The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

merry christmas everyone!

I still haven't sorted out the bug i've been seeing despite trying everything which is worrying... I think it's having an impact on our results now which is incredibly annoying. Maybe i'll keep going and then see if it goes away if I can manage to change club, but otherwise it's going to be tough to complete the rest of the challenge.

TqaWAfW.png

Egypt 2022 World Cup report

Merry Christmas everyone, hope it fills up the trophy cabinets around this thread! :) Here is my next attempt – an admittedly very long shot at the World Cup with Egypt.

@Fadedaf – I don’t get that bug, sounds really annoying… I just get a weird bug with the pre-season tour, and some players called up internationally during a league game, but nothing that bad. Have you posted it in the bugs forum?

My main aim with Egypt is to win the ACON, but the squad is decent – a good blend of youth and experience – and some good wins in friendlies and qualifiers gave me hope that we can advance beyond the group. The group was very tough though – France, Portugal, and, ok, Venezuela. France are ranked 1st in the world, Portugal 10th, and the world cup has been moved to Argentina.

Group stage

Spoiler

France 0 – 4 Egypt. Goals: Salah, Hassan(2), Ramzy.

Ok, no way I expected this. Safe to say it was much closer than the scoreline suggests, and they hit the woodwork a few times. But still, we edged it in terms of gameplay, and were excellent in both penalty boxes.

Venezuela 1 – 3 Egypt. Goals: Salah(2), Sobhi

I picked a weakened team, but like Roy Hodgson and David Moyes would say, there are no easy games at this level, and we went into half-time 1-0 down. Half-time substitutions and a Sir Alex style team-talk did the trick in the end, even though it was 1-1 until the 86th minute

Egypt 2 – 4 Portugal. Goals: Gamal, Elnery

Rested a couple of players and it was a bit ropey at times, but we still finished top of the group thanks to our superior goal difference (us, Portugal and France had 6 points each). France also go through by the virtue of 1 goal.

Second Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Egypt 4 – 3 Ecuador aet. Goals: Ghazal, Hassan(2), Al Soleyya.

We were 3-0 up after 60 minutes, I subbed some players and switched to a more defensive tactic. Then their regen striker decided to score a 30-minute hat-trick, his first goals for the country – well done him… Glad we came through in the end but now my players are knackered; Poland are up next so guess we still have a chance.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Poland p. 1 – 1 Egypt. Goals: Salah.

It was a very dramatic game, but just like most modern drama films, it had a rather tragic ending. We dominated during the normal time, think Poland had no shots in the first half – but we couldn’t find a breakthrough. Then my fullback got 2 yellows in 2 minutes to send himself off in extra time. Still, we managed to go ahead through Salah in the 106th minute, and wasted 2 or 3 more glorious chances. Poland then went on and scored in the last minute of extra time. Onto penalties and more of the same again, we go 2 up but then mess it up so on it goes, and in the end we lose 6-5 after 10 penalties each.

Gutted really is an understatement after all this.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Third Place Playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

After the tournament

Spoiler

We did really well, but I’m still fuming over that defeat to Poland. Still, we would’ve probably lost in the semis in any case, as we were scheduled to face hosts Argentina. I’d like to sort out myself tactically a bit, really struggling to find a good defensive variation of the 4-3-3 – unlike with the strikerless tactic, where I had a nice shut-out version. I think it has something to do with the full-backs, leave them on attack and we get exposed, but put them on defend and the whole team dynamic breaks down.

Anyway, for now it’s onwards to the ACON with Egypt. Salah and Hassan were brilliant for me in attack during the World Cup, so I’m hoping they stay fit.

Edited by dkouv

@dkouv great work in the World Cup, sounds like you have a great chance at the next ACON. And yeah I have reported the bug, no response yet, so I might try and play on with it and hope it doesn't affect results too much but if it does I may have to start again, which is a shame because I really thought I was starting to get somewhere.

@kernunos unlucky to lose the save but good luck starting again, any plan on where to start this time?

@Fadedaf I not have a real plan for where to start. If offered a job, I think I will take the job. So I can start building a history and get licenced.

My setup of the game in FM2017

I started the game with the following Nations:

England                     - Sky Bet League Two and above

Germany                    - German Second Division and above

Spain                          - Spanish Second Division and above

Holland                      - Jupiler League and above

Northern Ireland       - NIFL Championship and above

Republic of Ireland   - Irish First Division and above

Scotland                    - Ladbrokes Championship and above

Wales                         - Dafabet Welsh Premier League

Denmark                    - Danish First Division and above

Finland                       - Finish First Division and above

Norway                      - Norwegian First Division and above

Sweden                      - Swedish First Division Elite and above

Australia                    - Hyundai A-League only

China                         - Chinese National First Division and above

South Africa              - South African National First Division and above

USA                            - Major League Soccer only

When the game progresses and it is needed to add/remove leagues, that will be done. When adding a Nation, I will add the 2 highest divisions. The 3 biggest nations of Europe (England, Germany, Spain) and my homeland (Holland) will never be removed from the game.

With no licence and no experience as a manager, it will be hard to find a job. Also it might not be appealing that I am 20 years old. So many players will be older and wonder how that will work out. Sending an application when a job is available, will not lead to being hired in most cases. So I will not send many applications but just wait for a team to offer me a job.

Great to see plenty of progress here, unfortunately i felt my save was getting a little stale so i took a few weeks away from it. Then my brother decided to get me FM 17 for Xmas and now i find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I'm keen to try a one-club challenge like Dafuge's and i'm also very keen to play FM 17 but i dont wanna totally give up on this Challenge as i'm pretty close to completing it. When i last saved, i was 1 point clear of the top of Lique 1 with 15 games to play, and still in the French Cup. I reckon i could finish this challenge off in about another 2-3 months, but can i resist the temptation of FM 17.

Enjoying reading everyone's progress. Just finished my first season. This was my first football manager save since 2014 so I wasn't very optimistic beforehand since I quit playing in 2014 because I was rubbish at the game but I was willing to give this challenge a good go. I was unemployed for about 4 months, had a interviews with a few Chinese clubs and one German club without success but I ended up at Dover who were 17th in the Vanarma National League. The board expected me to finish mid table which I thought was achievable with the squad that we had. For the first 10 or so games I played a 4-2-3-1 however it just wasn't working as we were drawing to many games. We lost 3 games in a row at one point which saw us slip down into 18th. It's a good job I don't own a dog as I couldn't hold onto a lead. The board and fans started to turn on me and I thought I was doomed for the sack. So I changed formation to a 3-1-4-2 in the hopes of turning the season around and it worked a treat. We went on a fantastic run towards the end of the season which saw us finish in 7th position. We also had a great run in the FA trophy as we made it into the final but sadly we lost 5-4 against Lincoln. I've attached a few screenshots below. Only included the second half of the season fixtures as the first half was awful.

Vanarama National League_ Overview Stages.png

Dover Athletic_  Senior Fixtures.png

Lincoln v Dover_ Overview Overview.png

Edited by heatedbread

Season 1 :     2016/17         Started unemployed and no licences

I became manager of Leyton Orient at the start of 2017, after signing a contract till 30-6-2018. At that moment Leyton Orient was at 10th position in the Sky Bet League 2. We had 36 points after 25 matches were played (9-9-7). We did still have every chance to reach either a play-off spot or a direct promotion spot. It was at the moment not possible to start a course to get a licence. Hopefully I can start at the beginning of the new season.

I believed the squad had the quality to win promotion to the English Sky Bet League 1. To deal with injuries and bans, I decided to strengthen the defence and so I signed Bob Harris (left defender) and Ivica Majstorovic (central defender). Both joined on a free transfer.

With the players available in the team, I believed that a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic was the best choice. I did use that tactic every match and it was successful. In the Sky Bet League 2 we played 21 matches in which we scored 44 goals and conceded 16 goals. The 15 victories and 6 draws were enough to finish at the top of the table. We managed to win promotion to the Sky Bet League 1 as the champions.

When I joined Leyton Orient, the only Cup that we still were able to win this season was the FA Cup. As we lost the replay in the FA Cup third round, we only played 1 cup match with me as the manager. It also was the only defeat for me this season.

Silverware Season 2016/17

England         :           Champions: Arsenal               English FA Cup:         Manchester United

Germany        :           Champions: Bayern               German Cup:              Bayern

Spain              :           Champions: Barcelons          Spanish Cup:              Barcelona

Holland          :           Champions: Ajax                   Dutch Cup:                 FC Groningen

European Champions Cup                         : Leicester City*         

Euro Cup                                                       : Manchester United

Euro Super Cup                                           : Real Madrid

Club World Championship                         : Real Madrid

* So the miracle of Leicester City continues in Europe as they manage to win the Champions Cup. Will they also manage to win the Club World Championship in the coming season.

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

Season	Team			Position					Notes
2016/17	Leyton Orient FC	1st	English Sky Bet League 2	Joined in January after 25 matches / Won Promotion to Sky Bet League 1

PERSONAL PRICES

Season	Team				Price
2016/17	Leyton Orient FC		Manager of the Month (February/March)

Team:                    Leyton Oriënt  (seasons: 1)

League  :               21           15           6              0             44           16

Other     :                 1             0           0              1               1             2

Manager:              Pat van Dijk

Career   :               22           15           6              1             45           18

Edited by kernunos

@kernunos I think you might have to send applications for jobs. I'll certainly be interested to see what kind of jobs you get offered without applying. I don't think applying for jobs harms your reputation, but even if it did, you don't have enough of a reputation to damage yet anyway. Mind you, I salute you for your pride. I follow the same principle myself. I don't approach beautiful women. I wait for them to approach me. It leaves me a lot of time to play Football Manager.

UPDATE - So Leyton Orient. Did you have to apply to them? Congrats on a great first season.

@heatedbread Welcome to the challenge. I hope that you can get Dover up the ladder quickly with your revised tactics.

@Fadedaf It's a pity that you seem to be the only one facing this problem. Hope you are able to load up your save and get it fixed. If it continues to be unbearable, you could do an experiment where you quit and take another job to see if it is club specific.

@JoeLapira I had the same issue with FM16. I had the game, but wanted to finish my FM15 challenge. Luckily I always hated FM16. I mean, primarily I thought it was not really much different from FM15, but also I never had success with it. Not that I go out of my way to get steam achievements, but I did notice that I'd got more FM17 ones after 2 months than I picked up in 7 months or so of FM16. May I suggest trying the youth challenge of FM17, if only because it's so difficult that you will probably fail after the first season, and hopefully have your pallet / (palate?) cleansed for another try at finishing this challenge. I'll be honest though. There are little things about FM17 that I really like and would miss if I had to go back to playing FM16, (winning matches being the main thing I would miss. I really sucked at FM16).

Not many people can achieve this challenge in a calendar year. Most of us have to accept that we'll have to resist the lure of the shiny new version for a while, though I started off with the beta, because I have actually set myself the challenge of a calendar year. Some people have achieved more quickly of course. I think Sankalan did it in about a month.

@dkouv Congrats on over-achieving at the World Cup. Hopefully that will put you in good stead for the ACON? Africa is tough internationally for me, because there's so many good team. I've had really tough draws for both the World Cup and ACON. Are you bothering with the CHAN. It's much better now that it's the B team that have to do the qualifying, but I think my main team will be playing the finals. I'm looking forward to it because for the first time I'm going there with S Africa, and of course also for the first time ever in this challenge I'm managing a nation's domestic and national teams at the same time. Also, although my Orlando Pirates team seem awesome, not many of them are actually good enough to get into the national team, because of players playing overseas, so I'm looking forward to the CHAN for the first time. My guess is that it will be easy-peasy.

I think the bug has finally fixed itself! I played on until the end of the season and it seems to have gone away finally. So expect a long end of season update soon (finally!) I would've finished this season about a week ago without the bug I think but oh well.

tumblr_static_2t8myfym4yyo08gkcws8cso8o.

Jeonbuk Season 2028 Report

Hello and welcome to what has seemed like the longest season of FM ever! I had high hopes for Jeonbuk in all competitions this season, and was hoping especially to win the Asian Champions League in order to finally celebrate some continental success. About two thirds of the way through the season, I noticed a bug where team training was constantly set to very high intensity- team cohesion which was making all of the players very angry and tired and really started throwing out our rhythm. Since these guys had been playing together for 2 years now, I hardly think they needed any more team cohesion! All I can imagine is just long days of really intense trust falls and such. Anyways, they obviously became best buddies by force, united in their hate for their horrible tyrant of a manager who was insisting on this useless training. The bug gradually changed so that it was setting random different trainings and intensities each week and then finally just allowing my normal trainings to take place. So it is fixed for now despite the ridiculous mid-season trainings that my squad were forced through. While trying to fix the bug I kept imagining all of my players forming a band or something since they had become so close, and I thought maybe since I had 7 players in my squad named Park (obviously a common Korean name), that they'd be called the Park's. I even decided which player would play which instrument... But anyways here's how the actual football went:

League- We totally dominated, climbing to first within the first few weeks and staying there all season long. We undoubtedly have the best team in Korea and it showed. We suffered only 1 loss in the first half of the season but the bug-affected second half meant we suffered 6 more. We still won with several weeks to spare, finishing 6 points above Ulsan in second. 

Cup- smashed 2 lower league sides then beat Sangju 3-0 and narrowly beating Ulsan 1-0 to send us into the final. We faced Gangwon from the league below us and were able to win 2-0 at home then hold on to a 0-0 draw away and give us another title.

Champions League- We were drawn into a group with Magwe of Myanmar, Shandong of China and Sydney FC from Australia. We topped the group easily with 5 wins and a draw and we drew another Korean side in Pohang in the second round. We beat them 7-2 on aggregate to send us into a semi against Ulsan, the 'best of the rest' in South Korea. This was during the bug-affected period but we managed to just edge 2-1 and 1-0 wins to go through 3-1 on aggregate. We then faced Sydney FC for a spot in the final. Still suffering form the bug, we won the first leg very narrowly 1-0 then were completely outplayed in the return, but a wonder strike from outside the box in the 88th minute gifted us a 1-1 draw and a place in the final against Al-Ahli of Saudi Arabia. We made no mistakes here as we crushed them 5-1 on aggregate. Champions of Asia, a treble for Jeonbuk and my first continental trophy towards the challenge! It also brings me up to 10 challenge trophies so far, so progress is certainly being made! Before my attempts at this challenge my greatest FM achievement was winning the Asian CL with Brisbane Roar so I definitely enjoy this competition.

Club World Cup- We faced Monterrey in the quarter final and it was a game for the ages. Down 3-0 at half time I gave the most inspiring team talk of my life and the lads came all the way back to 3-3 before the 90 minutes was up. In extra time we conceded again, then quickly replied with an excellent free kick goal before one of my centre backs got himself sent off. We held out and the match finished 4-4. I looked at my penalty takers and I was not confident, but we made 6 in a row before my star centre back had his saved into the post and stop on the goal line to give Monterrey a 7-6 victory in penalties. I wasn't too disappointed to be honest, it was a great performance from my lads as they showed they had what it took against a classy, top Mexican side. The 5th place playoff saw us face Ajax CT from South Africa and it was another classic match, as we received 2 red cards but still managed to win 3-2, a great final match for me as Jeonbuk manager. We may not have won the CWC but we did set a new record for worst discipline, 3 red cards and 11 yellows in just 2 matches. No one could say that we didn't get stuck in! That combined with the 7 goals we scored meant it was a banger of a tournament despite our lowly 5th place finish.

Results Results 2

Best Players: Top Goalscorer, most assists + most POM- Park Hong-Sun (41 goals, 25 assists, 11 POM) An awesome season for the young striker, definitely the lead singer of the Park's. A great effort to finish with 11 more goals and 20 more assists than last season!

Highest avg rating- Park Jae-Won (7.66, 6 goals, 10 assists, 4 POM) our backup wide/central midfielder had to fill in quite a bit this year due to injuries and ended up playing in 4 different positions. he did very well in the time he was given on the field. Keyboard player for the Park's

I also took charge in a few U23 international tournaments this year, mainly just out of interest and to see if it would help me get some senior jobs. I managed to win the U23 Asian Cup with South Korea and took France U23 to the final of the Olympics where we were thrashed 4-0 by Spain, so just a silver medal for us. Haven't seen any senior jobs come up for a while but hopefully i'll be able to make some international progress soon.

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Royal Eagles     1st                  -               KO Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2018/19      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               FA Cup runners up, CL qualification, CL ongoing
2019/20      Royal Eagles     1st              Semi Final          KO Cup winners, FA Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2020/21      Royal Eagles     --               Semi Final          KO Cup winners, Super 8 runners up, left halfway through the season for Molde
2021         Molde            1st                  -               Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2022         Molde            --                   -               Undefeated and 1st in the league when I left for Genk
2022/23      Genk             1st                  -               EL Semi finalists
2023/24      Genk             2nd              Group Stage         Super Cup winners, Cup runners up, EL Quarter finalists
2024/25      Genk             1st               Playoff            Cup winners, CL qualification
2025/26      Saint Etienne    3rd                  -               Supercup winners, Cup runners up, EL Semi finals, MOTS, CL qualification
2026/27      Saint Etienne    3rd               Playoff            Cup winners, EL Quarter finals, CL qualification
2027         Jeonbuk          1st              Semi Final          Took over in 6th position, CL qualification
2028         Jeonbuk          1st              CHAMPIONS           Cup winners, MOTS, FA cup best manager, CL qualification, 5th in CWC

Challenge Progress

Club
 4/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa- Royal Eagles, Norway- Molde, Belgium- Genk, South Korea- Jeonbuk)
 5/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde, Belgian Cup- Genk, Coupe de la Ligue(France)- Saint Etienne, Korean FA Cup- Jeonbuk)
 1/5 club continental championships (Asian CL- Jeonbuk 2028) 
 0/1 club world championship

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
Season       Team             Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2018        China U23         Won Asian Games
2019        Cameroon          Started ACON qualification, switched to Algeria
2019        Algeria           Resigned after 2 games
2021        Nigeria           Qualified for world cup, ACON qualification ongoing
2022        Nigeria           Knocked out of World Cup in group stage, resigned
2023        Ivory Coast       Started World Cup and ACON qualifying.
2024        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2025        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned.
2026        Ghana             Qualified for ACON
2027        Ghana             ACON runners up, resigned.
2028        SK + France U23   Won U23 Asian Cup, Olympic silver medallists

Time for another Challenge XI, it's been a while since this was updated.

Goalkeeper- Muhammad Nashnoush (Royal Eagles). Great name, pretty solid keeper too. Libyan international who was undisputed number 1 for 2 seasons.

Left back- Maurice Sery (Royal Eagles, Ivory Coast and Genk) very talented fullback from Mali who i've coached in 3 teams now. He provided his best performances in the KRC Genk shirt especially in my final double-winning season.

Centre Back- Lee Jong-Soo (Jeonbuk) A rock at the centre of defence in the treble winning Jeonbuk side of '28

Centre Back- Keanu Cupido (Royal Eagles). Came of age in my penultimate season with RE, winning his first caps for South Africa and cementing his place in the starting XI. Was rated as the best player in our team by the coaching staff at age 21 with plenty of room to improve. 

Right Back- Ayoub El-Khaliqi (Royal Eagles). Moroccan fullback who was at the core of the defence for ages providing loads of assists every season.

Right Midfield- Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Genk) The Armenian veteran was absolutely superb when brought into my Genk team, fitting my formation perfectly.

Central Midfield- Hans Stevens (Genk). Supremely talented youngster who was ever present in the league-winning Genk sides.

Central Midfield- Lorenzo Pellegrini (Saint Etienne). Italian box to box midfielder who has been instrumental in Saint Etienne's successes, always there to provide a clutch goal from outside the box as well. Great goalscoring midfielder.

Left Midfield- Patrick Roberts (Molde). He usually plays on the right but can cover both sides. Previously a Man City flop who was brought to Molde to play out wide and provided heaps of asissts and goals in a great season. Player of the season winner for both Molde and the Norwegian Premier league.

Striker- Park Hong-Sun (Jeonbuk) Absolutely lethal scoring 71 goals in the time I was at Jeonbuk and helped us win 4 trophies in a season and a half.

Striker- Patrick Garba (Genk). Lethal finisher who was consistently dangerous in a double-winning Genk side.

Season 2026/27 report - Stoke City, Manchester City and England

It's 2027, and after winning the FA Cup with Stoke I thought top 4 might be a possibility. In January we were 6th but only 3 points off the CL spots. However, the Man City job became available and I was the front-runner. I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity so I applied for it and got it. City were still in the CL and were 2nd on goal difference in the Premier League so it wasn't like I inherited a struggling side.

I was given £92m to spend in the January window and most of it went on Lawrence Lawson - a 22 year old England and Chelsea midfielder as I sought not only to bring success to the club, but also to build something and make City a club that ironically is modelled on United - a core of British talent with plenty of focus on good youth development. So I started to rid the club of players that were either too old, on too much money or not in keeping with my new philosophy. Out went 33 year old Raheem Sterling, 34 year old John Stones and 32 year old Andre Cubas which saved the club about a million quid a week alone in wages. 

I brought through a few choice youngsters and before you know it found myself top of the pile and into the semis of the Champions League. Our strikeforce of Englishman Kel Rogers and Egyptian Abdul Fatah were unbelievable, with the latter ending up with 40 goals in all competitions. We ended up fighting our bitter rivals Man Utd on all three fronts, as we met them in the FA Cup final (a win on penalties for us), the Premier League (we won it by 2 points) and the Champions League final (a more comfortable 3-1 victory). In the space of a fortnight we had completed the treble. 

Despite this achievement and the fact it now meant I'd won the Champions League on 4 continents, I couldn't help but feel a little empty. After all, I'd taken over an already great squad and merely guided it to where it was heading anyway. On paper I now had a Premier League title and a Uefa Champions League medal under my belt, but in reality I felt that I couldn't really claim the victory as mine and therefore felt the need to do it again with a squad I could call my own, as opposed to simply leaving now I'd done what I'd set out to.

After the CL final victory in the Camp Nou over United I set about dismantling the now ageing (but still very good) squad, out went Dembele, Beradi, Ricardo Rodriguez, Eric Dier, Lewis Cook and Emre Can and I was given a £180m warchest to overhaul the squad. More to come later...

Season       Team             Position         Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015         Goyang HI FC     5th
2015/16      Vasco CT         14th             South African Divison 1
2016/17      Vasco CT         1st              Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Vasco CT         7th             
2018/19      Vasco CT         1st              South African FA Cup
2019/20      Vasco CT         1st              African Champions League/South Africa Super 8 winners
2021         Shandong         3rd              Chinese FA Cup
2022         Shandong         1st              Chinese FA Cup and Chinese Super League
2023         Shandong         1st              Asian Champions League, Chinese FA Cup and Chinese Super League
2024         Fluminense FC    1st              Brazilian Serie A winners. 
2025         Fluminense FC    1st              Brazilian Serie A winners. Copa Libertadores winners. South-Minas-Rio Cup winners. Rio State Championship
2026         Stoke City       13th             English FA Cup 
2027         Stoke City/Manchester City  1st   English FA Cup, English Premier League, UEFA Champions League

International Management
2017 - Mali
2018 - Mali
2019 - Mali                                    African Cup of Nations winners
2023 - Honduras
2023 - Chile
2024 - Chile
2025 - Chile
2026 - England

Challenge Progress

Club
 4/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa 2019, China 2022, 2023, Brazil 2024, 2025, England 2027)
 4/10 top domestic cups (South Africa FA Cup 2019, Chinese FA Cup 2021, 2022, 2023, Brazilian Cup 2025, English FA Cup 2026, 2027)
 4/5 club continental championships (African Champions League 2020, Asian Champions League 2023, Copa Libertadores 2025, UEFA Champions League 2027)
 1/1 club world championship (Fluminense 2025)

International
 1/5 continental tournaments (Mali AFCON 2019)
 0/2 world tournaments

Pug's Season Update 2018-19

tH0FgkS.png

With 22 Games Of The Season Gone I Took Over At Gladbach,Contract. Who Were Sitting In 7th Place.League When I Took Over. With 7 Wins 1 Draw And 4 Losses We Managed To Finish In 5th Place.Final Table.

Results

In The DFB-Pokal  My First Game Was A 3rd Round Tie Against  Hoffenheim  And A 3-0 Win. Up Next Was A Q-Final Tie With Bielefeld And a 3-1 Win. So On To A S-Final Against Kaiserslautern And A 4-0 Win. So Into The Final And A Crushing 1-2 Loss To The 2nd Bottom Freiburg.

Cup Results

Season Review

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys
2018/19    Gladbach
2019/20    Gladbach
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation   Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                 World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                          Won
  Challenge Progress

Club

1/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea)
1/10  Top Domestic Cups (S/Korea)
1/5   Continentals Cups (Ulsan)
1/1   Club World Cup (Ulsan)

International

1/5   Continental Tournaments (Nigeria)
0/2   World Tournaments

wow, lots of updates to catch up on!

@Fadedaf Nice work with Jeonbuk, just realised that you're actually half-way through on the club side of things, that's some progress after your South African mis-adventures! I simply had to count the number of Parks on my team after your update, but I only got 3. Let's hope I can win some silverware nevertheless. Or if I don't, at least sign some Parks in the next transfer window.

@vikeologist Yes, I have hope for ACON but also don't want to get too disappointed if I don't win it this time around. There are better african teams around than Poland, for sure. Actually, a job at Ivory Coast came up after the World Cup, and they seem to be one of the stronger teams. I was tempted, but felt too loyal to Egypt and stayed put. Now slightly regretting it after a 1-1 draw with Sudan in the ACON qualifying group...

@SavoNFFC Looks like you'll be splashing the cash there; but I really do wish there was a 40-goal-a-season Egyptian striker on my save. Salah still seems to be the top player in my side.

Danny_H22 2019/2020 Season Report

TNS.jpg

After two relatively successful seasons with Newtown, the TNS job became available and I decided to put my name forward for the role. It was going to be really difficult to win the league if I stuck with Newtown and so when TNS offered me the job, I jumped at the opportunity. I was sad to move on as I had grown very attached to Newtown, but it was the right time to move on and attempt to win my first league. I adopted a squad that was far better than our nearest rivals and expectations that represented that. Honestly, I wasn't expecting there to be any real challenges this season and this proved true with us easily winning the treble. We also picked up Manager of the Year, Player of the Year, Top Goalscorer, Goal of the Season and 7 players in the Team of the Season.

On a personal level, I achieved a couple more coaching badges and I am well on my way to becoming fully qualified. My reputation has also risen to 30% as I finish the season 8th on the Welsh League Hall of Fame.

Welsh Premier League- A fantastic start to the season saw us win 16 games on the bounce between September and January before Bangor City beat us 2-0 and gave us our second loss of the season. A few more wins and we dropped further points to Connah's Quay in a 3-0 lose in the last game of the regular 22 game season. Our good form continued for the Championship Playoffs and with four games remaining, we were declared league champions! All in a fantastic season for TNS, but I was disappointed in how many games in which we dropped points. In the end, we won the league by 25 points so it didn't really matter.If I stick around next season then I want an unbeaten season.

JD FAW Welsh Cup- An easy run saw us line up against Bangor City in the final game of the season. What followed was a rather one-sided (65% possession and 25 shots) 2-1 victory in which they scored an 80th-minute penalty. Our third trophy of the season and the domestic treble!

theWord Cup- A final with Carmarthen awaited us after beating Bala 5-1 in the semi-final. We went into half time 2-1 down and needless to say, a stern talking to and a change of tactics followed. 5 second half goals led to an eventual 6-2 win and our first trophy of the season. I retained the cup after my success with Newtown last season.

UEFA Champions League-  After beating Sligo Rovers in the first qualifying round, we came up against a tough opponent in IFK Goteborg who beat us 5-1 over the two legs. We weren't expected to achieve anything but it is a shame to not go further in the competition.

Top Goalscorer- Gozie Ugwu and no one was even close. 34 league goals and 50 goals in total saw him smash league and club records in a very successful season. He was key to my treble success. Elliot Whitehouse with 22 in 35 came second from AMC.

Most Assists- Joseph N'Guessan finished the season with 17 assists and 12 goals in 38 games, closely followed by Elliot Whitehouse with 16 assists to go along with his 22 goals. Ugwa managed an impressive 14 assists to prove that he wasn't just a goalscoring machine.

Highest Avg rating- Unsurprisingly, Ugwu finished the season with a 7.97 over 44 games. Impressive.

Most POM- Another obvious one here. Ugwu with 13.

International- Not much to report here. A loss over two legs to Angola saw us dumped out in the World Cup Qualifiers in the second round. I don't see myself having a long career with Togo, but for now I will just try my best and see what happens.

Goals for Next Season- I don't know. If I stick around then I want to achieve another coaching badge and try for an unbeaten league season. I will have one eye on the available jobs, though, in case a chance to move on to a bigger club comes around.

Season       Team             Position         Continental       Notes and Achievements     
2016/17      Newtown          8th                  -              Took over in November
2017/18      Newtown          3rd                  -             
2018/19      Newtown          3rd       First Qualifying Round    Won theWord Cup and Manager of the Year
2019/20      TNS              1st       Second Qualifying Round   Won theWord Cup and JD FAW Welsh Cup. Retained the Manager of the Year. 

Challenge Progress

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues (TNS- Welsh Premier League 2020)
 1/10 domestic cups (Newtown-theWord Cup 2019, TNS- theWord Cup 2020, JD FAW Welsh Cup 2020)
 0/5 club continental championships 

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2018/19      Togo             Appointed manager of Togo
2019/20      Togo             Knocked out of World Cup Qualifiers in second round

@dkouv yeah i've come a long way since my Royal Eagles days for sure. Good luck in Korea winning trophies and recruiting a few more Park's haha. I'm in a bit of a dilemma myself as I don't know where I want to go next! I have a job offer sitting in my inbox from Fiorentina who are sort of an upper mid table kind of club in Italy at this point which does kind of interest me but maybe I should hold out for something better in South America or Mexico perhaps.

looks like great progress from @pug 407 and @Danny_H22, keep it up guys!

I don't really know what my next step is going to be. Winning everything in my first season at TNS means I don't really have any reason to stay there, other than doing it all again and hoping a big club recognises that achievement and offers me a job. There's currently two available jobs in Australia that I'm toying with, but I don't know whether to stay at TNS and apply or resign and test the free agent market. 

oh and @vikeologist - I'm not bothering with the CHAN at the moment, but more because it's off my radar, as you say the quals are B team so I don't know if I qualified, or when it takes place. Also it's not really a competition I've heard of much IRL; but then I can say the same about Asian Champ League :) Just looked it up and looks like only players playing in Egypt are eligible, so it'd be pretty thin on talent even if I do qualify!

EDIT: And now I realised that there must've been a CHAN in 2022 before the World Cup, when I was already manager, so we must have either not qualified, or my B team manager or assistant took charge - I'm guessing we didn't qualify. Will be looking out for this in the future, looks like an interesting tournament...

Edited by dkouv

Great reading everyone's progress in this challenge.

I've been tinkering around with FM17 since I bought it about a month ago and I've just started my attempt with this version - I've loaded leagues from England, Italy, Greece and Turkey (I've never managed in Greece or Turkey ever before)

I'll post screenshots a bit later, but I've got the gig at Kissamikos who play in the second tier of the Greek League.
Finances are rubbish, they're hovering around the relegation zone and they won't fund a coaching badge for me......what have I let myself in for??!!

My previous two attempts, I've tried to win trophies really quickly, but this time I'm going to try and build a career and reputation and see how I get on........I'm struggling to find a decent tactic though!!

@threelions1goal 3L1G - Great to see you back. Hope you get on well at Kissamikos.

@dkouv The CHAN is usually a nightmare. Nothing to gain, lots to lose, because crashing out can put your job in peril. Plus you have to waste your time on it. It's much better on FM17, because your B team does the qualifying, or not, and so your B team manager gets the blame if you don't qualify. I managed one of the qualifying matches, but let someone else manage once I realised how easy it was going to be. (18-1 aggregate over the 4 matches). But now it's the final, it's the 'A' team that plays. As I say looking forward to it. Just hope that the team(s) (as there's considerable cross-over between club / CHAN squad) doesn't pick up too many injuries. This is the only time I will enjoy playing in it, but I'll be disappointed if we win any match by less than 5 goals.

@Danny_H22 Congrats on your league title. It can be difficult for the challenge achieving success too quickly, but hopefully your reputation is established enough to get you a decent job. Tiny-rep nations like Wales though can be disappointing in terms of next jobs though.

@Ethan_X_02 Welcome to the challenge. So are Cambridge league 2? Why are you going to retain Australia. Hoping to manage the national team? I don't actually know whether we've had anyone manage in Australia in FM17 yet.

@Fadedaf Welcome to the leaderboard. It's certainly a tricky decision as to whether to take jobs at your stage that will probably take more than a couple of seasons to win the league.

@pug 407 Wow, great progress. You might even do the challenge faster this year.

@SavoNFFC Congrats on your latest achievements. Having a few page loading problems with this site at the moment, but if I manage to post this, I'll check that the leader board reflects your progress. Apologies if I missed the last few achievements.

3 hours ago, Ethan_X_02 said:

Although I had a successful stint at Cambridge United, I have decided to not renew my contract and will let it run out on the 30th of June, with aspirations of landing a job at a top South African team or a decent Asian team. If none of this is possible, then a do hope for a job at a top League 1 side, or low Championship side. 

I feel like I should warn you that this is not the way that the game has worked in the past. Any increase in your reputation will not translate this quickly to getting a better job. In fact your attractiveness to clubs (if you quit Cambridge) might actually be lower than when you started the challenge.

I may be wrong. I don't think any of us understand how the getting new jobs side of things work, and SI definitely made some changes in the last update; particularly in regard to the likelihood of getting a club job when you are an international manager, but the experience of challengers up to now, over the last few years, has been that you would stand zero chance of getting the kind of job that you've stated above, and I think zero chance of even getting another job as good as Cambridge.

Quitting could derail your challenge.

As I say though, things may be different now, and if you're not having fun at Cambridge, then I guess you should quit and get a job you enjoy.

@vikeologist So now and then I did apply for a job, just in case. And so yes, I did send an application to Leyton Oriënt and they invited me for an interview

@Ethan_X_02 I would keep in mind that for certain jobs, you might need a certain Licence or that teams expect you to have at least a certain licence

Season 2 :      2017/18         Leyton Orient back in the English Sky Bet League 1

After winning the title in the Sky Bet League 2, it was time for my first complete season as manager of Leyton Orient. As Leyton was not a very rich club, I decided to strengthen the squad by free players or hire players. In total 10 new players joined at Brisbane Road. In the first months of the seaon, a total of 9 players came in on a free transfer and 1 player was hired. As Cornick was hired last season, I did not count him as a new player.

When the season in the Sky Bet League 1 started, I hoped I had strengthen our team enough to avoid relegation this season. It was expected that Leyton Orient would be found at 15th position at the end of the season. So this was a safe spot and we would play in the Sky Bet League 2 also next season.

At the start of the season, we had difficulty to find the back of the net. In the first 5 matches in the Sky Bet league 1 we only scored 4 goals (with max 1 goal a match) and conceded only 3 goals. As a result, 4 matches ended in a draw and 1 was won. Sure not that bad to start with but we needed to find the net more often. During the rest of the season we were able to score more goals per match and more matches ended in a victory and slowly we were climbing the table. Teams did not like to play a match against Leyton Orient as it was very difficult to break through our defence and beat our goalkeeper. And so it became clear to the press and also the other teams that this season might become a successful one for Leyton Orient. For a long period it was a battle between Peterborough United, Luton Town and Leyton Orient for both the title and the promotion spots. Though Luton Town had been at the top of the table for a long period, they lost the battle and even Swindon Town was able to go past them on the table. The fight between Peterborough United and Leyton Town was there till the last match of the season and it was finally won by Peterborough United.

We ended the season on the second spot and won direct promotion to the Sky Bet Championship. In the Sky Bet League 1 we played 46 matches of which 25 were won, 18 ended in a draw and only 3 were lost. We managed to score 84 goals and conceded 38 goals. Looking at these figures, it was clear that we lost the title because to many matches ended in a draw. Peterborough United lost this season 10 matches and the conceded 46 goals.

We have had an excellent season as Leyton Town was seen as a posible relegation candidate and at the end we managed to win a promotion

Where we did well in the Sky Bet league 1, in the Cups we did not get very far. In the EFL we managed to get to the 2nd round as we were able to win the first match. In the Checkatrade Trophy we played 3 matches in the group stage. We finished 3rd in the group with 1 draw and 2 defeats. The FA Cup was also not a success as we already lost the first match. And so we could concentrate on the Sky Bet League 1 from begin November. Though we had hoped to reach a few more rounds in the Cups, I did know that I was taken some risk as I did rest several regular players. For me this season it was important that we would avoid relegation.

It was not easy for me to convince the Board to allow me start a Coaching Coarse. At first they did not have the financial position. Once the finance was there, they believed that I was needed at the club and so there was no time for the Coaching Coarse. But finally they did understand that would benefit if I was a licenced manager. And so I was able to get the National C Licence.

Silverware Season 2017/18

England         :           Champions: Manchester City             English FA Cup:         Arsenal

Germany        :           Champions: Bayern                           German Cup:             Bayern

Spain              :           Champions: Real Madrid                   Spanish Cup:             Real Madrid

Holland          :           Champions: Ajax                               Dutch Cup:                  FC Groningen      

European Champions Cup                         : Juventus

Euro Cup                                                       : Arsenal

Euro Super Cup                                           : Manchester United

Club World Championship                         : Leicester City *

* And the fairytale continues as after winning the Premier Division and the Champions Cup also the Club World Championship was won.

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

Season	Team			Position					Notes
2016/17	Leyton Orient FC	1st	English Sky Bet League 2	Joined in January after 25 matches / Won promotion to Sky Bet League 1
2017/18	Leyton Orient FC	2nd	English Sky Bet League 1	Won promotion to Sky Bet Championship

PERSONAL PRICES

Season	Team				Personal Price
2016/17	Leyton Orient FC		Manager of the Month (February/March)
2017/18	Leyton Orient FC		Manager of the Month (October/March) / Manager of the Year

Season 2017/18                                                 PLD        WIN        DRN       LST        FOR        AG

Team:                    Leyton Orient

League  :               46           25           18           3             84           38

Other      :                 7             1             1           5               5           11

Career   :               74           41           24           9             133         65

Edited by kernunos

10 hours ago, Ethan_X_02 said:

I understand completely with what u say however, just to clarify, by quitting do u mean me resigning as I am not resigning i'm just letting me contract run out? I'm not quite sure how manager's reputation translates to getting a better job so if I will probably take on your advice. 

Getting a better job doesn't relate simply to either manager or club reputation. I think often I don't get a job at one club, and then shortly afterwards get a job at a higher reputation club (in another country). Sometimes in GD, people complain that they didn't get a job because there were better candidates, and then the job is given to an AI manager with a much lower reputation than them.

I don't think there's much difference between resigning from a job and letting your contract run out. There might be. It just hasn't ever been obvious to me in the game.

@kernunos Congrats on your second promotion in a row. Are you planning to apply for other jobs now? I think that starting in a nation such as England and working your way up, provided you're good enough to get promoted every season as you and Ethan seem to be, is a good way to establish yourself in the challenge, but I must admit in FM16, once I'd guided Southend to the Premier League I found it hard to get offered a bigger job, and in the end wanted to stay with Southend anyway to win the league (but ran out of time, though possibly I'd still be trying).

wRK55N8.png      TqaWAfW.png

Season 6 – 2022 – Jeonnam (KOR) / Egypt

Season Review

I made the most of my transfer budget during the winter (pre-season) window to buy two top South Korean players, striker “Bruce” Lee Sang-Joon and fullback “Carl” Jung Sung-Geun, for a combined total of £5.6mn. It turned out that “Bruce” Lee Sang-Joon was the much more practically minded of the two, and he turned out a cracking signing, my best player throughout the season, and still only 21 years old. This was particularly useful because my Ghanaian star striker from last year was injured for more than half the season.

With the help of our new signings, we blasted past our opponents in the league, particularly in the second half of the season, winning it with 5 games to go and picking up 93 points in 38 games. The cup was a more tense affair, and our toughest game was the semi final away to Jeonbuk, who were our main rivals in the league. We dominated but needed a last-minute winner to secure a 2-1 win. We then thrashed Seoul 8-1 on aggregate in the final.

So here I am, a domestic double and my first trophies for this challenge :D

League Table | Cup

Player review

Top scorer: “Bruce” Lee-Sang Joon (ST), 25 goals and 9 assists in 23(3) apps

Top assists: Yeo Il-Keun (ST), 10 assists and 20 goals in 26(9) apps

Joint top assists with two others, but he scored a lot more goals.

Top avg. rating: Emmanuel Kwaku-Duah (AMC/ST): 7.84 from 20(3) apps, 17 goals and 7 assists

Played well once he stopped being injured

Manager progress

45% rep, Continental Pro license

International

Easily qualified for ACON 2023 with Egypt. Got a tough group draw with both Ivory Coast and Senegal, so I’ll have to come firing out of the blocks in this one.

What’s next

Try to win the Asian Champ League next year. Will have to get past the big-spending Chinese clubs, who have amazing foreign players but not much else, to do so. But Seoul won it 2 years ago so it should be doable. Will probably quit Egypt after the ACON regardless of the result.

Challenge XI

[ will fill this up as I go along ]

GK: Lee Ki-Ho (Jeonnam) home-grown and probably is the top keeper in the country

DR: Sergi Palencia (Sheff Utd)

DC: Adama Fofana (Jeonnam) rock solid at the back and still young

MC: Leonardo Capezzi (Sheff Utd)

MC: Josh Harrop (Sheff Utd)

ST: Thomas Trujillo (Sheff Utd)

ST: Greg Luer (Accrington)

ST: “Bruce” Lee-Sang Joon

Subs: Emmanuel Kwaku-Duah (AMC/ST)

Club Career:

Season     |   Team           |       Division      |   Position     |    Cups   |   Notes & Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   4/24         |   n/a     |   Took over in December (team in 20th), lost on penalties in playoff final
2017/18    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   1/24         |   n/a     |   Promotion; League 2 points record (104). Moved to Sheffield Utd at end of season
2018/19    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Championship (ENG) |   1/24         |   n/a     |   Promoted
2019/20    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Premiership (ENG   |   7/20         |   semi    | 
2021       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   5/12         |   n/a     |   Joined when 10th in the league, after a one-year job search
2022       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   1/12         |   won     |   Domestic double     

International career:

Season     |   Team           |  Tournament         |   Notes & Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19    |   Greece         |  Euro 2020 quals    |   Took over in Autumn
2019/20    |   Greece         |  Euro 2020          |   Quarter-finals; lost to France
2021       |   Egypt          |  WC 2022 quals      |   Qualified by beating Nigeria in final group game
2022       |   Egypt          |  WC 2022            |   Quarter finals; lost to Poland on penalties

Challenge Progress:

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues: KOR (Jeonnam)
 1/10 domestic cups: KOR (Jeonnam)

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

Edited by dkouv

Pug's Season Update 2019-20

tH0FgkS.png

The Board Give Me A Healthy Transfer Budget So I Set About Building My Squad. Surprise Signing By My DOF. So Onto The Season And It Was A 3 Horse Race Between

Myself / Bayern And Dortmund. Then After 3 Quarters Of The Season Dortmund Lost A Bit Of Ground. The Last 4 Games I Was Still In With A Chance, But A Few Injuries

To A Few Key Players Let Bayern Pull Away. Also Dortmund Came Back And Piped Me To 2nd On Goal Difference.Final Table.

Results 1      Results 2         Top Goal Scorer   Player Of The Season

The Europa League Apart From 1 Loss And 2 Draws Was Win.Europa Results.

In The DFB-Pokal  We Made In To The Finals With 2 Excellent Results Along The Way To Win.Cup Results. I Also Made It Into The English Hall Of Fame.

Season Review

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys
2018/19    Gladbach
2019/20    Gladbach                           Won                                      Won DFB And Euro League
2020/21    Gladbach

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation   Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                 World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                          Won
  Challenge Progress

Club

1/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea)
2/10  Top Domestic Cups (S/Korea-Germany)
1/5   Continentals Cups (Ulsan)
1/1   Club World Cup (Ulsan)

International

1/5   Continental Tournaments (Nigeria)
0/2   World Tournaments

On A International Front Got A Job With USA After Trying For 8 Jobs.

Edited by pug 407

Hello guys.

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Dan. I have been playing FM/CM since back in the heady days of CM2 when bringing on Chris Sutton as a super sub for England was an inspired decision. I set this forum account up having found the challenge on the forums. It struck a chord with me as being a journeyman is how I play FM and this is my first FM since 14 as that was doing me just nicely until I decided to upgrade this year.

So where to begin. Following the rules of the challenge I get away with starting as a 19 year old as my birthday is in August and I have started with no badges and Sunday league experience as is required.

I have done a lot of reading through the thread and the idea of waiting for a job was something I intended to do but firing up the game for the 1st time I find Cardiff Met Uni managerless. They strike me straight away as they are an amateur club. This struck me as the perfect place to start to get some much needed experience before aproaching any professional outfits. What I have in my mind is that I will do well with Cardiff Met Uni, move on in Wales to bigger and better things before moving on to another country but we shall see how that pans out I guess as I get rolling.

Started the game with the home nations only loaded so leagues from 5 countries to go at and will add and remove leagues as and when required probably keeping in the bigger leagues once added and likely not removing England ever.

First crack at the table thing below too so will see how well that pans out when I post this, hopefully that goes ok. Heres to getting the challenge boxed off in the 3 years or so before I bother picking up another new installment of FM.

Club Career
			             ----------------
Season		Team			Country		Position		Notes and Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016		Cardiff Met Uni		Wales
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

International Career
			              -------------------------
Season		Country		Tournament		Notes

Challenge Progress
--------------------------
Club
0/10 Top Domestic Leagues
0/10 Top Domestic Cups
0/5 Continental Cups
0/1 Club Word Cup

International
0/5 Continental Tournaments
0/2 World Tournaments

4 hours ago, stoke1863365 said:

Hello guys.

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Dan. I have been playing FM/CM since back in the heady days of CM2 when bringing on Chris Sutton as a super sub for England was an inspired decision. I set this forum account up having found the challenge on the forums. It struck a chord with me as being a journeyman is how I play FM and this is my first FM since 14 as that was doing me just nicely until I decided to upgrade this year.

So where to begin. Following the rules of the challenge I get away with starting as a 19 year old as my birthday is in August and I have started with no badges and Sunday league experience as is required.

I have done a lot of reading through the thread and the idea of waiting for a job was something I intended to do but firing up the game for the 1st time I find Cardiff Met Uni managerless. They strike me straight away as they are an amateur club. This struck me as the perfect place to start to get some much needed experience before aproaching any professional outfits. What I have in my mind is that I will do well with Cardiff Met Uni, move on in Wales to bigger and better things before moving on to another country but we shall see how that pans out I guess as I get rolling.

Started the game with the home nations only loaded so leagues from 5 countries to go at and will add and remove leagues as and when required probably keeping in the bigger leagues once added and likely not removing England ever.

First crack at the table thing below too so will see how well that pans out when I post this, hopefully that goes ok. Heres to getting the challenge boxed off in the 3 years or so before I bother picking up another new installment of FM.

Club Career
			             ----------------
Season		Team			Country		Position		Notes and Achievements
2016		Cardiff Met Uni		Wales

International Career
			              -------------------------
Season		Country		Tournament		Notes

Challenge Progress
--------------------------
Club
0/10 Top Domestic Leagues
0/10 Top Domestic Cups
0/5 Continental Cups
0/1 Club Word Cup

International
0/5 Continental Tournaments
0/2 World Tournaments

Good luck dude. If you can sign Jason Oswell from Newtown, it'll go a long way towards climbing the table. The TNS manager tends to step down after a few seasons and realistically they are the only team that'll win the Welsh League without heavy investment 

Vikeologist's 2027/28 Orlando Pirates and South Africa Report

th?&id=OIP.Me2d631720a882aa6b8b944855d1c2d6cH0&w=300&h=168&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0th?&id=OIP.M4676d4b7e1f9abd22eac7a2748f43a29H0&w=299&h=227&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

This was always going to be a fairly non-eventful season. The priorities were a) don’t get knocked out of the Champions League and make it to the group stage, and b) preferably retain the league, but at the very least ensure we finish in the top 2 so we qualify for the next Champions League.

The league proved difficult. With less than 10 games to go, 4 teams had more than 2 points a game. Our main rivals as always were SuperSport who beat us in the Confederation Cup Final and Knockout Cup semi-final. At the midway point I bought their best player.

In the end SuperSport and ourselves pulled away, and once we were assured of a top 2 finish I relaxed. We won the league in the end, but SuperSport kept it extremely close. We won by 8 points, with both SuperSport and ourselves getting the same number of points as last season, but we didn’t mathematically win the league until SuperSport’s penultimate match.

Hopefully I won’t have needed the top 2 finish anyway, and can wrap up the Champions League next season. In this, our first foray, we made it safely to the group stages, beating last year’s losing finalists (TP Mazembe) in the 2nd round. I was very pleased to see that SuperSport were knocked out at that stage by Al-Ahly. Even though the teams from other nations should be a challenge in theory, I think SuperSport were our main threats.

I’m adding another league in the (northern hemisphere) summer, because hopefully my time at Orlando Pirates is coming to an end. I’m wary of over-confidence, but we have faced 2 of the strongest teams from last year (TP Mazembe and Al-Ahly) and absolutely destroyed them, along with anybody else foolish enough to stand in our way. It would take 2 fluke results at this stage to deny us. Tunis, the reigning champions are in the other group, but their results are pretty mediocre. If there is a threat, I don’t know who they are.

Top Goalscorer – Thando Bartlett 44.

Probably not even our best striker. Our two other main strikers score more often, but didn’t score as many total goals because of rotation.

Best Average Rating – Jethrun Moon 7.93

Jethrun is our backup right winger who has been on loan (from SuperSport) for the last 2 seasons, and is about to join us permanently. He has played a lot of games. I do a lot of rotation, especially in cup games. I have a large squad, and keeping them all happy is an ongoing struggle.

Man of Match – 3 players – 7  

Most Valuable Player – Philip Adesina  The first choice right winger. 7.69 average, 25 assists, 7 MoM. His coach report says that he’s laid back, can’t tackle and oozes calmness. He only scored 6 goals. (my now sadly past-it legendary striker Ngubane scored 5 in his only 204 (Champion League) minutes), but Adesina is pretty good at what he does. He’s like a little Nigerian late-career Chris Waddle, if that’s a fair comparison. Not that any of you kids will remember Waddle.

Of course, even should I win the Champions League I won’t be leaving South Africa entirely, as I am also the national team manager. As mentioned in a previous post, I confidently expected to pick up the CHAN with my squad of more than 50% Pirates. 8 of the optimal starting XI were my players. Unfortunately we lost in the semi-final, and my players came back from the tournament / summer break, jaded. If I’m still in charge of both teams in 2 years, I’ll probably pick players from other teams and give my guys a rest. This borders on cheating, but I can assure you that if I was a real world manager, I’d be just as mercenary. Still, it would be kind of cheating, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Qualifying for next year’s African Nations is proving to be a tense affair. We are in the same group as Ivory Coast. We drew our first match and have soundly beaten the other two teams in our group. Unfortunately the net result was that their goal difference is 1 better than ours, so we will have to beat them in the final group match to be sure of qualification. There is one slot for a second place team, and I think if we draw we will be the best second place team out of the 13 groups, but I’m not sure. Being drawn against Ivory Coast (in the World Cup qualifying as well) was profoundly unfair.

Domestic
Season	Team					Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
2016	FC Lahti				10th		Just 9 points from the 10 matches remaining after I took over
2017	FC Lahti				3rd		Qualified for Europe
2018	FC Lahti				1st		First domestic title
2019	FC Lahti				1st		The double. First domestic cup
2020	Jeonbuk					1st
2021	Jeonbuk					2nd		Knocked out of CL in semis
2022	Jeonbuk					1st		League / FA Cup / Champions League Triple. CWC 3rd place
2023	Minnesota Utd				14th
2024	Minnesota Utd				7th		Lost on penalties in Western Conference Semifinal
2025/6	Orlando Pirates				3rd		Knockout Cup Winners, failed to qualify for Champions League
2026/7	Orlando Pirates				1st		League, Super 8, Knockout Cup, Nedbank Cup. Won everything basically.
2027/8	Orlando Pirates				1st		League, Super8, Nedbank Cup. Confederation Cup losing finalists.

International
Year	Team					Achievements	
2019-21	Nigeria					None
2021-23	DR Congo				2022 World Cup - R2, 2023 African Cup Losing Finalists
2023-25	Chile					None
2026-27	South Korea				Asian Cup winners
2027 - 	South Africa				Haven't played in (or qualified for) a major tournament yet

Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues 		(Finland, South Korea, South Africa)
 3/10 domestic cups 			(Finland, South Korea, South Africa)
 1/5 club continental championships 	(Asia)

International
 1/5 continental tournaments 		(Asia)
 0/2 world tournaments 

Hi, there, challengers! Some of you may remember me from FM 16 where I won 17 titles and earned myself a place on the leaderboard, but eventually quit out of boredom and exhaustion. :lol:

This was literally the most fun and the most frustrating challenge at the same time I've ever tried on any FM.

Some of the major pitfalls for me were:

a) domestic cups. When you're dominating the league so easily and yet the AI flukes wins against you in the cup year after year, you want to pull your hair out. You're playing the entire season in all those competitions, but only really caring about that one, the least significant, competition. And then you fail and have to do it all over again.

b) international management. To be honest, I think this part of the game is rather poorly implemented in the game and neglected by SI. There are myriad of problems here which are out of your hands, one of the biggest being the player fitness issue which has been present in the game for years now. It's totally unrealistic the way it's done. If you've ever played in a major international competition, you'll know what I'm talking about. Couple that problem with the fact major competitions are usually held every four years, you've got yourself another nice portion of frustration.

I wish good luck to everyone participating this year. Maybe, and that's a big maybe, I'll join you again, but for now I'm enjoying your updates. Keep it up!

TqaWAfW.png

Egypt 2023 ACON report

To say the least, I wasn’t filled with confidence going into the tournament. Our best right-back and midfielder got injured just before the start, and we lost both our warm-up friendlies against Colombia, and – oh god! – Jamaica. First up was a rather tricky group consisting of us, Ivory Coast, Senegal and Burkina Faso.

Group stage

Spoiler

Egypt 4 – 0 Ivory Coast. Goals: A. Tawfik, A. Ramzy, Hassan, Salah

Ok, this team really has a habit of producing the unexpected. Turns out they were just teasing me in the friendlies. We started off with two screamers from my center mids, and rounded off the win with two counter attacks once Ivory Coast started to push men forward. We dominated the game but still, there were far too many long shots for my liking – hope this improves as the tactic becomes more fluid.

Burkina Faso 2 – 6 Egypt. Goals: Warda, Gamal(4), Samir

I decided that if I’m going to go far in the tournament, I need to rest some players and put out a full second string. Burkina Faso went ahead and dominated for the first 20 minutes or so, but then we hit back with some brilliant finishing and astute tactical tweaks, romping to victory in the end. I normally consider myself a bit rubbish in tactics in FM, so now I’m not sure whether I should persevere with my tweaked tactic for the next game, or revert to the old trusted version that succeeded with Jeonnam, but misfired in friendlies and at the beginning of both group games…

Senegal 2 – 4 Egypt. Goals: Gamal(2), Said, Sobhi

The Egyptian goalfest continued. We needed a point to qualify and win the group so I started off cautiously, but went 2-0 down within the first 11 minutes. That quickly became 2-1, and I reverted back to my usual attacking tactic, which made for an exciting game. We soon went 3-2 up and wasted a couple of chances before wrapping it up with the 4th goal in the 85th minute.

Quarter final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Egypt 6 – 1 Nigeria. Goals: Gamal(3), Salah, Morsy(2)

A convincing win, with my striker Amr Gamal the star of the show. His stats aren’t that great but he’s really come into his own during this tournament. He’ll miss the semi final with a broken nose, however.

Semi final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Egypt 1 – 2 Ghana a.e.t. Goals: Elnery

We went ahead and felt in control until Ghana equalised in the 55th minute. I thought it was over when Ghana got a penalty at the end of normal time, but they missed it. Still, my reprieve was brief as Ghana went through courtesy to a 30-yard screamer from Alfred Duncan in extra time.

Third place playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Egypt 1 – 0 Cape Verde. Goals: Gamal
We weren’t at our swashbuckling best, but came through victorious nonetheless. Having Gamal fit for this game certainly helped.

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

After the tournament

Spoiler

Well, that was a good performance, but again, like the World Cup, so disappointing in the end. We were completely bossing games until our loss to Ghana, who undoubtedly have better players, but still… Ironically, Ivory Coast ended up winning the whole thing, so the 4-0 loss to us didn’t hurt them that much. Maybe I should’ve applied for that Ivory Coast job in the summer :p 

I tried applying for the vacant Ecuador and Chile jobs ahead of the 2023 Copa America, but it must be that bug where you don't hear from the jobs and teams don't hire a manager, resurfacing in a smaller version again.

Edited by dkouv

@dkouv Regarding teams not appointing managers, have you tried what I mentioned in the bug thread you started?

I'm assuming you've added some kind of name fix file, because this is what has been suggested caused the problem.

If so, remove  'City, Club and Stadium Names.lnc', from the directories that you've added it. See if that helps.

@shirajzl I certainly know where you're coming from. When I completed the challenge there was a very low point where had I lost a certain game I would have given up. It was a penalty shoot out in the Gold Cup where my Mexico were playing Jamaica. See, I still remember it. I'm still upset about it. I wonder if I have a legal case against SI for post-traumatic stress. Is there something in their terms and conditions that says you can't blame them for this?

@stoke1863365 Welcome to the challenge. I didn't even know there was a Cardiff Met Uni team in the top division. Are they favoured for relegation? Sounds like a bit of a challenge, no pun intended. Good luck.

@pug 407 Hard luck on the second place finish. be interesting to see how you get on in the CL.

@Danny_H22 Cheers for that mate. I am just a few days before the window closes and it is one area of the side that needs improvement. Not conceding many but not scoring either with a 0-0 and 1-1 draw in first 2 competitive games. Whilst on the topic of signing player, do you or anyone else know what the crack is with the transfer window and afterwards for an amateur club? I have made singing's but obviously players are not under contract as such so are also free to leave which I have seen. Does this then mean I am free to add players as and when I wish so in effect I have no transfer window currently?

@vikeologist Yeah strikes me as a tough place to start but quite enjoying the fully amateur aspect actually. No wage bill to worry about and what have you. They only came up last year so first year back in the prem. I am the rank outsider at 350/1 to win the league however 2 league games in and 2 draws where I was priced 13/2 and 7/2 to win the games feels like a decent enough start although would have preferred all 3 points in one.

@vikeologist Yes, thanks for the tip - tried it last night actually, and it seems to have worked. Applied for Colombia, Argentina and Uruguay after the Copa and was promptly rejected :p The Chile and Ecuador jobs are still unfilled and I can't apply for them; I think I might add and retire a manager for each of these teams so that they can hire someone in the future (I don't really intend to apply for these again anytime soon), otherwise I think they might stay managerless until the end of the challenge (the end not necessarilly meaning completing it! :)  ). Guessing that should be ok within the rules of the challenge, as it's just trying to fix a bug.

@stoke1863365 welcome to the challenge, looks like you're really taking "starting at the bottom" to a new level!

@shirajzl I am already starting to get that feeling about the cups; especially internationally where you have to wait a few years for the next try, but also having that weird season in South Korea where I only care about the champ. league fixtures...

Vikeologist's 2028/29 Orlando Pirates and South Africa Report

th?&id=OIP.Me2d631720a882aa6b8b944855d1c2d6cH0&w=300&h=168&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0th?&id=OIP.M4676d4b7e1f9abd22eac7a2748f43a29H0&w=299&h=227&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

In my last end of season report, I predicted that winning the champions league was going to be easy. I think the word would have been ‘formality’.

It did not turn out like that. At the end of season switchover we had played 2 group matches, and won easily. Unfortunately the third side in our group, ES Sahel, were much more formidable, and we recorded only 1 point from our 2 group games against them.

This meant that we had to play last year’s champions, Tunis, in the semi-final, and they also were hard to handle. In a close first tie at our gaff, they were awarded a penalty and potential away goal near the end of the match. Their guy missed it. I don’t mean it was saved. He managed to miss the goal. We then attacked and nabbed the winning goal, and won the second leg quite comfortably.

I went into the final (unsurprisingly against Sahel) with a lot of trepidation; especially as our top 3 central midfielders were all suspended. This meant that with only 1 proper CM left we had to change formation. Then that one proper CM managed to get himself sent off meaning that we had to put a geriatric central midfielder in his place, though to be fair he has been training as a midfielder for a season or two. We managed to go ahead with less than 10 minutes to go, but Sahel got an equaliser from a set piece.

In the second leg, Sahel scored and we just couldn’t break them down. In desperation I adopted a 3-4-3 formation and our sub striker Gcaba scored a lovely lob over the keeper from a counter attack in the final minute. In extra time we scored  a second in the 115th minute, held on in what you might call a 5-5-0-0-0 formation and were champions.

This has taken three and a half seasons. It was always going to take at least two and a half. I know there’d have been another chance next year, but I am so relieved to get this trophy.

I didn’t ever plan to move on immediately. There was the World Club Championship, and then in the new year the African Cup. Mind you, the domestic season was a huge anti-climax after the Champions League, so I did keep a close eye on the job vacancies. I decided not to apply for a couple of German vacancies; Hamburg and Wolfsburg.

In the Club World Cup we had a 2-0 lead against Mexico’s Pachuca, but unsurprisingly they came back and we ended up losing 4-3. We did secure 5th place though with a 10-1 win over Auckland.

So on to international matters, there’s an equally stressful tale to tell.

As also mentioned in my last report, we were in a tough group with Ivory Coast, and coming into the final match we were level on points but Ivory Coast had thrashed the other 2 team in our group by one goal more than us. With only 1 team going through automatically, we needed a win. We only managed a draw. Only 1 second place team (out of about 12 groups) automatically qualifies for the finals, and we finished second in that table as well. Luckily Nigeria the reigning champs, won their group, meaning that we also scraped in.

So here's my African Cup Report

Usually one goes into a major tournament not knowing how good the team really is. Thanks to challenging qualifying groups for this African Cup and World Cup though, I have a pretty good idea. South Africa are on a par with most of the other teams in the tournament. If I were to predict how we’ll get on, I’d go for 3 draws. We’re the 10th ranked team in Africa, but I reckon just about any of the 16 teams could win it, although the favourites have to be reigning champs Nigeria, who unfortunately are in our group. It’s our first match, so that should be illuminating.

I have 6 of my Orlando Pirates in the squad. Not the 6 best members of my squad probably, but the ones that fill in the gaps in the national pool.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Vs Nigeria 2-1. A nice victory to start things off; made even nicer by the fact that Nigeria are one of my old teams in this version of the challenge. I didn’t realise that until the game pointed it out, because honestly I’ve managed so many African nations in my Ultimate Challenges so many times that I’ve lost track. Still this loss means that if things don’t work out with South Africa, I might get the chance to manage Nigeria again after the tournament.

Vs Ghana 0-0 Not a very exciting match.

Vs Guinea-Bissau 3-0. Nice and comfortable. The only bad news was that Nigeria won their last 2 matches and are still in the competition.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Vs Egypt 1-2 aet. My first loss as South Africa manager, but given that most matches we’ve played have been very close, and luck was always likely to turn on us at some point.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

3rd Place Playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

After The Tournament

Spoiler

I thought that I might have done well enough to keep my job, but I was sacked, so I think it’s probably time to move on from Orlando Pirates as well. It was tempting to stay on for the rest of the season to try for the threepeat, but we’re less than half way through the regular season, and I’d probably have to wade through a lot of cup matches that I don’t really care about.

Also it might help me get an international job, but actually, of the African posts to become vacant after the cup, the only side on track to qualify for the World Cup is Nigeria. It doesn’t look as though they’re going to offer me the job though, so I may have to take the next best one which might be Morocco. Ivory Coast and Senegal probably won’t qualify for the world cup, which would result in my getting sacked. Can’t say I’m that keen on any of the jobs apart from Nigeria. Since I’m not feeling it, I think I will take a break from international football.

Domestic
Season	Team					Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
2016	FC Lahti				10th		Just 9 points from the 10 matches remaining after I took over
2017	FC Lahti				3rd		Qualified for Europe
2018	FC Lahti				1st		First domestic title
2019	FC Lahti				1st		The double. First domestic cup
2020	Jeonbuk					1st
2021	Jeonbuk					2nd		Knocked out of CL in semis
2022	Jeonbuk					1st		League / FA Cup / Champions League Triple. CWC 3rd place
2023	Minnesota Utd				14th
2024	Minnesota Utd				7th		Lost on penalties in Western Conference Semifinal
2025/6	Orlando Pirates				3rd		Knockout Cup Winners, failed to qualify for Champions League
2026/7	Orlando Pirates				1st		League, Super 8, Knockout Cup, Nedbank Cup. Won everything basically.
2027/8	Orlando Pirates				1st		League, Super8, Nedbank Cup. Confederation Cup losing finalists.
2028/9	Orlando Pirates				n/a		African Champions League. Left mid-season with the team on track for the threepeat.

International
Year	Team					Achievements	
2019-21	Nigeria					None
2021-23	DR Congo				2022 World Cup - R2, 2023 African Cup Losing Finalists
2023-25	Chile					None
2026-27	South Korea				Asian Cup winners
2027-29	South Africa				Lost in African Cup Q/F

Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues 		(Finland, South Korea, South Africa)
 3/10 domestic cups 			(Finland, South Korea, South Africa)
 1/5 club continental championships 	(Asia)

International
 2/5 continental tournaments 		(Asia, Africa)
 0/2 world tournaments 

So a mid season update. Didn't think I would get this far this quickly to be honest as I like to take my time with FM but league is relatively short and got knocked out of one of the cup competitions at the 1st hurdle so not had too many games to contend with.

So here I sit rock bottom of the league, not exactly adrift given that a win would lift me to 8th given the tightness of the league down at this end, in comparison to TNS who are yet to drop a point, perfect from 12.

The major issue is going to be the goal difference for us though. When we get beat we get stuffed losing 4 or 5 nil whereas the couple of wins we have picked up have been courtesy of an odd goal leaving us on a GD of -16. Losing the striker we signed for 6 weeks didn't really help with this so seeing his return may hopefully turn the tide a little.

I was going to include some pictures of the league and fixtures so you could see our god awful form but struggling to get a grab of the game as anything I try print screens the desktop behind the game on my laptop so I shall work on that for future updates.

I was warned by your good selves this would be tough and how right you were, right now avoiding relegation will be a huge achievement where as I was secretly hoping for mid table obscurity inside if I didn't tell the chairman as much. Onward and upwards (as we cant get any lower)

2 hours ago, stoke1863365 said:

So a mid season update. Didn't think I would get this far this quickly to be honest as I like to take my time with FM but league is relatively short and got knocked out of one of the cup competitions at the 1st hurdle so not had too many games to contend with.

So here I sit rock bottom of the league, not exactly adrift given that a win would lift me to 8th given the tightness of the league down at this end, in comparison to TNS who are yet to drop a point, perfect from 12.

The major issue is going to be the goal difference for us though. When we get beat we get stuffed losing 4 or 5 nil whereas the couple of wins we have picked up have been courtesy of an odd goal leaving us on a GD of -16. Losing the striker we signed for 6 weeks didn't really help with this so seeing his return may hopefully turn the tide a little.

I was going to include some pictures of the league and fixtures so you could see our god awful form but struggling to get a grab of the game as anything I try print screens the desktop behind the game on my laptop so I shall work on that for future updates.

I was warned by your good selves this would be tough and how right you were, right now avoiding relegation will be a huge achievement where as I was secretly hoping for mid table obscurity inside if I didn't tell the chairman as much. Onward and upwards (as we cant get any lower)

Personally I think your best bet is to finis the season and move on to the next available job in Wales. Put on a good showing with them and when the TNS job becomes available, cross your fingers that you get it. The league and cups become a walk in the park at that stage. 

Edited by Danny_H22

wRK55N8.png

Season 7 – 2023 – Jeonnam (KOR)

Season Review

Having won the domestic double last season, this time around my sole focus was on the Asian Champions League. Just a couple of winter signings, to beef up the attack and defensive mid options, and off we went, trying to conquer Asia.

Things started off well in the group stage, as I finished with a 100% record, getting past one of those pesky big-spending Chinese clubs Huaxia Xingfu. I was hoping for an easy draw in the knockout stages but that wasn’t to be, as we got our main rivals Jeonbuk. It was a tough game, with my main center back Fofana out injured. We went down 1-0 in a tight away leg, went ahead at home but then a moment of madness saw our leftback dismissed for a two-footed lunge. I was about to storm off the pitch in disgust, but a few defensive tweaks saw us hold on to the lead and even nick another goal, going through 2-1 on aggregate.

The rest of the Asian CL was really weird: getting past two Japanese clubs full of grey players in the quarters and semis – thankfully they somehow knocked out the Chinese big-spenders – and on to Al-Ahly (KSA) [note: I checked, there are actually 7 clubs named Al-Ahly, so the KSA bit turns out to be important :p] This was when I learned about the foreigner registration bug in the ACL, which basically allowed Al-Ahly to fill their squad with quality foreign players, so I wasn’t expecting an easy tie. Cue the delight when we went through 7-1 on aggregate, getting the long-awaited trophy and completing my Asian stint of the challenge.

Only it wasn’t quite complete yet, the Club World Cup was still to come. I actually applied for a couple of jobs in Mexico after the ACL but was rejected, and went onwards to the CWC – a tournament I always thought was a bit pointless but now it seemed ever-so-meaningful all of a sudden. Crunchtime came during the semis where we faced Real Madrid, led by 38-year old Ronaldo and Sergio’s nephew Jose Ramos (the regen leftback). We actually played really well but our finishing was so-so, and it was 0-0 at half time. Then came the customary moment-of-madness from the full-back, so extra time was going to be played with 10 men. But in a turn of fortune, Alvaro Morata got injured, evening out the numbers. And in a moment I won’t forget for a while, my newly signed striker “Birdman” Kwak Hee-Seong burst the net on 100 minutes, and we held on for a memorable win. This was followed by a more routine 3-0 rout of Gremio in the final, and here we were, all of a sudden champions of the world… or club world… cup…

Domestically we won both league and cup, completing the quadruple.

League | Asian CLClub World Cup

Player review

I’m tempted to do a roll of honour for the lads, with the most memorable names from my time in Jeonbuk below:

ST, top scorer: “Bruce” Lee-Sang Joon, 54 goals and 10 assists in 44(8) apps

An absolute beast of a season from my main man. Scored a brace in both legs of the ACL final and the CWC final to top it off. Challenge-11 place cemented for him, I should think.

ST: “Birdman” Kwak Hee-Seong, just for scoring that goal against Real Madrid

DR: Kim Jong-Hyun, for topping the assists charts with 17 in 28(9) apps

DC: Adama Fofana, for getting MOM against Madrid and generally being a rock. He has, however, been suffering from the lack of quality hairdressers in Gwangyang.

Manager progress

50% rep, Continental Pro license

Entered English hall of fame in the spot just below Roy Hodgson, apparently reserved for international journeymen.

International

Quit Egypt after ACON and no international jobs so far.

What’s next

Loved the ACL and CWC journey; felt a bit sentimental so tried to set Jeonnam up for long-term success by extending people’s contracts and buying a couple of reinforcements in the transfer window. But guess I’ll be off as soon as something decent comes up and takes me. South Africa would be a natural next step, but they only had a good job come up once during the last 5 seasons (Orlando Pirates), so I’ll cast my net broadly.

Challenge XI

[ will fill this up as I go along ]

GK: Lee Ki-Ho (Jeonnam)

DR: Sergi Palencia (Sheff Utd)

DC: Adama Fofana (Jeonnam)

MC: Leonardo Capezzi (Sheff Utd)

MC: Josh Harrop (Sheff Utd)

ST: Thomas Trujillo (Sheff Utd)

ST: “Birdman” Kwak Hee-Seong (Jeonnam)

ST: “Bruce” Lee-Sang Joon (Jeonnam)

Subs: Emmanuel Kwaku-Duah (AMC/ST, Jeonnam), Kim Jong-Hyun (DR, Jeonnam)

Club Career:

Season     |   Team           |       Division      |   Position   |     Cups       |   Notes & Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   4/24       |     n/a        |   Took over in December (team in 20th), lost on penalties in playoff final
2017/18    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   1/24       |     n/a        |   Promotion; League 2 points record (104). Moved to Sheffield Utd at end of season
2018/19    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Championship (ENG) |   1/24       |     n/a        |   Promoted
2019/20    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Premiership (ENG)  |   7/20       |     semi       | 
2021       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   5/12       |     n/a        |   Joined when 10th in the league, after a one-year job search
2022       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   1/12       |     won        |   Domestic double   
2023       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   1/12       | won ACL + cup  |   A historic quadruple

International career:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019/20    |   Greece         |  Euro 2020          |   Quarter-finals; lost to France
2021       |   Egypt          |  WC 2022 quals      |   Qualified by beating Nigeria in final group game
2022       |   Egypt          |  WC 2022            |   Quarter finals; lost to Poland on penalties
2023       |   Egypt          |  ACON 2023          |   Lost in semis (Ghana, extra time)

Challenge Progress:

Club
 1/5 club continental championships: Asian CL (Jeonnam)
 1/1 club world championship: Jeonnam 2023

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

Edited by dkouv

Danny_H22 2020/2021 Season Report

TNS.jpg

So another season over and more silverware for my trophy cabinet. Sadly none of the trophies are new trophies and thus doesn’t put me any closer to advancing in the challenge. It was nice to have another successful season whilst I wait for my next job to come around.

On a personal level I haven’t achieved any more of my badges due to our finances.  My reputation has improved and is currently sat at 35%.

Welsh Premier League- Unbeaten run in our first 18 games (17 wins and one draw) pretty much sealed the title for us, barring any major slip ups. We proceeded to drop points in several of our following games before securing the title with 6 games remaining. Despite winning the title earlier than last season, we did so with fewer points and more games in which we dropped points. All in all I was a little disappointed with our league performance as I had set my sights on an unbeaten season.

JD FAW Welsh Cup- What can I say? What should have been an easy defence of the cup was cut short when Bala beat us 2-1 in the semi-final. If I’m being honest, both myself and the squad seemed to have lost all desire by this point in the season after sealing the league. I am disappointed as it was my final opportunity to win a trophy this season.

theWord Cup- A decisive 3-0 victory over Airbus UK saw us retain the cup and me win it for the third year in a row.

UEFA Champions League-   Once again we didn’t really do much of note, nor were we expected to. We easily despatched of FC Santa Coloma 6-1 over two legs before losing 2-1 to FC Steaua on aggregate. Not a terrible showing against a better team.

Top Goalscorer- Gozie Ugwu  was as my top scored once again, notching up 38 goals in 41 games. He fell short of the 50 mark that he set last season, but he did have a little injury half way through the season that ruined his form slightly. He ended the season with the League Top Goalscorer award for the third year in a row. His closest competitor in the squad was Brandon Griffiths with 19 in 36.

Most Assists- As well as scoring 19 goals, Brandon Griffiths chipped in with a record breaking 23 assists. A truly fantastic performance from the winger who also won League Player of the Year.

Highest Avg rating- Unsurprisingly it was Ugwu with a 7.71 over 41 games. Not as good as last season, but still impressive.

Most POM- Ugwa fell one short of last years total with 12.

International- I grew bored of managing in Togo, who I only ever saw as a stepping stone, and decided to take the leap to 55th ranked Qatar. It proved worthwhile as I picked up my first international trophy, winning the WAFF Championship on penalties. Whilst this doesn’t count towards my challenge goals, it is always nice to win a trophy. Especially with a team like Qatar.

We are also sat 2nd in our group for the World Cup qualifiers so fingers crossed I can take them to the big stage.

Goals for Next Season- There isn’t really much point in sticking around at TNS anymore. I have won and retained everything and I am not likely to get the opportunity to progress further in my pursuit of coaching badges due to our finances. My contract expires on the 30th of June and I think I will just walk away and look for a new challenge. I have grown attached to TNS and I’ve made sure to sign all the best players to new contracts before I go.

Season       Team             Position         Continental       Notes and Achievements     
2016/17      Newtown          8th                  -              Took over in November
2017/18      Newtown          3rd                  -             
2018/19      Newtown          3rd       First Qualifying Round    Won theWord Cup and Manager of the Year
2019/20      TNS              1st       Second Qualifying Round   Won theWord Cup and JD FAW Welsh Cup. Retained the Manager of the Year
2020/21      TNS              1st       Second Qualifying Round   Won theWord Cup

Challenge Progress

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues (TNS- Welsh Premier League 2020, 2021)
 1/10 domestic cups (Newtown-theWord Cup 2019, TNS- theWord Cup 2020, 2021, JD FAW Welsh Cup 2020)

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2018/19      Togo             Appointed manager of Togo
2019/20      Togo             Knocked out of World Cup Qualifiers in second round
2020/21      Qatar            Won WAFF Championship

EDIT- I remained unemployed for roughly 2 weeks...

Edited by Danny_H22

Season 3 :      2018/19           Goodbye Leyton and Welcome Dundalk

While I was working on strengthening my squad for the Sky Bet Championship, the World Cup was held in Russia. I started thinking about taking a second managing job and become the manager of a National team. I expected that after the World Cup several teams would be looking for a new manager. It was France becoming the new Worl Champions after beating Holland in the finals. It was the second time for France winning this title while Holland now lost the finals for the 4th time. I did apply for several jobs (England, Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Switzerland) but they all did reject my application. So becoming a manager of a national team was not in the cards right now and so I focused again on Leyton Orient.

Before the start of the season I was able to sign 14 new players (13 free transfer). Also I was able to hire 2 players. I believed the team was strong enough to survive the Championship. But I could never expected the outcome of the start of the season. Though it was expected that Leyton Orient would fight against relegation and at the end lose this battle, we were found at one of the top posistions of the table. The first 7 matches ended in 4 victories, 2 draws and only 1 defeat. We were surprising everyone with this results. And it did look like this season again could be a success.

Though the Board were very happy with the results and wanted to keep me at Brisbane Road for a longer period, I started looking for a new job. The reason was that every time I asked the Board for a new coaching Course, they rejected it. Financial there was no problem for it but every time I asked, they told me that I was needed on the training field.

And so it happened that I left Leyton Orient in the middle of the season. At that moment Leyton Orient was at 10th spot in the Sky Bet Championship and had every chance to stay away from a relegation spot. With already 39 points won this season, they only needed 4 more wins and then they would be at that magical 50 points, which is believed to be needed to stay clear of relegation. Also Leyton Orient was still playing in the FA Cup. In the EFL Cup they had to face Liverpool. This match ended in a defeat as was to be expected.

Season 2018/19                                                 PLD        WIN        DRN       LST        FOR        AG

Team:                    Leyton Orient

League  :               27           11             6           10           35           31

Other      :                 4             2             1             1             4             5

Career   :               105         54           31           20           172         101

I am giving a chance to become manager of Dundalk F.C. and though they are not as rich as Leyton Orient, I believe this is a good opportunity for me. Dundalk F.C. is playing in the Irish Premier Division and they won the title 5 times in a row now. And everyone expected them to win the title again next season.

TSG_zpsegq9iacg.png

Hoffenheim

Following my stint in Russia a spell of unemployment followed whilst waiting for a club with no top level honours to come available. Whilst Mainz would have been my choice within Germany it was Hoffenheim who offered a project at the right time and the Arrogant Andorran Bob Thuram accepted the challenge of toppling the dominant Bayern and Dortmund within the Bundesliga. The Project comes with stalwarts Oochs , Sule , Amiri and Gimber who have played their entire careers at the club now all past their sell by date and in need of replacement and a top youth system though with no much in between so a full revamp will be required . Unlike Krasnodar where Russian Roubles were available in abundance the clubs finances are not in great shape so I am expecting it will take several years to mount a serious challenge .

Internationally after spells at Honduras , Czech Republic and Croatia i have yet to experince any success

v3_zpskhy79mpz.png

Domestic
Season	Team				Position	Notes			Challenge Landmarks
16/17	Hapoel Ramat-Gan		5th
17/18	Hapoel Ramat-Gan		1st		Promotion		
18/19	Raith				7th			
19/20	Raith				7th
20/21	Raith				5th
21/22	Raith				1st					Premiership
22/23	Twente				14th		Joined March '23
23/24	Twente				1st					Eredivisie
24/25	Twente				2nd		CHL R1		        Super Cup, Dutch Cup
25/26	Corinthians			3rd					Brazilian Cup
26/27	Corinthians			1st					Série A, Copa Libertadores, Club World Cup (3-1 v Man City)
27/28	Sporting (POR)		        ?

International
Year		Team			Achievements	
2018-19		Jamaica			Gold Cup winner (Final: 3-0 vs. Costa Rica)
2020-23		Saudi-Arabia		WAFF Championship 2020, AFC Asian Cup 2023 (Final: 2-0 vs. Iran)
2023-25		Nigeria			ACON
25-?            N/A 

Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 Top domestic leagues 
 2/10 Domestic cups
 1/5 Club continental championships
 1/1 Club world championship

International
 3/5 Continental tournaments 		Gold Cup (Jamaica), AFC Asian Cup (Saudi-Arabia), ACON (Nigeria)
 0/2 World tournaments 

Total
 10/33

Haven't played much lately, but there has been some progression with this challenge. Lisbon should be a fine stepping stone into the finer leagues in Europe. 

Season 7.5 – 2024 – ?

A half-season update – you must be wondering why this is warranted. So read on and try not to skip towards the end…

After my triumphs with Jeonnam it was time to look for a new job. It turns out that FM has reached an uncomfortable degree of realism when emulating real-life job search, with all the hopes raised and dashed, harsh interviews and soulless rejections. A number of good jobs came up in Europe and Mexico but I kept being rejected – at Hamburg because I didn’t want to prioritise set pieces, at America (MEX) after a very aggressive investment bank style interview, and at Lens, even though I was odds-on favourite for the last one – presumably because I was not French. Then all of a sudden, a job at Wits in South Africa came up and I went for it. Was about to accept but a job at another SA club, Ajax Cape Town, appeared and I went all in to get it, rejecting the Wits offer. Reason being that Ajax CT seemed to have good finances, great facilities, and were still in the African Champions League, albeit hanging on by a thread after a 2-0 first leg defeat at Coton Sport in the knockout round (isn’t cotton spelled with two “t”s?)

I got the job and even better, before I joined Ajax CT managed to overturn the first-leg CL deficit to win 3-0 at home, and were through to the group stage. We were one of eight teams in two groups of four, with the top two in each group qualifying for the semi final. I had three games left in the domestic season in which I made sure we avoided relegation. The squad was a bit unbalanced with some great young players and some useless ageing men – a definite de-ja-vu from my Jeonnam start. So I tried to rebuild a bit but not sell too many players because – thanks to @vikeologist – I knew that I couldn’t register any new signings for the Champions League. In particular, in the last minute I cancelled the transfer of my romantically-named rightwinger Juanito Manuel to keep him on as a backup.

I managed to settle on a decent 4-5-1 tactic and we were pretty comfortable in the group stage, finishing first with 5 wins out of 6. After which I was reminded how thin my champions league squad was after the summer transfers. The semi against MC Alger was already a bit borderline, as I had to do without my only registered rightback, and dig out a few midfielders deep from the reserves. Still, we came through and got the welcome news that our league nemesis Kaiser Chiefs somehow lost to Al-Ahly (who I beat easily in the group) in the other semi, and I was getting hopeful. However, after unconfirmed rumours that the vengeful Kaiser Chiefs hired a witch doctor, more injuries struck. Our line-up for the final was pretty ridiculous, featuring a super-attacking left winger at left back, a reserve center back at right back, and the not-sold-in-the-summer romantic Juanito at left wing, plucked fresh out of reserves. Still, I told the lads about Djimi Traore winning the 2005 Champions League, and they put in a great shift as we won the first let 3-1. In the away leg, our defence was understandably atrocious, but good ol’ Juanito struck two worldies to limit our loss to 3-2 and give us the African Champions League at the first attempt!

So here I was, suddenly managing in Africa and suddenly with the coveted continental trophy in the bag. I wasn’t sure if a victory would be satisfying given that I didn’t qualify for the Champ. League myself, but given all the injury and registration crises, my god it was! I’ll stick around at Ajax CT for the next season and try to win a cup and maybe league, but we are some way behind Kaiser Chiefs at the moment so I’m not sure it’ll happen. And hope @Fadedaf and @vikeologist do not get too jealous at the speed of my African success :p

International

Got bored of the unemployment so went for the Jamaica job, aiming for the 2025 Gold Cup. Not very hopeful though, the squad’s full of ageing journeymen from the English league.

Club Career:

Season     |   Team           |       Division      |   Position   |     Cups       |   Notes & Achievements
2016/17    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   4/24       |     n/a        |   Took over in December (team in 20th), lost on penalties in playoff final
2017/18    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   1/24       |     n/a        |   Promotion; League 2 points record (104). Moved to Sheffield Utd at end of season
2018/19    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Championship (ENG) |   1/24       |     n/a        |   Promoted
2019/20    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Premiership (ENG)  |   7/20       |     semi       | 
2021       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   5/12       |     n/a        |   Joined when 10th in the league, after a one-year job search
2022       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   1/12       |     won        |   Domestic double   
2023       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   1/12       | won ACL + cup  |   A historic quadruple
2023/24    |   Ajax CT        |  South Afr Premier  |   9/16       | won AfCL       |    A champions league win with an super-thin squad (joined in CL group stage)

International career:

2022       |   Egypt          |  WC 2022            |   Quarter finals; lost to Poland on penalties
2023       |   Egypt          |  ACON 2023          |   Lost in semis (Ghana, extra time)
2023/24    |   Jamaica        |  WC 2026 quals      |

Challenge Progress:

Club
 2/5 club continental championships: Asian CL (Jeonnam), African CL (Ajax CT)
 1/1 club world championship: Jeonnam 2023

International
 0/2 world tournaments 
Edited by dkouv

@dkouv Not jealous of the speed of your success at all. Sometimes you'll see people use the phrase 'to do a vike' which is just this, to take over a club mid-season, or in my case once, the day of the second leg of the cup final, (which I lost). I think it's sensible to do that if and when the opportunity arises in the save. I haven't done it yet this save, because the opportunity hasn't arisen. The fact is that most jobs come up because the club is at the bottom of the table and has been eliminated form continental competition. I'm in for another long haul that will take a season or two at my new club, but I fobbed them off for a couple of weeks while I waited to see if I would get the job at Monterrey in Mexico who were in the end of season playoffs. Unfortunately they turned me down, so no doing a vike for me yet.

I'm pleased that you have read at least some of my posts. Yes, you have to plan ahead for the CL registration in Africa. Basically the team you have at the end of the January (start of season) transfer window is what you're going to have to work with for the whole year in the CL, and if you sign someone late in this window, you won't be able to register them until the group stage. You have to bolt the doors, take away their passports and handcuff the players in pairs when traveling to a matches in foreign countries in case they try to defect.

@Pieyanthikos Good luck in Portugal. Remember that a lot of the 7 domestic leagues that you still need are constrained by the demands of the challenge. You have 5 mandatory European league, and you'll have to manage in S Africa, C America, Asia and probably S America, where you don't necessarily have to win the league, but if you're good enough to win the continental competition, you probably will accidently win the odd domestic title. I had a few nations I was interested in managing in; Holland and like you Portugal, but I probably won't need them.

That's an impressive success rate in international competitions. Now, that I am jealous of.

@Kaiserwatman Good luck at Hoffenheim. Like you, I had to wield the axe at my latest club, and the first day of the new season, 8 of my first team were new players I think. Mind you it wasn't because the players were old. they were just rubbish. Why would Mainz have been your first choice? Sentimental reasons, or is there a rationale behind your job choices this time round, which I'm sure you've explained before, but I've forgotten.

@kernunos I hope that your Dundalk gamble / master plan succeeds.

@Danny_H22 Good luck getting a good new job. Like you, I take pride in leaving my clubs in a good state. I am proud that Jeonbuk have won the Champions League nearly every year post-me, and even the World Club Cup. I was disappointed that I didn't get to play them at the last WCC with Orlando Pirates. I also left Pirates in a good state, but probably undermined that a bit by signing 3 players for my new club. I'm still disappointed that when I left Lahti, they had the players and enough money to dominate Finnish football for several generations, and my successor did ridiculously badly.

@vikeologist The Mainz thing is purely cos i have been at their ground though that could be said for near 100 other clubs dotted round europe. This year i am trying to complete with first time club winners though it does cut my options down a fair bit in terms of who has litteraly won nothing major through their existance as a football club. I have a career path , clubs listed though it depends on opputunities to manage certain clubs , which is why when Hoffenheim came along i jumped rather than waiting for Mainz who were my original choice

@dkouv vike may not be jealous but I sure am! Great work in getting that competition ticked off so quickly, it is so long and drawn out that it's one of the harder ones to win in this whole challenge in my opinion. I've decided myself that I'd like to win it with Royal Eagles once I finish everything else, as that would bring me a sense of closure I guess.

In my challenge attempt I've been making slow and steady progress with Tigres in the Mexican league but frequent traveling has prevented me from playing as much FM as usual, so this season has taken a while to get through already. 

Also good luck to @Kaiserwatman, @Pieyanthikos And @Danny_H22!