[FM20] Voltaço

_Ben_

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Johnny-Trotter said:

Another interesting challenge, with lots of fascinating detail! I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Many thanks - I've flown through the first couple of years and now I feel a bit more 'attached' to the save so I think I'll be stepping up my (in-game) detail soon.

2023 Serie C

901dadeb9e1cc76f6ffb90e2f1df969b.png

Whilst it is much nicer to actually see some green on this page, a very different situation to what I saw in the Carioca, it is a little disappointing that we have once again fallen one game short and, once again, one quite late goal short of taking Joinville to extra time. 

I haven't really been able to settle on a formation that fits this team and we definitely blow hot and cold, but, that is to be expected for a team that is overachieving. 

---

6a16ca46c3d90172fe91f96a4a3019f2.png

A really mixed bag player wise, and we've been hit by the opposite of what I want to happen in the future, the Carioca campaign. Hopefully, that competition, given the weak nature of the competition, with 4 Serie A clubs and ourselves being the only league teams, we will be able to start the season well, score some goals and get some good ratings. However, the poor AR in our eleven game streak without a win have cost us here.

---

0f41cc625fccd0e9d59bfb94adff90de.png

Next year, it's time to take a step in - sort the squad out and have a real crack at the two competitions!

Player Development

A couple of spreadsheets to share but, to be fair, I'm not as excited about these as I was in my Guadalajara save, at the moment. We will see how this develops:

Two Years

a3fedadc644ee9e92fec828d50df1bd2.png

I only have eleven of this group left now and it is Maicon who has made really good developments but this is to be expected as he's developing into a good first team player. On the other hand, Vander Torres has both had a poor season on the pitch but also in terms of his development.

This is what the two year progress looks like:

ca7c933c27eda92782a12fb67595f061.png

I am closer to finding what is an 'acceptable' mean for my first team and I'm also getting a better overview of the impacts of poor personalities, as they are everywhere!

---

One Year

68da197caac2f28aa38ee2a9e5713b80.png

97d958b48b9dd6b9c9a0ef41135078f2.png

With the forced sale of Cris a few days before I was making this, I've been left with little to shout about from this intake. Both Cate and Didi have made good progress, despite neither being anywhere near the first team and with the former not having a positive personality.

8 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

players aren't good but u can get satisfaction from making good players out of bad players ?

Definitely, and I really like the player that Maicon has become - see below for start to now:

20ed35500acf91fa25d02f410800d064.png

But he'll (more than likely) be at his peak soon and is probably not going to be a Serie A striker. I like it when I'm a bigger club and have all the infrastructure I need in place, but I need to feel like I am attached to the club, so tend to start lower down.

The player development in my Guadalajara side really took off in the second tier and I need to remind myself that, whilst I can produce really good comparative data right now, the meat and potatoes of this thread won't be starting for another few years yet.

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Definitely, and I really like the player that Maicon has become - see below for start to now:

20ed35500acf91fa25d02f410800d064.png

But he'll (more than likely) be at his peak soon and is probably not going to be a Serie A striker. I like it when I'm a bigger club and have all the infrastructure I need in place, but I need to feel like I am attached to the club, so tend to start lower down.

The player development in my Guadalajara side really took off in the second tier and I need to remind myself that, whilst I can produce really good comparative data right now, the meat and potatoes of this thread won't be starting for another few years yet.

Yes idd ! I know u track a group of players for three years. why not longer ? i'm (if i ever reach that many seasons) planning on tracking all the classes till the end of my save. But comparing a class between year of intake and 5 years later is difficult because most of the players will or could be gone. So comparing them for that long gives individually a good image of the quality of the intake but not as a group ?

Also updating the top ten best intakers from the start and the best progressed youth players. For calculating that i need to track everybody that is left from all the old classes .. or i wouldn't know who is the best developed player, right? 

19 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

Yes idd ! I know u track a group of players for three years. why not longer ? i'm (if i ever reach that many seasons) planning on tracking all the classes till the end of my save. But comparing a class between year of intake and 5 years later is difficult because most of the players will or could be gone. So comparing them for that long gives individually a good image of the quality of the intake but not as a group ?

For two reasons - a) keeping all the intake players for 5 years is 80 players outside of the first team squad. I would find that very hard to manage and b) I would say that most of the development is made before 19 and, although I'll miss a few of those out, that's all part of the fun.

20 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

Also updating the top ten best intakers from the start and the best progressed youth players. For calculating that i need to track everybody that is left from all the old classes .. or i wouldn't know who is the best developed player, right? 

I have always compared first year (or maybe three year this time) growth so I only need to keep them for that long.

2024 Preview

A few more players than I wanted to bring in and my squad, overall, is still small but I'm a) determined to do better than last year and b) trying to now put my mark on the squad with the type of player I want to develop.

e15c2bb0fa50667001f446616cdd6a40.png

Jaja. Andreson. Jaderson. Joao Fernando. Renato Augusto. Joao Pedro. Gabriel Furtado.

Jaja is quite a complete midfielder with Serie A experience last year, albeit largely from the bench for Criciuma. Andreson is an interesting signing from Serie B side Goianiense, as he's got all of the Brazilian-esque Ginga (if you don't mind me stealing your phrase @Mikaelinho) that you'd expect even if his passing is a slight let down. I want someone to play in the #10 role and I think he'll do well. Jaderson has a bit of Serie A experience with Paranaense and is a nicely rounded inside forward on the right hand side. Joao Fernando adds some ball-playing ability from the back and Renato Augusto, who hails from Rio himself, has returned 'home' to add some experience to the side. He's vice captain and is also Highly Influential in the dressing room - even if he's not a guaranteed starter. Joao Pedro is another winger from Paranaense and looks an exceptional steal for this level whilst Furtado provides some backup.

---

That leaves my strongest XI looking like this:

e72c35a5809fc1d7315980d0be9c34ce.png

I'm thinking about moving to a more counter attacking system, using pace, trickery and dribbling at a much higher tempo than before and have gone for a 4-2-3-1 (roles and duties to be tinkered with) which uses my favoured double midfield block. I've started to get a few better personalities in the squad and some strength which will, hopefully, allow me to build my attack around academy player Maicon - as the academy is still my focus, even if I've strengthened by removing academy players.

I don't have much depth, as finances dictate - but here is the rest of the first team:

bdd8adf5f16e65b3c75000f8fc90912a.png

Augusto will be an impact sub I'd imagine and academy players Xavier and great scoring forward (!!) Fernando will get some game time off the bench and against the weaker Carioca sides.

---

With the squad revamp and a better grasp on the first team - I can probably say that I'm past phase one: settling, and moving into phase two: progressing now!

Edited by _Ben_

31 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

For two reasons - a) keeping all the intake players for 5 years is 80 players outside of the first team squad. I would find that very hard to manage and b) I would say that most of the development is made before 19 and, although I'll miss a few of those out, that's all part of the fun.

I have always compared first year (or maybe three year this time) growth so I only need to keep them for that long.

Thanks, i think that your way is much more realistic in terms of 'right age' and 'availability of data' .

2024 Carioca Turn One

e6a3876050493123611511c3bcd12691.png

It was nice to put our winless streak to an end in the first game of this turn against Macae, where I spent a lot of time observing the new tactic and the new players on show. Since then, we've been good, not great, and have picked up a 'bonus' point with the draw against Serie A Botafogo but then did lose to Madureira. I think that it's going to take a perfect turn to come top and, as we seem to be playing two of the big four in each turn, that will not be for the foreseeable.

We also extend our winless run in the Copa do Brasil, having lost in the first round each time in my tenure and since the start of the game. We were good against Serie A Fortaleza, but even with the last gasp heroics of Augusto, lost because we are lower seeds.

---

cdee7c5249966da4c5690fdb52a4e8fb.png

New signing Renato Augusto has become a team leader, which is great, as now one of them has a (partially) positive personality. Also - they are all in support of me as my stint now probably puts me among the longest serving Brazilian bosses!

---

f12b5d7734e3c63e4cdd7b1e1ba18295.png

Just a little point on Alan Ruschel, my new coach. He was one of the very few survivors from the plane crash that killed the vast majority of the Chapecoense team back in 2016. The other two members of the team are not in the game: Neto, who, according to Wikipedia, is the Chape manager (yet not in the game) and Jakson Follman, who had to retire due to injuries sustained in the crash.

2024 Carioca Turn Two

69a8f0fc2eb35b8a98170a3e06e962a5.png

Just the five games in this turn and another decent set of results - although the dropped points against Portuguesa made took the shine off it a little. Another unexpected 'bonus' point with the draw away at Vasco in the first of a very annoying set of away fixtures at the Serie A sides.

Finishing the competition in fifth is probably the best that we're going to do for a long while, even if we did come third two years back. Fluminense were relegated two years back and, even though they are back in the Brasiliero now, they are flirting with the drop could end up as one of the teams that I try to profit from. The gap between ourselves and the seven teams below us will hopefully remain still and I can only hope that our Goal Difference can be improved each time we face a team from the lower leagues!

2024 Campeonato Brasiliero Serie C first half

af0e7511bd612194eacdc17673f2acb6.png

Nine games in and we're in a really solid position. It seems that our performances against Serie C opposition are, largely, more convincing that those against Serie D and below opposition in the state league. 

Our campaign got off to the worst start with a loss to Ponte Preta, who, despite being here for their second year, are a team that belongs way higher up the pyramid. Since then, we're undefeated, even if we are conceding a few more goals than I'd like - including nearly throwing away a three goal lead against Brusque.

If we can solidify our position in the playoffs with a few games left, I will rotate heavily (well, as much as I can) to ensure that we are fresh and ready for the two game playoff - knowing that just reaching the semi-finals will see us promoted.

1 hour ago, Mikaelinho said:

Welcome to Brazil my friend! Feel free to stop by my favela for a party any time you're near Santos and of course you can borrow Ginga, as much as you want. Here in Brazil, Ginga is in and for everyone!

Thanks!

The quality of football here, even in the bottom tier, is just superb! My Guadalajara save was all about 'the team' with controlling the ball, moving forward as a team etc but I am sure that this will develop more and more into allowing creative freedom and seeing the brilliance of the individual.

New Signing

912a0d963d0e8e9bf07f5bea1653d30f.png

Ex-Real Madrid Castilla full back signs for some depth. He wanted £6k p/w in January but accepts 7.5x less than that to be a backup in July. The board aren't happy with his signing but he's a decent option.

Player Development: Erick Fernando

bb756f00a099f3514c04d2f369cb635f.png

Despite his poor performances on the pitch, I'm quite happy with the development that he's making and it's giving me hope that this kind of approach will work even better as we progress as a team. There are still some things in my skin that are a hangover from the last game (such as the training improvement tab still showing coloured squares not numbers - but I need to find some time to fix it) so I'm using screenshots to compare attribute gains. Here is his development over a two and a half year period:

7b4565696f588b54c9e507453d046656.png

He was one of two players that I used the P/R/D of his playing role - which means that he'll develop all of the attributes necessary for a striker, ranging from those needed for a Target Man, False 9 to Poacher. This has it's drawbacks, such as not needing to work on his passing or first touch, but also has its benefits - given that it's a light schedule and I can then focus his time elsewhere. As you can see - he's been working on Shooting, which focuses on his Finishing, Long Shots and Technique - which have grown a total of 63% from his starting point. 

He is still not, and never will be, in any way a clinical finisher, and his Off the Ball, Composure and Anticipation will not be good enough to offset that but he's made very good improvements given the level that we are, the ability of our coaching staff and the facilities that we have.

Player Development

Three Years

10c56e1b2cf554f2c4445918888298c4.png

My starting crop of youngsters have now completed three years of development at the club and to be fair, it's all about one man - Maicon. He has made major intelligence development this year (anticipation, concentration and decisions) and is also the only to make any kind of solid growth across the board. When looking at the overall development of these players, he is head and shoulders above the rest but what is most disappointing is the (lack of) growth for Vander Torres, my starting right back and oldest player in this group. 

---

Two Years

cf1bf001b0c6c8bda638d82f575510ae.png

A few more players left in this group, although only Gilson Camilo has tasted first team football to this point and has not developed at all this year, sadly. Cleberson, with one of the better personalities in the group has made the best overall progress but, being honest, this group has been hard to manage as there is nobody who really caught my attention with their skillest.

---

One Year

565c0555e288e96f042325f0cefc206b.png

All of the players have remained who completed the first year and it is the better personalities of Baggio and Thadeu who have done well, with Diego Santiago (Balanced/Volatile/Media Friendly) making surprisingly good progress, too.

Once again, there is nobody here in the first team so it's not as 'engaging' but Pablo Loureiro ends the first year as my 'fourth best player' based on the mean of attributes.

---

I am really hoping that, over the next few years, I can continue to build up a base of good prospects to monitor, rather than whole cohorts of potentially poor players. My biggest development success to date has been Maicon, and he's a player who has both had potential and also the ability to feature in the first team.

2024 Serie C

249ec25d23184b3a0c7e566742b6ef0c.png

4253501a2d9ed8545a6d1d6d805bd737.png

00337cab53b784081007a0a3906082fa.png

Some lovely news to end 2024 with as we not only conquered our quarter final demons, we also went all of the way and won the whole competition. The second part of the fixture list starting off in the worst possible way by taking just one point from the first twelve available. However, we only dropped two points in the last five games and that secured our playoff slot with a game left to play.

The quarter final was against second placed Group A side Sampaio, and a nervy 0-0 away just about did enough for us to scrape through with a poor home performance. However, since that moment, with our promotion secured, we ran riot - beating 'bogey' team Ponte Preta and then smashing Gremio 4-0 in the second leg away from home.

It's a massive achievement to get ourselves out of this division so early into the save, especially given the small and, quite frankly, average squad that we have. Serie B will be a tough task but hopefully a few clever signings will keep us around mid-table.

---

d994c2e7e06fce0b5f66ea67adda9166.png

We are still not averaging particularly highly and that is probably due to our massive swings in form. However, we've been much better than last season and, when comparing season to season data, like I've done with Maicon, you can see that we are getting better overall. Joao Pedro and Jaderson were close to double figures and Maicon recorded his best season yet, but, ideally, I'd love my forwards to be on this amount of goals by the end of the state championships, with, essentially, seven teams weaker than ourselves.

--

5d0e07a0677aa3cd2442fdfd4c61de8e.png

Next season is about trying to get as many bonus points in the Carioca against the big four who all remain in Serie A as well as try and survive in Serie B - but look who has joined us...

5ab5adee74ef46994c968d9239024470.png

Sao Paulo!!

2 minutes ago, Nick134 said:

Great work, and a great read! 

Those regen faces are class - where did you download them from! 

They are made by a Twitter user called Chilled Moose and she offers a Patreon source for lots of these. However, there is a few free packs floating about and she recently released another 50. Have a Google for them!

Cosmetic Change

90d3f2c4be6e6914216df46f17805575.png

Finding the whole wall of black text a bit tough on the eyes, so I've just dipped back into the editor that I used to change the kits to invert the colours - giving me nice black text on a gold background.

I'd probably argue that their real life kits were gold and black rather than black and gold, too (except the last one that is strangely very yellow!)

4aaf7501cc871f8fe35489aeffc28a55.png f1e63c00de1cd80c1f3fb415d5fe03ca.png   b4de22b95c83e10e0e2598820683bbf0.png

2025 Taca Guanabara (Turn one) Review

2af7d7d1bd16188fc56cf99ea2d4c04a.png

This is much more like the kind of start to the season I want!

We have been given the toughest hand possible, with all four games against Serie A sides being played away from home - however, we have taken a point from Botafogo and a surprising victory against Fluminese, who have been struggling in the overall table. Following that, we have opened the floodgates somewhat against the lower league sides and, as seen below, it has had a really good impact on the average ratings and the goalscoring of the side:

868d619459a9079c6c9abbaf2b4efae7.png

---

Elsewhere, we finally won our first Copa do Brasil game in my tenure, luckily, on the higher seed rating before comfortably beating ABC to make the third round.

Temptation

adbc114578c58d7350e78028b7e171ba.png

Even with quite fast paced, free flowing Brazilian football, I often find myself wanting to make time for an old fashioned playmaker. I doubt Villanueva will be the one but I'd very much like to be able to 'bring players' home at the end of their careers - particularly ones with a good personality.

7 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Pace of 4?!?!?!  I think I'm faster than that.

25 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

i want proof ! :) 

If you've never had an ageing, charismatic, South American Engache who can't run, you're missing out!

2025 Copa Rio and Copa do Brasil

2afa8681a52f23ff9b6b7f25e78066ad.png

The second turn of the state championship went nearly as well as the first, with a solitary defeat against giants Flamengo, which, in the end, was our only defeat against the big four - which is fantastic progress. We managed to score heavily again with a nice 7-0 away win over struggling Nova Igaucu and it'll now be a case of trying to punish as many lower league teams as we can. Our goalscoring has moved from 1.29 goals/90 to 2.91 goals/90 this season and that's the kind of thing that I'd like to try and focus on - scoring at least four of five against all of the clubs that that have finished this season sixth or lower. 

The Copa do Brasil was a success too, overcoming Serie C side Paysandu before falling to giants Cruzeiro. However, the prize money has been substantial and sees us in the most secure financial position to date in this save.

---

Unlike previous seasons, where we had just 18 competitive games left, we now enter a full 38 game league season in Serie B. I fancy our chances at survival, especially considering the performances that we have put on in the Carioca State, but I am worried about the depth of the squad that we have.

Youth Intake Preview

c30d970f563bbe7043487de1874d644c.png

Another golden generation but, to be fair, I wasn't surprised, given our rise in reputation meaning we are probably more likely to produce better players. However, given the two updates (which have, in reality, definitely come too early to influence this) we may be in a for a decent crop.

Player Development: Kayky Costa

907e62eb2cdcc1e0243c5ac5905b9af5.png

This lad came through the intake in October 2024, some nine months back but has made quite incredible progress for the reserve team and youth team to date. However - attribute wise, he's a bit all over the place:

• Can dribble but can't cross so not a regular winger
  • Can dribble but can't finish so not an inside forward
  • Great technique but can't pass so not a free role out wide
  • Physical but off the ball and positioning is awful so can't be used as a central winger/Mezzala
  • Fast enough to recover but can't tackle to save his life so can't be an offensive wing back.

I think that I am going to use the following regime:

356af5bc42d683a056cb2b46f6c61a73.png

I guess that, as a wide runner he may be useful - stretching the defence and then using his pace to run at them. Once he has the ball, he'll be close enough to either the AM or ST so he can lay it off to them. I will rotate between the crossing and the passing focuses to see if I can get either of those to double figures, which would just about be acceptable.