FM16 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply
P.S. Can somebody let me know if there is a stadium move put in for AFC Wimbledon? Thanks.

Checked on the editor, looks like they'll move to New Plough Lane in 2018.

Haven't had the time to play a lot recently, so am only in November. So far top of the league after 13 games, 2 points ahead of City. Secured 1st place in our champions league group after five games. A few matches into the new update and so far my tactics seem to be working as before, which is nice. :)

Not sure tbh Gizmo. He was well rated or was doing well for the under 21s last season. This season not so. He's great from set pieces apparently. I've loaned him out to Boreham Wood for the season where he's got 2 assists in 5 games and he seems to be doing well. I've got Bojan Jokic on loan and Dani Pinillos with Chris Cohen still to come back so it's doubtful.

Checked on the editor, looks like they'll move to New Plough Lane in 2018.

Haven't had the time to play a lot recently, so am only in November. So far top of the league after 13 games, 2 points ahead of City. Secured 1st place in our champions league group after five games. A few matches into the new update and so far my tactics seem to be working as before, which is nice. :)

Thanks kozmik. I'm still enjoying my Coventry game at the moment so won't be updating just yet, but great to hear that is in the update for AFC Wimbledon. They are due to start the 2018 season there, and will be my first English save on 16.3 on this basis.

Nice to hear that the update seems fine, hopefully that is a popular view.

Haha, just because you have managed to avoid it (for now) Gizmo!!

Yeovil is going to be harder than Forest, surely? And you should be used to frustrations with Forest by now anyway. Genuine question, when is Britt due back from injury in the game?

Possibly, but I like challenges. Accrington the other season was a good save. I don't like having too much money to spend. I'm just appalling tactically.

Britt is out for 9/10 months in game. Andy Reid is out for 14 months. Tesche for 6/7 months. Cohen is out for 8/9 months. Fryatt is out for a year as well. No money to spend on players as well.

I'm really tempted to start a save with my club Wigan! I only started playing FM a couple week ago but I'm loving it as you can probably guess and the fact Max Power now has stats that reflect his true ability is another reason to :p

Good luck Gizmo, but even if you go down, I trust you will have the desire to continue. You've done very well so it would be a shame to let one poor season beat you!

Welcome Alicia, I think you have convinced yourself already! Good luck if you try, and hopefully you will let us know how you get on.

Good luck Gizmo, but even if you go down, I trust you will have the desire to continue. You've done very well so it would be a shame to let one poor season beat you!

Welcome Alicia, I think you have convinced yourself already! Good luck if you try, and hopefully you will let us know how you get on.

Decided I will, obviously will update here. Very looking forward to it as I have a few things in mind to launch the campaign back to the Premier League :)

Found myself a cheap gem in Steven Hewitt from Burnley. Cost me around £7K to play for Leyton Orient in League 2, now promoted and one of my key midfielders. Highly recommend him for L1/L2 players

Wow I second this. I got him at league 2 level for FC United of Manchester and stayed with me until my 2nd Championship season. Great little player.

I'm really tempted to start a save with my club Wigan! I only started playing FM a couple week ago but I'm loving it as you can probably guess and the fact Max Power now has stats that reflect his true ability is another reason to :p

You should. I'm having a really fun save with them atm. I'm currently in the second season, in December 2016.

I won League 1 dominantly, going undefeated and sat a record for most points won. Here in my second season, I'm somehow 1st in the Championship around Christmas...

You should. I'm having a really fun save with them atm. I'm currently in the second season, in December 2016.

I won League 1 dominantly, going undefeated and sat a record for most points won. Here in my second season, I'm somehow 1st in the Championship around Christmas...

I'm going to start a long term save with them now the latest patch has been released! Always disable the first transfer window! What tactics are you using? Also noticed you start with no scouts... Who did you hire? Thanks

I'm going to start a long term save with them now the latest patch has been released! Always disable the first transfer window! What tactics are you using? Also noticed you start with no scouts... Who did you hire? Thanks

I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1, or whatever you'd call it.

A flat four man defense, one DMC (ball-winning), to centre midfielders (one box to box and one Deep-lying playmaker), two wings and a striker (advanced forward). Will Grigg has been awesome for me up front, that kid is awesome. Don't know if he has had any changes on the new patch.

I hired Joe McLaughlin as Chief Scout. I don't have any other scouts atm.

Haha, I never knew Wigan had so many fans :lol:

Great to see some new saves, although very unlucky with Morsy already Alicia. I managed him at Chesterfield in FM15 (before they destroyed their team) and he was a very able player alongside Jimmy Ryan.

I'm hoping to continue my Coventry game later, it seems like ages since I did an update with them. We also suffered a horrific start to my first season in the Championship (third season in game) when my first and second choice lone-strikers both got injured right at the start of the season. We were already struggling to adapt to the higher level, so this wasn't helpful, and it got worse when my third choice (who is more of a winger) also got ruled out during their absence. I had to go back to my fourth choice, who hadn't played for us at all in League 1 last year! I kept him in the squad now the others are fit again, but immediately got hit by two of my better midfielders getting injured too. Hopefully things will calm down soon, and I will have a full squad to select from (we only have 22 first team players, so injuries hurt a bit).

Indeed lewis - but I'm now looking for mid-table in the Championship, not mid-table in League 1 ;)

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing Joga but mid-table? Huh hmmm! *cough* :D Check again.

So the PC had to go to factory settings so I spent yesterday redownloading everything. Shame I've now lost the 8 or so games I did but never mind, I'm sure I can replicate how we were doing (2nd, 1 loss against Chesterfield of all teams)

The top race is getting intense... I (Wigan) just narrowly defeated Rotherham away with 2-1, while QPR and Villa both drew their respective games. I'm now sitting at top spot in the Championship, 10 points clear of QPR in 2nd and 12 points clear of Aston Villa in 3rd. 7 matches remain, but I have West Bromwich away next, so the gap could easily get smaller...

So I've started my annual Orient save. Edited the data so Nolan stayed as a player and decided to put him in as a player/coach. I will apologise in advance for the fact that there won't be many screenshots as I work long days so will be posting most of my updates during my breaks at work so it will be mainly text based updates.

Squad and Transfers

The squad is huge for this level. Generally speaking it doesn't need much doing to it which is always a bonus. I managed to move Bradley Pritchard on to Eastleigh for £50k. I like his hard work but he's a dreadful footballer. Also had to make a loan move for Stephen Arthurworrey because I lost Shaun Brisley to injury for 2 months. Other than that, not much to report.

Staff

I had no Head of Youth so managed to bring in Dave Hockaday who was the best of an average bunch. Also lost my favourite man in the world Andy Edwards (U18 manager) to Palace so replaced him with Kevin Kyle (who is dreadful but better than anyone else I could find).

Tactics

This gave me the biggest headache. 4 at the back is a no brainer but I had no idea how to fit all my midfielders and strikers in. I have 5 central midfielders (Nolan, Jack Payne, Lloyd James, Sammy Moore and Nigel Atangana), all of whom are good enough to play in the first team which is going to cause me problems. However I also have Dean Cox who is first name on the team sheet, McAnuff and Jahraldo-Martin from Hull who has pace to burn. Plus with three big men to use up front, I would be daft not to use wingers. After much tinkering, I went for this:

Flexible Counter

GK(d) - Distribute to full backs

FB(s) - Cross more often, aim at target man

CB(d)

CB(d)

FB(s) - Cross more often, aim at target man, get further forward

W(a) - aim at target man

CM(s) - get further forward

DLP(d) - dribble less

WM(a) - cut inside

AF(a)

TM(s) - hold position

All have the shoot less often instruction as well because none of them are particularly good at long range shooting.

Team Instructions: Shorter passing, close down more, slightly higher defensive line, play out of defence.

Took a little while to get it right but I'm fairly happy with it now.

The season so far...

A ropey preseason because I couldn't settle on a tactic meant I went into the first game with only two wins under my belt (both unconvincing against non league opposition). Barnet at home first up ended in a disappointing 1-1 draw with them equalising in the last 5 minutes. Then knocked out of the League Cup after a spirited 3-2 defeat away to Cardiff. Followed that up with a 0-0 away to Dagenham before being beaten 2-1 at home to Stevenage with a really poor performance. Next up was away to Newport and I earned a hard fought 2-1 victory and followed that up with an emphatic 4-0 win at home to Bristol Rovers. I'm currently sitting 8th which isn't bad considering the start I had. However I'm predicted to finish first and the board wants promotion straight away so there's a bit of pressure to succeed.

If anyone wants to know anything I haven't included, don't hesitate to ask!

More to follow soon...

So I've started my annual Orient save. Edited the data so Nolan stayed as a player and decided to put him in as a player/coach. I will apologise in advance for the fact that there won't be many screenshots as I work long days so will be posting most of my updates during my breaks at work so it will be mainly text based updates.

No apologies are needed for a lack of images, personally I think that was a really great update. I've appointed Hockaday as HOYD in the past, and assuming he is rated similar to FM15 he has fairly good stats for that role. I found it interesting to see how you proposed a plan best suited to the decent group of players you have there. I also agree from my time managing them before, that Cox is going to be a very important player. Good luck with your promotion push!

Gungner, that's a really big gap. No need to feel pressure there.

Alicia, it's a shame you had to start again but doing very well at the second attempt too.

lewis, it's where they should have been all along, that squad is way too good to be where they were. I know it's cheeky to ask again, but if you ever feel like getting the updated transfer budgets for the new game, it would be very useful to add to my reserved posts. Cheers mate.

Well we gave it a good go, but ultimately, we weren't anyway near cut out for this level, and our relegation is finally confirmed with 3 games to go... :(

6C55D5B0A796455F9087F4216F66991C777C82BA

Couldn't really settle on a formation/tactic so were left chopping and changing throughout the season. Positives include going on a streak of 5 games without losing in the league back in February (:eek:), with 3 wins in there, to give us a glimpse of hope. Plus having the money to upgrade our training facilities, and youth facilities so we'll head back to League One as a "bigger" club, and hope to build on these foundations and return to the Championship in the not too distant future!

(another positive is that we've got some cracking players here, which I hope to keep hold of, but I'll do another update once this season is properly done and dusted).

lewis, it's where they should have been all along, that squad is way too good to be where they were. I know it's cheeky to ask again, but if you ever feel like getting the updated transfer budgets for the new game, it would be very useful to add to my reserved posts. Cheers mate.

Not cheeky at all, i'll do them right now. Shouldn't take me long.

EDIT : Done!

Championship budgets - https://i.gyazo.com/32364a5069ec4c19715e91815cfa244e.png

League 1 budgets - https://i.gyazo.com/9473ab0c12847bc7f748a6addecc4f4c.png

League 2 budgets - https://i.gyazo.com/b3792c089f3bf81c5fa6f251eef10265.png

:thup:

Well, we did it... Second promotion in two years, means that Wigan are back in the Premier League:

http://imgur.com/TyIRNe5

Now Begins the search for new players. I managed to extend Jesse Lingard's loan deal for yet another year, so he'll be with us for the 3rd straight year. I need a goalkeeper, a DMC, a central defender and a right winger. With £21 million for transfers, that should be possible to get.

No apologies are needed for a lack of images, personally I think that was a really great update. I've appointed Hockaday as HOYD in the past, and assuming he is rated similar to FM15 he has fairly good stats for that role. I found it interesting to see how you proposed a plan best suited to the decent group of players you have there. I also agree from my time managing them before, that Cox is going to be a very important player. Good luck with your promotion push!

Thanks Jogo! My main concern other than keeping my players happy is my chairman. Mr Becchetti is a very ruthless chairman so I'm hoping if it doesn't go to plan and I don't go up then he lets me keep my job.

Thanks Jogo! My main concern other than keeping my players happy is my chairman. Mr Becchetti is a very ruthless chairman so I'm hoping if it doesn't go to plan and I don't go up then he lets me keep my job.

Indeed, hopefully he isn't unreasonable with you.

@Gizmo: hard luck mate. Hopefully you can bounce back from that next season though - it was always going to be a tough ask.

@Gungner, well done again. I'm struggling near the foot of the Championship table with a fairly strong Coventry squad. Either that means I'm rubbish at FM, or you're great. Hopefully it's more of the latter!

@lewis: thanks again, hopefully later I will open the links and pop them in to the first page of the thread. Much appreciated as always :thup:

Managed to get another 5 games done on my Orient save last night (long gone are the days when I could do half a season in a day!!).

I can't remember all the results off the top of my head but out of the 5 games, I won 3 and drew 2. The two draws came away to Northampton and Cambridge although I could easily have won them. Managed to beat Exeter away and Wycombe (who were top at the time) and Carlisle both at home. Absolutely dominated all three of those games, particularly Wycombe who had no answer to my attacking. The Carlisle game was a frustrating one. I only managed to win 2-1 (they are rock bottom) but I really should have got double figures. I hit the woodwork FIVE times, the keeper made 3 or 4 ridiculous saves and their defenders managed to make FOUR goal line clearances.

I've lost my top scorer Jay Simpson for a few weeks to injury. He's grabbed 4 in 6 although I'm not happy with what they've done to him in the update (given him Shoots with Power PPM which has ruined him because he doesn't score from more than 6 yards away now). Managed to bring Sam Byrne in from Everton on loan for a month to cover Simpsom and he scored 2 in his first 2 games. My wing play has been good, particularly against Carlisle who played a 3-1-4-2. I decided to exploit the right flank where Jahraldo Martin was playing because he's my out and out winger which meant of course that he had a terrible game and both my goals came from play down the left! Stephen Arthurworrey has been a revelation, scoring 3 goals from defence and forming a rock solid partnership with Baudry. Kevin Nolan is yet to score, although he did manage an own goal against Exeter!

All of that has left me in 2nd place (can't remember who is top at the moment). My play has been really good and I look a constant threat going forward which is promising. I also changed to play Fluid Counter rather than Flexible to make sure everyone is chipping in everywhere and I look much better now. Can't complain so far!

So it's pre-season time at Wigan... Going on a Little training camp in Spain, with matches against Córdoba, Almería and Granada. Since it's my first season in the "big Leagues", I needed some new faces. So far I've signed Sergio Romero (Man Utd), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham), Oriol Romeu (Stoke) and Wellington Silva (Arsenal). Now I'm in a Little pickle... I have £9 million left in the transfer kitty, and I can land 20-year old Lewis Cook from Leeds for £7,5 million (all up-front, no future payments)... He's Young and talented and can play both roles I'm using in the central midfield (where I'm lacking man-power). But I'm not sure I wanna spend that much on him. Oh what a dilemma...

Hi everyone, been reading this thread for a while so I thought I'd join in, I've played a season with Southend so far and this is what it looks like:

http://fmshots.com/image/wXI6j

http://fmshots.com/image/wXeqs

http://fmshots.com/image/wXlWS

http://fmshots.com/image/wXomt

http://fmshots.com/image/wXz54

So it was a good first season, Oldham were already champions with about 10 games to go. I actually thought we might not make it because we went on a mini no-win streak but thanks to some bad results for Burton we went up automatically.

And here's what the players were wearing...

http://fmshots.com/image/wOwT5

Just a quick update on my Wigan save, very pleased with the start of the season, especially defensively, conceding the fewest goals in all 4 leagues, just need more goals! Jussi is a beast!

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-09%20at%2022.16.42_zpsur1otniy.png

Disabled transfers in first window, but managed to get Tyias Browning and Jordan Williams in on loan, both good players and very versatile! Will Grigg was injured for 3 weeks, so got Will Keane in for 3 months, scored 50 seconds into his debut, injured after 4 minutes for 4-5 weeks... eventful Wigan career! Michael Jacobs is available after being injured since the first game aswell, so hopefully get him and Grigg fit the goals will come!

Having a very good cup run, result of the season so far... and just got Bolton at home in the 4th round... looking forward to the local derby!! Power was unplayable... screenshot especially for you Alicia :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-09%20at%2022.07.03_zpsriduxwbt.png

Nice to see the Super Reds top of the league in your game Brad. Good win as well, especially with our old players Perkins, Davies and most recently Wabara. Are you playing 5 at the back there? Don't Wigan play with a back 3/5 sometimes in real life?

Cambridge Update - Summer 2018 and early season

A couple of days after my last post here, I got some pretty major news in that we're building a new stadium. It's not that big (just shy of 14k), but given we were averaging 98% attendance, and the club's finances were pretty healthy, it seems a sensible decision from the board. Sadly, I've not done enough yet to get it named after me, and instead they've gone for the phenomenally inventive "Cambridge Stadium".

On the subject of spending money, by my standards, I was positively flashing the cash this transfer window, with no less than three players being bought for a combined total of over £500k, along with a few of the usual free transfers. However, I made most of that money back with the sale of George Ray to Rangers. He was very good for us last year, but he wanted to go, and it wasn't a bad offer, so I said OK and replaced him with a Finnish CB of similar quality by the name of Nieminen for less than a 10th of the price. Steffan Jensen I mentioned in my previous post - a Norwegian regen winger - and he was joined by another member of the U-19 team that won the European championships a year ago in the form of striker Mats Oliver Dahle. Nadeau and Rieble strengthen the defense, while the other two are hot prospects my DoF picked up.

I was a little reluctant to let Hughes go, as he was one of the originals from when I took over, and my captain, but the Championship was probably just a bit too much for him. He's actually joined Ebbsfleet since, and he should do a fantastic job for a team of their level.

CamTransfer1819.jpg

The season has started very well, with me only losing once in the first 11 league games, though we've drawn more than we've won. Did a little better in the league cup than last year, winning our first game, before again being knocked out by lower league opposition, this time Walsall, who won 2-1 with a winner deep into extra time.

CamLTOct18.jpg

The new signings have been pretty good, especially the two Norwegian kids - Jensen is averaging 7.4, while Dahle has 6 goals and the same number of assists in 11 games.

Good win as well, especially with our old players Perkins, Davies and most recently Wabara. Are you playing 5 at the back there? Don't Wigan play with a back 3/5 sometimes in real life?

Perkins has been playing brilliantly for me! No I'm just playing 451, 1dm 2 wingers and 1 up top! I just took Power off to get a standing ovation and put a flat back 5 for the last couple minutes just to hold out for added time! Pretty sure Wabara is only 23!

Who are the other Wigan players playing in goal? Jussi or Lee? How do you get the best from Grigg?

Some brilliant signings there Gungner. Did you go for Lewis Cook in the end?

No, decided against it sadly... They wanted £7,5 mil, all upfront, which I couldn't really afford, since I really need to get a central defender in. Tried to offer a lower up-front number, with some payments after League matches and international matches, but they wanted none of it. I've had an £5 million offer accepted for Paddy McNair of Man Utd, which would sort out my central defense problem. He's rated at £9,75 million, but is in the U21's at Man U, and they accepted my £5 mil offer without negotiation. (He's not transfer listed).

Archived