Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

I really hope the next patch will make the game better, its really broken and I am not sure how anyone can defend how incredible dull and unrealistic the match engine is. 

I played a full season Betis reaching 3rd place so my tactic is obviously working but I scored exactly 1 goal after a passing move, even though my team is setup to play combination football. 

I scored by penalties and set pieces or random shots despite having one of the smallest teams in the league. 

I also press high and didnt concede a single goal by a  counter attack, only by set pieces or crosses. 

This is frankly completely ridiculous and for me game breaking, if the next patch does not fix that I will not buy the next fm. 

I think the new defensive width and line of engagement features gimped the offensively limited me and bascially broke the match engine, how Si can release the game with such a game breaking feature is beyond me. 

I wish I could post all pkms from my season if someone wants evidence but can only post the last 5 or six as the game makes this impossible for some reason. 

So the million dollar question :

In the winter patch we will get ME update? what do you guys think? 

An honest question to SI programmers. Do you think there is a problem with the Strikers' involvement in the matches? My strikers are scoring but do not participate in other situations. The average of my main Striker (complete forward) is 9 passes. I don't think this is normal

Putting out a suggestion for SI. I've seen alot of sadness of players who can't enjoy the game and failing winning their games. So ...

As they have a visual image for the different tactic styles, they should do the same for the different TI's and if possible also for the PI's. As in that way you really could know what your team will do 

when you click something and to understand the instructions you give your team in a better and easy way without going desperate clicking every possible instruction.

We can read the instructions or what kind of role it is or even the explanations but if you don't use watching the whole game you can hardly see what it does or where it goes wrong. 

So i really think it would be helpfull if they put out visual images for every TI (PI and even roles) it would be much clearly of what it would do in your tactic in the match. How you guys think about something like this...? 

Edited by f.zaarour

3 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

Putting out a suggestion for SI. I've seen alot of sadness of players who can't enjoy the game and failing winning their games. So ...

As they have a visual image for the different tactic styles, they should do the same for the different TI's and if possible also for the PI's. As in that way you really could know what your team will do 

when you click something and to understand the instructions you give your team in a better and easy way without going desperate clicking every possible instruction.

We can read the instructions or what kind of role it is or even the explanations but if you don't use watching the whole game you can hardly see what it does or where it goes wrong. 

So i really think it would be helpfull if they put out visual images for every TI (PI and even roles) it would be much clearly of what it would do in your tactic in the match. How you guys think about something like this...? 

Well, that would be helpful for a lot of people, but it will turn out to be a disappointment if nothing else changes since tactics don't really do what they promise right now. Long story short: It's no solution at the moment.

I'm sure many who can't enjoy this game actually know what they're doing and understand what the tactical instructions do, but the game doesn't really translate them the way it should. You just have to take a look at all these successful exploit tactics which hurt FM's credibility and absolutely make no sense. This game doesn't reward logical tactical setups as often as it should. There are simpy too many things that are out of control. It's tiring to create an attack-heavy tactic just to end up with amazing defensive achievements and just a boring, low amount of attacking plays. It's like you get something totally different opposed to what you really created.

I won't say this game is broken. It rather contains lots of fundamentally unacceptable inconsistencies.

Edited by gonefading

10 hours ago, thejay said:

I really hope the next patch will make the game better, its really broken and I am not sure how anyone can defend how incredible dull and unrealistic the match engine is. 

I played a full season Betis reaching 3rd place so my tactic is obviously working but I scored exactly 1 goal after a passing move, even though my team is setup to play combination football. 

I scored by penalties and set pieces or random shots despite having one of the smallest teams in the league. 

I also press high and didnt concede a single goal by a  counter attack, only by set pieces or crosses. 

This is frankly completely ridiculous and for me game breaking, if the next patch does not fix that I will not buy the next fm. 

I think the new defensive width and line of engagement features gimped the offensively limited me and bascially broke the match engine, how Si can release the game with such a game breaking feature is beyond me. 

I wish I could post all pkms from my season if someone wants evidence but can only post the last 5 or six as the game makes this impossible for some reason. 

100%. Next patch better be a game changer for me or thats me out of FM for good as i've been frustrated with this series for the last 3 years now. FM20 has to be the dullest most boring version yet, cant get a long term save going as results are unrealistic - feels too ramdom now.

Edited by theeyeofthetiger

10 hours ago, thejay said:

Did you also experience very defensive being able to hold on to the ball for almost forever despite pressing them? Like they accumulate over 600 passes by mainly passing around in their last third. For me that is game breaking. I have no problem with teams who tries to go for the 0-0 abd have 11 players behind the ball as that is a trend in modern football because of the gap between the really good teams and those under has become bigger. But, them being able to pass like Pep's Barca in their own half, even under great pressure, is so broken. SI has acknowledged that though and are working on a fix.

My greatest critique on this game and the last one is that the matches you watch are very dull to watch - mainly because of very defensive teams - and almost no open play goals. Most of the good stuff happens during a transition. I know this is very subjective though. 

vor 58 Minuten schrieb Gegenklaus:

Did you also experience very defensive being able to hold on to the ball for almost forever despite pressing them? Like they accumulate over 600 passes by mainly passing around in their last third. For me that is game breaking. I have no problem with teams who tries to go for the 0-0 abd have 11 players behind the ball as that is a trend in modern football because of the gap between the really good teams and those under has become bigger. But, them being able to pass like Pep's Barca in their own half, even under great pressure, is so broken. SI has acknowledged that though and are working on a fix.

My greatest critique on this game and the last one is that the matches you watch are very dull to watch - mainly because of very defensive teams - and almost no open play goals. Most of the good stuff happens during a transition. I know this is very subjective though. 

I press as high and agressive as possible so I manage to win the ball sometimes when they pass it around. 

But I never get punished by a counter attack for it despite my players pressing at times all over the place with two players attacking one at the same time regularly. 

Somehow the me is made to always play wide for the cross which also most of the time is crossed into the feet of the defender 

Realistically, there isn't much that SI can do with the next patch. SI are not a huge, monolithic games developer; they are, relatively speaking, a small team and part of that small team will already be working on FM21. That is the downside of a yearly release schedule. Call of Duty can get away with it because they farm development out to different teams, alternating each year (as well as having very large teams of developers). SI do not have that luxury.

By setting an artificial deadline, you are setting the expectation that the game must be released on a certain date, come hell or high water and we are seeing the results of that this year. If I am being honest, I don't think FM20 should have been released in the state it was; there were and still are numerous and obvious bugs that, under a 'normal' release schedule, would have been picked up and fixed at the cost of delaying the game release. By sticking to a yearly release schedule, major bugs picked up by the test team that can't be fixed in the timeframe prior to release, means the game has to be release no matter what and the team have to scramble to retrospectively patch the engine after release. This has worked in the past when the ME flaws have not been so fundamental or groundbreaking but in this year's version, it looks like the ME flaws are too complex to simply fix with a post-release patch. It's hugely disappointing to me, as a consumer but I understand it, if not like it, because I realise that SI are wedded to and dependent financially as company upon getting a yearly version of the game in the shops.

TLDR: There is only so much that can be done both in the time available and with the resources (i.e. people) to do it. I expect most of the development team are already hard at work on FM21 given it is due to be released later this year so I wouldn't hang your hopes on the next patch being the proverbial silver bullet.

FM has its flaws but some people want the game to be something which is not realistic.

The game needs you to react to what happens on a pitch. Sometimes the pressing doesnt work, sometimes you cant keep posession etc. But you can make adjustments to increase your chances of winning.

In my second year with Bilbao, despite losing a key player and not having a replacement i got the double, in my third year, with academy youngsters playing a lot i won the triple. I did not play a game-breaking style, nothing special, i had a basic style, a 5-2-1-2 system and and adjusted with only a few changes during the games, to get the best results. Every overspecialized tactic is prone to being exposed, as is the case in real life. Madrid didnt play any incredible outlandish tactic when they won their CL's.

12 hours ago, Maldini's Heir said:

Lose a game...reload [once and I] win it is more like it.

Anyway I think you're missing the point. The thing that caused me to switch off was my team scoring three goals of the season in one game......

I can't watch my team constantly score goals of the season.

Since I win far more than I lose, it's the winning that hurts the most. The losing is usually just farcical but the winning I find even more painful!

I don't think I've missed the point. As I understood it, you were implying that you couldn't influence what was happening on the pitch with your tactics because of the ME. I disagreed with this notion as in my experience with FM20 I can see the result of tactical changes I make on the way my team plays. My experience with the game doesn't correlate with yours, if what you're observing is the result solely of ME issues then it should be affecting everyone and it doesn't. For e.g. the one on one issue and wide players taking shots from rakish angles did impact my game (although with patches has been reduced significantly) whereas I don't score long shots with the frequency you do.

You can play the game however you like, if you want to reload that's your prerogative, I'm not judging. My point was that playing the game in that way is only going to leave you feeling frustrated. It also doesn't teach you anything about how to overcome difficulties faced during a game irregardless of whether your team is being successful or not.

The reason why your team could be scoring all those long range shots could be a result of your team exploiting the only space they get when attacking teams (in the golden zone). If the opposition doesn't engage your players in that area because they are being pinned back by your attacking midfielders and strikers then that will grant space to your central midfielders. If there are no viable forward passing options for your central midfielders they will have a shot and if they are at least partially competent at doing that then there is a fair chance that one of those shots during a game will hit the back of the net.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Nikopol said:

FM has its flaws but some people want the game to be something which is not realistic.

The game needs you to react to what happens on a pitch. Sometimes the pressing doesnt work, sometimes you cant keep posession etc. But you can make adjustments to increase your chances of winning.

In my second year with Bilbao, despite losing a key player and not having a replacement i got the double, in my third year, with academy youngsters playing a lot i won the triple. I did not play a game-breaking style, nothing special, i had a basic style, a 5-2-1-2 system and and adjusted with only a few changes during the games, to get the best results. Every overspecialized tactic is prone to being exposed, as is the case in real life. Madrid didnt play any incredible outlandish tactic when they won their CL's.

I sole heartedly agree with your statement and i've been doing that alot since i've started, however, i've seen alot of streamers do the opposite and get the same results in terms of promotions/winning trophies. One stream I watch almost religiously is one with farsley celtic on FM scout. 442 2 wingers on attack, 2 strikers on AF roles and 1dlp, 1b2b. Attacking mentality, usually short passing, counter attack/counter press, high LOE and defensive line. He took them where they were to the PL consecutively, won the prem 2nd season in PL.

Barely changed a thing apart from mentality to very attacking or defensive if in latter minutes of the game. had some faults here and there and players wern't the best for consecutive promotions but it happened... that shouldn't happen if that was the case, also the tactic in reality would never work, 4 attacking players, 1 trying to run the game, while the other is trying to do everything leaving 4/5 at the back essentially, seems very odd that would work. Should be punished quite often infact, especially at the start of the save. His rep barely went up so gunning for loans with little money should've really hampered him but nope, it fit right for him. And it's not a ME breaking tactic either, can't handle top opposition games at all yet somehow he wins the prem?

Just a thought, it is one case, but those cases collectively will have increased into a bigger sample size, just shows the depth of how much work needs doing on the ME to be balanced