[FM2017][RELEASED] Scotland - Real and Fantasy Pyramids

FM17 Lower Leagues.png

Fully tested, fixed and working - my files for the 2016/17 season in Scotland!

Database file for the real pyramid now downloadable via Steam Workshop at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=795631476

Database file for the fantasy pyramid now downloadable via Steam Workshop at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822405366

Logo megapack for Scotland now downloadable at https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/30189/scotland-lower-leagues-megapack-inc-juniors-201617

Kit pack for Highland & Lowland Leagues (inc fantasy expanded Lowland) now downloadable at https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/29477/scotland-highland-lowland-leagues-standard-201617

*NOTE* these logo and kit packs are created by myself for leagues not originally included in the game.

Changelist (Real Pyramid file):

• Corrected all divisions and teams in the pyramid (DB has them wrong)
  • Amended all kits to match real life
  • Corrected stadium information
  • Added real-life managers
  • Edited all club reputations to try and achieve more realistic setups
  • Added correct competitions, dates and playoffs
  • Ensured all Highland & Lowland sides enter Scottish Cup
  • Added realistic prize money
  • STILL TO COME: Lowland League squads to be filled out, with help of clubs (hopefully!)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantasy League Structure

The junior system is split into three regions, which is a big reason why the SFA have struggled to drum up interest in Level 5 among junior clubs. When you consider that most Lowland League clubs are based in the east of the country, you can see the issue that this presents!

Conventional wisdom currently suggests that the 3 region style would need to be mirrored in order to achieve a full pyramid - it would also have the fortunate side effect of making the promotion playoff to the SPFL mirror the promotion playoffs for Leagues 1 and 2. To achieve this, I set about looking for 16 clubs who would conceivably join this new level 5. Thankfully, the SFA club licensing system makes this easier (this is required for SPFL entry and Scottish Cup entry in most cases) as it contains a requirement for successful clubs to attempt entry into the greater pyramid in future. Using this, I have settled on the following:

Lowland West

East Stirlingshire, East Kilbride, Cumbernauld Colts, BSC Glasgow, Dalbeattie Star, Edusport Academy, St Cuthbert Wanderers, Threave Rovers (relegated last season), Girvan, Wigtown & Bladnoch, Newton Stewart, Glasgow Uni, Clydebank, Third Lanark (phoenix club), Auchinleck Talbot, Kilbirnie Ladeside.

Lowland East

Spartans, Stirling Uni, Edinburgh Uni, Selkirk, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Gretna 2008, Whitehill Welfare, Vale of Leithen, Preston Athletic, Civil Service Strollers, Hawick Royal Albert, Leith Athletic, LTHV, Coldstream, Burntisland Shipyard, Linlithgow Rose.

-> N.B. these new clubs have got/on verge of license, have shown prior interest in Lowland League.

By sheer coincidence, once the junior regions are re-calibrated to take account of the Tay being the Highland/Lowland border, we are left with an almost perfect split in the three regions (assuming the remaining South of Scotland teams join the West, while East of Scotland sides join the East). Moving a couple from West to East achieves 60 teams in each, so I've used a 16/16/14x2 setup.

Level 5.png

Junior Leagues

With some of the 16 new Lowland sides coming from the junior pyramid, we're left with a few gaps. To plug these and ensure all "senior" Scottish sides are available to manage in this DB, I've added the North Caledonian League to the North region (with the inclusion of associate member Shetland), the South of Scotland to the West region and the East of Scotland to the East region. Then, using finishing positions from last season I've tried to allocate each side fairly to a particular rung of the pyramid - the only exception being Montrose Roselea in the North, who IRL have just moved from East to North and are in the bottom level as a result. The teams from these additional leagues all start from the bottom and will need to go the long route to the SPFL!

There will be a decent amount of change over the first few years while clubs find their natural level in the full pyramid - don't be surprised to see the few sides with better than minimal facilities progress rapidly upwards, including the likes of Orkney, Shetland and possibly Gartcairn.

There is no prize money on offer in the junior leagues, so cup competitions will be absolutely vital to keep the books in the black. Scottish Cup entry comes with a Highland/Lowland League spot, until then use the North/East/West of Scotland cups and the prestigious Junior Cup to bring in extra cash.

Other Competition Changes

Adding another league to Level 5 has resulted in a few differences to the main senior cups. The season-opening Betfred Cup (league cup) remains as a 5 team group stage format, inviting the best 2 teams from the previous Highland/Lowland West/Lowland East season on a points gained basis. Additionally, the top 2 from each of the 3 leagues enters the Irn-Bru Cup (challenge cup) instead of the 8 overall spots IRL...the final 2 places going to include the top League of Ireland sides as well as the existing Welsh and Northern Irish representatives.

Reserve leagues have been overhauled - every Highland/Lowland West/Lowland East side will automatically have an U20 side participate in the reserve system unless opting out. The first "elite" level remains for the top youth talent producers in the country (usually 17 sides).

As touched on above, the Scottish Cup includes all sides in Level 5 and above, with 2 initial qualification rounds. These have changed due to the increased numbers, no byes on offer - seedings taken from previous league positions once more.

This is heaven for me - THIS is what I live for, fantasy lower league Scottish campaigns. This year I've been using alexdeanlive's 14-level pyramid, and I've just updated the file with hundreds of transfers, so I'm loathed to dump it. Nevertheless, when yours is ready I'll surely download it and quite probably play a campaign. If you could be ready early doors for FM17, I'll likely start with this and use it as my main campaign.

I'm a Highland freak - could you outline the teams in the northern divisions? Are you just using teams in the FM database or are you creating extra teams? Are you likely to add any lower levels? As you can tell, for me the lower the better.  :cool:

On 02/09/2016 at 06:38, phnompenhandy said:

This is heaven for me - THIS is what I live for, fantasy lower league Scottish campaigns. This year I've been using alexdeanlive's 14-level pyramid, and I've just updated the file with hundreds of transfers, so I'm loathed to dump it. Nevertheless, when yours is ready I'll surely download it and quite probably play a campaign. If you could be ready early doors for FM17, I'll likely start with this and use it as my main campaign.

I'm a Highland freak - could you outline the teams in the northern divisions? Are you just using teams in the FM database or are you creating extra teams? Are you likely to add any lower levels? As you can tell, for me the lower the better.  :cool:

No probs bud!

Below the Highland League, I've got the following laid out (all real junior teams with the North Caledonian league thrown in), I'll likely have to create a couple of the Caley sides that don't tend to show up in the database. I reckon Orkney might tickle your fancy...

SJFA North Superleague (level 6): Banks o'Dee, Broughty Athletic, Carnoustie Panmure, Culter, Deveronside, Downfield Juniors, Dufftown, Dundee Violet, Dyce Juniors, Forfar West End, Hall Russell United, Hermes, Inverness City, Lochee United, Maud Juniors, Stonehaven Juniors

SJFA North 1st Division (level 7): East End, Banchory St. Ternan, Blairgowrie Juniors, Buchanhaven Hearts, Buckie Rovers, Colony Park, East Craigie, Dundee North End, Ellon United, Forres Thistle, Fraserburgh United, Islavale, Kirriemuir Thistle, Nairn St. Ninian, Newburgh Thistle, Stoneywood Parkvale

SJFA North 2nd Division (West) (level 8): Alness United, Burghead Thistle, Fochabers Juniors, Forres Thistle, Golspie Sutherland, Halkirk United, Invergordon, Inverness Athletic, Orkney, Nairn St. Ninian, New Elgin, Spey Valley United, Tain St. Duthus, Thurso

SJFA North 2nd Division (East) (level 8): Aberdeen University, Arbroath Victoria, Brechin Victoria, Coupar Angus, Cruden Bay Juniors, Forfar Albion, Glentanar, Lewis United, Lochee Harp, Longside, Montrose Roselea, Newmachar United, Sunnybank, Whitehills

This looks amazing, is it going to be for FM16 or FM17, sorry only quickly scanned as in work?

Do any of you guys have the full team list and positions for Port Glasgow at all, its the town where I live and I'd love to manage the team with real local players.

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, hm86 said:

This looks amazing, is it going to be for FM16 or FM17, sorry only quickly scanned as in work?

Do any of you guys have the full team list and positions for Port Glasgow at all, its the town where I live and I'd love to manage the team with real local players.

Thanks in advance

FM17 - Would be too much sheer work for FM16, everyone would have moved on by the time I was happy with it!

Port Glasgow are a team that I have a soft spot for, having produced centre-back Gordon Greer before Clyde brought him to the senior ranks and started his route to the national team. I'm sure I could find some info re the squad! Plan for now is to fill out the squads of the Highland, Lowland (West) and Lowland (East) teams initially.

On 14/09/2016 at 13:21, Morrissey said:

FM17 - Would be too much sheer work for FM16, everyone would have moved on by the time I was happy with it!

Port Glasgow are a team that I have a soft spot for, having produced centre-back Gordon Greer before Clyde brought him to the senior ranks and started his route to the national team. I'm sure I could find some info re the squad! Plan for now is to fill out the squads of the Highland, Lowland (West) and Lowland (East) teams initially.

Amazing news mate, was hoping it would be for FM17. I'll see if I can help any in terms of the squad etc. 

I'm almost finished on the new Lowland League kits for this season - before I release them, let's have a look at the main players in this season's promotion chase...

East Stirlingshire

eaststirling_h.pngeaststirling_a.png

The Shire lost out to last year's Lowland League champions Edinburgh City by a late penalty in the second leg of their tie, making them the first side to be relegated from the SPFL (where they had a spot since the 1955/56 season). With a new management team in place and some exciting attacking players signed up, they have given their loyal supporters plenty of excitement thus far...however, they are extremely fragile at the back which has cost the black & whites in the early going.

East Kilbride

EK_h.pngEK_a.png

Formed in 2010, Kilby have made great strides in their short history - perhaps the greatest of these being their Scottish Cup run last season, culminating in a creditable 2-0 loss to Celtic in the fifth round. This tie has set them up nicely for a promotion push this term, with funds generated having been smartly invested in the squad which now contains several SPFL quality players. Fans have begun to flock to K-Park from the traditionally old firm hotbed, and the club have a real chance of progressing up the tiers in the coming years.

Spartans

spartans_h.pngspartans_a.png

The capital side have applied to join the SPFL several times, and were a main driver behind the pyramid system coming into existence. However, having won the inaugural league, they haven't made it back to the summit since the promotion playoff started the year after. The Spartans proudly boast a huge youth development setup rivalling any other club in the nation, which could give a great conveyor belt of talent should they progress into the SPFL and beyond.

N.B. I'll do a similar preview of the Highland League contenders once I get on to their strips!

33 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Magic stuff.

Any idea why Buckie are smashing the HFL this season?

From what I've read, they've just made a couple of really smart signings to build on an already strong defence. Must admit I'm surprised by the start they've made!

• 2 weeks later...

Buckie Thistle continue to go great guns thus far in the Highland League - highlights here of a comprehensive 5-0 win over challengers Brora Rangers.

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 18:41, phnompenhandy said:

Magic stuff.

Any idea why Buckie are smashing the HFL this season?

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

Buckie Thistle continue to go great guns thus far in the Highland League - highlights here of a comprehensive 5-0 win over challengers Brora Rangers.

Ouch! Did ye have to? Brora is my team, given that it's where my old Caley heroes are put out to pasture!

Nah, thanks for posting the vid. With East Kilbride tearing up the Lowland League, it'll be intriguing to see who prevails and knocks Eddy City off their all-too-brief pedestal!

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Ouch! Did ye have to? Brora is my team, given that it's where my old Caley heroes are put out to pasture!

Nah, thanks for posting the vid. With East Kilbride tearing up the Lowland League, it'll be intriguing to see who prevails and knocks Eddy City off their all-too-brief pedestal!

Hah, my apologies! Noticed that Ross Tokely et al are there now, right level for that hatchet man :p

EK are already far enough ahead to pop them in the playoff IMO - from the Lowland games I've seen this year, the likes of Shire, Colts and Spartans will all drop points to each other between now and the end of the season. EK would compete for the playoffs in League 2 with their current squad most likely!

...is the editor out yet? :lol: Can't wait to get going on this. Did some research on Third Lanark etc last night and think I'll go as them initially when the big DB is complete.

Is Third Lanark a real thing now? I used the editor to rename Lanark to 3rd Lanark with a nickname 'Phoenix' but that was just messing about. Also created the team of my family home Rothesay Brandanes and a bunch of made ups such as Isle of Islay and my own team. Skye Thistle. Not that any of these teams will ever get to even compete with the likes of Brora Rangers or EK.

Third Lanark AC are very much a thing again, yeah. They only have a (senior) team in the amateur leagues currently, but have now returned to Cathkin Park and run a successful youth system. There were very strong rumours of Thirds applying for the SPFL when Gretna went into abeyance, but it didn't materialise in the end due to the short timescale and some old fashioned board infighting!

They didn't get everything together quickly enough for the formation of the Lowland League given the requirements of the new club licensing system, but the latest vibes going around are that they are looking at options with regards a proper senior league (unlikely to be in the juniors, they likely would want in to the pyramid for the "status" and Scottish Cup entry etc).

EDIT: http://www.thirdlanarkafc.com/thirds.html

Having been inspired by the research I've done into the Hi Hi over the last couple of days (I've even gone and bought the retro home shirt from the 50's...), I jumped ahead and created three kits for them this evening. Among my favourite FM kits I've managed to produce! All based on their historical kits. Thoughts?

thirds_h.pngthirds_a.pngthirds_3.png

On 9/27/2016 at 16:01, Blake_Porter said:

How'd you manage to get that?

Ebay - there was a jersey reseller from Poland that listed an official jersey, but it went off sale before I could bid on it, so I emailed them and they said they still had the item, they had just pulled the listing for lack of interest. Took me about a month to get it, it's epic - long sleeves, red and white hoops, I look like fat "Where's Waldo?" Team sponsor: Baguette Express. 

Third Lanark are back again? This is news. I might have to take a wander back to Cathkin Park (beyond the odd cut-through to Asda).

Buckie were my main challengers in my title winning season with Wick last year. I dislike them.

11 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

Third Lanark are back again? This is news. I might have to take a wander back to Cathkin Park (beyond the odd cut-through to Asda).

Buckie were my main challengers in my title winning season with Wick last year. I dislike them.

I suspect Buckie timed the ending of their 100% start to the season with SI datalocking FM17. They will have a horrendous rep boost.

And I'm gonna go into the editor to create New Cathkin Park and put Third Lanark there, even though they're not there at the moment. It's a fantasy league after all!

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I suspect Buckie timed the ending of their 100% start to the season with SI datalocking FM17. They will have a horrendous rep boost.

And I'm gonna go into the editor to create New Cathkin Park and put Third Lanark there, even though they're not there at the moment. It's a fantasy league after all!

I'd be surprised - the rep data was poor last year. I had to amend almost every side in the Highland and Lowland, the Lowland sides mainly had the exact same levels!

New Cathkin will likely already be there, just make it "un-extinct". Need to bring down max capacity etc as well mind you, no chance it could hold 50k crowds these days!

@Wavelberry, Thirds currently have moved to an astro pitch while club volunteers work on Cathkin. The existing terracing has been cleaned up and the iron railings redone, pitch still needs some work amongst other things. They hold either a 25 or 50 year lease on it however (can't remember which).

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/14812113.Lost_club_plots_return_to_professional_football_league/

Another story about the comeback of Third Lanark in today's Herald. The club is now talking about going to the juniors initially, though with a view to entering the full league setup. Interesting stuff!

6 hours ago, cel1234 said:

Do we know if Lowland league has real players this year ??

Partially - looks like EK, East Stirlingshire etc have most of their squads. The likes of Dalbeattie only have a player or two though. I'm planning on expanding these where I can.

8 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Partially - looks like EK, East Stirlingshire etc have most of their squads. The likes of Dalbeattie only have a player or two though. I'm planning on expanding these where I can.

Great news thanks

Time to look at the Highland League promotion chasers...

Brora Rangers

brora_h.pngbrora_a.png

Brora narrowly missed out on promotion in the first ever playoff final, Montrose coming back from behind after a silly red card ruined their day. Runners up last season and perennial challengers thanks to the oil wealth of their owner, the village side have a surprisingly strong team - though may lack strength in depth. The reds are also no stranger to a league scalp in the cup, having previously knocked Clyde out before the Cumbernauld side got their revenge this season.

Buckie Thistle

buckie_h.pngbuckie_a.png

Major surprise package this season! Buckie added sensible signings in midfield and up top to an already strong defence, and it has paid dividends thus far with an almost perfect start. Ironically, they were the only Highland League team that opposed joining the pyramid...and now could be set to take advantage of the opportunity it presents. Side note - one of the ugliest strips around this year! That sponsor offends my eyes (style and placement).

Cove Rangers

coverangers_h.pngcoverangers_a.png

The reigning champs are currently homeless, having sold their Allan Park ground for housing and are currently awaiting construction on a new council-backed community stadium. This would set them up nicely for the boards ultimate ambition of promotion, and has the fortunate side effect of boosting the bank balance as well as improving training facilities. Have slipped up a couple of times thus far in 2016, but almost guaranteed to be there or thereabouts come the summertime.

Just about finished all the additional Lowland League teams' kits for the fantasy pyramid too - means I can concentrate fully on the editor come Wednesday. Bring it on!

Also just got the sack from Edinburgh City in season 2 so my beta save is done and dusted :lol:

9 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Are there any changes such as new teams for your FM17 version?

Yes and no...

With two exceptions, every club in this database is currently in the junior, North Caledonian, East of Scotland or South of Scotland setups currently. The two additions come in the North - one of these slightly selfishly!

1) I've brought Sutherland United back into the fold, despite their withdrawal from the North Caley league this year. They are a club with a decent pedigree and I wanted them in (chances are they'll return to the fold next season as well). However, I'm in two minds whether to throw in the mooted Lewis & Harris team instead for a more interesting challenge.

2) With Orkney already in the North side, it would have been a shame not to include Shetland too, so they're in! Currently associate members of the North Caley as they are competing in all the cup competitions with a view to joining the league, they will offer the Orcadians a real rivalry. I fancy a save with either of them to see if I can get into the SPFL!

I've updated the relevant changes this season (including mergers like Stoneywood Parkvale) and will add the stadium details for each club so everything should be bang up to date. Will also have a logopack for each playable team, having finished off the North last night.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

That's brilliant mate. Love those new clubs!

It seems to me Golspie Sutherland have faded away these last few years. Is that my imagination or has the rise of Brora hit their support base?

Think that's fair to say, yeah. Brora pushing for the promotion playoff and ultimately entry to the SPFL has taken much of the local attention certainly - helps when you've got a sugar daddy owner bringing in boys on decent money right enough. Would still recognise Golspie as a club with a decent pedigree mind you (even though they are just treading water atm).

Got a soft spot for Golspie Stafford myself, watched a lot of their games as a kid as my dad lives up that way.  As far as I remember - and correct me if I'm wrong, this is from about 15 years ago and I was about 8 or 9 years old - Golspie Sutherland weren't as popular in the town.  Some kind of 'sell out' vibe, and people preferred the lower league team.  People always used to go up and watch Brora games as well though.  First time I saw Celtic play was the U19s or something like that vs Brora Rangers.  I was super excited to see Henrik Larsson and co cutting about Sutherland but it wasn't to be, never forgave my da for that haha! :D Are Golspie Stafford in the game?  That's a long term save I'd be in for!

Looking forward to the full release so i can crack on with my Larkhall Thistle save,one question i have though which may have or have not been answered,will Larkhall have real player names,kits and logos?

Thanks for all your hard work Morrissey..

1 hour ago, steff91 said:

Looking forward to the full release so i can crack on with my Larkhall Thistle save,one question i have though which may have or have not been answered,will Larkhall have real player names,kits and logos?

Thanks for all your hard work Morrissey..

Err...

Logos will definitely be in for each and every team. Real player names are extremely unlikely sadly, would take a crazy amount of work by a team of people to pull that together! If I get a few offers of help mind you, who knows?

As for kits, I plan to add these sporadically, so I'll get there eventually! :thup:

Archived