FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

You're sounding as bad as me there now :lol: The EFL will always give great options.

I'm enjoying Cyprus and far from done there but also have a feeling that when I watch Lorient's return to Ligue 1 tomorrow it may rekindle the desire to pick up with them and go in to my 5th season.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Already getting bored of my AZ save so once I finished the season I will be doing a youth only save with a team I have always had a soft spot for since the 90's and also had my favorite ever FM save with.

Image result for coventry city fc logo

I just need to find a recent data update with Coventry in the Championship.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

On 22/08/2020 at 23:07, warlock said:

Looking ahead, I'll definitely be taking on Wycombe in the Championship, and Harrogate in the EFL. A relegated Norwich should also be a good challenge. And there's so many Championship clubs who should be doing better... Brentford, Forest, Preston. Bournemouth and Watford should be interesting, too.

I keep thinking about all the saves I want to do on FM21 (many of which are EFL clubs), now the season has ended, but I think we are likely going to have to wait till December for the new game... Probably need to get stuck into one more interesting FM20 save to pass the time 🤔

33 minutes ago, Dong21 said:

I keep thinking about all the saves I want to do on FM21 (many of which are EFL clubs), now the season has ended, but I think we are likely going to have to wait till December for the new game... Probably need to get stuck into one more interesting FM20 save to pass the time 🤔

Do a youth only save. I done 6 seasons with Reading sticking to youth only. It keeps you interested more then a normal save.

2 hours ago, Dong21 said:

Probably need to get stuck into one more interesting FM20 save to pass the time

Quoted for truth :). Although in my case, from now to December would be more like 15-20 saves :lol:

image.jpeg.ab1e7497388bc2522ffb91e9b261604e.jpeg

Coventry City Season 1

So after a brief break from the EFL thread I was lured back after thinking about starting a save with Coventry City FC.

Why Coventry you say. Well the reason for me managing them is I had my favorite ever save on FM with Coventry and I have always tried to find a save that kept me as interested as Coventry did but I couldn't find one. 

The closest I had was a save with Burton I had on FM2019 which was really enjoyable but I got Burton promoted after 3 seasons.

The reason why I liked Coventry was I barely left the relegation places in the Championship and the highest league position I got was 16th in Championship one season but mostly I battled to stay in the league.

So here I am on familar ground managing Coventry in the Championship after finding a recent date update.

The squad is very bare as you can imagine but they have a few good players. 

Here are a few of them.

Jodi Jones

image.thumb.png.b12cee3e890a3a1d547e5421578300f8.png

Jodi Jones highly regarded by the Cov fans after signing from Dagenham & Redbridge. 21 years old and will be one of my main players at the club this season.

Wesley Jobello

image.thumb.png.ab39f02bb2892b62b698badf351239e6.png

I can't say I have heard of Jobello but he looks really good with 3 and half start current ability and 4 star potential.

@Jogo Bonito maybe you know of him as he has played in the lower French leagues.

Gervane Kastaner

image.thumb.png.10290477e5921c2e3e1705dcc544c3f0.png

Another unknown to me but looks good. Hopefully the Curacao international striker can bang a few goals in for me.

Callum O'Hare

image.thumb.png.2f0ed29005530f859dddef7d568d20b6.png

I was shocked to see Coventry signed this great young player on a free after Aston Villa released him. I have no idea why Villa got rid of him and also how Coventry managed to sign him but I am very happy. He is my most valued player with a £3.8m value so far so you never know a good season and he might go for good money to a Prem team.

He has 16 in Flair attribute so hopefully the Cov fans will get to see some tekkers by O'Hare.

Dominic Hyam

image.thumb.png.6eefdbba70fbd11939dee99d2c4107c9.png

Hopefully Dominic Hyam will be my Scottish braveheart in the centre of defence who had a very good season last season in real life.

Micheal Rose

image.thumb.png.638a5ccbfdb9e36c9d7dd9fc9a1f23a2.png 

Another Scottish central defender who will form a strong defensive partnership with Hyam.

Fankaty Dabo

image.thumb.png.6dce55b439c2593629a29beba3d66c97.png

Dabo is a very good, fast right back who is too good for Coventry and happy to have him while I can.

Here is my starting line up for my first game against Rotherham

image.thumb.png.327c8f8d19a9736da571897d7789f308.png

Coventry City FC 1st Season Transfers

I managed to get a few decent loans in from Man Utd.

I got 2 Goalies in Nathan Bishop and Matej Kovar,I also got James Garner in on loan as well. He is a quality player.

Other loans in were Cameron John from Wolves and Joe Gelhardt who is highly rated and hopefully will get a few goals for me.

Nathan Bishop

image.thumb.png.04fb9382feca1c7d11f4979d80d73777.png7

Matej Kovar

image.thumb.png.afc42a54181a0bf78d4e320fcd253f8e.png

James Garner

image.thumb.png.63303874ed8e4b7ed25886709f5ae4c5.png

Cameron John

image.thumb.png.d08e5f74b01e00831a74928afc3077d3.png

Joe Gelhardt

image.thumb.png.b353ef1d21c7db3dcc06b08c86aed230.png

8 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Do a youth only save. I done 6 seasons with Reading sticking to youth only. It keeps you interested more then a normal save.

It’s a good suggestion @Ronaldo Beckham. I’m currently playing a United save for a bit of fun and although it’s not youth only, it’s certainly youth focused. 

6 hours ago, warlock said:

Although in my case, from now to December would be more like 15-20 saves :lol:

Haha yes @warlock, you are certainly more prolific than me when it comes to saves! 

I still have a mind to go back and revisit my Bolton career. I got them promoted to the Premier League and then never played it again. I should really give the Prem one crack, after all the hard work to get them there.

6 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

The more saves to follow, the better! I've been quietly following as always. 

Agreed @DefinitelyTaylor. This forum went a bit quiet for a while but great to see it pick back up again recently! 

5 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I also got James Garner in on loan as well. He is a quality player.

Probably my favourite player in FM this year. I've loaned him on a couple of saves, including my Championship-winning season with Brentford as well as at United, and he always seems to perform way above his attributes. Although not shown as his best position, I've found him best as a DLP at DM - his range and accuracy of passing is tremendous.

4 hours ago, Dong21 said:

I should really give the Prem one crack, after all the hard work to get them there

Agreed, and ditto. I've taken a number of clubs up into the PL but never completed a season afterwards. At least one future save in FM20 will be to do that.

6 hours ago, warlock said:

Probably my favourite player in FM this year. I've loaned him on a couple of saves, including my Championship-winning season with Brentford as well as at United, and he always seems to perform way above his attributes. Although not shown as his best position, I've found him best as a DLP at DM - his range and accuracy of passing is tremendous.

Agreed, and ditto. I've taken a number of clubs up into the PL but never completed a season afterwards. At least one future save in FM20 will be to do that.

Yeah Garner is a really good player, I hope he gets some game time for Man Utd this season.

10 hours ago, warlock said:

A great player. I had him for three consecutive seasons - never let me down and won plenty of awards. Definitely one of my favourite players on the game. 

31 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

A great player. I had him for three consecutive seasons - never let me down and won plenty of awards. Definitely one of my favourite players on the game. 

I feel like I am cheating having him and Gelhardt in my team as they are very good and realistically I don't think they would ever play for Coventry.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

I had Garner with Bolton in League 1 - is he good in Prem?

I just survived my first prem Season with Bolton in 15th [ was 17th - with 2 Matches to go! ]. I`m now 6th after 10 Matches 2nd Season, playing youngsters [ some wonderkids ].

Thought I would post about a recent success I've had with Crewe. I pick them because They have had promotions and relegations before but only real notable trophy was a leasing.com in 2013 but fairly well known in England for their youth academy. As I am still yet to get the bottom to top achievement on this year's FM I thought about making it a youth only save but decided against it.

Anyway on review of the squad, they had a few oldies I wasn't interested in and lots and lots of youthful talent. I went for a 4231 control possession with a custom corner and changed the roles for player suitability.

Sweeper keeper defend. Jaaskelainen obviously a great goalkeeping name son of Jussi, amazing keeper.

Wing back defend. Perry Ng captain leader no dramas.

Central defender defend. Got Stefan O'Connor in on loan because Lancashire bit old and at 6ft2 bagged a few goals.

Ball playing defender defend. Did like sass-davies but I got Dom revan in from villa at 6ft4 got 7 goals, beast. 

Wing back attack. Harry Pickering is well too good for this league, 8 goals 8 assists, free kicks, penalties, corners, getting to the byline, peach of a left foot.

Deep lying playmaker defend. Ryan wintle best position was box to box but I needed a sitter with the mezzala and as James Jones liked it too was a steady role.

Mezzala support. Tom Lowery another player well too good for this league. Double figures in assists, both footed mostly left hit a few long rangers top bins and free kicks and corners too almost 20 assists. Rotated with finney

Winger support. Owen dale

Advanced playmaker attack. Will smallbone 

Inside forward attack. Charlie Kirk

Target man support. China anene, 12 goals

I've left all the forward roles pretty blank because after about 18 games they were all chipping in but no where near enough, had a similar problem when I tried a similar 433 at Kaiserslautern to get promoted. The aim was to have runners off a target man and dribbling and wide options. The target man wasn't getting the ball on control possession so all I planned couldn't work but I was still wasn't losing games yet but at Kaiserslautern I messed up a 16 point lead to finish 2nd and I quit the save so this time I made the logical decision to change short passing to mixed and run at defence. Everything clicked 20 clean sheets, won the league by 13 points, only lost 3, to Salford forest green and a tired one at Plymouth. Their first league 2 title and 97 points. All but dale and smallbone in team of the year I got manager of the month twice and manager of the year. 

I am now in September in league 1 made a good start top 9 separated by 3 3 pts and I'm 4th. If you see attached all the oldies have gone and I've adapted the tactic again with ainley starting right wing as an advanced playmaker support and the cam is now gribbin attacking midfielder attack. I nearly lost Pickering but I triggered a clause and the move collapsed after being accepted by the board. The same unfortunately happened with Lowery to Nashville which I couldn't stop but luckily don't move till February. I am trying to not be too over reliant on loans. I wouldn't mind big Dom revan back though. I have great depth and quality now and haven't spent a penny yet. I need to keep an eye out for mezzala now.

Thanks for reading will do another update about the end of the season. 

IMG-20200825-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20200825-WA0002.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Off topic @Jogo Bonito but in real life in case you didn't know Danny Loader has signed for Porto and will play for their B team. I hope it works out for him.

Reading are in shambles recently aint they buddy.

Yes, Loader has gone to their development side. I can't see him making any impression there or ever playing a serious game for them, but good luck to him and hopefully he will in time (or elsewhere).

The Chief Exec at Reading has been moved in to a different role as Vice Chairman and a business friend of the Chinese owners has been appointed in his place. It is also expected that the manager Mark Bowen, who was Sporting Director until being made manager is now going back to his old role, and a new Serbian manager is about to be appointed. They appear to have hastily arranged a pre-season tour to Portugal as the manager would not be able to meet the players before the new season in this country due to quarantine regulations. I'd have preferred by a distance to keep Bowen in the dugout, but apparently he is quite happy to go back to his old role.

The EFL are in control of their transfer policy (like last season) which means they can't complete a pre-agreed deal to convert Ovie Ejaria's loan in to a permanent transfer as the EFL won't allow them to on those previously agreed terms. And they have only made one new signing so far (free transfer Josh Laurent) whilst at least a dozen at the club from last year won't be there any longer.

Some more fanciful rumours are that the Chinese owners will take advantage of FFP (P&S) rules being relaxed by going out and spending a bag load of cash on a rather optimistic promotion bid. The owners are decent folk and put their money in to the club at all sorts of levels, it's just whether they are allowed to do so in the playing squad (or risk the EFL wrath by doing it anyway). An example of the owners intentions surrounds the attempt by Sheffield United to sign John Swift - for FFP they need the cash, but the owner refuses to sell him.

Good improvement recently with Coventry. You should be able to survive comfortably now the corner has been turned.

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Yes, Loader has gone to their development side. I can't see him making any impression there or ever playing a serious game for them, but good luck to him and hopefully he will in time (or elsewhere).

The Chief Exec at Reading has been moved in to a different role as Vice Chairman and a business friend of the Chinese owners has been appointed in his place. It is also expected that the manager Mark Bowen, who was Sporting Director until being made manager is now going back to his old role, and a new Serbian manager is about to be appointed. They appear to have hastily arranged a pre-season tour to Portugal as the manager would not be able to meet the players before the new season in this country due to quarantine regulations. I'd have preferred by a distance to keep Bowen in the dugout, but apparently he is quite happy to go back to his old role.

The EFL are in control of their transfer policy (like last season) which means they can't complete a pre-agreed deal to convert Ovie Ejaria's loan in to a permanent transfer as the EFL won't allow them to on those previously agreed terms. And they have only made one new signing so far (free transfer Josh Laurent) whilst at least a dozen at the club from last year won't be there any longer.

Some more fanciful rumours are that the Chinese owners will take advantage of FFP (P&S) rules being relaxed by going out and spending a bag load of cash on a rather optimistic promotion bid. The owners are decent folk and put their money in to the club at all sorts of levels, it's just whether they are allowed to do so in the playing squad (or risk the EFL wrath by doing it anyway). An example of the owners intentions surrounds the attempt by Sheffield United to sign John Swift - for FFP they need the cash, but the owner refuses to sell him.

Good improvement recently with Coventry. You should be able to survive comfortably now the corner has been turned.

Wow cheers for the information. I hope everything works out with Reading.

Cheers mate yeah I am hoping I have turned the corner and can stay up and build on that.

28 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Wow cheers for the information. I hope everything works out with Reading.

Cheers mate yeah I am hoping I have turned the corner and can stay up and build on that.

Welcome. The fee on Ejaria was rumoured to be £2.5 million which is way under his market value so they will need to find a solution fast if they still want it to be done (which they do). As for the new manager that will probably be announced tomorrow. The future of the club, who knows? Que sera sera.

I had some great long-term saves with Coventry over several versions myself, good to see them on the way back. Glad to see you getting to grips with them now.

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Welcome. The fee on Ejaria was rumoured to be £2.5 million which is way under his market value so they will need to find a solution fast if they still want it to be done (which they do). As for the new manager that will probably be announced tomorrow. The future of the club, who knows? Que sera sera.

I had some great long-term saves with Coventry over several versions myself, good to see them on the way back. Glad to see you getting to grips with them now.

Yeah their finances are rubbish so I got to keep the squad small and get rid of any big wages. I signed Gareth Barry on a free transfer and he has been really good but he is on £9k per week and that seems a lot for Coventry which says it all when any other team £9k a week wouldn't seem that much for any other team.

Tough times ahead.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah their finances are rubbish so I got to keep the squad small and get rid of any big wages. I signed Gareth Barry on a free transfer and he has been really good but he is on £9k per week and that seems a lot for Coventry which says it all when any other team £9k a week wouldn't seem that much for any other team.

Tough times ahead.

Coventry have (for some years now) been excellent at developing their own youth talent. And they have made some potentially (on paper) decent signings for your data update including Dacosta who I had taken to Lorient in the first of my four seasons.

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Coventry have (for some years now) been excellent at developing their own youth talent. And they have made some potentially (on paper) decent signings for your data update including Dacosta who I had taken to Lorient in the first of my four seasons.

Yeah Dacoasta has been ok for me but he moaned about the lack of first team football so I sent him on loan in January.

Yeah Cov have some decent youngsters.

My wage budget is 1/10 of Watfords who are spending £1m a week so that tells you how tough it will be for me.

I hopefully will bring some young players through next season once I stay up.

I got lucky and won a few games in a row. In fact I only lost once in the months of December, January and February.

I even went on a nice FA Cup run but lost 6-0 to Liverpool in the end.

image.thumb.png.fd6783713a51da378f1356c9150a0951.png

Gone on a terrble run of 3 losses in a row in March but hoping to turn it around.

image.thumb.png.b98f6a84c9042275e332a2a5478a6e92.png

I am currently sitting in 15th place. I would be very happy if I stayed there for the rest of the season.

image.thumb.png.6d843f465a786decabcf62d7a182218e.png

Gareth Barry is my version of James Milner. He is old but realiable but he will be leaving after this season as his wages are just too high and I think I am lucky to get one good season out of him anyway.

image.thumb.png.64d5eaf709d67db00fa9237c6fa84ce9.png

My best overall player has been James Garner who has the best average rating. He has also had a few assists.

image.thumb.png.c74bd73dd6a2c8a0da513c090f1e3661.png

Joe Gelhardt is my top scorer with 14 goals. I am hoping to get him to stay on loan for another season but highly doubt he will stay as he should be playing for a lower Prem team at least.

image.thumb.png.76964d762990f7dbf7dddcb8411cbfc2.png

As I said before the finances are rubbish. I was minus £2m but the FA Cup run helped with that and I am now only minus £1.2m

image.thumb.png.a50838dee425bf264df4642e5b192612.png

The projection aint looking too good. I basically got to sell any player I get a half decent price for so everyone is for sale essentially.

image.thumb.png.8e985b1d3a423420e76c4aea0e2b467a.png

My youth intake has produced me a couple of decent players.

image.thumb.png.cf3a3074c53bbf1288fa86eadc2e3d0e.png

Gabriel Owusu-Ansah - Striker and can play on the right wing with 4-5 star potential.

image.thumb.png.6d00667bd77db62bf34bc2bd371b584c.png

Harvey Fergus - GK  with 3-4 and half potential.

image.thumb.png.6f1a654cf12a14d89920012f3dc539d5.png

Nathaniel Mealing - Left back with 3-4 star potential

image.thumb.png.535580a1fd87ccdd01c7ff2483f328b5.png

Steve Forrester - Centre back with 2 - 3 and half star potential

image.thumb.png.d340c2bb197c4a95f74ca9719d409c9d.png

Philip Warlow - Centre midfielder with 2-3 and half star potential.

image.thumb.png.5a24cd8a190018004b1e321380dbbc21.png

Coventry Season 1 Review

As I said in the previous post I managed to avoid relegation which was the target in my first season. I ended up 16th in the league which I am very happy with.

image.thumb.png.2dfcfda21122e29c4609253eaa1bc443.png

On loan striker Joe Gelhardt ended up with 17 goals and 4 assists. He had a decent season for a 17 year old in his first proper season. I am hoping to get him back on loan for the season.

image.thumb.png.1670ce88f3ced290b91a5b81c1d7eec8.png

James Garner was also a good loan signing for me, He got the best average rating. 

image.thumb.png.7bb75bc57170576d41cfea343a460dd5.png

Left back Francis Tabanou was very solid for me with 6 assists and a sold average rating.

image.thumb.png.bb2dbb073a9169b9ba06813f238e7bc6.png

Here is the rest of my squad and how they did.

image.thumb.png.3e5b99434e4b5e622e0342a1cc24636b.png

Awards Time

Joe Gelhardt got the fans player of the season award, followed by James Garner and then Jordan Shipley.

image.thumb.png.43bb46a3f24504c5890f7fdb20242702.png

Toronto FC have gone in for 2 of my biggest valued players in Francis Tabanou and Jodi Jones.

£3m for Tabanou and £5m for Jones. I have to accept these offers for the long future of the club as money is needed to keep the club going.

image.thumb.png.96cc20b051c07564d1dfa494a76bda88.png

image.thumb.png.d2e192aa0ad99e624096d21fc59b37cf.png

Annoyingly Leeds want to give Gelhardt game time and have rejected my loan bid for him. He will leave a big hole up front.

image.thumb.png.aeb8c0493ce4d7e0b4f18f12e09d7fbb.png

I have found a decent replacement for him in Bobby Duncun. I am annoyed about the 40% clause though.

image.thumb.png.97f786d7298c6253406f722b761157dc.png

I managed to convince my feeder club Man Utd to let me loan James Garner for another season only for him to reject the move the git lol.

image.thumb.png.45d086c3d26e1fc5dd033e2ceb416749.png

Bought this legend back to Coventry as Technical Director

image.thumb.png.da4dc16255262a217a8f6d705490d850.png

I got this silky skilled Argentinian winger coming on on a free transfer

image.thumb.png.19fe4fac4d3f318f011f1e456f2f929d.png

I managed to keep Gareth Barry for another season on a reduced wage of just £2.3k a week and he will also be an Under 18's coach.

image.thumb.png.33ec06c5121e9800a7987b63f31dcc87.png

Rubbish Staff attributes but hoping he gets better over time.

image.thumb.png.51b9f2db2783c0179cdef9690e836a8f.png

Well this is annoying, Toronto cancelled both deals for Tabanou and Jones cos they already had 3 Designated players.

Why go for players if you can't sign them lol.

image.thumb.png.176624b1aa7a4771d93e7b80e07113ef.png

The annoying thing about is my board allocated me some of the money when the deal got agreed so now I have a minus £3.7m  transfer budget lol.

image.thumb.png.999220c5691318da340c1476a38a204e.png

image.png

15 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

You can`t trust Canadians - just look at Fifa 20. I said months back, it was strange there were loads of offers from Canada & USA - alot fall through probably.

In anycase, you`re doing a great job, in difficult circumstances.

Cheers buddy. I always enjoy saves with Coventry.

I managed to raid parent club Man Utd for Tahith Chong, Dylan Levitt, Alliou Traore and the returning James Garner.

Tahith Chong

image.thumb.png.58e88406f935e28a0da1ad5e3e5e2154.png

Aliou Traore

image.thumb.png.75a59a09f0acac01271300389809fcdb.png

James Garner

image.thumb.png.95ba8fc01988721b50a6ce35d4c6dffe.png

Dylan Levitt

image.thumb.png.8f00ceaac573dc899432565bda4d4ce2.png

I also signed Jake Clarke-Salter on loan from Chelsea

image.thumb.png.c12f1490b54a4c161a58fb06775cd75b.png

I managed to sign some decent players on free transfers as well.

Juan Cruz

image.thumb.png.4d316af89fef022576bbc174a7367272.png

Dal Varesanovic

image.thumb.png.09fb7757d33f577a67d2a6b40fbcc854.png

I did spend a bit of money as well bringing in Declan John for £275k from Swansea. A decent left who has been capped by Wales.

image.thumb.png.78517219e31148031bb7943c4a778903.png

I also signed 26 year old Kosovo international right back Florent Hadergjonaj

image.thumb.png.53d7c7fa9d03fb3fa3299a8e1a8ddd44.png

I have mentioned it in an earlier post but I also signed Steven Gerrard's cousin Bobby Duncun fron Fiorentina for £700k.

Coventry Season 2 So Far

I started season 2 with 2 victories and I was starting to think of promotion but then got put back into reality with 4 losses in a row and then a draw to finish up August.

Hopefully September will be better.

image.thumb.png.aa73a4b3cae9b108ec243f6ed3e58c21.png

I am currently 11th in the league with 10 points. Overall not too bad but need to get maybe 3 wins in September.

image.thumb.png.aa6690084d64dd16c62034b1fddbcffc.png

Darlington, season 3, May

As we headed into the new year things were looking good. Although our final game of 2021 resulted in a defeat, that looked like a blip against the runaway league leaders - we were, otherwise, in good form. Unfortunately, it wasn't so much a blip as a dark omen:

h88jQkyh.png?1

We were terrible in January as our strikers couldn't score and our defenders couldn't defend... and even when we managed to put 3 past a struggling Solihull we conceded 4 in reply. A strongly worded team meeting followed that performance and appeared to have done the trick. In February and March we recorded 7 wins from 10 games and were firmly back in the playoff places, with an outside chance of the title. And then, inexplicably, we bottled it in April:

gOYA2bqh.png?1

Spineless defeat followed defeat and if not for the fact that teams below us also struggled, we'd have fallen out of the playoff places altogether. The solitary win against Stockport was a dead rubber, as they were already relegated.

Having lost to Harrogate three weeks earlier I was far from optimistic going into the first round playoff against them but we managed to do just enough to take the victory. But in the playoff semi-final against Chester - who had also beaten us in April - we just didn't turn up and we never looked like overturning their lead.

P03xuAEh.png?1

In the grand scheme, a playoff place and finishing 5th was a major improvement for our second season in the National League. If we'd finished strongly to achieve that I'd have been delighted. But to have been in the Top 3 for much of the season, and 2nd for several periods, it feels like a wasted opportunity. Waring, who had been our leading scorer before Christmas, scored just once in the next four months. That he retained his status as winner of most PoM awards is a reflection of the fact that there were very few such awards in 2022.

For the foreseeable, I don't have the stomach for a major rebuild and another attempt at promotion. I have a side save running with Nottingham Forest, which is proving to be much more enjoyable so I'll run with that for a while - update to come at some point over the weekend.

My first full save on FM20 has gone off to a flyer. I've taken my hometown club Newport County up to League One in the first season having won League Two outright. At one point I was 25 games unbeaten using this tactic which, on the face of it, seems very basic but did wonders.

20200829160637_1.thumb.jpg.47ca893d529f3776d0c4207d8337f916.jpg

Hoping to have a solid first season in L1, perhaps sneaking a playoff place. This is my first FM in three years so I'm still getting used to all of the new features but having fun so far.

Edited by griffo94

@warlock A very good effort indeed, unlucky in the end. Hope to see you back at Darlo after a break from it.

@griffo94 Welcome and good work with Newport, nice to see a new club. I managed them briefly a few years back but it's fair to say they don't get much attention in here!

@Ronaldo Beckham You're establishing Coventry nicely, keep it going.

11 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@warlock A very good effort indeed, unlucky in the end. Hope to see you back at Darlo after a break from it.

@griffo94 Welcome and good work with Newport, nice to see a new club. I managed them briefly a few years back but it's fair to say they don't get much attention in here!

@Ronaldo Beckham You're establishing Coventry nicely, keep it going.

Cheers mate much appreciated.

I am currently sitting 14th in the league coming towards the end of January.

image.thumb.png.39346017f9426b93ed26086000bcc366.png

Coventry Season 2 Review

I finished the season in 12th place which was slightly better then last season.

image.thumb.png.f496f048715b243351f37991be021d8f.png

Aliou Traore my on loan winger from Man Utd ended up the season as my top scorer with 17 goals scored and also got 6 assists and 8 Man Of The Match awards. He was a very important player for me. I am hoping to keep him for another season.

image.thumb.png.a2d1338239010ebcf89ed8b9dd98e478.png

James Garner continues to be the anchor of my team and was my best average rating. He also got 5 assists and 3 goals. Another loan player from Man Utd who has been outstanding for me.

image.thumb.png.8c640e905a34c4fa0d2b18c6de634575.png

Getting Man Utd as my parent club continues to pay off when I loaned in Dylan Levitt who got 10 assists for me.

image.thumb.png.ae0d96c35210471c006c691e84cef32f.png 

Here is the rest of my squad.

image.thumb.png.d3627a12ab68d19fb502299416d62893.png

I am leaving my Coventry save to carry on my save with AZ but I will be back soon enough with a season 3 review.

Hi guys,

With multiple challenges attempted and countries managed in, I've decided that with FM20 starting to draw to a close, I'm going back to my most enjoyable save this year. I've returned to Pride Park.

My previous save there began with a solid start initially, but a miserable end to our first season saw us end up 16th. However, a fine second half to season 2 saw us finish 4th, where we agonisingly lost to Watford at Wembley. The third season started well, but an enforced break from FM meant that upon my return, I had lost the spirit of the save.

For those that have painfully read some of my game updates in the past, I'm very much a pragmatist in terms of approaching saves. I don't like to overachieve too much, I like the save to be as realistic as possible, with transfers turned off for the first window and my starting reputation set as low.

This time around, I plan on trying to develop the youngsters as much as I can. The aim for the first season is to avoid a relegation battle whilst handing out plenty of appearances to the likes of Whittaker, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Bogle, Lowe etc. Really excited to get stuck back in to The Rams.