Which is best in series from 14-18

I am still playing fm 17 as i still can't come to terms with the removal of 2D classic, it has killed it for me and is sat in my library with 10 hour game stuck in purgetory asi have played to many hours to get a refund,how i racked up 10 hours is beyond me i must have fallen a sleep

I don't doubt the game has probably improved and evolved in many ways and i really want to get on board but every 2 months i re download 18 and say this time i am going to really try and get into it this time, but the the match day game comes and it's just ffs i can't lie to myself it's unplayable, its not just that i had 17 so well tuned in terms of the right skin and background packs that it just looked so beautiful and i actually believed i was in Spain or Italy.

So with that said and fact i can't keep playing 17 forever i know the players too well now it's losing it's spontanaity so i was thinking if i can't go forward maybe ill go backward one or two years so i loaded up 15 and immediately had that familiar yet just out of comfort zone feeling you get with new additions, despite the fact that looking on steam i actually somehow played 2000 minutes more on 15 than 17 it still felt a bit alien, yet 'oh yeah remember you could do that'  for example player individual training is a little bit more complex on 15 and i think i remember a few hardcores saying that it has become more simplified over the last few but i may be wrong

So which series do you think was the most complete 14 i the year it took a step forward and 15,16,17 have been few tweeks but largely the same and 18 is a step again but wether in the right direction or not time will tell

For me it's 18. I understand the people who have a nostalgic feeling for a certain version, or one change/new feature/removed feature that make a certain version unplayable for them.
But I do believe that every year is a step forward, a team has been working on the previous edition for an entire year to improve and expand it, so for me most naturally, the newest version is the best in the series, and going back would make me miss features, (the further back, the more I would miss features when actually playing the game)

Best in series from 14-18?

26 minutes ago, Smurf said:

FM12

:D

If I can reinterpret "best" to "favourite" I'd say 15/16/17 are all pretty much equal for me.  I'd like to be able to say FM18 as the Dynamics and Injuries have been good additions, but some of the UI and scouting changes push it back behind the others.

Ok to expand a little bit, is there a particular year that nailed the match engine, because you would assume that it would improve year on year but i just noticed in 15 just a few moves and types of goals that were better than 17, but i don't know if its better in every aspect (of 2d classic)

As far as I'm concerned, Football Manager is a series that generally improves year-on-year.

FM13 is my favourite version in the whole series, purely because it's given me by far my longest and most enjoyable save game. However, I felt FM15 was a slight improvement on that as a game, while FM16 improved on that, and FM17 improved on that further still. I'd rate FM17 as the best version so far (despite the horrible newgen faces :D).

Though I only played the FM18 demo, this version felt like a step backwards, especially in terms of the UI. (Examples include the increased number of clicks required to carry out team talks or set opposition instructions, and the ethnicities of newgen faces frequently changing colour.) The ME didn't quite feel right either, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly why.

I'm not regretting skipping this version, as it's allowed me to finish my FM13 and FM17 careers before coming back refreshed for FM19. I'd like to think the next game will take a couple of steps forward.

I agree with CFULLER, there is alot going on in this new one, while a couple (team hierarchy) are not bad overall it is unrecognisable it has gone in wrong direction, but i am really hoping 19 is a comeback, but as it stands i think 17 was the peak year, and that's why i am hoping on here someone convinces me maybe 15 or 16 were actually the best so i can take a break from 17

Why does it need someone to do that?  If you want to take a break from 17 and try 15 or 16, then go do it.  I could tell you they're the best games ever made, or the worst things ever committed to the medium, but it's largely irrelevant if you're going to disagree.

At a high level, the editions have gotten better each time.  People may scoff at that, but from a purely technical perspective, it's absolutely true.  The new features and bugs (which will be present in any version) then skew that into more personal terms, which is why asking an internet forum for opinions isn't going to give you a particularly good idea.  Only your own tastes can really tell you for sure.

55 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Best in series from 14-18?

If I can reinterpret "best" to "favourite" I'd say 15/16/17 are all pretty much equal for me.  I'd like to be able to say FM18 as the Dynamics and Injuries have been good additions, but some of the UI and scouting changes push it back behind the others.

Yeh I know - but I couldn't get into Fm13-FM18 at all. 

What's my favourite - it's FM12. 

3 hours ago, forameuss said:

Why does it need someone to do that?  If you want to take a break from 17 and try 15 or 16, then go do it.  I could tell you they're the best games ever made, or the worst things ever committed to the medium, but it's largely irrelevant if you're going to disagree.

At a high level, the editions have gotten better each time.  People may scoff at that, but from a purely technical perspective, it's absolutely true.  The new features and bugs (which will be present in any version) then skew that into more personal terms, which is why asking an internet forum for opinions isn't going to give you a particularly good idea.  Only your own tastes can really tell you for sure.

Well that's why i am trying to get a general consensus, i personally do believe 17 is the best but that 15,16,17 are very close together in style, however just because the game may have improved every year technically, fundamentally the game may have been at it's best in previous years, which is what i am interested to find, since a few posts on here are even 14 before is telling that simplicity may be better

So while there are more thrills and data each year, hardcore players might say 'actually 14 had better training set up or 15 had better match engine

FM17 is head and shoulders above the rest in my own personal experience. Largely because I feel I can actually create different styles of football in the 17 engine. Players felt more grounded to the pitch last year rather than the 'floaty' nature of 18. I feel that scoring good and varied team goals in 17 is a way more rewarding experience than this year's robotic and clunky release. The ME in 18 has a relentless obsession with lofted / chipped balls that I can't stand the sight of. I've found it so hard to keep the ball on the deck and play through the opposition this year.

This year's UI needs to get in the bin and stay there.

Archived