[FM17] If you think you're too small to make a difference you haven’t spent a night with a mosquito

Benjoe

Oh, and one last thing about Masika. I signed him as a grey player from our u21s. I've actually signed quite a few grey players as their stats are usually well rounded, but of course not good by any means, but sometimes they are actually better than my very one-dimensional regens. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoy this thread, its theme and the way you write  I'm following already.

On ‎17‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 22:35, Benjoe said:

Woah, that sounds amazing. Happy for you man! Six is a good age too! I 'teach' that age in an after school 'care'. 

That sets the inofficial count of "fathers/ teachers of six-year-old Girls" to 3 as I have one, too :D

6 minutes ago, vossmaj said:

I really enjoy this thread, its theme and the way you write  I'm following already.

That sets the inofficial count of "fathers/ teachers of six-year-old Girls" to 3 as I have one, too :D

Cheers mate! I am enjoying it too as well. :D

Haha fantastic, happy for you as well! :)

Well, now I'm off to take care of the children of tomorrow! 

On 18.4.2017 at 10:34, Benjoe said:

he was told not to schedule any away games during pre-season as he didn’t want to pay the bus to take the team

Fun fact from my Chinese save with Hunan: The board - paying 6m per year and providing more money than I could spend on transfers - constantly denied us playing against the Reserves stating that was too far away :rolleyes:

Yes, that was when I began to doubt that Hunan was the place to be for me...

43 minutes ago, vossmaj said:

Fun fact from my Chinese save with Hunan: The board - paying 6m per year and providing more money than I could spend on transfers - constantly denied us playing against the Reserves stating that was too far away :rolleyes:

Yes, that was when I began to doubt that Hunan was the place to be for me...

Oh my. Either your reserves are placed on Mars or else there seems to be a bug in play. FM 16 or 17?

I can, however, have friendlies against u21s and u19s, just hope we can pay for the bus some day.

3 hours ago, Benjoe said:

It's real easy to pronounce too! Just say 'Um' and then just mumble!

I'm sensing a massive sponsorship opportunity here for Jelly Belly...and am envisioning a catchy theme song akin to Um Bongo...

Royalty checks should be made out to Sir ManUtd1, please.

10 hours ago, vossmaj said:

That was FMT 16

Hope I avoid it then!

9 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

I'm sensing a massive sponsorship opportunity here for Jelly Belly...and am envisioning a catchy theme song akin to Um Bongo...

Royalty checks should be made out to Sir ManUtd1, please.

Haha! Never seen that theme song but I like it! :D 

All royalty checks will be directed towards Mr. Nelson Mandela Jr. - however, should there be any complaints, these will be directed to Mr. Mumbu Umbolele. 

And yes, I just realized that Mumbu's last name is almost identical to Umbelebele. 

Billedresultat for the office sue me gif

A spider’s cobweb isn’t only its sleeping spring but also its food trap 

Swaziland.thumb.jpg.ba7898ed8dec9233bd13a0326675c1e1.jpg

In the midst of November Nelson and Mumbu could celebrate not having lost a match in 10 straight games. Who would have thought that would happen? 

96fc0d5a589528a86f1a5319506ac9c0.png

Their team had played admirably and a times created magical moments. Against the Siteki Warrios especially two of their three goals deserved an extra replay.

191e74c576e5020fa2de35318796bea3.gif

a68ecd0d58dfeb69167e7c7944cbfc0e.png

ca5324aafa064a088a7547fedb999dfe.gif

Their good form of play ment that they were now occupying on of the two direct promotion spots in the league. The only two spots allowing promotion. Jelly Belly Umbelebele was tied with them on points as they managed to keep hold of Mhlambanyatsi as they equalized with 10 minutes left to play.

309f4780debaade69348a048d8b071ad.png

Next test for the Rovers is a match against first placed Shieselweni Vultures. The only professional team in all of Swaziland... 

On 17/04/2017 at 18:01, Benjoe said:

Ahh. In that case, well yeah, you do have a very good point. Now the Rovers signed him. 

I have no jokes on that..

I was going to reply to this earlier and forgot. I think it does make perfect sense that Nelson signed for a team named after a defunct car company.

tRakiHz.jpg?1 

On 19/04/2017 at 11:31, Benjoe said:

Is @noikeee the manager of Umbelebele???

8d4eaddbe69852c892328c8349f01862.png

Think I'd remember if I had managed a team named Umbelebele. :D

I don't think I came across the flat 4-3-3 often in FM16, but it's popular by the AI in FM17. Faced it lots in the English lower leagues, specially when the AI tries to chase a game.

Back to your Swaziland adventure, it appears the Rovers are riding quite well through Swaziland's dusty bumpy roads. And I find it amazing you're managing to score some goals that actually resemble football, rather than random pinball at that level of play.

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

I was going to reply to this earlier and forgot. I think it does make perfect sense that Nelson signed for a team named after a defunct car company.

tRakiHz.jpg?1 

Think I'd remember if I had managed a team named Umbelebele. :D

I don't think I came across the flat 4-3-3 often in FM16, but it's popular by the AI in FM17. Faced it lots in the English lower leagues, specially when the AI tries to chase a game.

Back to your Swaziland adventure, it appears the Rovers are riding quite well through Swaziland's dusty bumpy roads. And I find it amazing you're managing to score some goals that actually resemble football, rather than random pinball at that level of play.

First you compare him to vultures, now to Rovers... WHAT'S NEXT?!

This wasn't even chasing. IIRC I saw at least three teams in the lower division that used this formation at the start of the season. Haven't checked if they've kept it though. I think it all has something to do with the regen managers. Their preferred formations are (to some degree I'd imagine) random so the 4-3-3 would come up occasionally, contra the real life managers where I suppose few managers prefer it. 

I've been pleasantly surprised too! Sometimes it's really decent football, but some of the goals we concede... 

2 hours ago, lukafanzer said:

Great man! :D

Cheers! Hope my league will function with the continental cups you've created. :D 

38 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

Been reading this and will keep following.

Great read and great idea! 

I managed Nigeria internationally in my first FM save, and did very well with them. Always had a soft spot for Africa, just with the fun names, alone! :)

Hope you do well!

Cheers mate! 

I'd love to manage the Nigerian NT, I  think I've said that before in the thread though. How well did you do? Any trophies or medals? :)

Cheers, me too!

4 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Cheers mate! 

I'd love to manage the Nigerian NT, I  think I've said that before in the thread though. How well did you do? Any trophies or medals? :)

Cheers, me too!

Yea, you did mention it, that's why I mentioned my recommendation. It was a blast.

I won the Cup of Nations, and did very well in the FIFA World Cup. Managed to get them all the way to Semi Finals, knocking out Germany. But Italy or France was the one to demolish us.

I found the most important key to success(besides tactics), was to not choose the "best" players. But it was finding the players who had the highest Natural Fitness AND Stamina combined, who were also good players all around. The packed schedule, intense competition, clubs wearing players down, all meant we could compete far better than normal. We knocked out Germany because their players were exhausted and ours were still fit. So Iwobi, with his fitness+stamina, and speed/accel/etc, could fly down the wings past tired players to cross to a waiting striker.

7 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

Yea, you did mention it, that's why I mentioned my recommendation. It was a blast.

I won the Cup of Nations, and did very well in the FIFA World Cup. Managed to get them all the way to Semi Finals, knocking out Germany. But Italy or France was the one to demolish us.

I found the most important key to success(besides tactics), was to not choose the "best" players. But it was finding the players who had the highest Natural Fitness AND Stamina combined, who were also good players all around. The packed schedule, intense competition, clubs wearing players down, all meant we could compete far better than normal. We knocked out Germany because their players were exhausted and ours were still fit. So Iwobi, with his fitness+stamina, and speed/accel/etc, could fly down the wings past tired players to cross to a waiting striker.

Hopefully I'll get there sometime this save. 

That's a quite nice succes. I assume you fought for bronze medals that year in the world cup? 

That hint is something I will consider once I bag the first NT job! Funny though, to knock out Germany that way, since I'd expect them to both a big squad to allow rotation, and also players with exactly those kinds of stats in high levels. It does still make sense, especially with some of the African nations where sometimes you have a few solid stars and then a lot of players at somewhat same level. Their NF and Stamina could easily be something that separates the mediocre from the World Cup beaters. 

3 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Funny though, to knock out Germany that way, since I'd expect them to both a big squad to allow rotation, and also players with exactly those kinds of stats in high levels. It does still make sense, especially with some of the African nations where sometimes you have a few solid stars and then a lot of players at somewhat same level. Their NF and Stamina could easily be something that separates the mediocre from the World Cup beaters. 

Yea, they have a big squad. But FM seems to go for the best players, rather than fittest. They play alot of friendlies and everyone's now tired. Then FM thinks, "I have Boateng at 80% energy or Badstuber at 90%. I'm picking Boateng, he's a much better defender. He's also valued alot higher, puts in better ratings, etc".  So, like Muller, who as you said would have alot of NF and Stamina, has now played like every club game and every National game. He's tired and jaded. So their 85-90% starting 11 is against my 100% starting 11, and it adds up over time. I set my players to sit back, go slower, while they run themselves ragged. So by end of match, we're at 80% and they're at 60%.

:)

7 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

Yea, they have a big squad. But FM seems to go for the best players, rather than fittest. They play alot of friendlies and everyone's now tired. Then FM thinks, "I have Boateng at 80% energy or Badstuber at 90%. I'm picking Boateng, he's a much better defender. He's also valued alot higher, puts in better ratings, etc".  So, like Muller, who as you said would have alot of NF and Stamina, has now played like every club game and every National game. He's tired and jaded. So their 85-90% starting 11 is against my 100% starting 11, and it adds up over time. I set my players to sit back, go slower, while they run themselves ragged. So by end of match, we're at 80% and they're at 60%.

:)

If they're really picking their squad like that it can really have a huge impact, 20% is a lot to be behind in condition. I haven't noticed it myself so don't know if it was something special in your save or maybe a bug, or if I will experience the same at some point. 

I don't expect to get any updates done today. My girlfriend and I are celebrating our 2-year anniversary so I don't think I'll get around playing and there is still some ingame work to be done before next update. I will, however, be getting work done on the thread tomorrow! 

Thanks for reading along so far, and hopefully I can keep the wheels on the Rover spinning!

Three days in the life of Nelson Mandela Jr.

263f4c65d83ccc3b3ae0bfc89af65f66.png

Mkhonta, the topscorer from Umbelebele joins the Rovers. He is a leader, Nelson wants him to tutor youngsters. 

15928f4b38ce15644ef2f7100585bf61.png

Like the leader Mkhonta is he tells Nelson to bugger off.

Later that same month Nelson hold three separate talks with the same player in the span of two days. Charles Dube is upset, he wants game time.

Nelson at first wants to give Dube the game time and tells him to expect to get played in the coming games, the next one is at the 2nd of January.

25d3468f7e8a747b758efcaedf6982e2.png

Dube is happy for a few hours but then returns. Nelson is confused, 'Didn't I just speak to him? Mumbu, come help?' But Mumbu is far away. Faced, once again, with an upset Dube he pads Dube on the back and tells him, he's sorry and that he will make it up to him. Dube leaves smiling, but Nelson got a weird feeling. Maybe the umncweba (biltong) he ate for lunch wasn't good after all. 

Next morning Nelson once again meet Dube. He is crying. And screaming. Nelson panics - 'MUMBUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!' But Mumbu is far away. Nelson will have to do this on his own. Dube accuses Nelson of multiple things and finishes the sentence with 'You're a ugly twat, and it looks like you ate the entire gnomish race from which you originate!' Nelson didn't understand a lot of the words, but he knew he should be upset. He hammered his hand into the table which split the table in half. The wood was molded and would soon have split without touching. The effect was the same, however, Dube got scared. Nelson told him to get the **** out of his office and go train with the kids. Dube left the office but from outside Nelson paper thin door Dube's voice was heard 'I got friends in this club! This won't be the end of this!

8ddafd5a0048d1e8906ef1f5001b2114.png 

A spider’s cobweb isn’t only its sleeping spring but also its food trap

Swaziland.thumb.jpg.6faab8c5638bae74d20577081cf845bb.jpg

Prior to the troubles with Dube Mhlambanyatsi Rovers had had other issues to be concerned about. Despite being the team taking the most shots (on target, 100, 2nd Shiselweni with 88) and having the most possession in the league (53.95%, 2nd Shiselweni with 53.67%) they found themselves knocked out of the FA Cup by Mmhlume United and 3rd placed in the league after Shiselweni and Umbelebele.

They lost out to Shiselweni 2-0, who despite being professional and first placed had only three fans attending the game. This game was followed by another two defeats making this their longest streak of losses during Nelson’s short regime.

Something Nelson hadn’t noticed became obvious now. Mumbu hadn’t been humming the lullaby. What was the reason for this lunacy? He quickly, as quick as this humungous man can be, asked or rather screamed Mumbu straight into the face. Mumbu broke down crying. His mother has recently passed away. That has made the lullaby a very sad one to hum as she was the one who used to hum is for him whenever he was sick.
Nelson used his Motivating of 4 and Man Management of 3 and held the worst motivational speech in a long time. “You know, fartface. Sometimes people die, and that’s **** and all… But, ya know. You get over it sooner or later, right? That lullaby is only going to help you in the future. You’ll hate yourself if we say didn’t get promoted this season just because you felt to sad to not hum it, right?”

Mumbu left the office and didn’t return.

Until the next game where he was all ready and hummed the lullaby again. This undoubtedly created a 3-games win streak.

Their form was still shaky, however. Still sitting at third, still not in promotion yet. Following the dispute with Dube they evenly lost 4-1 to Hub Sundowns. A team they’d beaten 3-1 earlier in the season. Nelson was quick to accuse Dube of some sort of Voodoo.

Would Nelson and Mumbu be able to stop Dube's voodoo or would this black magic tear their season apart? 

dcd139030ee933e784a39edbc2820919.png

da5d8920ef24c7e8442beac6db8ed8f7.png

He that beats the drum for the mad man to dance is no better than the mad man himself

soccer_africa.jpg.a9c77066ea42ed1989e0fcaecc547f51.jpg

b7eb30416cbcaf35616231167362d23d.png

0b0cc40aa357c32ccf9015d32fd4f4d4.png

Following another two poor performances even in spite of the lullaby-humming of Mumbu, Nelson was convincen. Black magic was used, he would have to find out how to stop it before the season was over for them. 

He that beats the drum for the mad man to dance is no better than the mad man himself

First suggestion came from Mumbu. ”Boss, what if he only cursed one certain thing? Like a formation, or a player?” Nelson ignored what Mumbu suggested, but moments later, he came up with a brilliant idea. “Say, Mumbu, we used another formation. If Dube used black magic it would perhaps only work on a certain formation?” If we changed system to something he’d never expect then we could manage to win again!”

Mumbu, looking confused, nodded in agreement.

Thus was a 4-3-1-2 formation created. They didn’t know what they wanted it to do. They just wanted to break the curse.

c9236f31d610dce91a0ccd6078f0fe8e.png

Following the change of formation the team seemed as new. Ronnie Metsi especially felt re-energized as he scored a hattrick. One of the three fans - the only fan of the Mhlambanyatsi Rovers got so excited at the 1-3 scoring that he got undressed and streaked the entire pitch. 

Billedresultat for african football fans gif

Ignore the many fans and security guards and you got it perfectly. 

f63e5f4c039a2f27b66735ce2d133584.png

HA! TAKE THIS, @noikeee!

With the vicious curse put upon the Mhlambanyatsi Rovers most certainly well out of the way Shiselweni Vultures was visiting Mbabane to meet the Rovers.  

067383aef5b40ff8beceb0885ad7a38e.png

The Vultures uses the same formation as Umbelebele did. 'HA! Easy 3 points!" Nelson chuffed.

8th Minute: The Vultures gets awarded a free kick in Rover territory. It goes into dangerous grounds and a Vulture gets a feet on it 

f6dc0a2a4491d3a0c78e8a01d1c10663.png 06aa00f94c4174cef0444afa90a193cb.png

It's saved by Mdluli in the Rover goal!

16th Minute: A well timed through ball splits through the Rovers defence and Mdlovu finds himself with a one-on-one with Mdluli. Mdluli saves it, but it falls right back out to Mdlovu who hits it first time!

f6dc0a2a4491d3a0c78e8a01d1c10663.png 5e0a2b1ef1fb92fbf69f9e2680f44bc1.png 106632ef9c18604272abf828a71e9465.jpg

Mdluli is beaten and the Shiselweni Vultures takes the lead. 0-1.

25th Minute: The Rovers are seeking an equalizer and after a smart one-two Metsi finds himself with a one-on-one. 

8fadfd4a9b5e79d5e95ff71fcd4fa041.png 76c1e03ba3dc2620df4a086683dde0f0.png 70f2a996d434a9dad3ab788063fd589f.png

It's parried over the goal by the keeper! 

28th Minute: S'khonde sends in a cross aiming for Mkhonta and it looks good. 

20412842322c94ae83996ee828186af4.jpg 73b5c15ad271f891f3fd7a4c0399cc3b.jpg

It's 1-1!

34th Minute: Corner for the Vultures. It's crossed for the near post and no Rover players are moving an inch after the ball.

9c1bcedc63e69a7d2080a5837d36c40c.png 6296937571d2137660b4e5b893106b81.png

The Vultures take the lead again! 1-2.

Half time at Mhlambanyatsi Rovers "Stadium"

Second half, Mhlambanyatsi Rovers 1 - 2 Shiselweni Vultures

49th Minute: The Vultures are at it again, like Vultures nature, feasting on the weak and wounded. Mdlovu finds himself in the box with the ball with a couple of options in the box. 

29e09cad48906ad325a079616bd3a18f.png  8dfc599468b65292103862def18858c3.png

He finds Sibandze who easily puts it in for a 1-3 lead. The Rovers are bleeding badly.

54th Minute: ... Vultures ... something something ... goal.

fddff72bff52b5e77d1622700513da85.png  46c0c5c7107e1bccc847e058c3bccc62.png

1-4... This aint fun for the Rovers.

56th Minute: Just a few minutes later Hlatshwayo, left back for the Rovers, breaks through and sends a cross in. 

043ba5e6dbaa660e364719f891f8e845.png  dde99d4955230edf5050269f0c6e0f32.png

2-4! Well, let's not pretend this is close. 

70th Minute: Mhkonta sends a cross in, Vilakati is on it first!

1cf3d0a4a9ec7a347e64abfffee5c736.png 1848efe493404ac339efa20f05d51d54.png

3-4! Now it's getting interesting again!

80th Minute: Having closed down well Vilakati have lots of space to run at goal. 

3ef77571b8a0f6f3db2e7a4f0b581f5b.png  7f120f0f99cccb33628ebb9f60fe4d86.png

Vilakati takes the shot, but Dlamini in goal saves it with one hand, but it's not over! The ball comes back out and Vilakati is hungry!

4156174076cf02038c86c83089800bdd.png b614e88fa8bb49cef51e1fbba255796a.png

Vilakati is too quick and places in goal for the equalizer! 4-4!!! Third score from Vilakati in the span of less than 30 minutes!

86th Minute: Vultures on the ball... M. Dlamini with the ball outside the box. He decides to have a crack at it!

b7fa540d03dc8549f3556561aaf128b0.png  74d4a6df6697d1d6c06ddf5d7efaf77c.jpg

But it goes over! Still 4-4.

The game ends 4-4 too!

8693231ba78462e4d25646581fccabb4.png

Phew.

5 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Well Nelson Mandela Jr. likes it flashy. So this was a good result. Is there a playoffs for 3 to 6, or is it just the top 2 that get promoted?

It was very much in the style Nelson loves, indeed, although he would have preferred it with a win on the side. I wish I had spent the time to do so, but no, sadly. No playoffs just 2 straight promotions. That is kinda annoying now, especially if we end a close 3rd. 

Just now, BoxToBox said:

Ahhh, Eleven Men, known for their bitter rivalry with Some Blokes.

But very good friends with Those Lads. 

I was surprised they actually had players on the bench, I mean, I thought they were only 11 men. What are the rest of your players then? 

Just now, Benjoe said:

But very good friends with Those Lads. 

I was surprised they actually had players on the bench, I mean, I thought they were only 11 men. What are the rest of your players then? 

Maybe they're a mixed team and the bench are all ladies?

Just now, BoxToBox said:

Maybe they're a mixed team and the bench are all ladies?

That makes the loss even more hurtful somehow. 

Their avg. age is 31.08...

86d31bcbb29aa612d09405c4c30a026a.png

Our avg. age for comparison is 22.69. 

1 minute ago, Benjoe said:

That makes the loss even more hurtful somehow. 

Their avg. age is 31.08...

86d31bcbb29aa612d09405c4c30a026a.png

Our avg. age for comparison is 22.69. 

Some of the 38+ ones are definitely the parents of the 17 year olds. Maybe that's it Eleven Men(and their kids).

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Some of the 38+ ones are definitely the parents of the 17 year olds. Maybe that's it Eleven Men(and their kids).

I think you cracked it there man. Next stop, the Da Vinci Code!

Quick Update:

ae09f57a5b96d6b386103896c35e7ff1.png

We're reaching the closing stages and we have no more tie-breakers left. Good or bad thing? I'd say bad tbh. We might have been able to beat one and draw one once more which would be really good for us, but we must hope they drop points here and there and that we can clinch the promotion!

da618dc5f14ef0baa0a719e83d4d2422.png

We're close!

4 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Since this is not a one club save, I assume that even if you don't get promoted, you may move on if you get a good offer. Nelson has to hustle eh.

What other leagues do you have loaded.

No doubt! Nelson is as disloyal as they come. :D Any offer he deems better than the current is interesting.

Too many to name! Also just left the apartment so can only quote this post that tells a little about it. :)

On 17/4/2017 at 15:33, Benjoe said:

Game Setup

Billedresultat for african football

As I wanted to play in the African continent with a journeyman save the only available league - the South African Premier League - wasn't going to be enough. I considered creating all sorts of leagues my self but luckily I found, that @lukafanzer had made a terrific pack of a lot of the African leagues. I also found a pack consisting of 4 Kenyan leagues made by Ouma. As my main character originates from Swaziland I also wanted this league. I couldn't really find a pack with this league, so I decided to make it myself. I am absolutely trash in the Editor as I haven't touched the Editor for 4 years at least so it took a lot longer than it should have to create the league but I think it works now. I created the Premier League, and the Lower Division with a Cup and a Super Cup to go with. I wanted to keep the same amount of teams in the leagues as irl (12 in each) so I had to create 3 new teams to have enough for the lower Division. These are: Hhohho Hornets, Shiselweni Vultures and Siteki Warriors. 

CAF African Leagues FM16 by @lukafanzer - http://www.fmscout.com/a-african-leagues-cups-fm16-dd.html
Kenya leagues 2016 by Ouma - http://www.fmscout.com/a-kenya-league-system-fm16.html
Swaziland Leagues and cups – Created by myself

58f4c1bf0a70b_Gamesetup1.thumb.png.de3bafa0e50217be1470765135d65d13.png 58f4c1bfac836_SwaziLeaguesandCups.png.87154110d1c4424c124d44d64ba6c312.png

As I will be starting without a job, I can't know for sure if I'll ever manage the Swazi league, but their reputation is very, very low, so who knows. 

I also have some guidelines for the save.

Save Guidelines:

·         Tactics will be my own creations, and will be adapted to the level I’m playing at – keeping it simple when club is Amateur and I have no coaching badges i.e.

·         I am NEVER allowed to use the Player Search function. I will have to use scouts, agent offers, different in-game media news and such to find players who can join us.

·         I am NEVER allowed to use the Staff Search either. Job adverts will be placed and if any in-game media news should be relevant to staff I might allow that to be used too.

Not using the Players Search or Staff Search function is going to be a ***** for me as I treasure it highly in normal saves but for the sake of the challenge and in the LLM spirit this is how it will be.

I don’t think there are any other things I need to say, otherwise it’ll come up along the road. Hope you’ll enjoy this project, and I hope it doesn’t end up in flames within the first year or so!

Oh! Don't think I've mentioned this before but should I receive any offers from teams outside of the African continent I will NOT accept it or even consider it. Africa is the only continent I will be managing in during this save. 

Archived