FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tom_b said:

Six games in and things are going well. I've only managed to make one signing, James Bailey, who is already our best player. An 18 year old on loan from Colchester, Noah Chilvers, was here when I arrived and also looks decent.  Other than that, everyone looks OK for this level, but no real stand outs. 

Tom Smith is always a lower league player I covet, due to his work rate, ability to score wonder goals and "model citizen" personality.

Jogo, Top `fun` post - oh I wanted to explain !, boo hoo. I rememember this Team well, especially Regis [ since Hayes is just down the road to me ] ; & Cunningham who was a talent with a sad ending. Without Bomber Brown, we may have not had Bryan Robson?. Ron Atkinson, who went onto Man Utd & took Robson, killed his Career in one fail swoop.

I just thought ( wrongly ), that West Brom may not be a challenge to you?.

Bolton update

I had a `tense` time last night, finished 2.20am, but relieved to announce, we "Bolton", got Promoted to the Premier League !!, via the Play-Offs, for the second Season running. Wow, just wow, I still can`t believe it, I am floating. I don`t know what to do?.

When on my laptop later, I can post, if anyone is interested?, I might even do a video??.

Hopefully suffice to say, atm, I beat Palace Away, then Home 1-0, & also Sheff Utd in the Final 1-0.

aaarrgghhh ....... & rest

26 minutes ago, CityAndColour said:

Their current star striker was also rejected by Reading as a youth player and then came through non-league football (Charlie Austin).

Indeed he was! There are a few they allowed to slip through the net (Shandon Baptiste is another recent one they will regret), but most clubs would be like that probably.

I've been ruthless in clearing out most of the highest paid players ahead of my League 1 campaign, and Austin was one of those sacrificed even though he kept my promoted Fulham side up in a rare PL adventure a few years back.

21 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

Jogo, Top `fun` post - oh I wanted to explain !, boo hoo. I rememember this Team well, especially Regis [ since Hayes is just down the road to me ] ; & Cunningham who was a talent with a sad ending. Without Bomber Brown, we may have not had Bryan Robson?. Ron Atkinson, who went onto Man Utd & took Robson, killed his Career in one fail swoop.

I just thought ( wrongly ), that West Brom may not be a challenge to you?.

Ah, sorry Stan, I've stitched you up again!

I agree that Bomber was the type of player that Robson became, then the likes of Lampard etc. I've been to a pre-season friendly at Hayes many years ago, Regis was an awesome player, and yes Laurie was tragically taken from us before his time too.

I never managed West Brom before, but with their home grown youngsters still there after a season of game play, the chance to do so in League 1 couldn't be ignored. At least I know I could get two seasons out of this one!

Congrats on getting Bolton over the line. Yes it must have been tense, but you deserved that!

Edited by Jogo Bonito

1009822879_Vintage2.thumb.jpg.7882171ed87f04103642ba61f0e2f407.jpg

So, having seen that West Bromwich Albion (along with Derby) were somehow relegated in the 2019/20 season which saw my Reading side promoted, I started to consider whether that would be the right team to take on next. West Brom and Derby in League 1 both presented good opportunities as the pair have some exciting young players that could shape the team for the years ahead. Derby had Bogle (since sold), Lowe, Buchanan, Bird, Sibley, Knight and Whittaker - but also had Rooney and I didn't want that. Albion had Ferguson, Field, Harper, Edwards and Leko (plus Sawyers) and also had better kits and colours. Then I stumbled on the fact that 2020 was the 100th year anniversary of Albion's one and only top flight title win, which added  to their appeal.

Having looked at transfer activity during their poor 2019/20 season, I saw that none of the  younger players I wanted to keep had been moved on, and several of the older ones were going to be out of contract and/or retiring. Others that were older and on higher wages would probably be keen to leave rather than play in the third tier, so I thought that with a ruthless approach to squad-trimming, I could get a lean but strong group together in order to meet the board expectations of winning the league in my first year. Here is the club history and kits. My eyes literally light up when I see this away kit, it looks great on the pitch and really takes me back to the glory years of the late 1970's when they wear it.

895073336_WestBromwichAlbion_Profile.thumb.png.253458d5bb7892301501ed7036e329dc.png

655095301_Stadiumandbadge.thumb.png.a149dcb4e22e1d4f990ab2c1ec5cb308.png

Upon accepting the challenge, the first task was to trim the squad size and reduce the wage bill. I knew that these decisions had to be fairly callous, but also knew that with the incoming money from player sales I should be able to attract good players based on the reputation of the club. An added help was that parachute payments were still being received, something that Derby didn't have the luxury of.

The exodus included the retiring Gareth Barry (kept on as a youth coach) and Chris Brunt (sadly without any attributes that made it possible to keep him on the staff). Lee Peltier and Jonathan Bond were amongst those released, whilst all sales were without an obligation to pay any share of the wages, as I absolutely hate that notion. Those major sales are as shown below:

• Kenneth Zohore (£725,000) and Charlie Austin (£3,000,000) both to Swansea
  • Ahmed Hagazi to Shabab Al-Ahli for £1,700,000
  • Mario Vuskovic (a defender signed in the first season) to Burnley for £2,500,000
  • Diogo Amado (a midfielder signed in the first season) to Inter Miami for £2,300,000
  • Kyle Bartley to Minnesota for £875,000 (rising to £950,000)
  • Jake Livermore to Portsmouth for £3,600,000
  • Caleb Taylor to Nottingham Forest for £325,000 (rising to £625,000)
  • Oliver Burke to Norwich for £5,500,000
  • Kamil Grosicki on loan to Sheffield Wednesday with them paying 100% of his wages and £150,000 per month for the privilege

Of course, this meant that there was much activity on incoming players too. This was far more than I would like during one window in usual circumstances, but it had to be done to re-shape the squad ahead of a campaign that would come with lots of pressure and expectation. The incoming deals saw the arrival of loan recruits Jayson Molumby (Brighton), Ben Osborn (Sheffield United), Eric Garcia (Man City) and Conor Gallagher (Chelsea) in addition to the following permanent deals. I'd have loved to get a Cyrille Regis clone to lead my attack, but couldn't really get the replica that I would have preferred:

• Experienced central defender Marc Roberts from Birmingham for £1,900,000 as the club lacked team leaders and experience - he was appointed new vice captain
  • Attacking midfielder Chuks Aneke from Charlton for £450,000 as a bench option - albeit that he came with an injury and hasn't even set foot on the training ground yet
  • Striker Dwight Gayle from Newcastle for £1,300,000 - again he arrived with an injury but he should be dynamite at this level in his second spell at The Hawthorns
  • Fellow striker Scott Hogan from Aston Villa for £3,900,000 - with Gayle injured I knew I needed goals in order to make a strong start to the season 
  • A back-up goalkeeper in the form of Connal Trueman from Birmingham for a bargain £52,000
  • Midfielder George Thorne on a free transfer - the former Academy graduate's promising career stalled due to injuries but he may prove his fitness with the U23 squad
  • Striker Aboubakar Kamara from Fulham for a bargain £1,900,000 - a move I pondered over for some time before deciding that a third striker like AK47 might be needed 
  • The completion of a pre-agreed £8,500,000 deal to sign on-loan attacking midfielder Matheus Pereira from Sporting Lisbon

This left the club with the following 24-man squad, with some capable back-up options in the U23 team such as Alex Palmer (GK), Kane Wilson (DR), Jack Fitzwater (DC), Dara O'Shea (DC), and forward Rayhaan Tulloch. It looks like I only have one right-back, but Nathan Ferguson is perfectly able to play there and will be battling with Darnell Furlong for that shirt. I'd have liked to off-load one of the left-backs (ideally Kieran Gibbs due to age and wage) and had planned to use Ben Osborn in that role but may not need to now. I didn't want to have four loan players and have numerous times agreed a £2,000,000 fee with Sheffield United for Osborn, only for him to spurn every chance to commence contact talks. I've no doubt that if promotion is secured (and they won't retain me if it isn't) he will be willing to join on a permanent basis, and so I will keep trying. George Thorne is included here but will be afforded the whole of the first season to prove his fitness in the U23 squad.

1586443282_WestBromwichAlbion_Players.thumb.png.f12bcea37443ee164410cef1244106e5.png

665054304_Players1.4.thumb.png.c366a3d23eeca2532ff5523e7f3cd60f.png

Pre-season went fairly well despite several key injuries. That has seen Gayle and Aneke missing from action, but more importantly goalkeeper Sam Johnstone also sustained sprained knee ligaments in training on 20th July. That injury has ruled him out for a period of six weeks, leaving Connal Trueman to take the gloves and burden of early-season expectation. 

1244547981_WestBromwichAlbion_Fixtures1.0.thumb.png.a2926cadd229ad458b3882d52fbffd64.png

As this isn't starting up in season 2019/20 it's necessary to show who The Baggies will be competing against this year in League 1. As you can see from the fixture list for the opening day of the season, relegated Derby and Luton are here, along with Ipswich, Coventry, Oxford and Peterborough. This reveals that Portsmouth and Sunderland escaped along with Rotherham.

1695810918_SkyBetLeagueOneFixtures.thumb.png.354cce87729c1589f159b2c8a6faa51d.png

So now it's time to get this show on the road. It's 3.00 pm and it's Saturday afternoon, and newly-promoted Swindon Town are the visitors to The Hawthorns in the season opener. Every game is likely to be a cup final for my opponents, so the fans will need to get this place rocking. Every away game is going to be the same, with our rivals likely to get a full-house against us most weeks too. A slow start is going to see massive pressure heaped on me, and this adventure could be ended before it even starts. I hope that's not the case but time will tell. Boing Boing!

1614687985_Vintage1.thumb.jpg.aba68778eb93a50eff5ff89f9537ad13.jpg

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Love reading about a squad rebuild @Jogo Bonito - Sounds like a fun challenge! I had Leko in League One with Charlton on my long-term FM19 career and I recall he was terrific. The likes of Pereira, Phillips and Gayle should also thrive at this level.

29 minutes ago, Dong21 said:

Love reading about a squad rebuild @Jogo Bonito - Sounds like a fun challenge! I had Leko in League One with Charlton on my long-term FM19 career and I recall he was terrific. The likes of Pereira, Phillips and Gayle should also thrive at this level.

Cheers. Perhaps for a challenge I should have not taken the four loan players which would have given even more starts to the likes of O'Shea, Fitzwater, Field, Harper & even Thorne. I probably could have used Palmer as back-up goalkeeper instead of Trueman, perhaps used Tulloch/Soule as my third choice striker option instead of Kamara, and perhaps I could have avoided signing Aneke altogether. Gayle, Hogan and Roberts were necessary and important signings anyway, but it took quite a lot to get to this stage in October and I'm not starting again! 

I thought more people would be trying to fill the boredom with FM20 but it seems a little quiet at the moment. Hope everyone is safe and well.

Still some good stuff going on in here, and it's great to keep track of it all. I've benched my Dulwich Hamlet save for now to take on the daFuge challenge. I'll return at some point but for now I won't be inundating you with updates.

57 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I thought more people would be trying to fill the boredom with FM20 but it seems a little quiet at the moment.

Yeah I thought this Forum would be swamped in updates, all things considered. I’ve gone on a run of defeats with Bolton which means mid-table is now the best I can hope for. Just need to find the motivation to finish the season, get to the transfer window and then give it another crack. 

32 minutes ago, goonergez said:

Still some good stuff going on in here, and it's great to keep track of it all. I've benched my Dulwich Hamlet save for now to take on the daFuge challenge. I'll return at some point but for now I won't be inundating you with updates.

Hope to see you back soon, always great following your stories.

2 minutes ago, Dong21 said:

Yeah I thought this Forum would be swamped in updates, all things considered. I’ve gone on a run of defeats with Bolton which means mid-table is now the best I can hope for. Just need to find the motivation to finish the season, get to the transfer window and then give it another crack. 

Mid-table is decent, I look forward to reading your update when you're done.

Grimsby Town FC 20/21 Season (January):

After getting promotion, I have been set the task of "Fighting Bravely Against Relegation", something I felt I could do following last season. I didn't want to make many transfers going in or out, only replacing those loanees, or those that weren't good enough.

Transfers Out:

Harry Cardwell - Free - TNS - Didn't play for me as I didn't really rate him. Went out on loan last season to Wrexham and didn't really prove himself in the Conference.

Matt Green - Free - TNS - I wanted him off the wage bill to try and bring in someone better. 

Ahkeem Rose - Loan - Kidderminster - Originally he was going to be around the first team, but I felt he would be better getting a full season out on loan in the Conference.

Josh Benson - returned to Burnley.

Anthony Glennon - returned to Burnley.

Ethan Galbraith - returned to Man Utd.

Oliver Casey - returned to Leeds.

Sam Russell - retired.

Jordan Cook - released - didn't play when out on loan at Southend.

Brandon Buckley - released - youngster not good enough.

Jock Curran - released - youngster not good enough.

Elliot Whitehouse - released - allowed me to bring in better midfielders.

Scott Read - released - allowed me to reinvest in my keepers.

Transfers In:

Dane Massey - Dundalk - 28.5k - will challenge at left back.

James Wilson - Ipswich - 43.5k - needed some experience at centre half from League 1.

Jack Rose - Southampton - free - new back up goalkeeper.

Sam Mantom - Southend - free - new midfielder to challenge the position.

Liam Sercombe - Bristol Rovers - free - new midfielder to challenge the position again.

Amadou Bakayoko - Coventry - free - new target man to challenge with Hanson.

Ethan Galbraith - Man Utd - free - was impressed with him last season, and when the opportunity came up, I snatched it.

Thierry Nevers - Reading - loan - I felt that I needed a versatile winger just to improve the team.

Season so far:

The season started really well, winning two out the first three games, the other being a draw. However, we soon turned to where I felt we would be and currently, we are 15th in the league. So far, we have played 25 league games, only winning 6 of those. Amazingly, we have only lost 6 games too, meaning 13 draws. I feel that we just need to get a few more goals to turn those draws into wins. Still enjoying the save too, which I think is because of not making mass changes.

------------------------------

Grimsby Town FC Honours

2019/20 League Two Champions

1 hour ago, andy_gtfc said:

Grimsby Town FC 20/21 Season (January):

After getting promotion, I have been set the task of "Fighting Bravely Against Relegation", something I felt I could do following last season. I didn't want to make many transfers going in or out, only replacing those loanees, or those that weren't good enough.

The season started really well, winning two out the first three games, the other being a draw. However, we soon turned to where I felt we would be and currently, we are 15th in the league. So far, we have played 25 league games, only winning 6 of those. Amazingly, we have only lost 6 games too, meaning 13 draws. I feel that we just need to get a few more goals to turn those draws into wins. Still enjoying the save too, which I think is because of not making mass changes.

Solid stuff, a season to consolidate is a good thing and you look on track to do that. Who has been the main goal scorer for you?

I had Ogbu doing it for me (as a shadow striker) as it was on the previous database. He got 14 whilst Anene (from Crewe) was my lone striker and got 13. There weren't too many goals in my side despite winning promotion from League 2.

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Solid stuff, a season to consolidate is a good thing and you look on track to do that. Who has been the main goal scorer for you?

I had Ogbu doing it for me (as a shadow striker) as it was on the previous database. He got 14 whilst Anene (from Crewe) was my lone striker and got 13. There weren't too many goals in my side despite winning promotion from League 2.

I think I will have a few seasons of consolidation if I am honest, whilst it builds the finances. Amadou Bakayoko has 6 in 21(9), then Max Wright 29(3), James Hanson 13(13), Thierry Nevers 13(8), Elliot Grandin 11(8), Billy Clarke 18(12) all have 4 goals so the goals certainly are spread just we don't have enough. We have scored 30 in 27 league games.

However, my vision for the club is "Fight bravely against relegation" this season, before trying to become an establish League 1 team by the end of 2023/24, so I do have a few seasons yet.

1 minute ago, andy_gtfc said:

I think I will have a few seasons of consolidation if I am honest, whilst it builds the finances. Amadou Bakayoko has 6 in 21(9), then Max Wright 29(3), James Hanson 13(13), Thierry Nevers 13(8), Elliot Grandin 11(8), Billy Clarke 18(12) all have 4 goals so the goals certainly are spread just we don't have enough. We have scored 30 in 27 league games.

However, my vision for the club is "Fight bravely against relegation" this season, before trying to become an establish League 1 team by the end of 2023/24, so I do have a few seasons yet.

Yeah, understood. Nevers from Reading is a good prospect, so I'm pleased to see him featuring for you. FWIW in my promotion season we scored just 52 in 46 league games (conceding only 36) so I think a strong defence and hardworking midfield is the right way to go with them.

3 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Yeah, understood. Nevers from Reading is a good prospect, so I'm pleased to see him featuring for you. FWIW in my promotion season we scored just 52 in 46 league games (conceding only 36) so I think a strong defence and hardworking midfield is the right way to go with them.

He hasn't been featuring as much as I would have hoped. I think we have a strong defence and midfield, despite it being, in the main, what I had in League 2. It's mainly been Hendrie, Waterfall, Pollock, Garmston, Hessenthaler and Clifton. I've tweaked the formation though, instead of having a flat 3 midfield which worked well last season, changing it to 2 CM and an AM. I had hopes of Wilson and Pollock being my centre halfs at the start of the season, but Wilson picked up an injury ruling him out for a couple of months, so Waterfall slotted back in. I am already thinking about next season and it'll probably be one of Wilson or Waterfall, with the other one leaving. Ludvig Ohman too, is already going to leave so it might give me a chance to overhaul my defence a little, especially as Hewitt and Massey are also out of contract.

1163324075_WBAheader.thumb.png.6bc527eb6b5172d89895df4208a408e9.png

Having completed a substantial summer rebuild, I was extremely confident that I had assembled a strong squad ahead of the 2020/21 League 1 campaign. It needed to be, as the board expected me to win the title and the fans and media probably felt that was a necessity too. However with Derby also relegated, there was no guarantee that I would be up to the challenge. Below is a review of the first part of the season.

773296493_Albionnews.thumb.jpg.c919ce0a1b6d407f79ca57daa49ea019.jpg

As you can see below, the season got off to a cracking start, as I overcame injuries and other obstacles to see my team fly to the top of League 1 with an unbeaten run over the first two months of the campaign. Only a couple of games saw dropped points, ironically both at home. Wins also arrived in all cup competitions. However, take a look behind the green marks and it wasn't always as easy as it seemed. Late goals were required to beat promoted Crawley and Championship side Leeds in the Carabao Cup during August, whilst the home game against MK Dons in September was not the comfortable 3-0 win that it would appear to be. 

For that fixture, I had eight of my 24-man squad unavailable, with seven on international duty at various age groups (Ferguson, Garcia, Ajayi, Sawyers, Molumby, Gayle and Hogan) and one more injured (Gibbs). I ended up deploying an unfit central midfielder Thorne as a makeshift centre-back, and recruited a couple of U23 players for the bench. The most ready option in that group was O'Shea, who would have started as a central defender but was himself away on international duty. This situation has repeated two more times since then, and has caused some difficulty on each occasion. Other notable moments in September saw fantastic 4-0 wins at home to Bristol Rovers when they were second (two late goals made this look easier than it was) and then a 4-0 win away at the side I expected to be the main challengers in Derby (again when they were second). The 5-0 Carabao Cup win over Bradford in between those league wins was the game that saw Dwight Gayle finally get his first goal (from the spot) in his latest spell at the club. Luckily, Scott Hogan had settled in instantly and was proving to be a reliable source of goals throughout.

46787030_WestBromwichFixtures1.1.thumb.png.ad5acb39ae9312a9cadf3d75003c02b1.png

October started more nervously, with a late goal being needed to edge out another promoted side in Forest Green, and after International Hell Part Two prevented me winning at Ipswich, the inevitable happened when Shrewsbury became the first team to defeat my side. The club from Shropshire were 16th at the time, but thoroughly deserved the win due to some very dogged defending. After bouncing back with a 4-0 thumping of Blackpool and a draw with Peterborough, my side finally got dumped out of the Carabao Cup in a commendable 2-1 loss to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Since then it's been six straight victories, but late goals were also needed to see off Coventry (a winner after 90+5 minutes) and Lincoln (after 87 minutes) in the league, and Crawley (88 minutes) in the magnificent Leasing.com Trophy that I love so much. To be fair, even the FA Cup win over non-league Notts County was a struggle, with the second in a 2-0 win only arriving after 83 minutes to wrap the game up.

1968051273_WestBromwichFixtures1.2.thumb.png.0e24f1602336e4c3dd3d1380d25106a2.png

Due to injuries, tiredness (Sawyers wants a rest after virtually every game) and international selection, the squad has been heavily rotated so far with every one of the group starting at least two or three games, and only Ben Osborn with 23 starts due to his versatility in midfield or at left-back has made the starting line up more than 20 times (out of 29 fixtures). The form of Hogan has been consistently good and he leads the way with 16 goals in all competitions, whilst Pereira has 13 assists to his name so far (a fair number from set-pieces). The league table shows the dominance of my team so far, but despite that MK Dons are only six points behind. Derby have played a couple of games less due to international postponements, whereas I decided that successful cup runs would not suit me postponing league fixtures as I didn't want to create a backlog of games. 

805404668_WBAprogress1.thumb.png.83f4c0f79fa620b10e4efd4dbf37f6f6.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Bolton Wanderers - Season 3 - Part 4

Season Review - Underwhelming Ending

294305979_Schedule1.thumb.png.349c242cd7ba1c9833dade2612095394.png

After a red hot January in which we won six out of seven games, not even the biggest pessimist could have predicted what would happen to our form next. February saw four out of six games end in defeat. It is hard to put a finger on why our form fell away so badly. The only tangible thing I can think of is the injury to centre-back Streete which ruled him out for the rest of the season.  The one player who had the right to feel hard done by was striker Stuperavic who hit good form amongst the losses, bagging four goals in four games.

331491237_Schedule2.thumb.png.b900e0f43786ab1b201280f8076662cc.png

We exited the FA Cup in the 5th Round as our out of form players came up against promotion chasing Fulham. Fans finally had something to cheer about when we picked ourselves and won the derby against rivals Blackburn, with the goal even being scored by local lad Ronan Darcy. We drew our other, slightly less significant, derby against Wigan. This was a battling draw as they were the better side. It was disappointing to get thrashed by Sheff Weds, a team I dislike strongly after they pipped us to a few signings in the summer. We ended the month with a draw against Bristol City. The goal was scored by Christian Atsu, a player who has under-performed all season and who I will be looking to sell in the next transfer window.

1801924944_Schedule3.thumb.png.570ee2b7acf0de033ee521aef6b7f794.png

I decided to opt for a tactical switch up going into the last seven games of the season to see if this could lead to an uptick in form. I switched to a back five and then switched, depending on opposition, between a midfield two or three, with either a lone striker or two strikers behind an attacking mid. Clauss repeatedly let me down at RB so I switched Brandon Williams over to the right and brought Brazilian Marlon in at LB. My other LB Boon has the capability to play CB too, so he joined Wright and Lockyer in the back three.

We began April with a 2-0 win against Preston, we dominated our opposition but it was hard to tell if the new formation was a success as the two goals were headers from corners converted by centre-back Lockyer. Likewise the draw against Reading that followed was secured thanks to an own goal. The most impressive of our results in the month was actually a 0-0 as it was a very solid defensive performance against a good Burnley side, especially as Clauss (who I'd given one final chance to) had got sent off after 18 minutes. Our win against already relegated Millwall meant that Stuparevic didn't have two barren months. The two defeats in the month came against two sides who made it to the Championship Playoff Final. Cardiff were the team who went on to get promoted. The fact neither of them thrashed us can probably be classed as a positive.

Table.thumb.png.532efa4dbda63b8a83ebdae22764f2e2.png

We finished 15th with 61 points. This was well above media and board expectations but still feels like a disappointment as we had been doing so well at the end of my last update and I had thought to myself that top half was attainable. There is lots of scope for improvement next season, so I suppose this gives life to the save.

My most important player was Stuparevic, he got the highest average rating for a player who played more than 30 games this season for us, and he delivered an impressive 17 goals. The next highest goalscorer after Stuparevic was Wallem with 8, which perhaps illustrates one of our issues, a lack of goalscorers. The top assistors were Harrop and Fofana with 6 apiece. Harrop didn't play all that often, so that was a decent return for him. James Garner had an average rating of 7 all season, the best return after Stupaervic, so he was a strong contender to win player of the season for us once again. He didn't return any goals, and only got two assists, so perhaps that's an area of his game he needs to work on. 

I'm already looking forward to getting to work on the squad and giving it a shot at finishing higher up next season. Leicester got relegated, along with Swansea and Brentford, so there are going to be some tough opposition in the division - but I like a challenge.

Edited by Dong21

24 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I have a feeling there will be quite a bit of player movement in the summer, good luck with that.

I think you might be right! Regroup, rebuild and let’s go. 

Congrats on your start at the Hawthorns, looks like you’re flying. Hope you can keep it up. 

On 30/03/2020 at 23:18, Dong21 said:

I think you might be right! Regroup, rebuild and let’s go. 

Congrats on your start at the Hawthorns, looks like you’re flying. Hope you can keep it up. 

Cheers, yes going well so far although the board just blocked the transfer of Tyler Walker for £110,000 because at 24 he was not fulfilling their sign players under 23 criteria and was 'at the wrong end of his career'. The board had been talked around a couple of times on other deals, but they wouldn't have it on this occasion. For goodness sake, any board in the country would have seen that as an absolute steal, especially as I will recoup much more than that in sales revenue.

1196252019_WestBromwichAlbion_BoardMeeting.thumb.png.79b69b3e81bcd23ed733e91274aa43df.png

Good luck for the summer and beyond!

Edited by Jogo Bonito

18 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck for the summer and beyond!

The board have dropped the wage budget from £185k per week to £155k per week. They’ve also dropped the percentage I retain from transfers down to 5%. I tried to protest but they’ve said that is non-negotiable. So I’m not sure at this point if I’m going to be able to rebuild... 

37 minutes ago, Dong21 said:

The board have dropped the wage budget from £185k per week to £155k per week. They’ve also dropped the percentage I retain from transfers down to 5%. I tried to protest but they’ve said that is non-negotiable. So I’m not sure at this point if I’m going to be able to rebuild... 

Testing times but I am sure you will find a way to work your magic on the training ground and pitch, whatever resources you are given.

@Jogo Bonito A good start with WBA (international breaks in the lower leagues are a pain in the proverbial aren't they? Boards at any level are another. ) Some decent performances out of Sawyers, even if he's a bit of a lightweight - I've never gotten a tune out of him in previous FMs.

@Dong21 See above regarding boards :mad:. Regardless of whether you stay or go, I hope you find some reward.

I may have a new save. Started last night, still in pre-season but enjoying it so far. If I get into the season proper I'll post an update - club I've never managed before. Hope this one sticks.

37 minutes ago, warlock said:

@Jogo Bonito A good start with WBA (international breaks in the lower leagues are a pain in the proverbial aren't they? Boards at any level are another. ) Some decent performances out of Sawyers, even if he's a bit of a lightweight - I've never gotten a tune out of him in previous FMs.

@Dong21 See above regarding boards :mad:. Regardless of whether you stay or go, I hope you find some reward.

I may have a new save. Started last night, still in pre-season but enjoying it so far. If I get into the season proper I'll post an update - club I've never managed before. Hope this one sticks.

You're not wrong about the boards, it was the same with Ipswich. Yes, Sawyers is doing nicely so far when he wants to play (as captain that isn't ideal).

New save you say? Potentially. Good man, what league may we be talking about, any clues? :)

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

what league may we be talking about, any clues?

L1 but way too good for that level. Kinda sorta somewhat like ipswich. But much more northern. Although not as northern as Sunderland :lol:

Likewise, I think my longest was 1.5 years with Ipswich which was ended when I ruined my laptop. I'm thinking you will be on a bit of a roller coaster ride and updating in segments?

I may be wrong though. Perhaps that would cause trouble at T'Mill.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I'm thinking you will be on a bit of a roller coaster ride and updating in segments?

Ah, no, they're t'other side of the Pennines. Although according to pre-season expectations that team is expected to give us a run for our money.

17 minutes ago, warlock said:

Sorry... I thought you offered one guess, two clues. One of us is confused and it's almost certainly me. :kriss:

We both are :kriss:

I edited my first guess with a second guess. There really is Trouble at T'Mill. Do I need to name them twice my friend? Good choice by the way, I hope you get to start the season and enjoy it.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

12 hours ago, Dong21 said:

Had something similar happened to me in my Crewe save. Get promoted to the Championship and the next thing you know the board cut your wages off by 30K. 🙄 January transfer window is gonna be entertaining 😖

17 hours ago, Dong21 said:

Yes that is why I had to go over the wage budget & always in debt. Hopefully The Prem, if I stay there after 2 Seasons, all debts will be wiped out.

I have been watching a Bolton save online & there is talk of a takeover later on, so saving money - what is the point?.

Hi guys just a quick query as most of you would have experience with this. Playing with Crewe and after winning league 2 in first season things are going really really well in league 1. In September I accepted a  £1.9m bid for one of my star men Tom Lowery and he agreed a move to Nashville and moves in February. The bid was an upfront payment of  £1.5m and  £400k in bonuses and I felt obligated to accept as it's great money for the club and the model of the way I want to work is sell and re-invest the money into the club and the great academy. I have 30% of the fee (500k) going into my transfer budget which happened ok. However the other  £1m didn't go into the 'over all budget' on the finance tab in the home page. When I go to finances and check the money generated from player sales it's still just saying 60k from previous transfer. Is this normal? Will the rest of the money show when the player moves in Feb or what is the situation? Thanks guys!!

7 minutes ago, jacksong96 said:

Hi guys just a quick query as most of you would have experience with this. Playing with Crewe and after winning league 2 in first season things are going really really well in league 1. In September I accepted a  £1.9m bid for one of my star men Tom Lowery and he agreed a move to Nashville and moves in February. The bid was an upfront payment of  £1.5m and  £400k in bonuses and I felt obligated to accept as it's great money for the club and the model of the way I want to work is sell and re-invest the money into the club and the great academy. I have 30% of the fee (500k) going into my transfer budget which happened ok. However the other  £1m didn't go into the 'over all budget' on the finance tab in the home page. When I go to finances and check the money generated from player sales it's still just saying 60k from previous transfer. Is this normal? Will the rest of the money show when the player moves in Feb or what is the situation? Thanks guys!!

Yes. They have provisionally given you 30% to re-invest on transfers knowing they can bank the rest when the sale goes through. 

7 hours ago, jacksong96 said:

Welcome and good luck in League 1. I think @Jean0987654321 might still be managing Crewe too. That's a good deal on Lowery.

Purely coincidental, but I just reached January 2021 and this came in to my news items...

1207156822_RoyRace_News.thumb.png.e34b5430efd37d78dca1d7def14bca4c.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Hungerford Town - Midseason Update

Hungerford_Town_F.C._logo.png

Despite making the playoffs last season, I approached the offseason with a little trepidation. The club continues to sit in the red, meaning I could only get a slight wage budget increase (unlike Tonbridge who doubled my wage budget after the first season). They even waited until the last possible moment to offer me a new contract, due to the financial situation.

Transfers:

Releasing a number of players gave me some room to work with, but also left the squad looking very threadbare, while our inability to attract any players of real quality made it a very challenging summer.

transfersin.thumb.PNG.ebd62f6c8c56bc1333dbddeb3f73875f.PNG

De Boer joined early and has real quality and King has been respectable in goal, but aside from those two, none of my off-season captures have caught the eye. Come the end of October and we were finally able to get some quality up front in Dinanga and he has started well, while Beeden is a monstrous centre half and provides some much-needed depth and competition for places at the back.

The board continue to be "very disappointed" with my handling of the wage budget but I'm not sure how else they expect me to meet their objective of finishing mid-table.

transfersout1.thumb.PNG.fb85532d2f5b2b9797b63bb126d7945e.PNG

transfersout2.thumb.PNG.12e3c9359d7b64065c100f21d0326d12.PNG

Mostly deadwood. Only JonesBatlokwa and Ferdinand made any sort of a contribution last season but none were essential and hence all were sacrificed to free up wages.

The season so far:

We started like a house on fire, winning five of our first seven and drawing the other two through conceding late on. A dull 0-0 at home to Oxford City kicked off a brutal September in which we lost four in a row and got bundled out of the FA Cup by Carshalton, pushing us as low as 12th and to be honest, really struggling to find the net. Summer signing AJ George was the main culprit here, as after scoring on the opening day he hasn't scored since, for club or country (Antigua & Barbuda).

A couple of excellent away results at Weymouth (draw) and Dartford (win) kick-started things again into October, and we enter the festive period hovering on the edge of the playoffs after winning our last three.

midtable.thumb.PNG.e9388b92ae054474a9780e9c4697a563.PNG

You'll note our small goal difference which more illustrates our lack of goals than any sort of defensive issues, however the team has looked a lot more threatening with Dinanga in the side, so I am hopeful that we can at least threaten the top seven come April. It's been a slog though - pretty much every point feels very hard-earned and I'm not really sure where progression will come from with the club's current financial state and reputation.

Grimsby Town FC 20/21 Season:

That's another season finished, where we was "Expected to fight bravely against relegation", but actually, I finished in 11th place. Really pleased, as we only lost 12 games all season, but ended up drawing 19. Potentially, with some better strikers we could have finished higher, but who knows. Overall, we have exceeded expectations and we have had a great year. Let's hope the board don't raise expectations too much or we might start to struggle!

League One: 11th

FA Cup: 1st Round, loss to Rochdale.

Carabao Cup: 2nd Round, loss to Middlesbrough.

Leasing.com Trophy: 2nd Round, loss to Derby.

Here is the analysis...

Goalkeepers:

James McKeown. Played: 50 Conceded: 52 Clean Sheets: 16 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Another solid season from McKeown. Certainly established as one of my first choices.

Jack Rose. Played: 3 Conceded: 4 Clean Sheets: 0 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Very steady back up. Will be back up again, but have competition this season with a youngster that's already been signed.

Defenders:

Luke Waterfall. Played: 41 Goals: 2 Assists: 0 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Would have potentially looked at moving him on before the season started and at January. However, he established himself in defence alongside Pollock and will be staying for next season.

Mattie Pollock Played: 47 Goals: 2 Assists: 2 Contract Expires: 30/6/2024.

Recently has signed a new deal, extending his stay to 2024. This came after Sheffield Utd had Wilder constantly watching him. Although, there is a clause in there, where if I get offered 6.5m, he will leave. One of my first choices.

Ludvig Ohman Played: 3 Goals: 0 Assists: 0 Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Was happy staying as back up, but will be leaving having already agreed a deal to go back to Sweden.

James Wilson Played: 16(4) Goals: 1 Assists: 1 Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Had high hopes for him having been in League 1. Started the first game of the season, before picking up an injury that ruled him out for a while. Don't quite feel that he caught up after that so will be looking at replacing him.

Dane Massey Played: 9(1) Goals: 0 Assists: 3 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Came in as back up to Garmston, but wasn't able to push on and replace him. Is under contract for another season, but if a transfer comes in, I won't begrudge him it. 

Luke Hendrie Played:  41(1) Goals: 1 Assists: 3 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Didn't get as many assists as last season, but still a first teamer. Very happy with him.

Bradley Garmston Played: 44 Goals: 0 Assists: 4 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Another solid season from Garmston, who hasn't quite reached his potential yet. Should be a first teamer again next season.

Elliot Hewitt Played: 9(4) Goals: 0 Assists: 2 Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Very dependable back up, but will be leaving us at the end of the season. No complaints from him or me during the two seasons he has been with us.

Midfielders:

Ethan Galbraith  Played: 5(14) Goals: 1 Assists: 0 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Didn't quite get as many games as I would have hoped, but hoping he pushes on next season.

Jake Hessenthaler  Played: 44(3) Goals: 0 Assists: 3 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Mr Dependable in midfield ticked us over all season. Will be the same again next season.

Harry Clifton Played: 48(2) Goals: 3 Assists: 4 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

One of our own, had a good season, and hasn't quite reached his potential yet. Will be interesting to see his improvement next season.

Liam Sercombe Played: 13(18) Goals: 0 Assists: 2 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Came in as back up and filled in well when required. Will be the same again next season.

Elliot Grandin Played: 12(15) Goals: 5 Assists: 0 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Had better hopes for him this season after the season he had last. Didn't quite get to the same level though. 

Wingers:

Max Wright  Played: 39(10) Goals: 6 Assists: 1 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Only one assist from Max, but I felt that he had a good season. Another dependable player, and one of our own.

James Tilley Played: 39(8) Goals: 4 Assists: 3 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Another steady season for Tilley. Still hasn't reached his potential, so definitely room to improve. His ability to play anywhere across attacking midfield helps.

Thierry Nevers Played: 28(9) Goals: 7 Assists: 3 Loan Expires: 30/6/2021.

Didn't start the season the best, and I began to wonder if I made the right signing. However, a much better second half of the season proved why I signed him and overall a very good season. Wouldn't mind signing him again.

Billy Clarke Played: 29(12) Goals: 5 Assists: 8 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Wasn't going to be first choice for me, but came to fruition when I switched from a flat 3 in midfield to an attacking triangle. However, he has picked up a serious injury towards the end of March, which will rule him out for 7-10 months and retired on 10th April 2021.

Charles Vernam Played: 6(22) Goals: 2 Assists: 2 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Initially I was thinking on loaning him out at the start of the season, but when no-one came in for him, it meant he was staying. Played a good role in being back up, and like Tilley, his versatility helped us throughout the season.

Strikers:

Amadou Bakayoko  Played: 37(10) Goals: 15 Assists: 1 Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Was thinking what I have done when I signed him and the season started... Wasn't scoring goals at all. However, I persevered with him, and once he got one, the goals started coming. 

James Hanson Played: 16(20) Goals: 4 Assists: 1Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Didn't get as many opportunities as he did last season, and will be leaving us at the end of the season. Happy with his contribution for us and won't be forgotten with his goals that took us to League 1.

------------------------------

Grimsby Town FC Honours

2019/20 League Two Champions

Edited by andy_gtfc

2 hours ago, Adamm90 said:

Looking to start a long-term game in League Two, or the Conference. Any recommendations?

Plymouth - Biggest city to never have a top flight side (if you disregard Wakefield)

Crewe - Youth setup.

Bradford - Big stadium, big city. Little success.

Notts County - Restore former greatness.

Would be my suggestions.

17 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

Plymouth - Biggest city to never have a top flight side (if you disregard Wakefield)

Crewe - Youth setup.

Bradford - Big stadium, big city. Little success.

Notts County - Restore former greatness.

Would be my suggestions.

I was actually thinking of Notts County whilst walking the dog. I'll give them a go.

@CityAndColour You're doing a fine job there, despite the restrictions you have to work with. Good luck for the rest of the season.

@andy_gtfc An excellent season with Grimsby to finish 11th and a good update. I like the fact that you have been very restrained in the transfer market and kept many of the original players with just a few tweaks here and there. Good luck in the transfer window, and hopefully you can add one or two players to push on next season. Even if you don't improve, another mid-table finish would be a commendable achievement anyway. Are John Fenty & Ian Fleming still in control?

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@CityAndColour You're doing a fine job there, despite the restrictions you have to work with. Good luck for the rest of the season.

@andy_gtfc An excellent season with Grimsby to finish 11th and a good update. I like the fact that you have been very restrained in the transfer market and kept many of the original players with just a few tweaks here and there. Good luck in the transfer window, and hopefully you can add one or two players to push on next season. Even if you don't improve, another mid-table finish would be a commendable achievement anyway. Are John Fenty & Ian Fleming still in control?

I am trying to keep it as close to original as I can which is why I think I am enjoying the save so much. Normally, I make a load of transfers and then lose interest quickly. I've released a few players now that didn't really play much over the couple of years, and started to make some signings, some as back up, but one or two which will go straight into the first team and improve it. 

Originally, the board wanted me to try and avoid relegation again, but once the new season started, it changed to midtable, so I will try and get there again. 

Fenty and Fleming are no longer in control. I got a new takeover at the start of the last season, so this will be my second season under the new regime. One of the first things I did though before Fenty left was get him to give me a new deal and have it automatically extend if we got promoted for a further two years, so currently, my deal ends in 2024. 

That makes sense on the signings, quality over quantity. I also had a takeover at Grimsby, which was a shame as I liked having them in charge. Actually their departure probably persuaded me to stop after my League 2 promotion. 

It's good to have a long-term deal, but as we know contracts in football mean nothing. Unless they are doing so bad financially that they really can't survive if they give you the boot, in most cases if you're not doing well you'll be out of a job. At least you'll get the benefits of good compo though :lol:

I'm sure you'll get mid-table or better, keep up the good work.

Edited by Jogo Bonito