seem okay for me in general. I would say that perhaps goalkeepers are a bit underrated, especially in good sides, though.

The ratings can certainly be improved, but they'll never be 100% perfect because everybody has a different opinion on how players should be rated. You only have to look at message boards etc for fans rating real life players after games to see the ridiculous spread of ratings that players get given. From the Derby message boards for the game against Burnley yesterday, Jay McEveley is getting given 8s and 9s by some posters and 5s and 6s by others for the same performance.

My impressions are that goalkeepers seem to be a little underrated. My keeper can have a clean sheet and only get 6.6 or so. OK, maybe he only had a couple of saves to make, but he did his job.

Last season, I won the league with the second best defence - averaging just under 0.5 goals/game conceeded - yet my nearly everpresent (he missed one game) keeper had an average of 6.7-ish - the lowest for an outfield regular was around 7.0.

I think the ratings need to be sorted, what causes an increase or a decrease in rating needs to be reviewed, the formula just doesn't work. Personally I think players should be rated on what they had to do. A CB should be rated on the percentage of times he was beaten, the success rate of his tackles, the success rate of his passes, etc. At the moment it seems he is rated on the number of passes he makes, the number of headers he wins, whether he gets a goal, and whether he "makes a mistake". Although it's worth noting that these "mistakes" are often other players faults, but the CB gets blamed.

And for the record I did raise this during beta testing ;-)

Archived