FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

fe660cbea60ebab34efc02cbe7fe53be.png

Great month with some tough games, amazingly we are back top of the league. Maybe promotion is on the cards?! Leeds was tough loss, in truth we took a battering - but their team is class above, coached by one of the best in the business. Fulham was a much more close encounter, but they are basically running a Premier League standard squad in most areas -  especially with Mitrovic up front. We responded throughout the month emphatically. Particularly the Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forest wins - we looked solid at both ends of the pitch. Hugill is really starting to impress with another 6 goals in 5 games this month putting his tally at 15 for the season at the end of November, the nearest competitor has 10. West Ham will certainly be thanking me, his value is going to at its peak when he returns. 

f367c5ae8451c08bc5aa3f80768c5fe7.png

487b8cca7a4147ad38ad79b1327a0e1f.pngf3dc3b5e20172a24a03a78a9a66592be.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MK Dons Season 1 Youth Intake

The most exciting part of the season for me is seeing who the youth intake has for me. 

There is no new Dele Alli in this intake but I wasn't expecting to find someone like that just yet.

So I got 2 very good young players come through and one decent player so 3 overall I will keep and probably wont bother with the rest.

image.thumb.png.154945ac50e8b384c165d32f39719cfc.png 

Josh Sergeant - 16 year old English - Left Back

image.thumb.png.83d5e0470ec01e52b98861310fc84c0d.png

Lee Buchanan - 17 year old English -  Left Winger/ Striker

image.thumb.png.2878578035592b4903da784b3051cc3d.png

Richard Kelsey - 16 year old English - Central Defender/Left Back

image.thumb.png.9f067bdf259956e9c1be6b45046b6e90.png

Buchanan looks the best one out of the 3. I will try give him some game time next season and hope he progresses quickly. He already has decent attributes.

MK Dons Season 1 Review

So I ended up 3rd in the league missing out on Automatic Promotion by 5 goals. 

I then lost 2-1 on aggregate to Ipswich but overall it was a decent season and hopefully my team can build on from this.

image.thumb.png.8d4fe32eeb69924c93a73edf0f4dc332.png

image.thumb.png.796d888d1e0ccd6a9c6983449c3794be.png

Joining me in League 1 next season are Coventry, Barnsley and Wycombe who got relegated from the Championship. 

image.thumb.png.1819224381601e98f8a492bec5f3a1bd.png

Here is the tactic I used for most of the season.

image.thumb.png.36a09cdddbb0be878aa6a6d683675de1.png

My Best Players

My best players were probably Carlton Morris who is on loan from Norwich and will be very missed when he goes at the end of the season. He was my top scorer with 18 goals. 

Carlton Morris

image.thumb.png.0679165e2ed17093ffb388960c080291.png

I will be dependant on 30 year old Kieran Agard next season as Morris will be going back as I want to do this as Youth Only even if I struggle I aint signing or loaning anyone in. He got 15 goals and 8 assists.

Kieran Agard

image.thumb.png.91d24a5c88f40f8f23b93c6f3a4c21a6.png

Scott Fraser the 25 year old Scottish player got 8 goals and 11 assists this season. He was a very important player for me. I am hoping he replicates this form next season.

Scott Fraser

image.thumb.png.acdffd03d2cb9981d25c5b592ff1fc46.png

Another player who I had on loan will be sorely missed in Louis Thompson. The 25 year Welsh player was ever present in midfield for me with an 88% pass completion ratio and 92% tackles completed.

Louis Thompson

image.thumb.png.3bc2a52bc1482a258379c82d129a03a7.png

My final player worth mentioning is former Crystal Palace player Hiram Boateng. He formed a very good midfield partnership with Thompson. He only played 21 games but he got the best average rating and will play more games with Thompson going back.

Hiram Boateng

image.thumb.png.0124459f895531deac8f8e6191112656.png

January 2020 Update - Stoke City

So having been given the task of steering this recent Premier League side away from Championship relegation, I decided to try something new and encourage a more high-pressing style of play. Here's how the results look come the end of the January Transfer Window:

image.thumb.png.826cfe5e6dbb319cc96a9cca27e8b717.png

As you can see we didn't exactly get off to the best of starts as I tried to find a way of implementing my new tactical philosophy. I decided in January, that with Ryan Woods being recalled, I could go back to my preferred set up of a 4-1-4-1 and try implementing the new pressing style from there. As you can see we've only lost one game since then, picking some impressive results and earning ourselves a replay away at Anfield in February in the FA Cup as well. We've only conceded 8 goals in those 13 games since Jan, it's just up the other end that we need a bit more work, but I believe that will come with time and some good recruitment. James McClean has been our stand out player on the LW, with Stephen Ward at LB also excelling. In fact Ward has impressed me so much, I've agreed a 1 year extension, managing to bring his wage down and I fell he'll be good a mentor in helping Tymon settle in to that starting spot next season. 

In terms of transfers during the window, Liam Lindsay is the only departure, sealing a £400k move to Derby. The only incoming deal was Junior Stanislas on loan, with us paying £14k p/w of his wages. I wanted to leave the bigger moves for the summer with us on a decent run of form.

So after that run of results, this is how the table looks:

image.thumb.png.a9e23f4f37f0d3fd1ba098b9821fe823.png

As you can see we've shot up from 22nd, making the board very happy with my initial running of the team. Whilst I do think we have enough about us to kick on and secure a low mid-table finish, I am conscious that we are only 8 points above the relegation zone and a winless month could see us slip back down there. 

One of my main targets looking ahead to next summer is t drastically sort this out:

image.thumb.png.89839ebb52bee744391e0c8e58691fd1.png

For a club struggling towards the bottom and one that needs some investment before being good enough to go up, the wage expenditure is horrific. Diouf will be released from his £65k p/w contract in the summer, but he's the only big earner who's contact expires in 2020. Shawcross doesn't suit our style and is on £55k p/w,  and I'd also be happy for big earners like Clucas, Vokes, Batth and Powell to be shipped out in the summer. 

It's a challenge and rebuild I'm absolutely relishing!

1 minute ago, smplfc123 said:

January 2020 Update - Stoke City

So having been given the task of steering this recent Premier League side away from Championship relegation, I decided to try something new and encourage a more high-pressing style of play. Here's how the results look come the end of the January Transfer Window:

image.thumb.png.826cfe5e6dbb319cc96a9cca27e8b717.png

As you can see we didn't exactly get off to the best of starts as I tried to find a way of implementing my new tactical philosophy. I decided in January, that with Ryan Woods being recalled, I could go back to my preferred set up of a 4-1-4-1 and try implementing the new pressing style from there. As you can see we've only lost one game since then, picking some impressive results and earning ourselves a replay away at Anfield in February in the FA Cup as well. We've only conceded 8 goals in those 13 games since Jan, it's just up the other end that we need a bit more work, but I believe that will come with time and some good recruitment. James McClean has been our stand out player on the LW, with Stephen Ward at LB also excelling. In fact Ward has impressed me so much, I've agreed a 1 year extension, managing to bring his wage down and I fell he'll be good a mentor in helping Tymon settle in to that starting spot next season. 

In terms of transfers during the window, Liam Lindsay is the only departure, sealing a £400k move to Derby. The only incoming deal was Junior Stanislas on loan, with us paying £14k p/w of his wages. I wanted to leave the bigger moves for the summer with us on a decent run of form.

So after that run of results, this is how the table looks:

image.thumb.png.a9e23f4f37f0d3fd1ba098b9821fe823.png

As you can see we've shot up from 22nd, making the board very happy with my initial running of the team. Whilst I do think we have enough about us to kick on and secure a low mid-table finish, I am conscious that we are only 8 points above the relegation zone and a winless month could see us slip back down there. 

One of my main targets looking ahead to next summer is t drastically sort this out:

image.thumb.png.89839ebb52bee744391e0c8e58691fd1.png

For a club struggling towards the bottom and one that needs some investment before being good enough to go up, the wage expenditure is horrific. Diouf will be released from his £65k p/w contract in the summer, but he's the only big earner who's contact expires in 2020. Shawcross doesn't suit our style and is on £55k p/w,  and I'd also be happy for big earners like Clucas, Vokes, Batth and Powell to be shipped out in the summer. 

Wow I can't believe Stoke still have all of these players on high wages. I hope you shift some of the high earners out and get some good prospects in.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Wow I can't believe Stoke still have all of these players on high wages. I hope you shift some of the high earners out and get some good prospects in.

Might have a look at pinching some of those youngsters you've posted about ;)

I've managed to offload Federici to the MLS for £600k and he was on £25k p/w. I've also just agreed a deal that sees Shawcross join Korean club Jeonbuk on loan for 12 months, with them paying his full £55k p/w wage.

Edited by smplfc123

39 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

Might have a look at pinching some of those youngsters you've posted about ;)

I've managed to offload Federici to the MLS for £600k and he was on £25k p/w. I've also just agreed a deal that sees Shawcross join Korean club Jeonbuk on loan for 12 months, with them paying his full £55k p/w wage.

Good bit of business there.

If you are looking for bargains and you have African players loaded then go for Parfait Guiagon as he only cost me £100k and was amazing.

3 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

That's a good turnaround. I'd forgotten the wages nightmare at Stoke, and you had a more difficult job starting in November - I managed to ship out Diouf and a couple of others in the first window.

On a personal note, I've binned the Salford save - I realised I was just repeating my L2 season with Darlington and, if promoted, would just repeat the current season. So I had a stern word with myself about commitment and determination and fired up the parked Forest save. The goal, the resolution, is to stick with it until we win the Champions League, the arrival of FM21, or the heat-death of the sun. Whichever comes first :)

Nottingham Forest, season 2

Promotion to the PL meant a radical overhaul of the playing squad and signing some big name talents. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough money for that so I had to make do with some bargain buys, free signings and loans. Apart from a couple of areas where we really needed strengthening I was prepared to give most of the squad a crack at the top flight; some players had other ideas.

First out was Michael Hefele. The CB wanted a new contract and I didn't think he deserved one. A brief toys-pram incident later and he was off to Blackburn on a £150k a month loan. It was a similar story with striker Nuno Da Costa, except I was very keen to give him a new contract. Unfortunately his agent turned out to be thieving bandit who wanted not just an excessive wage but every add-on clause imaginable - goal bonuses, 20% annual wage rise, minimum fee release clause, relegation release clause, international bonuses, you name it. The total was far beyond what the board would pay and inevitably he was transfer listed. But no-one wanted him. Eventually, he went on a season-long loan to Romania but with three years left on his contract he'll be back. Sadly.

The two players I really wanted to shift, LB Gaetan Bong and DM Samba Sow, proved impossible to move on until January.

So, the in-coming...

As Hefele's replacement I knew I wanted Monaco's Benoit Badiashile, a natural left-footed BPD, and we managed to secure his signature for £4.7m. To fill Da Costa's boots I turned to Rosenborg's Eric Botheim, a striker my scouts rated very highly and looking like a bargain at £3.3m. I'd already extended the loan of James Garner as my first-choice DLP but after I allowed 34-year-old Ben Watson's contract to run down we needed rotation cover. West Ham's Josh Cullen had been released on a free and looked a decent prospect so he was snapped up.  I was unable to renew the loan of Huddersfield AMR Adama Diakhaby but initially planned to field Matty Cash there in rotation with Joe Lolley. But Cash has 'gone native' at RB so I went back to Rosenborg to bring in Carlo Holse for £4.5m. On the other wing, whlle youngster Brennan Johnson had adapted well to the AML role, I wsan't convinced he was up to the job in the PL so Danish hotshot Pione Sisto was signed from Spanish outfit Vigo for £5.75m to provide cover for Joao Carvalho. And with one eye on the expected sale of Bong, I brought in another young Scandinavian, Denmark's Andreas Poulsen for ££4.5m from BMG. Finally, I needed someone to cover Tiago Silva as our creative force in central midfield, but couldn't find a likely candidate at a price we could afford. Eventually I settled on Barcelona's Carles Alena on a season-long loan.

At that point I thought out business was done, but vice-captain CB Tobias Figuerido picked up an injury that meant he would miss the early part of the season, so I went back to the loan market and brought in youngster Lukas Mai from Bayern Munich.

Early form

oVFvNLah.png?1

If I had doubts about our ability to avoid the relegation battle everyone expected, they disappeared as soon as the league kicked off. The opening day draw with Fulham disappointed but we looked competitive, and followed that with a superb win against Mourinho's Spurs. The new signings made an immediate impact, but note the fact that Botheim scored in both of his opening Premier League appearances because you won't see his name again for quite a while.

The end of month defeat against Sheffield United was an indicator that the PL wouldn't be as easy as it seemed.

ug1EkXfh.png?1

If August was brilliant, September was far from it and a battling home draw against leaders Liverpool was the month's only highlight. But our form took an upturn in October and a couple of wins saw us firmly positioned in mid-table.

qci3c5Ch.png?1

In the run-up to Christmas our form was rather mixed. Defeats to Man City and Chelsea were expected, but a superb draw at Old Trafford was bettered by a deserved 1-0 win at Arsenal. The other item of note was Botheim finding the net against City, his first goal in nearly 4 months.

Somehow, despite our struggles in front of goal, we managed to lift ourselves into the top half of the table and ended the year in 9th position, a fantastic achievement given our 19th spot in the wages table, just ahead of Brentford, at £33m a year, less than a third of the wage bill of any of the Top Six.

I've already played through January, but this novel has gone on long enough for now. More tomorrow.

13 hours ago, warlock said:

That's a good turnaround. I'd forgotten the wages nightmare at Stoke, and you had a more difficult job starting in November - I managed to ship out Diouf and a couple of others in the first window.

On a personal note, I've binned the Salford save - I realised I was just repeating my L2 season with Darlington and, if promoted, would just repeat the current season. So I had a stern word with myself about commitment and determination and fired up the parked Forest save. The goal, the resolution, is to stick with it until we win the Champions League, the arrival of FM21, or the heat-death of the sun. Whichever comes first :)

Stern word with yourself :lol:

Great start to life in the premiership though! 

@smplfc123good going at stoke, I didn't realize what a mess the club is in. Seems like an excellent challenge.

@Ronaldo Beckham a good first season from you as well, hopefully promotion incoming next season! 

6 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Stern word with yourself :lol:

Great start to life in the premiership though! 

@smplfc123good going at stoke, I didn't realize what a mess the club is in. Seems like an excellent challenge.

@Ronaldo Beckham a good first season from you as well, hopefully promotion incoming next season! 

image.thumb.png.57fcf5d99be975dde07d24c0c88228a5.png

Thank you buddy. I am currently 6th after 20 league games played. As always I started strong and then my form dipped so I changed tactics and seem to have worked a treat.

MK Dons Youth Intake Season 2

A bit of a disappointing youth intake. Only 1 player I like the look of.

image.thumb.png.03821267e0019c20f2935e5a99b61499.png

Phil Baker

image.thumb.png.ed68802c3641c2a296abac88bc5eea25.png

Phil Baker and his super headband lol. A right winger who can play up front as well. 

I am currently 2nd in the league after 38 games played.

image.thumb.png.c775ee7f9ce811a6bc15a61c6575f0ff.png

I will do a full season review either tonight or tomorrow.

MK Dons Season 2 Review

First of all lets get his out the way.

image.thumb.png.bd8f64e885d74489f0f99f34d307fad9.png

PROMOTION!!!!!

image.thumb.png.b6e99991029bec8ad9564fa5023178ac.png

I managed to get Automatic Promotion in the last game of the season. I don't think I would of been able to handle another play off loss so I am happy I aint got to go through that.

My team performed so well for most of the season. I also had various players step up. Here are a few of them who performed really well.

Ivan Kisekka

image.thumb.png.758e2c00acb684b8d329a8ed862e2139.png

Big Ivan only got 2 goals last season but this season he really stepped up and got 18 goals from 26 games and 14 sub appearances. He is improving all the time and really enjoying the tactic we are playing with.

Hiram Boateng

image.thumb.png.360edeb93b01d00c74aacf9db9c3eedc.png

Hiram has been amazing this season. He has definitely been my best player with 17 goals, 5 assists, 8 Man Of The Match's and the best average rating with 7.44 rating.  He is 25 or else I would of said he is the new Dele Alli.

Sam Nombe

image.thumb.png.ee578eef727828f1f939f8c60203116d.png

Super Sam played well whether it was up front or on the right wing. The 22 year Ivorian player outdone himself even after the great season he had. I feel like I know I will get 10-15 goals a season off him every season and that helped us get automatic promotion.

Jordan Houghton

image.thumb.png.99da357164addb0975c867e3dcbe886b.png

Mr Dependable Jordan Houghton similar to Jordan Henderson who just gets stuck in and does his job well without much fanfare. 7 goals and 8 assists. Another key player doing his bit.

Scott Fraser

image.thumb.png.78a2052aebdbc8ccf5fe9b880c30e74c.png

The 26 year old Scottish midfielder played where he was needed usually on the left wing or in centre of midfield. He always performed well when called upon. 9 goals and 11 assists as well. Joint winner of most assists with Sam Nombe.

David Kasumu

image.thumb.png.161a94ff50bcff0c239431a67cb6cc42.png

Kasumu was my Nigerian midfield enforcer who got the ball off the opposition and then gave it to the more creative players in the team. He had a 92% tackle completion ratio and 88% pass completion ratio. He even got 4 goals and 6 assists.

Honourable Mentions.

Kieran Agard didn't play as much this year but he gets a mention just cos he got a few vital goals including the last game of the season that helped me get Automatic Promotion.

My whole defence deserves a mention as they were very solid at the back with Lee Nichols in goal, Baily Cargill in centre of defense first with Richard Keogh before I sold Keogh and then recently paired up nicely with Regan Poole and then we have Daniel Harvie as my left back who got a few assists and George Williams as my right back who also got a fair few assists.

Transfers Out

I sold Callum Britain after Crystal Palace come for him and I managed to negotiate a £2.5m fee for him with add ons including 25% on his next sale. He has done decent enough at Palace so far so I am hoping in a year or 2 he will go to a bigger club for a good fee to help MK Don's finances as the finances are not looking too good but with going up to the Championship will help with that greatly.

Here is a screenshot of Callum Brittain.

image.thumb.png.0c66f362065c6a31bbf5618c4fa745d2.png

Here is the tactic inspired by the great man Marcelo Biesla.

image.thumb.png.4e03ac6450817f8360cf21ab45ef8e44.png

I am looking forward to the tough challenge ahead of me for next season. I will just be happy to stay up next season. Anything else is a bonus.

I've recently got a new laptop so super excited to finally play the PC version of FM (last one I played was FM15) I'm holding out until November so just been playing the demo. Wow! The game has changed so much. 

I've been managing Burnley, not taking it too seriously as it is only the demo, but so far been very inconsistent. Beat Liverpool, lost to Bournemouth, beat Chelsea, lost to Southampton...  

Edited by Mikey1505

Nottingham Forest, February 2021

Perhaps the biggest news of the January window - certainly for Forest fans - was the outgoing transfer of Joe Lolley. Although he has been a great player for me in other Forest saves, this time around he was consistently poor. Yes, there were occasional flashes of his ability but he'd then go missing for weeks. When we arrived in the Premiership Joe was still stuck in the lower division and he contributed nothing in his appearances this year - no goals, no assists, and an average rating of less than 6.5. When he demanded more game time in November his time was up. For a while no-one seemed interested until Brentford came in on transfer deadline day with a £7.5m offer and he was gone.

I also managed to move on two other players who had no future at the club. LB Gaetan Bong was eventually sold to Swansea for £1m, and midfielder Samba Sow joined Dinamo Moscow for £2.5m.

Two incoming transfers were forced on us by outside events. The first was Brexit and new work permit rules meant we couldn't register loan CB Lukas Mai because his wage was too low. A quick offer to Bayern Munich resulted in an agreement to sign him permanently for £1.7m - since his value is now at £7.75m he looks like a bargain. The second move was prompted by the fact that we had been operating with Brice Samba as first-choice GK, with 34-year-old Costel Pantelimon as backup. But when Samba was called up for the African nations tournament and would miss the whole of January I decided we need another option. A look through the roster of transfer-listed players showed up Igor Rodrigues at SLB, and a quick scouting mission suggested he could do the business for us. He was signed for £500k, was immediately valued at £4.75m, and has already posted 4 clean sheets in 10 appearances.

While all that was going on, games came thick and fast and while results were mixed we did manage some excellent performances. 

J2gC7QEh.png?1

First was an incredible 3-1 win against Man City in the FA Cup, and while the defeat against Liverpool was expected we secured a point against Arsenal before finishing the month with a storming 2-1 away win against Tottenham. Only the FA Cup defeat to Watford, now playing in the Championship, counted as a bad result. February also saw us pick up valuable points with home wins against Fulham and Brighton, while there was no shame in the loss against Chelsea.

SWwvOGih.png?1

All of which sees us enter the final stretch of the season in 8th place, which I think is nothing short of remarkable. Our results have been built on defensive performances and the fact that Botheim leads our scorers with just 8 goals bears witness to our struggles in front of goal. Young James Garner continues to be my favourite player with his laser-guided passing often being the key to our attacks. Badiashile and Mai have been solid in central defence. Apart from the strikers, our weakest area is the FB positions where, despite new signings on both sides, we're getting little offensive contribution and rather too many defensive howlers for my liking.

A late push for the European places is possible but unlikely as we have games against both Manchester clubs and a resurgent Everton to deal with, but a top half finish in a season where no-one expected us to survive will be a brilliant achievement.

26 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

So you took the cash for Lolley, but you don't need the lolly for Cash right?

:lol:

Actually, if Cash doesn't buck his ideas up I will take the lolly. He isn't reliable enough as a RB in the Premiership - gets caught out of position too often - but he's been anonymous when I've played him further forward. He'd be better if we played a back 3 but I don't see me making that change just to accommodate him. Whatever else happens in the summer window my top priority will be to find two good FBs.

9 hours ago, warlock said:

:lol:

Actually, if Cash doesn't buck his ideas up I will take the lolly. He isn't reliable enough as a RB in the Premiership - gets caught out of position too often - but he's been anonymous when I've played him further forward. He'd be better if we played a back 3 but I don't see me making that change just to accommodate him. Whatever else happens in the summer window my top priority will be to find two good FBs.

It's a shame that you can't have the IRL performances of Cash for Forest, as his form for them and move to Villa shows he could be one of your better PL performers. You're right not to change the formation for one player who hasn't performed though.

11 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@warlock You did well in the transfer window, and you're doing great to be that high in the league. So you took the cash for Lolley, but you don't need the lolly for Cash right? You should try and recruit Richard Money to your staff :lol:

@Ronaldo Beckham Congrats on your promotion with MK Dons. 

Cheers Jogo much appreciated buddy.

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

@Ronaldo Beckham congrats on the promotion. I like the look of the newgen striker. Hope he continues to progress.

@warlock that's fantastic work for your first season in the premier league. Here's hoping for a strong finish as well. 

Cheers mate. He has been doing well in the Championship as well so far with 3 goals from 5 games

image.thumb.png.5fb172dd836ac756fe2a425aa291258f.png