International Clubs: Suggested Squad Selection from Asst. can be Ridiculous

I just finished a 4 years stint coaching Italy. I'm wondering if it makes a difference who one chooses as an Assistant Manager with regards to their suggestions on who to put in the squad. My assistant had pretty good credentials but some of his recommendations were just plain asinine.

I always play a 442. He was usually recommending something like only 2 Strikers and 10 MC? Suggesting I add a Striker that was once an Italian hero but now way past his prime and has only played a total of 17 games the last two years for his club? Seriously, I could throw a dart at a selection board blindfolded and could have come up with a stronger squad. 

After being so tired of his selections, I had to cheat using the Editor and find some Attackers with decent CA who would never had gotten at sniff senior International football for YEARS if I didn't call them up myself. 

So is this a problem for ALL International teams?  I've only coached Italy in FM 19.

My assistant's profile:

Mariner.thumb.png.6593232039bcf65b612921601a26be50.png

Thanks

He's likely suggesting it because his preferred formation, as shown, is a 4-1-4-1 DM formation, so he's suggesting players based on his preferred tactic, which would include several CMs/CDMs, and only a few strikers due to only having one up front in his formation.

Well, your AssMan is hardly a world-class one (and honestly his attributes seem a bit too high anyway) so I woulnd't be surprised by a guy who has only worked at a relegation battle leve to come up with top-level suggestions for your call-ups.

Anyway, most suggestions are based on CA/Reputation, meaning a past-his-prime player with a high enough Rep and still a decent CA will pop up among the potential call-ups even though his performances have been poor (if he's been playing at all).
I haven't managed internationally on FM19 yet, but in older iterations I regularly ignored my AssMan's recommendations... And even the media laughed at some of my call-ups because the game can't really look past Reputation in international football.

TBF, the whole international management is such a half-baked and neglected feature...

Thanks for the replies.

I fired the assistant I inherited because his credentials were far worse. Maraner appeared to be the most qualified off those who applied.  I can understand the player choice based on his preferred formation but many were on previous rep and not current ability. 

No doubt SI could put more effort into this part of FM. 

I think when I first became England boss the incumbent assistant always wanted to call up Daniel Sturridge, despite him having lost all his pace and was rotting in a reserve team. I agree with above though, there should be a some serious time investment. The process of new players not entering the pool automatically really enhances these issues.

If you don't want that player constantly being suggested/called up, just remove them from the national pool, it sorted my Sturridge issue.

SI's never put a great deal into international management, but you really ought to be picking the side yourself anyway...

Ignoring good but uncapped players and picking over-the-hill players for "experience" isn't an unusual thing in real life anyway.

On 31/03/2019 at 14:06, Heywood JaBlowme said:

No doubt SI could put more effort into this part of FM. 

As hinted by enigmatic, it's more a case of you needing to put in more effort. I doubt they programmed it with people not picking their own squad in mind.

How on earth can you not play the game not knowing who your best players are as Italy? Five minutes looking through squads and league stats a few times a season would show you any up and coming players. 

15 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

As hinted by enigmatic, it's more a case of you needing to put in more effort

It's heavily both to be fair.  International Football is pretty sparsed in-game compared to the club side.  If there's a function there to be used, it should probably just work, rather than be just a bit rubbish because they haven't prioritised making it work better in an international setting.

Get it logged as a bug, if the AI is picking clearly the wrong players or very unsuited players then there's something amiss and it should be investigated.

Whether its a problem for all teams or not is almost an irrelevance, its clearly impacting your game and doesn't sound like intended behaviour. 

Archived