Closing out games

We've all been there- the team has worked hard, they're clinging onto a 2-1 lead late, or you've come back from 2-0 down to be at 2-2 going into added time. Then a late goal comes and ruins our dreams. I've had three kicks in the teeth so far this season (14 games into the league) where I've dropped points in the 95th or 96th minute.

So; Is there anything special that you do to help close out a tight game? A specific formation, mentality changes, just leaving it as it is?

91ccf46c2183e9d5051625a555014f1f.png811ec28dc1dcfe4f6737156d20305714.png3897e678ca7731021bb2c17f03a74101.png

There's no general way and I definitely don't use one way all the time. It obviously depends on the tactic, the situation, my team, the opposition's strength etc. There are lots of ways to tighten up though. Change the tactic to something less attacking or even to a counter attacking setup. Change one or two Attack Duties to Support or even Defend - fullbacks especially. Change Mentality to a lower one to take fewer risks. 

Etc

One thing I like to do is change the wide players to support duty (especially important as those wide midfielders maybe lazy to defend as they are tired so you want them to drop deeper), leaving only 1-2 players on attack. Striker is one of them as there is certainly space to exploit. Changing the mentality helps as well and you wouldn't want to defend too high.

When I'm winning games, usually I just go a little bit more aggressive, moving my line up, battling for the possession around the midline, making sure the other team can't crente with ease.

Another effect of going more aggressive is that the team moves the ball more directly, using the gap behind the opposition.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:46, khodder said:

We've all been there- the team has worked hard, they're clinging onto a 2-1 lead late, or you've come back from 2-0 down to be at 2-2 going into added time. Then a late goal comes and ruins our dreams. I've had three kicks in the teeth so far this season (14 games into the league) where I've dropped points in the 95th or 96th minute.

So; Is there anything special that you do to help close out a tight game? A specific formation, mentality changes, just leaving it as it is?

91ccf46c2183e9d5051625a555014f1f.png811ec28dc1dcfe4f6737156d20305714.png3897e678ca7731021bb2c17f03a74101.png

The best thing you could do is giving an assertive->Concentrate pep talk.Works almost all the time for me.

You don't need to change formation.

If you're winning as an underdog and conceded a or 2 goals,Switch to contain mentality and deploy a Midfielder with Defensive mentality.

What I do is:

1) change to a 4141 formation, back line on defend, hb/d at dm, cm/d and dlp/s at cm, dw/s on the wings and df/s up front

2) contain, very fluid, with TI's take a breather, play even safer, higher defensive line, play out of defense, retain possession, dribble less

I never do this before the 80 minute mark, rarely before 85. Very rarely concede late goals with this system. I might use a different formation if for example the opposition uses a three striker system, or if the players I have on the pitch cannot reasonably play in a 4141, which sometimes happens if I've been playing with a back three. But the constants are always contain, very fluid and the TI's.

If I'm winning by one goal with 20 mins to go, I tend to switch to defensive mentality, time-wasting, retain possession and more disciplined.

Works every time for me, but I do have a very good Arsenal team at the moment. Not sure if that would work for an underdog! 

I have a separate tactic for when I'm winning based on keeping possession.  It's like Kozman said, but I have a much lower defensive line.  I also change the duties of my players.  And I use subs depending on the match situation.  If I was a goal up after 60 min, I might sub off my striker for a CD. A goal up after 75 min, next sub is a AM for a DM.

It depends on the situation. I almost always play a 4-1-2-3, so sometimes I'll pull the wide men back into midfield and retain possession, dropping from Control to Standard or Counter.

Sometimes I will go to Attacking (as daft as it sounds) and structured, so my defenders stay back, midfield doesn't get caught too high up but leaving my front three up field to counter if the opposition turn over possession.

I normally play a 4-2-3-1 wide, when im defending a lead i normally put my AM infront of my defence as an anchor man (obviously sub him for a defensive player) and change from control to standard plus if there is a particaular player causing us trouble i will get a player to specifically mark him.

I agree with Hunter.  What I do. 

1. Park the bus bog it with tactic. One striker up front only.

2. Momentum.  I play very slow and waste time instruction. 

3.team and players instructions not to dribble so you keep possession more.

4. Instruction play discipline. 

5. Passing short. 

6. Play out of defence.

7. Tell keeper to roll out ball to players. 

8. The 8 ball. Can use subs to wind down time.

You will want to make sure your wing backs stay wide if against wingers with your wingers on support as well. I usually only keep 1 striker up to be the one who keeps the ball stretched and keep possession.   Play structured or highly structured.  And all the above is not bullet proof. Has worked for me many times to be happy.

You will see the AI make tactical changes that suits that last minute goal THAT means you need to make the counter adjustments like real life managers do to protect the lead as you see them take off 1 striker either for a defensive or midfield player.  If you don't make that counter adjustment then the chances are high against you.  SI didn't just throw this in game for no reason.  It will make big changes to find your weakness and then rub salt into the you know what.  Why is the AI very proficient at scoring goals last minute.  It is because it has read your tactic for 45 min and is making a suitable change for the smash and grab.

I don't know, it depends. Sometimes it pays off more to stick to what's already working rather than invite more pressure. Against weaker teams, especially those that park the bus for 80 minutes then realize they're losing, I'm like "bring it on!" and take advantage of the spaces that will inevitably appear. Against stronger sides, it makes sense to change, but only insofar as you are being proactive - taking advantage of opposition weaknesses rather than passively defending and invite pressure. 

A good example of the latter is playing Allegri's Barcelona (I know I know) in the champions league.  They went down and switched from the annoyingly possession based 4141 to very attacking 433 with a front three of Messi, dembele, and Suarez.  it made sense to pull my wingers further back, but knowing they would be exposed on the flanks I just changed mentality of my fullbacks and focused my passing down the flanks.

As in real life, I think this game tends to reward being proactive and in control. There are going to be times even though  you're playing well you go behind, and are eventually rewarded for persistency. My thinking is, if your tactic is solid and things are going well, there should be no need to make major changes. the ai losing its sheeet to chase a losing game should be seen as an opportunity to finally get that elusive kick in the teeth and, more importantly test your own squad when it's, as sir Alex Ferguson said, squeaky bum time. you may find out your DC makes a silly error or a striker misses a sitter, and most importantly, here is where you really find out what your tactic and squad are made of. panicking and freaking out simply betrays a lack of faith in your tactic which should be seen as criminal for a winning squad.

Archived