Corner tactic?

Has anyone got a corner tactic that is working for them?

In FM 2015 I had a corner routine where I would play it short and a run into the box/cross from the second player would result in a goal around 30-40% of the time. This tactic simply doesn't work in FM 2016, the player coming short is rarely given the ball as he gets marked.

I've moved to the traditional hoof-it-to-the-CB-at-the-far-post with very limited success. I think I've only scored two goals from corners so far (two-thirds through the season). Can anyone help at all?

I think corners are water tight now and unexploitable.

Short corners are ineffective and you can barely win a header using conventional corners.

However, i think there is merit in setting up for '2nd phase' attacks, i.e set up to collect the clearing header and build an attack from there.

Before the final update before the final release short-corners were excellent. Defenders didn't come short so you essentially had a free run at goal from an angle. If you had a Robben or say Bolasie on the other side it was almost a goal a game success rate.

We are playing against an AI. You can only ever win by taking advantage of an exploit. Even when you aren't aware that you are.

The corner exploit is an obvious one. This was dealt with originally simply taking away the ability to do certain things (that you CAN do in real football), instead of programming the defence of the set piece better.

Personally when I see an exploit, I will exploit it. It is a game, not real football. In real football, would I not exploit centre backs or goalkeepers that were 5' 3" in height? Absolutely. Therefore I see no difference.

However, it is a game and everyone should be able to play it the way they want to without being criticised for it. :D

Corners is easy to exploit, just sign the best team in the world. You can stop laughing now it wasn't that funny as suggestion.

I'm having fairly good result with corners, I have it setup for a short corner, but the corner kicker often decide to not follow my suggestion.

You need a good dribbler as the come short player, then he will beat the mark and occasionally create some amazing looking goals, that the primary reason I use short, the goals created looks really cool. I pick a good dribbler and crosser as "come short player", even when he doesn't dribble past the mark, he usually get off a pretty decent cross.

That's not really important though, while any setup seem to create some goals, the real key to corners both defending and attacking, is having one player in the lurker spot, this will make it much more likely to recover possession after the opposition fail to score and let you continue the attack after a failed score (Preventing a dangerous counter attack opportunity).

I don't think there is a standout routine this year that kind of exploits the match engine, which is a good thing. I don't want to see Phil Jones winning the golden boot, all from corners :D

Yeah, I don't want another exploit - it got a bit silly in the old game. I think my CB was my top scorer at one point! haha

• 2 weeks later...
I hate the idea of intentionally trying to exploit something. Everyone's entitled to play the game as they wish, but trying to take advantage of any proven issue would just cheapen the experience for me.

Don't like the idea of exploiting corners - but to score a few more from them would be good, I never seem to despite having a good set up ie tall players forward on near and far post along with good long shot player lurking outside the box as everyone recommends. I note that not many league teams appear to score many which is abit unreal and unlike rl

I'm finding that using my full-back on the corner side as a short option is very effective at both drawing an opposing player away from the box/half-way line and chasing down loose balls and clearances.

Does a better defensive job stopping counters from that position than another player staying back as far as I can tell.

Haven't bothered playing the corner itself short yet, though. Probably should give it a try at some point.

Archived