CAMRAD - CAMpaign for Really Awesome Dots (in FM10)

Almondo - one of my favourite RD episodes. :D

I tried to do a top 5 but it came out as a top 10. I guess I just love the dots too much.

Top Ten Things I Love About Dots by Crouchaldinho

1. The imagination factor - dots allow you to dream.

2. The tactical factor - being able to see the whole pitch and watch every player's movement.

3. The fluidity of pure dots factor - the old 2d was just so beautiful to watch pre-3D. I could just watch those dots darting about forever.

4. The goal factor - the goals are just 100% superior in dot mode. They look amazing.

5. Eccentric dot behaviour - I love it when sometimes the dots drift or move strangely , especially when celebrating a goal. Absolutely dot-tastic.

6. The referee dot - because referee dots need supporting too and I think the ref dot is cool. :cool:

7. The physio dots - they are even better than the ref dot and one of my favourite dot moments is when two physio dots carry an injuried dot off the pitch. Brings a tear to my eye.

8. Clarity - Being able to identify my dots through their squad numbers and being able to easily see if any of my dots is carrying a nasty dot injury.

9. Dot goal celebrations - when the dots gather together or when a goalscoring dot runs over to my bench. These are special moments where my imagination could fill in the gaps. Dot celebrations are great!

10. Not limiting or restrictive - I have found 3D to be somewhat repetitive on the few occasions I have tried it, whereas the dots bring something new and beautiful to my screen in every single game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3D is the present already, 4D! is the future :)

m1234566778, you traitor! will you make me fart on your entire company or what ?!

Is this necessary 3 times in your last 3 posts really? Or have I missed the joke?

You can actually see what the goals look like

Almost everyone else has said that's a bad thing.

I'd rather see a potentially brilliant goal in 2D than see an 'anticlimax' goal in 3D

EDIT: Mwtralha - your 'join date' is my birthday :cool: EDIT II: So is Muncherdave! :p

If you have serious points against dots, then you should post them. That we we could get some actual debate going here, rather than a focus on the groups.

One last reminder, let's keep the drivel out. Otherwise the thread will be closed.

Come on guys. I'm looking at two of you in particular. :mad:

If you want to ruin the fun for everyone else then that's just selfish. :thdn:

Let's keep it funny but with plenty of relevance to the dot debate. :thup:

C.

OK guys, in order to keep CAMRAD alive, we need to get back on track. The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. :D

We also need to get back on topic otherwise the thread will be closed. :( So what I propose we do is all post a top 5 list of things we love about dots.

Come on people. Let's have your top 5 list.

I'm just working on mine now.

C.

I'm going to post the things I think SI need to do to help get the Dots at an acceptable standard for us 2D lovers.

1. The removal of the time-bar and advertising boards. This, whether optional or not, has to be done to increase the size of the 2D pitch. The 2D pitch is too small and it looks cramped and ugly to the eye. An option, known here as 'FM07 experience' could be included to provide those without 3D or for those who do not get enjoyment out of the view. It would consist of the view we saw in 07 where the screen is larger and the 3D view is non-existant to the eye.

2. The 2D pitches are pretty ugly a lot of the time. I don't think this sort of pitch is easy on the eye and damages my enjoyment of the match itself when the background stands out so dramatically over the on-pitch action. I think the pitches that we see in Football Manager Live are much better looking and this sort of thing is what we should be aiming for. It is much better looking than the current pitches and the goals look nicer.

3. A common issue is the strain that the 2D view puts on our computers. My game is constantly having laggy patches and I don't think it is down to hardware as I have 4GB RAM, 2.0GHZ Duo Core processor and a HD 3470 card. This isn't the best rig but I it should be able to run a 2D pitch. To make things more obvious, my much older computer ran the FM2008 version very sharply.

4. A manager dot should be introduced. This has been suggested many times on these forums and it is about time that the most influencial dot is put into the view; the manager. I don't think it would take too much coding and it would just make us feel in the game and involved with the action on field.

What would convince you CAMrad'ers to swtich over to 3D, if anything?

I've got to be honest Neji and say that I don't think anything would make me want to play 3D. I'm being serious as well - this isn't just CAMRAD propaganda.

I just honestly love 2D and I have come to realise how much since 3D has come around.

I think it is just the imagination factor really. Plus, I have always valued FM as a game where the detail and the playability has been more important than having flashy graphics etc. and I think of FM as primarily a 'laptop' game.

I should also add that I am not a 'gamer'. FM is the only video game I play or am even remotely interested in. I will never be buying a gaming PC with a great graphics card. I will always want to be able to play FM on my normal laptop.

I actually think that if SI were to get rid of 2D entirely, I would probably just give up the game. :(

C.

O,o

m1234566778, you traitor! will you make me fart on your entire company or what ?!

Neji - can you just give this guy a warning or something. He isn't adding anything to the conversation, he isn't even being funny and I'm fed up of hearing about his farts. :thdn:

C.

I'd rather see a potentially brilliant goal in 2D than see an 'anticlimax' goal in 3D

This is actually a very good point indeed.

In a save I had with Liverpool, I saw Fernando Torres score the best ever hat-trick I have seen in FM09.

I became curious and it got the better of me, so I loaded it up into 3D and it was NO WAY as good. :(

Has anyone else had that experience?

C.

Now seriously ( O,o ) I prefer this type of 2D than the FM08 one. It is more.. "happy". I'm now playing as only commentary and Goals replays as 3D, but when I'm sick of 3D I swith to see highlights as 2D for a few days and then switch to 3D again :)

In a save I had with Liverpool, I saw Fernando Torres score the best ever hat-trick I have seen in FM09.

I became curious and it got the better of me, so I loaded it up into 3D and it was NO WAY as good. :(

Yep, that's exactly how I meant :)

It's the same when your player goes on a jinky run through the defence. You imagine it to be astonishing Messi-esque close-control, but when you see it in 3D, it's underwhelming because it looks like the opposition defenders are just lazy and don't even stick a foot out.

Neji - can you just give this guy a warning or something. He isn't adding anything to the conversation, he isn't even being funny and I'm fed up of hearing about his farts. :thdn:

C.

Agreed C, lets get back on topic now.

Good points Peter, the pitch would look beter if it was as you designed. Those "Wembly" goals are lovely on the eye, much better than the other goals

Now seriously ( O,o ) I prefer this type of 2D than the FM08 one. It is more.. "happy". I'm now playing as only commentary and Goals replays as 3D, but when I'm sick of 3D I swith to see highlights as 2D for a few days and then switch to 3D again :)

How many times are you going to say that it's just getting boring now. First 3 times, First 100 times tedious after that just boring.

I have just had a guilty pleasure I watched a 2D match. I can see why it appeals to you guys but I just think 3D is the future and after a few more improvements it can be excellent.

CARCD

I'm going to post the things I think SI need to do to help get the Dots at an acceptable standard for us 2D lovers.

Good idea peter-evo. :thup:

1. The removal of the time-bar and advertising boards. This, whether optional or not, has to be done to increase the size of the 2D pitch. The 2D pitch is too small and it looks cramped and ugly to the eye. An option, known here as 'FM07 experience' could be included to provide those without 3D or for those who do not get enjoyment out of the view. It would consist of the view we saw in 07 where the screen is larger and the 3D view is non-existant to the eye.

It has to be a full screen 2D classic mode, I totally agree. And basic like 07 and 08, where things ran smoothly and we had all the tools we needed to navigate the game.

Anyone else think that the TV View is totally useless for 2D Classic mode?

I don't want to have those windows covering the pitch! :mad:

Basic 2D mode is what we all need.

3. A common issue is the strain that the 2D view puts on our computers. My game is constantly having laggy patches and I don't think it is down to hardware as I have 4GB RAM, 2.0GHZ Duo Core processor and a HD 3470 card. This isn't the best rig but I it should be able to run a 2D pitch. To make things more obvious, my much older computer ran the FM2008 version very sharply.

My laptop is also struggling with the strain of 2D classic as I have pointed out in a few threads. I'm fed up of the stuttering and this on a machine that ran FM08 as smoothly (with a capital smoo) as can be.

4. A manager dot should be introduced.

I'd love it.

FM09 shouldn't have been about 3D. It should have been about the manager dot!

It would have sold far more copies. Take note SI!

C.

Agreed C, lets get back on topic now.

Good points Peter, the pitch would look beter if it was as you designed. Those "Wembly" goals are lovely on the eye, much better than the other goals

Yes, the goals at the moment are difficult to see and it is difficult to notice whether the ball is over the line or not.

I honestly think SI should be putting more time an effort into 3D now. There can't be much more scope for improving 2D anymore (technical difficulties aside)

2D was good for its time but I think it's time to move this game forward with better visual effects along side the playability and detail as Crouchy said.

Put it this way, if things never change then things never move forward and 3D is ( no joking) the future in terms of the ME in these management sims now, does anyone remember the furore when SI introduced 2D? people wouldn't use it, slowed the game down etc well now look how good it is, you have to apply the same thinking to 3D and imagine where that could end up.

Yep, that's exactly how I meant :)

It's the same when your player goes on a jinky run through the defence. You imagine it to be astonishing Messi-esque close-control, but when you see it in 3D, it's underwhelming because it looks like the opposition defenders are just lazy and don't even stick a foot out.

Yeah this is my point on the 3D the players are made to look lazy. that's why I've gone back to the 2D mode at least it looks good. And that's where imagination comes in

What would convince you CAMrad'ers to swtich over to 3D, if anything?

I wouldn't, a 3D match takes so much longer because you have to play it so much slower than 2D, which looks odd if it is anything less than full.

Thats the same reason I don't use the 2D on FMH.

It's not funny, it's just annoying. Could do with some proper infraction points imo...

It has to be a full screen 2D classic mode, I totally agree. And basic like 07 and 08, where things ran smoothly and we had all the tools we needed to navigate the game.

Anyone else think that the TV View is totally useless for 2D Classic mode?

I don't want to have those windows covering the pitch! :mad:

Yeah, TV mode in 2D looks very odd. It may just be me, but I'm sure the dots are the same size wether it's TV or normal?

Peter, I'm going to download your 2D classic screen changing thingy (look at me getting all technical).

What exactly does it do? Does it change the non-TV view to be more like 08/07?

C.

It removes the time-bar, leaving the pitch larger and filling out the screen more. The match slows a bit but that is easily fixed by bumping the "match-speed" a few notches.

Put it this way, if things never change then things never move forward and 3D is ( no joking) the future in terms of the ME in these management sims now, does anyone remember the furore when SI introduced 2D? people wouldn't use it, slowed the game down etc well now look how good it is, you have to apply the same thinking to 3D and imagine where that could end up.

I actually personally loved 2D when it was first brought in.

Does anyone remember which version it was? CM4 maybe? :confused:

Personally, I think SI should stick with 2D as long as possible. It is a wonderful way to play the game. And after all, 'commentary only' has never left the game. :thup:

C.

I actually personally loved 2D when it was first brought in.

Does anyone remember which version it was? CM4 maybe? :confused:

Personally, I think SI should stick with 2D as long as possible. It is a wonderful way to play the game. And after all, 'commentary only' has never left the game. :thup:

C.

Commentry is hardly compareable to 2 or 3D though is it?

IMO 3D is better than 2D but there is still plenty of room for improvement but it is time for Commentary only mode to disappear.

And force people to watch the matches? Do you know how many people that will affect in a negative way?

I can't see them taking it out, obviously many people still use it. Probably more than use commentry only.

Removing something like that would be detrimental to the game. I still use commentry aswell.

Downloading now.

Let's see if this helps me to get back into FM09.

Have you done any more work on this Peter? Any chance of getting rid of ad boards?

C.

Placing This in your Football Manager directory inside 'my documents' should do that for you.

Commentry is hardly compareable to 2 or 3D though is it?

Yes it is. Commentary only is an old and simple way of playing the game that people still enjoy. I think 2D will go the same way.

I also think 2D is superior for making tactical decisions and watching player movement. Who agrees with me on that?

I win more matches with dots so they must be the best! :cool:

C.

Great idea :thup:, please may I join, if that is ok :D

I like this idea because the 3-d has been a massive step foward but isn't quite up to scratch yet. 2-D though I really like as it's better to make tactical decisions as you have a better view of the pitch, it also runs faster as well!

Archived