Why is player playing in my country "outside my scouting range?"

Playing as Oxford, BET Sky League 1 in England. We're playing Everton Reserves in the Checkatrade Trophy tournament. Ever Reserves has a striker who looks interesting, but when I try to scout him it says he is outside my scouting range.

If he's playing for a team in England and I'm in England how can he be "outside my scouting range?"

3 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Packages determine the number of players shown on the player search screen, not where you can and cannot scout. 

Yes but the Youth Packages can differ from the Senior packages - and they are geographic, and the budget applied to them limits the capabilities . They are far more than a filter on the search screen.

25 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Yes but the Youth Packages can differ from the Senior packages - and they are geographic, and the budget applied to them limits the capabilities . They are far more than a filter on the search screen.

Scouting range and scouting packages are two different things. 

4 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Scouting range and scouting packages are two different things. 

That's obvious - I really don't think you understand me.

The packages can be Domestic/European/World - so they are geographic?

Scouting range is how far you can send your scouts - also geographic no?

The package, which takes from the scouting budget, is more than a filter on the search screen as you suggested. That's all I was saying.

7 minutes ago, Snorks said:

That's obvious - I really don't think you understand me.

The packages can be Domestic/European/World - so they are geographic?

Scouting range is how far you can send your scouts - also geographic no?

The package, which takes from the scouting budget, is more than a filter on the search screen as you suggested. That's all I was saying.

Oh I do understand you. OP was talking about being unable to scout a player, you said; I would think it's because he is a youth player not a senior player - different packages etc.

Which is why I made the distinction. Because packages have no bearing on scouting range. You can have a world scouting package for youth and senior players but still not have an unrestricted scouting range, i.e., you could be blocked from scouting a player because scouting package doesn’t equal scouting range.

and the package is pretty much just what you can see on the player search screen. You might bet a bit more data on the top package though.

1 minute ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Oh I do understand you. OP was talking about being unable to scout a player, you said; I would think it's because he is a youth player not a senior player - different packages etc.

Which is why I made the distinction. Because packages have no bearing on scouting range. You can have a world scouting package for youth and senior players but still not have an unrestricted scouting range, i.e., you could be blocked from scouting a player because scouting package doesn’t equal scouting range.

and the package is pretty much just what you can see on the player search screen. You might bet a bit more data on the top package though.

No but a Youth Player would be scouted in the Youth Package, a Senior Player would be Scouted under the Senior Package would he not? They are Different packages.

Buy a youth package and you scout the youth teams, buy a senior package and you scout the senior teams - not rocket science dude. If the player in question is on a youth contract and playing u18 or u20s, he would come under the Youth package. Different packages aren't they?

If at an English club, buy a Domestic youth scouting package and the Dynamo Kiev u18s won't be included because of GEOGRAPHY!

If the board limit your scouting range to Europe, you wouldn't buy a World Scouting Package (not sure you can anyway) that's obvious.

More than a filter on the Search Screen, you wouldn't need packages if that was all they did.

7 hours ago, Snorks said:

No but a Youth Player would be scouted in the Youth Package, a Senior Player would be Scouted under the Senior Package would he not? They are Different packages. Youth and Senior scout packages are different, but it's just allows you to see players and player data, not scout them specifically.

Buy a youth package and you scout the youth teams, buy a senior package and you scout the senior teams - not rocket science dude.  If the player in question is on a youth contract and playing u18 or u20s, he would come under the Youth package. Different packages aren't they 

If at an English club, buy a Domestic youth scouting package and the Dynamo Kiev u18s won't be included because of GEOGRAPHY! But you can still scout him if he is within your scouting range.

If the board limit your scouting range to Europe, you wouldn't buy a World Scouting Package (not sure you can anyway) that's obvious. You can, but why wouldn't you?! You can remove the scouting packages completely and still scout around the world and visa versa (if the board let you). THE PACKAGE ISN'T LINKED TO SCOUTING RANGE. Scout packages are paid for through the scouting budget. If you have the budget you can buy the package. Scouting range is set by the board. They determine where you can send your scouts.

More than a filter on the Search Screen, you wouldn't need packages if that was all they did. Go to your player search screen and look at the number of players returned. Then take off your scout packages and tell me what they do... You'll be surprised to see the number of players go down as the search screen only shows players known to your scouts, rather than those uncovered by the packages.

Scout packages determine the number of players that are visible to you under the player search screen. The higher the package, the more players and more detail that is available to you. You can choose your scout package under the scouting tab and you can spend up to what the board gives you in scouting budget. When you burn through the scouting budget, your package is removed and so are those players from your player search screen. You can increase the scouting budget by decreasing your transfer budget, but again, I stress that this doesn't determine where you can send your scouts, so just because you have a worldwide package, it doesn't mean you can send players worldwide on scouting trips.

Scouting range determines where you can send your scouts.

Here is a real-world example. Jose Mourinho has found himself at Carlisle United. The board there have decided that he can only send scouts around the U.K. However, because they've been generous, they've bought him a scouting package that covers Europe. What this package does is it allows him access to videos and data on players around Europe. So he can view players and have access to their data, (player search screen) but because the board won't pay for scouts to go watch in person, he cannot go and scout him because he is out of the range the board have allowed.

Sometimes you can pay extra to scout players out of the scouting range, but this comes out of the scouting budget if you have any left.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 06.22.23.png

11 hours ago, Snorks said:

No but a Youth Player would be scouted in the Youth Package, a Senior Player would be Scouted under the Senior Package would he not? They are Different packages.

Buy a youth package and you scout the youth teams, buy a senior package and you scout the senior teams - not rocket science dude. If the player in question is on a youth contract and playing u18 or u20s, he would come under the Youth package. Different packages aren't they?

If at an English club, buy a Domestic youth scouting package and the Dynamo Kiev u18s won't be included because of GEOGRAPHY!

If the board limit your scouting range to Europe, you wouldn't buy a World Scouting Package (not sure you can anyway) that's obvious.

More than a filter on the Search Screen, you wouldn't need packages if that was all they did.

Not only are you being damn rude to the other poster on here, you are completely wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, but don't be so rude about it and actually listen to what he is saying, because he is spot on.

I'm not sure that the post you are referring to is being rude in anyway, 

I think the way to understand the OP best is:

1. If the OP confirms the senior and youth scouting packages that he has

2. We understand the age, contract etc of the player wishing to be scouted

3. We also need to understand if the match being played in which the "to be" scouted player will be playing is at  the OP's club ground or is an away match. 

I think these things will help us understand the logic of the situation. However despite this if the player the OP wishes to scout and is playing in a match against him at the OP's club ground then I would have some sympathy that the relevant scout would not be able to attend the home match and watch the player.  The FM logic/ current coding may simply not be able to cope with this potential circumstance.

There is of course another option perhaps fall back option....the OP can watch the match, choose the type of highlights he wishes to view and watch the player himself.

The revised scouting module / package etc is new so its likely there may be a bug or 2 waiting to be found. Its worth if possible uploading a save where thi scan be recreated and logging a bug. It may not get fixed and it may not get responded to but I bet it will be looked at

11 hours ago, Spurs + Eastbourne 4eva said:

Not only are you being damn rude to the other poster on here, you are completely wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, but don't be so rude about it and actually listen to what he is saying, because he is spot on.

I didn't mean to appear rude, and I apologise if I did, I am merely trying to point out that the scouting packages Youth/Senior are different packages, and that they are more than a filter on the player search screen as the poster stated. 

14 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Scout packages determine the number of players that are visible to you under the player search screen. The higher the package, the more players and more detail that is available to you. You can choose your scout package under the scouting tab and you can spend up to what the board gives you in scouting budget. When you burn through the scouting budget, your package is removed and so are those players from your player search screen. You can increase the scouting budget by decreasing your transfer budget, but again, I stress that this doesn't determine where you can send your scouts, so just because you have a worldwide package, it doesn't mean you can send players worldwide on scouting trips.

Scouting range determines where you can send your scouts.

Here is a real-world example. Jose Mourinho has found himself at Carlisle United. The board there have decided that he can only send scouts around the U.K. However, because they've been generous, they've bought him a scouting package that covers Europe. What this package does is it allows him access to videos and data on players around Europe. So he can view players and have access to their data, (player search screen) but because the board won't pay for scouts to go watch in person, he cannot go and scout him because he is out of the range the board have allowed.

Sometimes you can pay extra to scout players out of the scouting range, but this comes out of the scouting budget if you have any left.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 06.22.23.png

Now, reading through this I can see where we are getting confused over what each other is saying. We are almost arguing the same thing from different sides of the fence. I read the top arrow as referring to the scouts.

Archived