FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

With multiple challenges attempted and countries managed in, I've decided that with FM20 starting to draw to a close, I'm going back to my most enjoyable save this year. I've returned to Pride Park.

This time around, I plan on trying to develop the youngsters as much as I can. The aim for the first season is to avoid a relegation battle whilst handing out plenty of appearances to the likes of Whittaker, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Bogle, Lowe etc. Really excited to get stuck back in to The Rams.

Great stuff, my Derby effort (taking over in League 1 after they got relegated in season 1) never went far as I then had four years with Lorient, but it'sĀ good to see you back and I may very well go back there at some point myself. Good luck second time around.

Nottingham Forest, season 1, October

As mentioned previously, one of my goals was to take a club to the Premiership and stick with it for at least two top flight seasons - first, to survive, second to push on, and then to see whether further development was possible. This is that save. (Full disclosure: I started this over a week ago and have just played through the winter transfer window; I'll get us up to date in the next couple of days).

Forest were chosen because they have a chance of promotion in season 1, but it isn't guaranteed. Media prediction is 6th and the board also demand a playoff place. Second, the squad looks capable of achieving that, but it isn't guaranteed. Although there are number of good players, and a few very good prospects, there are also a number of weaknesses. There are a number of long-term injuries; they start the season with just three fit CBs who include the ageing Michael Dawson (35); only one natural RB with Matty Cash as a decent makeshift option but more at home further forward; only three wide AMs in Joe Lolley, Adama Diakhaby (on loan from Huddersfield), and Sammy Ameobi - all are capable of playing either left or right but with varying degrees of accomplishment (and Ameobi is just flat out not good enough on either side).

There are potential issues up front, too. Lewis Grabban is a decent striker, and he's supported by new signing Nuno Da Costa. Other possibilities include youngster Ty Walker, who the coaches rate as 'a good player for L1', and the perennially disappointing Zach Clough.

Overall, a first choice First Eleven looks capable of beating anyone, but regular rotation will be problematical in some areas and long-term injuries to a striker, fullback or wide attacking midfielder will be disastrous. And there's not muchĀ room financially, with just about Ā£3.5m to spread between transfers and wage demands.

After some consideration, my strategy is as follows: spend as little as possible, hang on until some of the injured players return from injury, take stock in January and see if and how we can improve. To that end, the only transfer business is to bring in James Garner on loan from Manchester United to provide rotation/cover for Ben Watson in the DLP role, one of the vitally important pieces of the 433dm wide system I'll be using exclusively. To provide a fourth body in the AMR/L slots I promote promising youngster Brennan Johnson, a natural AMC (which I won't use) but capable of playing on the left and with the potential to develop well there. Up front, I will rotate Grabban and Da Costa, and pray neither picks up a bad injury but I'm ready to play Walker if absolutely necessary. Clough gets demoted to the u23s and is offered for loan or sale or whatever.

Vamanos, as they rarely say in Nottingham.

AX8CL5vh.png?1

And go we do, flying out of the blocks as Joe Lolley scores our first goal inside 30 seconds of the opening game. We quickly rack up 5 convincing wins in the league, and two Carabao Cup victories. Our only stutter comes on the last day of the month when we fail to break down a stubborn Birmingham side and have to settle for a goalless draw. Happily, September continues in similar vein, with three good league wins and only an expected defeat away to Manchester United in the cup to blot our record.

In summary, we start our campaign with 8 wins and a draw from our first 9 games, It is noĀ surprise that this formĀ quickly propels us to the top of the table, closely pursued by Brentford, as we are tight at the back, creative in midfield and scoringĀ goals for fun. Long may it continue!

20 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

Looking forward to contesting for the Brian Clough trophy with you

Indeed! Hopefully, you'll do better than Mr Cocu who tipped Forest as likely relegation candidates, denounced my confidence as "charming", had his club in the relegation places from day 1, and was seeking new employment before Halloween. He was replaced by Big Sam who, so far, has failed to transform their fortunes.Ā 

I expect you'll do much betterĀ :thup:

Nottingham Forest, season 1, December

At the beginning of October we were sitting at the top of the table with Brentford breathing down our neck. Inevitably, perhaps, Brentford were our next opponents and despite our home advantage we succumbed to a frustrating 0-1 defeat after Bees midfielder Josh Dasilva found the net with a 25-yard drive in the 75th minute. Happily, we quickly put this setback behind us and set off on another unbeaten run that saw us rack up 7 wins and a draw in our next 8 games. Nuno Da Costa revealed himself as the annoying kind of forward who will bag 3 (or 5!) goals in a game, and then do nothing for the next few appearances, but Grabban proved to be a reliable source, and when our forwards were firing blanks the midfield picked up the slack. Equally annoying was the fact that we couldn't shake off the challenge from Brentford - they did slip up against Fulham in the game following our defeat, but then went on an unbeaten run that stretched longer than ours.

It was Fulham that ended our streak as they jumped out to a 2-0 lead inside the opening 30 minutes and a solitary consolation goal from Joao Carvalho the best we could do in reply.

Contrary to my last post, it was our 4-0 demolition of Derby at the end of November that sealed Philip Cocu's fate, so he did survive beyond Halloween, but it was a bleak month for the Rams who lost all five games that month, having won only twice to that point. So we headed in to December holding on to our position at the top of the pile but with a narrowing lead over Brentford of just a couple of points and somewhat better goal difference.

s7KaQ8vh.png?1

Speaking of Carvalho, he had missed the opening weeks of the season with an ankle ligament injury, and was slow to find fitness on his return. This was coupled with the need for him to learn a new position - like Johnson he's a natural AMC but I needed him as an AML. It took him quite a few games to find his feet, such that I was beginning to think he'd have to be moved on, but eventually he started to master the IF role and became one of our better performers, with young Johnson providing cover and rotation.

By this stage I was beginning to get a feel for the squad and started plotting my moves for the January window. But that's for next time...Ā Ā 

Nottingham Forest, January 2020

As we headed towards Christmas things were tickety-boo at the City Ground - top of the league and (the occasional glitch aside) putting together some good results. And December continued in the same vein:

xdk72x8h.png?1

Six games played, no losses and two draws, saw us maintain our narrow lead over Brentford. The sharp-eyed might spot the name of Alex Mighten in that screenshot - the 17-year-old had made a couple of starts with Carvalho out injured and he bagged his first senior goal in dramatic fashion, giving us a last-gasp victory against Stoke. Unfortunately, that and some good performances in his other appearances drew the attention of several Premiership clubs in the January window.

Yes, time for some transfer business. To date, our only move had been to bring in James Garner on loan, and as our results might suggest, I didn't feel the need to do much by way of reinforcement. I did very much want to clear out some of the deadwood as we were - and still are -Ā Ā hemorrhaging money. First out was CB Yohan Benalouane - he'd missed most of the season to this point, my coaches rated him the worst of 5 first-team CBs, he was costing us a fair chunk in wages. He went to Korean outfit Jeonbuk for Ā£600k.Ā  AML Sammy Ameobi was a similar story - not good enough for the Championship, let alone a club with eyes on promotion, so he was sold to Vancouver for Ā£1.2m.

I also decided to terminate a couple of loans. Arijanet Muric had been loaned from Man City as a first-choice GK but was constantly bettered by our own Brice Samba. When Muric started to moan about playing time his days were numbered. And Alfa Semedo, on loan from affiliate Benfica, produced some mediocre performances in central midfield and when Ryan Yates returned from long-term injury it was hard to justify Semedo's continued presence.

All together, these changes produced a net gain of around Ā£2m in fees and saved wages.

I also brought in two new faces. Matty Cash had been useful at RB but his alternate Carl Jenkinson was less reliable. When I spotted another Man United youngster, Ethan Laird, available for loan I snapped him up and he instantly produced some excellent performances. The other signing was a tale of misplaced greed. Liverpool DM Pedro Chirivella was listed for loan and running down his contract. I could - just - have afforded his transfer fee but it seemed like a smart move to sign him on loan with a view to making it permanent in June. He agreed the loan but with the ink barely dry, he also signed a long-term deal withĀ French side Lens. We'll have to enjoy him for the brief period we have him.

Perhaps our best piece of transfer business was fending off the interest from the PL sharks for our brightest young prospects. Offers for Matty Cash (Newcastle), Brennan Johnson (Newcastle and Leicester) and Mighten (Bournemouth, Leicester and Brighton) were all rejected and none of the players objected.

zHgjffJh.png?1

The new year begins with plenty of cause for optimism. Both our main strikers are on course for 20-plus goal seasons, we're solid at the back and have plenty of creative hard work in midfield. What could possibly go wrong?

12 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great updates

Thank you kindlyĀ :thup:

12 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Have you thought about an asymmetrical formation with your AML shifted across one slot?

I hadn't but that's an interesting thought. I might have a little experiment during pre-season. What do you play in central midfield? At the moment I have an AP-att directly behind that slot so I think that would need a bit of a ponder.

19 minutes ago, warlock said:

Thank you kindlyĀ :thup:

I hadn't but that's an interesting thought. I might have a little experiment during pre-season. What do you play in central midfield? At the moment I have an AP-att directly behind that slot so I think that would need a bit of a ponder.

What formation are you using? 4321 (433)? If so, you could push the AML to AMLC, play your natural right winger/inside forward wide at AMR, and perhaps a less attacking midfielder as the left of the three central midfielders so the AMLC doesn't block his natural movements. However if the left of your three central midfielders is left-footed, you would only really be able to shift him to the centre of the three. Hope that makes sense?

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Nottingham Forest, April 2020

RoxhqzEh.png?1

In our last update I asked what could go wrong? Not much, actually. We proceeded through January and February in much the same vein - 11 games without defeat. If there was the merest hint of a cloud on the horizon it was the number of draws we were racking up, but really that would be nitpicking. The only truly annoying result was the 3-3 home draw against Millwall. I've said it before: when you score three times you should really be claiming all three points, but Millwall would not give up. The took the lead, we equalised and then went ahead, they pegged us back, and then on 65 minutes Nuno Da Costa scored our third. As the clock wound down I (and the players) thought it was job done. Until Millwall bagged their third in the 85th minute.

Despite that excellent form, we couldn't shake off Brentford who had developed an irritating habit of scoring in the last 10 minutes to secure points that would otherwise have increased our lead. And then came the horrible news that, at the end of February our top scorer Lewis Grabban broke a toe in training and would miss the whole of March and most of April. The 7-game schedule in February also took its toll on others, as we suffered a string of minor knocks and niggles that forced us to a lot of rotation just when we wanted consistency.

The effects became apparent in March:

UPufF1Ph.png?1

The FA Cup loss to Spurs meant nothing to me - we'd exceded the board's expectations - but performances this month sufferedĀ as the effects of fatigue, rotation and minor injuries became apparent. Da Costa, who had been scoring freely up to this point, hit a barren spell and we relied on defenders and setpieces for most of our goals. Tip 'o the hat to Ty Walker who played supersub to grab us the points against The Owls. And March delivered its final blow with a calf injury to Ethan Laird that would keep him out for the remainder of the season.

That away draw to Fulham didn't look like a bad result at the time, but Brentford added 9pts to their tally, trimming our lead by 2pts. How significant would that be come the end of the season?

5 minutes ago, warlock said:

Nottingham Forest, April 2020

RoxhqzEh.png?1

In our last update I asked what could go wrong? Not much, actually. We proceeded through January and February in much the same vein - 11 games without defeat. If there was the merest hint of a cloud on the horizon it was the number of draws we were racking up, but really that would be nitpicking. The only truly annoying result was the 3-3 home draw against Millwall. I've said it before: when you score three times you should really be claiming all three points, but Millwall would not give up. The took the lead, we equalised and then went ahead, they pegged us back, and then on 65 minutes Nuno Da Costa scored our third. As the clock wound down I (and the players) thought it was job done. Until Millwall bagged their third in the 85th minute.

Despite that excellent form, we couldn't shake off Brentford who had developed an irritating habit of scoring in the last 10 minutes to secure points that would otherwise have increased our lead. And then came the horrible news that, at the end of February our top scorer Lewis Grabban broke a toe in training and would miss the whole of March and most of April. The 7-game schedule in February also took its toll on others, as we suffered a string of minor knocks and niggles that forced us to a lot of rotation just when we wanted consistency.

The effects became apparent in March:

UPufF1Ph.png?1

The FA Cup loss to Spurs meant nothing to me - we'd exceded the board's expectations - but performances this month sufferedĀ as the effects of fatigue, rotation and minor injuries became apparent. Da Costa, who had been scoring freely up to this point, hit a barren spell and we relied on defenders and setpieces for most of our goals. Tip 'o the hat to Ty Walker who played supersub to grab us the points against The Owls. And March delivered its final blow with a calf injury to Ethan Laird that would keep him out for the remainder of the season.

That away draw to Fulham didn't look like a bad result at the time, but Brentford added 9pts to their tally, trimming our lead by 2pts. How significant would that be come the end of the season?

Doing well with Forest mate, Keep up the good work.

image.png.f463a0ed546e1c30fbcf86ab579f7086.png

I made my choice and decided to try make it as hard as possible. My aim is to win the Premiership with Wycombe and only use players from Youth Academy.

No transfers, no loans unless they are already in place in my first season. Just work with what I got and make heroes of these young men.

The only problem is that Wycombe don't have a Reserve team or Under 18's team but hoping to change that soon.

Here is my starting squad.

image.thumb.png.66020f159257217cc2ba471d3974900a.png

image.thumb.png.c0839f71fdbf9936bd574304e583f493.png

On the bright side I got this tank of a man in Adebayo Akinfenwa. Just look at this great specimen.

image.thumb.png.5928a4de7de29a0c01a75faa5edfcda8.pngimage.jpeg.39a7772976b02764c1dbbf4f33db3251.jpegĀ 

I am looking forward to seeing how I do with Wycombe.

I am also not going to use downloaded tactics to make it even harder for me.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Brentford are doing well, but presumably the top-two is a formality for you?

Forest and Brentford have opened up a decent gap between Leeds and Fulham in the playoff places but automatic promotion not yet confirmed.Ā 

3 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Donā€™t let me down @warlock. Ha

Doing my best for youĀ :thup:

Ā 

image.png.b063db09e9f28df64d300b0686fb3a86.png

A decent start to the season. I lost most games but won 2 games in August with a victory over Brentford and Huddesfield which is better then I expected as I was just expecting to lose every game or get a few 0-0's.

image.thumb.png.c53f7a1cfa3ffa462406fa2643036dd5.png

image.thumb.png.195d9ec2f0540dfae93867e9fda78b59.png

The Nigerian Nightmare Adebayo Akinfenwa has not scored yet in the 8 games he has played. The big man needs to start banging in the goals to save Wycombe.

I never knew Akinfenwa was fluent in Lithuanian but apparently he is.

image.thumb.png.599b68f71f3f96368b2d06b9ff111de1.png

image.png.b063db09e9f28df64d300b0686fb3a86.png

Well the last 2 months at Wycombe have been a disaster. I didn't pick up a single win. I got robbed in the last 2 mins of the game against Millwall as I was 2-0 up until they got 2 goals in the 90th and 95th minute. Crushing blow as I really needed that win.

image.thumb.png.18d5fdf10bca5823957b141f805c0234.png

image.thumb.png.15c16d5ca4b8c686c9c7af6e34504ecb.png

This is the tactic I use at the moment. I have tried a few other tactics but they mostly don't flatter the squad I have so this is the best tactic I could think of. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.a4c3b4bf7de3bd5bd6c7322cd5681d68.png

Well, you wanted a challenge! I'd suggest a 433 and perhaps not rely on Akinfenwa so much (use him from the bench). If you don't have three good central midfielders, see if you can drop one to DM. I would look at not going for wing play or overlaps, but would use tighter marking, stay on feet etc. Try to make yourself harder to play against, and perhaps use counter attack. But these are just guesses, good luck.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

9 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Well, you wanted a challenge! I'd suggest a 433 and perhaps not rely on Akinfenwa so much (use him from the bench). If you don't have three good central midfielders, see if you can drop one to DM. I would look at not going for wing play or overlaps, but would use tighter marking, stay on feet etc. Try to make yourself harder to play against, and perhaps use counter attack. But these are just guesses, good luck.

Cheers for the tactical advice Jogo. I will look to implement these changes over the weekend and see how I do.

I don't want to go back to my usual downloaded tactic I use as it makes it unrealistic so I am trying to do my own tactics as I go along.

I will look to play Akinfenwa less as well. Hopefully I will get a wonderkid or 2 in the youth intake lol.

9 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Ā 

This is the tactic I use at the moment. I have tried a few other tactics but they mostly don't flatter the squad I have so this is the best tactic I could think of. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm by no means a tactical genius on this game, as my previous posts will confirm, but I had some sort of success with Sheff Weds using a 4-4-2 in The Championship.Ā 

Again this is just a suggestion, but maybe lowering the tempo (not all the way, standard would do)Ā and not passing in to space will help Akinfenwa have more of an influence as he isn't the most mobile.Ā 

Have a look at opposition too. If they are playing a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 for example, then the ball 'to the flanks' may not be on. If they aren't play high and wide attackers, distributing to your full backs could help you retain possession better and in turn, draw the opposition out and off your wingers.

Also, your instructions are telling the players to play fast and wide, but they've already got that from their roles so to speak. On the left side of your team, you have a WB(A), a BBM that will get forward, a high placed winger and an AF who will look to get in behind and stretch, so it seems quite unbalanced that side.Ā 

On the right side you have an attacking winger, which I believe means he's going to get down that flank and run at his oppo, which means the WB(S) is just going to double up and attack the same space, same as on your left flank andĀ not offer much different other than leave the 2 CB's on their own. With that in mind, overlapping, especially on both flanks, is probably awkward and leaving you vulnerable.Ā 

Maybe something like:

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā AFĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā TM(S)

IW(S)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  CM/BBM(S)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  BWM/CM(D)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā W(A)

FB(A)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā CB(D)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  CB(D)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  FB(S)

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  GK

It should be a bit more of a conservative wing play style. The FB(A) should still get around his LM, who should leave more space playing as a IW. With the right FB on support, he can still cross from a deeper position and not leave your right side free for opposition attackers.

Again, I must stress I'm not claiming to be a tactical expert here mate or that any of this will work, just some things maybe that you could tweak that mightĀ help out.Ā 

I also found as a weaker side in The Championship that the instruction 'Play for set pieces' can be very helpful, especially with a brute like Akinfenwa. If you can set them up to get your CB's in the box too, you could get a foothold in games that way.

Edited by smplfc123

Just now, smplfc123 said:

I'm by no means a tactical genius on this game, as my previous posts will confirm, but I had some sort of success with Sheff Weds using a 4-4-2 in The Championship.Ā 

Again this is just a suggestion, but maybe lowering the tempo (not all the way, standard would do)Ā and not passing in to space will help Akinfenwa have more of an influence as he isn't the most mobile.Ā 

Have a look at opposition too. If they are playing a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 for example, then the ball 'to the flanks' may not be on. If they aren't play high and wide attackers, distributing to your full backs could help you retain possession better and in turn, draw the opposition out and off your wingers.

Also, your instructions are telling the players to play fast and wide, but they've already got that from their roles so to speak. On the left side of your team, you have a WB(A), a BBM that will get forward, a high placed winger and an AF who will look to get in behind and stretch, so it seems quite unbalanced that side.Ā 

On the right side you have an attacking winger, which I believe means he's going to get down that flank and run at his oppo, which means the WB(S) is just going to double up and attack the same space, same as on your left flank andĀ not offer much different other than leave the 2 CB's on their own. With that in mind, overlapping, especially on both flanks, is probably awkward and leaving you vulnerable.Ā 

Maybe something like:

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā AFĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā TM(S)

IW(S)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  CM/BBM(S)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  BWM/CM(D)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā W(A)

FB(A)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā CB(D)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  CB(D)Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  FB(S)

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  GK

It should be a bit more of a conservative wing play style. The FB(A) should still get around his LM, who should leave more space playing as a IW. With the right FB on support, he can still cross from a deeper position and not leave your right side free for opposition attackers.

Again, I must stress I'm not claiming to be a tactical expert here mate or that any of this will work, just some things maybe that you could tweak that mightĀ help out.Ā 

Wow thank you Warlock. I wish I wasn't going out tonight to see how I do with the help you and Jogo have given me lol.

Cheers guys. Lets hope I can turn it around.

I'm not sure if it's a compliment or not that you think I'm @warlock.......:lol:

But no problem at all. It's only this year that I've started to read the tactics forum on this site and it's opened my eyes to so many things I did that didn't really make sense. Again I'm not saying the changes will work, but just another way in which to look at thingsĀ :thup:

@Ronaldo BeckhamĀ I just realized you are in the Championship, guess you are using an updated database. Which one, BTW?

Firstly I would highly recommend you to NOT do a youth only with Wycombe, reason beingĀ 

- they are anyway in a higher league than they should be basis the playing squad
- youth facilities are quite rubbish and it will take you a while to build them upĀ 

Youth only works better lower down the league TBH, as you can play your new-gens straight away and they develop with your team.Ā 

So in short, I would be bringing in some reinforcements in January.Ā 

Now onto your tactics, I agree with @smplfc123Ā that a 442 very much can work well in the Championship. In my previous save I developed a 4-4-2 which is kind of similar to the set-up he recommended. You can see a screenshot below.

442.thumb.jpg.f34e4d72152cf172be51409b47c0dadc.jpg

I also played Targetman instead of PF sometimes and that worked very well too. To get the best out of Akinfenwa though you would need good wingers and ideally a good AF who has some pace about him. Best of luck!

11 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

I'm not sure if it's a compliment or not that you think I'm @warlock.......:lol:

But no problem at all. It's only this year that I've started to read the tactics forum on this site and it's opened my eyes to so many things I did that didn't really make sense. Again I'm not saying the changes will work, but just another way in which to look at thingsĀ :thup:

Sorry mate I am half asleep and I thought I saw Warlock's name on the post. I am sorry buddy and thanks again for the help.

Ā 

9 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

@Ronaldo BeckhamĀ I just realized you are in the Championship, guess you are using an updated database. Which one, BTW?

Firstly I would highly recommend you to NOT do a youth only with Wycombe, reason beingĀ 

- they are anyway in a higher league than they should be basis the playing squad
- youth facilities are quite rubbish and it will take you a while to build them upĀ 

Youth only works better lower down the league TBH, as you can play your new-gens straight away and they develop with your team.Ā 

So in short, I would be bringing in some reinforcements in January.Ā 

Now onto your tactics, I agree with @smplfc123Ā that a 442 very much can work well in the Championship. In my previous save I developed a 4-4-2 which is kind of similar to the set-up he recommended. You can see a screenshot below.

442.thumb.jpg.f34e4d72152cf172be51409b47c0dadc.jpg

I also played Targetman instead of PF sometimes and that worked very well too. To get the best out of Akinfenwa though you would need good wingers and ideally a good AF who has some pace about him. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice buddy. I will look at doing this tactic alongside the way @smplfc123Ā told me to set it up and see how I do.

I am using the newest Pro1 data update which you can find on the editors section on this forum.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Thanks for the advice buddy. I will look at doing this tactic alongside the way @smplfc123Ā told me to set it up and see how I do.

I am using the newest Pro1 data update which you can find on the editors section on this forum.

Nice one, I just got that update as wellĀ :thup:

Still going strong in L1 and so far bang on my predictions of sneaking a playoff place, though if I were to go up I'd be way out of my depth. I've picked up huge wins against the league's big hitters - including Wayne Rooney's Derby - and have improved from a dire,Ā winless November.

Currently trying to pick up some good players that fit my 5-3-2 system - does anyone know of any good, cheap box-to-box midfielders or wingbacks that would be going cheaply in the summer of 2021? Just to add that I only have the UK nations loaded, will look to add more countries as I go.

20200904181655_1.jpg

Edited by griffo94

Thanks everyone for the advice earlier. I have done 3 tactics with everyone's suggestions.

@Jogo BonitoĀ based on what you said and a little twerking here is the tactic I come up with from your advice. If you think there is something you want me to change from what I put cos I aint read you put properly then please say so I can change it to get it right what you put.

image.thumb.png.90529fa43cbfbdf60cad828ea31afde6.png

@smplfc123Ā I have took on board what you said and just added a few instructions but obviously if I got it wrong please point out what you think I should change please.

image.thumb.png.9e9d2c29bcad47414caa07983442ef11.png

Ā Finally @karanhsinghĀ I have tried to get it spot on with yours from the photo you posted so hopefully I done it right from this photo. Thanks again for taking the time to do the tactic and post the screenshot.

image.thumb.png.3267f204fddda3ae6592bf04f7ce6f7e.png

I am going to try each tactic in the next game and see how I do and let you know.

Ā 

So I had Middlesborough away in my next game and tried out the 3 tactics you guys suggested.

Here are the results.

I tried the 4-3-3 tactic that @Jogo BonitoĀ sort of suggestedĀ but I lost 4-1.

I then tried the 4-4-2 tactic that @smplfc123Ā suggest and lost 2-0.

Finally I tried the tactic that @karanhsinghĀ suggested and only lost 1-0Ā 

So moving forward I will keep with the 4-4-2 tactics and switch them about and see what works. The morale in the squad at the moment is rubbish so even the best tactics aren't going to work at the moment.

I really appreciate all your guys help and if you have anymore tactical help/suggestions then please let me know.

Ā 

31 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Thanks everyone for the advice earlier. I have done 3 tactics with everyone's suggestions.

@Jogo BonitoĀ based on what you said and a little twerking here is the tactic I come up with from your advice. If you think there is something you want me to change from what I put cos I aint read you put properly then please say so I can change it to get it right what you put.

image.thumb.png.90529fa43cbfbdf60cad828ea31afde6.png

@smplfc123Ā I have took on board what you said and just added a few instructions but obviously if I got it wrong please point out what you think I should change please.

image.thumb.png.9e9d2c29bcad47414caa07983442ef11.png

Ā Finally @karanhsinghĀ I have tried to get it spot on with yours from the photo you posted so hopefully I done it right from this photo. Thanks again for taking the time to do the tactic and post the screenshot.

image.thumb.png.3267f204fddda3ae6592bf04f7ce6f7e.png

I am going to try each tactic in the next game and see how I do and let you know.

Ā 

I think you got much better advice from the other guys, but just in respect of mine, the 433 should be with two wingers (or inverted wingers/inside forwards) and one central striker. It's too much to have three actual central strikers with Wycombe. And I'd suggest counter-attacking. Also wondering why you don't play Stewart at centre-back instead of Jombati and Jacobson at left-back?

Edited by Jogo Bonito

3 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I think you got much better advice from the other guys, but just in respect of mine, the 433 should be with two wingers (or inverted wingers/inside forwards) and one central striker. It's too much to have three actual central strikers with Wycombe. And I'd suggest counter-attacking. Also wondering why don't play Stewart at centre-back instead of Jombati?

Oh ok I see what you mean now. Sorry for reading it wrong. I usually play Stewart but I think it was cos he was a bit tired before that game with Middlesborough.

Stewart usually plays every game.

image.thumb.png.7f86b4a2c01c4a09737e5199b85d8eab.png

Here is what the team lines up now I understand what you are saying more. I do have it as Counter Attacking unless I haven't got what you said right again lol. Thank you @Jogo Bonito

image.thumb.png.b3d80e02e6062d7d98b24527e6296c1f.png

Good to see you're getting some positive results now @Ronaldo BeckhamĀ 

The only thing I would suggest is to look to see if any of your instructions contradict each other. For example on the 4-4-2 you set up from what I suggested, you've got the keeper distributing over the defence when you've won the ball back, but you've asked the team to hold their shape, meaning it's all down to your AF to create and score off 1 long ball, if you see what I mean? Again I'm not claiming to be right here.

But the biggest suggestion is to keep doing what you're doing and play about until you find roles that suit the way you want to play and ones thatĀ your players are capable of playingĀ :thup:

15 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

Good to see you're getting some positive results now @Ronaldo BeckhamĀ 

The only thing I would suggest is to look to see if any of your instructions contradict each other. For example on the 4-4-2 you set up from what I suggested, you've got the keeper distributing over the defence when you've won the ball back, but you've asked the team to hold their shape, meaning it's all down to your AF to create and score off 1 long ball, if you see what I mean? Again I'm not claiming to be right here.

But the biggest suggestion is to keep doing what you're doing and play about until you find roles that suit the way you want to play and ones thatĀ your players are capable of playingĀ :thup:

Cheers for the advice mate, I have got rid of the Hold Their Shape instruction.

I am having a lot of success with the 4-4-2 tactic Karanhsingh sugggested so I am sticking with that one for now.

Here is how I have done since I changed tactics.

image.thumb.png.a6ce7aba525d9520641d126f01e34dcd.png

Here is where I am in the League in the first week of January. I am 6 points clear of the relegation zone now.

image.thumb.png.8476971d4cee12bb66dcfbb25d9dea75.png

Nottingham Forest, May 2020

tpoLROnh.png?1

Despite a minor slip in March that saw our lead over Brentford narrow to 5pts with 6 games to play (although our superior goal difference was worth an extra point)Ā , we entered the last full month of the season in good spirits and decent form. All that was necessary was to hold our nerve and the Championship title would be ours. Here, then, is the climax, the crescendo, the denoument... the scene where Poirot gathers everyone together in the library and explains the nature of human frailty.

We began the month with a convincing 3-0 victory over Charlton, before heading to London for the big match of the run-in against The Bees. Unfortunately, we got off to a poor start and Brentford were 2-0 up inside 30 minutes. A goal from Da Costa early in the second half gave us hope but we were unable to find an equaliser and the Londoners secured the 3 points.Ā 

With four games to play this is how things stand:

eKZNupyh.png?1

As the screenshot shows, we had at this point already secured promotion - we were playing for the title. We had a 2pt lead, and the advantage of a much better goal difference so the odds were in our favour. and the remaining fixtures were evenly balanced. We had to play a strong Leeds team while Brentford had to face West Brom who were fighting for a playoff place. And we got off to the best possible start, defeating Leeds 2-1. But we came up short against a Barnsley side who had been poor all year but were scrapping for Championship survival and the Yorkshiremen ran out 2-1 winners. Sadly, that opened the door for Brentford who secured a win to leave us 1pt behind with two games to play.

Keen readers wil recall that I mentioned Brentford's habit of scoring crucial goals late in games - that turned out to be the critical factor in deciding the title. Our penultimate game saw us at home to a Stoke side who had nothing but pride to play for, and we jumped into an early lead inside 5 minutes. Meanwhile, Sheffield Wednesday had also taken an early lead against Brentford. We had a hand on the title - until Stoke bagged an equaliser with 7 minutes to go, and Brentford scored a two second half goals, including a 94th minute winner. Which meant we went into the last day of the season needing to win, while we needed Brentford to lose.

For our last game we travelled to Cardiff and produced a good performance, running out 2-0 winners. Meanwhile, Brentford played out their last game against The Baggies who were fighting for a playoff place. And going into the last 10 minutes, West Brom were leading 1-0 and the title was ours. Until the notice flashed up that Bryan Mbeumo had grabbed an equaliser 8 minutes from time to give The Bees the title. Disappointing, but a ultimately a season of great success. We played some excellent football, clocked up some great results,Ā and Forest would begin the 2020/21 season back in the top flight for the first time in 20 years.

In terms of a summer rebuild I didn't think we needed much. A number of older players, including CB Michael Dawson and CM Ben WatsonĀ would see their contracts expire, but I was pretty happy with the squad. The areas that needed attention were the FB positions on both sides but, with a Ā£30m transfer budget, I was confident we could reinforce there, and perhaps bring in some better options in other areas.

As the ancient Greeks might have said, before they destroy you the Gods first make you optimistic.

5 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Cheers for the advice mate, I have got rid of the Hold Their Shape instruction.

I am having a lot of success with the 4-4-2 tactic Karanhsingh sugggested so I am sticking with that one for now

Glad to see! My other advice would now be to sign some playersĀ :lol:

5 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Glad to see! My other advice would now be to sign some playersĀ :lol:

Yeah I have decided to do that as the squad is very small. I aint got much money. I had Ā£250k to spend so looked at mostly loans and cheap bargains.

Here is a screenshot of my signings, I have highlighted the ones I signed in January so far.

Main signing was Jake Forster-Caskey who I signed for Ā£105k from Charlton.

image.thumb.png.faa17e4163b4eebd950ac9f0b5a86168.png