The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

Been struggling with a dilemma all night. (Nice that the only dilemmas I have are FM related).

As you may know, game has a bug if you started with beta. When you add new nations, all jobs are available. Didn't affect me before because bug happened after I took over at Jeonbuk.

Now I've added lots of nations and got interviews with almost all the top teams in those leagues.

On the one hand this is unrealistic (which is why someone else restarted the game) and I'm really trying to do this challenge clean. Cleanest thing to do would be to only take jobs that arise from managers actually leaving.

On the other, I usually regard bugs as part of the game, and they tend to be a hindrance rather than a help.

If I am offered jobs and don't take them, it may make it more difficult to get jobs at these clubs in the future.

Going to stop applying for these jobs or attending interviews, but I don't know what I'll do if I'm offered a job at a club I have interviewed with.

UPDATE - Looks like there was no point worrying about this as the bug means that these teams haven't appointed anyone after 4 or 5 months. I think they will eventually, as the other loaded nations have. Just takes a while.

FURTHER UPDATE - 4 months after the African Cup below, I finally got a job (with a club from a league that I'd had loaded a while. I went with my heart rather than my head as FM17 allows me to manage a team from the twin cities;

th?&id=OIP.M0c79abadba3f82b0f2e805bda3eda1f7o0&w=300&h=187&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

What a freaking nightmare. The league rules just go over my head. I have 13 fit players (3 of whom are goalies). 18 in total out of the 28 allowed. I have a match in 2 days, and I don't understand what happens if I try to sign one of the academy players. I think I have 1 space left for a 'reserve' player. At least I seem to have a bit of space left in the salary cap, and obviously 10 squad spaces.

I have a headache.

Edited by vikeologist

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vikeologist's DR Congo 2023 African Cup Report

th?&id=OIP.M202cddfd4d48666c29614d7d9e28d8b5o0&w=243&h=154&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

My DR Congo team has been fairly mamahuhu, except for last year’s World Cup. Who knows? Maybe they can shine again in a major tournament.

I thought I would stand no chance as in the month’s leading up to the tournament, many of my best players went down injured, but they’ve (nearly) all recovered just in time. (Earl Legend and Vikeologist Disappointment) Bakumbu has lost his first team place, but what are major tournaments about if not comeback stories and the emergence of future stars?

Group Stage

• Spoiler

• Vs South Africa 2-0
    • Vs Eq Guinea 4-1
    • Vs Nigeria 4-2
    •  
    • The big result was the one against my old team Nigeria. They had won every match with my successor prior to the tournament including friendlies against decent European teams.  This was their second defeat though and sent them out. It was quite a close match until we took a 2-1 lead after their apparent tactics of pressing forward left us with lots of space to exploit. Aldo Kalulu who has taken over for Bakumbu nabbed a hatrick in that final match bring him to 4 for the tournament.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Vs Algeria 3-2 A tough tie. Algeria were the other African side to make it to the second round of the World Cup last year, and arguably did better than us only losing to Italy in extra time at that stage. We took a quick 2-0 lead, but a team with the likes of Bentaleb and Mahrez was never going to be a walk over. I was very glad to ‘hear’ the final whistle.

Ok so easier looking semi against Tunisia coming up. Keep repeating to myself; mustn’t get my hopes up.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Vs Tunisia 2-0 We didn’t have that many chances, but Tunisia didn’t create any. We’re in the final against Ivory Coast. My first international final. Time to wear my lucky incontinence pants.

3rd Place Playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Vs Ivory Coast 1-3 I really thought we could do it; but I was wrong. Ivory Coast thoroughly deserved to win.

After The Tournament

Spoiler

We had a lucky tournament. All our injuries cleared up just in time for the start, and then we only had a sub injured for a few days in the middle. No suspensions. We just weren’t good enough on the day. So I guess now I quit, so that I’ll be able to get a new club job. The side is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway. 6 of my starting XI, and most of the subs, were 30 or over, and there’s really no one else emerging. I’m disappointed, but it’s not as though I came into the tournament expecting to win, or even reach the final.

Domestic
Season	Team					Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
2016	FC Lahti				10th		Just 9 points from the 10 matches remaining after I took over
2017	FC Lahti				3rd		Qualified for Europe
2018	FC Lahti				1st		First domestic title
2019	FC Lahti				1st		The double. First domestic cup
2020	Jeonbuk					1st
2021	Jeonbuk					2nd		Knocked out of CL in semis
2022	Jeonbuk					1st		League / FA Cup / Champions League Triple. CWC 3rd place

International
Year	Team					Achievements	
2019-21	Nigeria					None
2021-23	DR Congo				2022 World Cup - R2, 2023 African Cup Losing Finalists

Challenge Progress

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues 		(Finland, South Korea)
 2/10 domestic cups 			(Finland, South Korea)
 1/5 club continental championships 	(Asia)
 0/1 club world championship

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 
 0/2 world tournaments 

A successful tournament none the less @vikeologist despite the end result .

UE Sant Andreu begun the 2019-20 season in the second tier of Spanish Football and began as favourites for a trip back to the lower leagues however things actually started pretty brightly and a number of shock results ensued, a 3-0 win over Osasuna in particular.  14 games in Sant Andreu held a playoff place but it was here where the Big Fish began to sort their initial problems out and one by one the minnows were surpassed, eventually dropping down to finish 11th.

I had begun the season with the intention it was to be my last at the club , the project had run its course , the education process complete and so it was to be as a couple of days following the end of the Spanish season i sought a meeting in a northern province of Argentina. Atlético Tucumán,  a team who required a playoff to maintain their status within La Primera División last season but were able to provide more resources than that of the Catalans. 

In my much anticipated first game in charge I was hammered 3-0 at home to Boca Juniors in The Copa Argentina Sancor Seguros . A long road ahead and I do not expect success any time soon as i traverse the corners of South America. There have been no movements Internationally but the Iceland job has sprung an interest.

s6_zpsmmbvx5sc.jpg

Edited by Kaiserwatman

Domestic
Season	Team				Position	Notes		Challenge Landmarks
16/17	Hapoel Ramat-Gan		5th
17/18	Hapoel Ramat-Gan		1st		Promotion		
18/19	Raith				7th			
19/20	Raith				?		

International
Year		Team			Achievements	
2018-19		Jamaica			Gold Cup winner (Final: 3-0 vs. Costa Rica)

Challenge Progress

Club
 0/10 Top domestic leagues 
 0/10 Domestic cups
 0/5 Club continental championships
 0/1 Club world championship

International
 1/5 Continental tournaments 		Gold Cup (Jamaica)
 0/2 World tournaments 

Pug's Update Season 2017-18

Qn20OVl.png

We Were 20 Games Into The Season, Sitting Top With 16 Wins And 4 Draws Table. Then A Job I Applied For Offered Me A Position, I Was Now The Manager

of Ulsan In Korea Job.

8eLTE7H.png

They Were Sitting In 6th Place 6 Points Behind The Leaders League When I Took Over. With Only 8 Games To Go Before The Split  8 Wins Put Us Top... 

Then With 3 W 1 L 1D We Won The Title By 6 Points Final League Table. With A Shock Result And Vike On About Missing Player. I Made A Load Of Signings

In The Off Season For Next Season. Shock Result It Didn't Help That Suwon Had 16 Players On International Duty. Job HistorySeason Review

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Nation         Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

Challenge Progress

Club

1/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea)
0/10  Top Domestic Cups
0/5   Continentals Cups
0/1   Club World Cup

International

0/5   Continental Tournaments
0/2   World Tournaments

I am going away for a few days on holiday without laptop and mostly without internet also.

I have played another 1,5 seasons with both good and bad experience. Hope to write more about this next week.

In the meantime good luck to all participants :) 

3 minutes ago, Fadedaf said:

congrats @pug 407! that game against Suwon has to be the most dominant win i've ever seen! two players receiving a perfect 10.0 rating is pretty cool

It's My Best Ever On Any Of The Games, I Go Back A Very Long Way. To When It Was Championship Manager On A Amiga 600 The 1st Ever One

Apple-icon-152x152.png

KRC Genk Season 2022/23 Report

So after winning the double in Norway I began looking for other jobs and a few in Belgium came up. My Molde team were sitting comfortably in 1st after about 15 games but since i had already won everything in Norway I moved on to Genk. I had my pick of a few decent teams in Belgium but Genk seemed to be the best of them and I think I made the right decision.

League-(championship group) We started incredibly well, going undefeated for the first 10 games however a few other teams started equally as well. We hit the top of the league about 2/3rds of the way through and were able to hold on until the end. At one point we were 8 points clear while at others we only lead on goal difference. Club Brugge and Zulte Waregem pushed us all the way until the final day where we needed a win or draw away vs Zulte Waregem to win the title. The players obliged by smashing them 4-0 to give me a third different league title. I was Robbed for Manager of the Season.

Cup- I've done it again, losing to a far inferior side in the Cup. We won 5-0 in the first round but in the second round we met Antwerp, who were rooted to the bottom of the table all season and relegated, while we were in first. So naturally, they slotted 3 past us with no reply. This was by far our worst game of the season and all the most frustrating things that could happen, happened. My striker missed an open net from 2 yards, my centre back was sent off for an unnecessary and horrible challenge, my other centre back gave away a penalty with another unnecessary and horrible challenge, and we also missed a penalty that we were awarded. A miserable failure in this competition.

Europa League- We beat Kairat 9-1 on aggregate and then Randers FC 4-0 on aggregate to reach the group stage where we were drawn with Galatasaray, PAOK and FC Midtjylland. We easily topped the group with 5 wins and 1 draw. The first knockout round saw us face Sevilla, the Europa league masters. I thought we were done for at this point but somehow we got through. A   0-0 draw away was followed by the narrowest 1-0 win at home with my substitute striker firing in a header in the last minute! The second knockout round saw us face Atalanta of Italy, and we lost the first leg 3-2 away but were able to win 2-1 at home and go through on away goals. Somehow we kept progressing through the competition. The quarter finals drew us against another Italian team in Napoli. We pulled out one of our best performances of the season to beat them 4-1 away then secured the tie with a 2-1 win at home. The Semi final saw us face Monaco and the first leg was a narrow 1-0 loss away. We pulled one back in the second leg to send it into extra time, but were outclassed as they suddenly scored 4 quick goals. They went on to win in the final against Man City. Overall we did much, much better in this competition than I was expecting and I'm almost prouder of reaching the Semis than I am that we won the league! we were named the competitions biggest overachievers. 

Best Players: Top Goalscorer + most POM- Leandro Trossard (32 goals, 13 assists, 11 POM). Pretty solid striker who was consistent all season.

Most assists- Gil Dias (16 goals, 18 assists) Excellent wide midfielder, has been lured away at the end of his contract and we will miss him.

Highest avg rating- Franck Ouattara (7.82, 17 goals, 15 assists) Our other wide midfielder who had a great season although slightly disrupted by injury.

Results Results 2

So a pretty good season overall, good performances in 2 out of 3 competitions. My reputation is up to 45% now and while i'll probably stay at Genk to try to win the cup next year, i've been applying to a few promising jobs. I have also taken charge of my fourth different African nation, Ivory Coast! We have won our only match so far, a friendly against Senegal, and I have a good feeling I can build the team towards the 2025 ACON. 

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Royal Eagles     1st                  -               KO Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2018/19      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               FA Cup runners up, CL qualification, CL ongoing
2019/20      Royal Eagles     1st              Semi Final          KO Cup winners, FA Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2020/21      Royal Eagles     --               Semi Final          KO Cup winners, Super 8 runners up, left halfway through the season for Molde
2021         Molde            1st                  -               Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2022         Molde            --                   -               Undefeated and 1st in the league when I left for Genk
2022/23      Genk             1st                  -               Europa League Semi finalists
Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa- Royal Eagles, Norway- Molde, Belgium- Genk)
 2/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde)
 0/5 club continental championships 

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
Season       Team             Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2018        China U23         Won Asian Games
2019        Cameroon          Started ACON qualification, switched to Algeria
2019        Algeria           Resigned after 2 games
2021        Nigeria           Qualified for world cup, ACON qualification ongoing
2022        Nigeria           Knocked out of World Cup in group stage, resigned
2023        Ivory Coast 

Time for the provisional Challenge XI after hitting the 5-trophy mark! The team is still heavily dominated by Royal Eagles players however.

Goalkeeper- Muhammad Nashnoush (Royal Eagles). Great name, pretty solid keeper too. Libyan international who was undisputed number 1 for 2 seasons.

Left back- Junior Sibande (Royal Eagles). Had a few injury problems but was solid at fullback for a few seasons straight.

Centre Back- Gladwin Shitolo (Royal Eagles). Made 91 appearances before leaving to a big salary in China. Was a key defender since the first season and was one of my first transfers.

Centre Back- Keanu Cupido (Royal Eagles). Came of age in my penultimate season with RE, winning his first caps for South Africa and cementing his place in the starting XI. Was rated as the best player in our team by the coaching staff at age 21 with plenty of room to improve. 

Right Back- Ayoub El-Khaliqi (Royal Eagles). Moroccan fullback who was at the core of the defence for ages providing loads of assists every season.

Right Midfield- Felix Obada (Royal Eagles). Nigerian wide man who was ever present during my whole time at RE. One of my first transfers.

Central Midfield- Hans Stevens (Genk). Supremely talented youngster who was ever present in the league-winning Genk side.

Central Midfield- Eudes Dagoulou (Royal Eagles). Central African Republic international who just edges out others due to his contributions over multiple seasons. Great goalscoring midfielder (goal of the season winner).

Left Midfield- Patrick Roberts (Molde). He usually plays on the right but can cover both sides. Previously a Man City flop who was brought to Molde to play out wide and provided heaps of asissts and goals in a great season. Player of the season winner for both Molde and the Norwegian Premier league.

Striker- Jeef Kayembe (Royal Eagles). So far my most prolific striker with 73 goals under my management. Won 3rd place African striker of the year. Once scored 6 goals in a match.

Striker- Bjorn Bergmann Siguroarson (Molde). Lethal finisher who was consistently dangerous in a double-winning Molde side. Goal of the season winner.

d0431e576909_zpsitsom8jc.jpg

Bienvenidos a la Copa Mundial 2022

The road was pretty rocky , taking over rooted to the bottom of the group but a last minute winner in Saprissa and 1-0 home win over Curacao saw me back in contention.  A creditable 0-0 draw against the US was sandwiched between defeats in Kingston and Mexico City but results elsewhere allowed us to snatch a playoff against Oceanic Winners New Zealand . A 6-0 away win put the tie to bed and fans started booking flights to China who had taken over the running of the tournament from Qatar.

Group Stages

Spoiler

Germany 4 Honduras 2

Chile 1 Honduras 0

Turkey 3 Honduras 2

Never stood a chance though Turkey did score in the 91st minute to rob me of a creditable point .  From an Americas point of view only Chile and Colombia managed to get out of the group stages , both going out in the second round .  This should lead to some drastic management changes within the domestic scene.  Germany went on to beat Spain 3-0 in the final .

Back to Atletico Tucumán I have been unable to break into the Top 5 though despite been constantly pillaged by Sporting Lisbon and Benfica I have managed to maintain a Copa Sudamerica spot for the past two seasons. I did manage upgrade that Sudamerica spot to Libertadores following my only win over Boca Juniors in my tenure who to be fair were without the aging Carlos Tevez through suspension in the Copa . Tevez is now retired and manager Guillermo Barros Schelotto is now with the national team so things may change.  I've signed a new three year deal and have £11m to spend and try turn it around this season following my Copa Libertadores exploits though have been hit by 3 retirements and my leading centre half moving on a free to Mexico.

Copa Libertadores

Spoiler

Atlético Tucumán 2 Atlético Minero 3

Santos Laguna 2 Atletico Tucumán 3

Atletico Tucumán 3 FBC Melgar 0

FBC Melgar 0 Atletico Tucumán 1

Atletico Tucumán 3 Santos Laguna  1

Atlético Minero 4 Atlético Tucumán 1

Pretty happy despite the 2 defeats to the best side in South America. I have drawn São Paulo so I am essentially out . I have not qualified for next season tournament next season unless I win the Copa which I am in the last 16

All Spanish speaking nations are open and it will be here I will spend the majority of my time within the challenge but Andorran Bob has managed pick up Portuguese from his time here in Northern Argentina

comp_zpspfysn8fw.jpg

Edited by Kaiserwatman

1 hour ago, Spookism said:

With everyone posting these Over-All best XI

Is there a section in the game for this or is everyone just coming up with their best XI from the journey?

Not sure I understand the question, but I don't think there's any particular stage in the challenge where everyone is posting their XI.

Personally, although I am compiling my XI as I go along, (otherwise I'd forget about everybody), I'm not planning to actually post it until I complete. Maybe at the halfway point. There's only about 4 players in my XI so far anyway.

However, I am enjoying seeing other people's.

I'm being really fussy about my XI so far. I mean, I could put someone from the Congo team that lost in the final, but you know; we lost. My XI is for winners, not losers. You don't get into my XI as some sort of participation reward. If my guys don't actually help me win something, I will cut them out of the history of my challenge like a tumour. Don't send me Xmas cards. You didn't win. You ruined my life. We're done.

@Kaiserwatman - Every time I see the name of your club it brings back happy memories of a programme I love loved 'Los Peques' which had a character called Tucu. I wish I had that series on DVD.

th?&id=OIP.Ma029222ed6c50a4c5445b834d57cfd4ao0&w=259&h=146&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

@Fadedaf - Congrats on reaching the semis, and winning the league.

@pug 407 

With A Shock Result And Vike On About Missing Player

Is this a reference to me (that I can't understand) or a typo. I'm familiar with the verb to vike (take over a club immediately before a cup final that you win and count towards the challenge). What does 'vike on' mean?

@Pieyanthikos Congrats on thw Gold Cup win. Always impressive to do it with Jamaica.

brand.gif?itok=R2Uh087F Fluminense FC  and Chile 2024           255px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png

After leaving Shandong Luneng I turned my attention to the Americas. So I said goodbye to the legions of Shandong supporters that camped outside my penthouse (paid for by the president) and grabbed my passport and left. There were tears, sure, but I assured (in my now fluent Mandarin) the fans that Shandong were on a kind of platform now as a team and as a club that they could continue successfully without me. And sure enough they went on to win another Chinese Super League by 7 points, although the went out of the Champions League in the group phase. As for my other previous clubs, Vasco CT have won the South African league twice since I left but never reclaimed the ACL. Goyang HI FC have maintained a very dull mid-table existence which serves them right for sacking me.

After a month or so I was offered the Fluminense job and took it with both hands. They had played 3 lost 3 and were bottom of the Serie A. They also were nowhere near in the Rio State Championships - just one of many confusing Brazilian club competitions. So I told the wife we were swapping the braised dog for South American steak (which she loved) and that we were staying within a telescopes reach of the Copacabana (which she didn't love). The private jet flight over the Pacific was a frosty one as I contemplated where this move would take my career and my marriage. To take my mind off things I read the Rio de Janeiro Lonely Planet guide (in Mandarin just because) and whacked City of God on. Apparently I'm not to go near the favelas so I'll send my scouts in.

I landed in Rio and immediately got done over with the taxi fare, my yuan/real conversion is still a little rusty and as a result I'd already lost what seemed like thousands before I'd even had chance to think. As I got out I noticed the Flamengo badge in the back window and realised why. Anyways...

On my first day I was greeted by President Peter Siemson, a rather un-Brazilian name but a man who was serving in his third term and so someone who wouldn't be around for much longer. I assessed the squad and released or sold around 15 players before we'd even played a game. For me the squad was full of deadwood with far too many players than is necessary. Unfortunately my best player, Jorge Alexandre was out for 5 months with a broken leg but I would be relying on the front pairing of Ramon and Richarilson to provide the firepower, both of whom had Brazilian caps under their belt. We started off well and just kept going, a fact made easier by our lack of continental football. We had a reasonable budget (£10m) and so went to work on strengthening the side. 

In came my old player Kenneth Mvalo from Vasco for just over a million. I also signed an AMC called Leandrinho from 'INT' (lack of proper names has bugged me) for £4.5m and a young defender called Chambinho from Corinthians. We lost Ramon to injury for a while but managed to land Brazilian Gabriel Jesus from Man City on loan for the season who was far too good for the league. A successful but uneventful season followed, we were crowned Serie A champions with 3 games left although we were knocked out of the cup in the first round due to my complacency in putting out a reserve team. A Copa Libertadores campaign will be coming up although part of me thinks that if I can dominate in Brazil then there probably isn't much else in South America to scare me, as in the past 3 seasons only 3 non-Brazilian sides have made it to the semis.

The season has now finished and more squad ins and outs are taking place, Mvalo left as Brazilian football seemed to be a bit too much for him. I offered him out and surprisingly he chose Deportivo Cali in Colombia over a return to South Africa with Kaizer Chiefs. We've now signed striker Emerson from Cruziero, a player who actually gets into the Brazilian squad at the moment which is no mean feat for a domestic-based player and David Cardona on a free, who is a Colombian DC I had at Vasco CT.

On the international stage I'm still plodding on with Chile who are making reasonable gains in the World Cup qualifying, we're currently 4th after 8 games and our best result was a 2-2 draw away at Argentina. Generally we just tend to beat the also-rans - Venezuela, Bolivia etc and hope to get what we can from the bigger nations. We don't have the generation of players that Chile had in the mid-late 90s with Salas/Zamorano or 10 years ago with Sanchez/Vidal etc. So we work with what we can. I think we have 3 players who you might consider as playing for big European clubs, with Leverkusen being the biggest.

On a personal note you'll be glad to know that my marriage is going fine after an initial rocky spell in Brazil, particularly as I was insisting on backroom staff meetings being taken on the beach with mirrored sunglasses and a caipirinha or five. I'm now attending counselling meetings where I promise not to ogle at bouncing body parts playing volleyball. Perhaps my next job needs to be somewhere without temptation, like in Scotland or for a team like Rubin Kazan.

Season       Team             Position         Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015         Goyang HI FC     5th
2015/16      Vasco CT         14th             South African Divison 1
2016/17      Vasco CT         1st              Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Vasco CT         7th             
2018/19      Vasco CT         1st              South African FA Cup
2019/20      Vasco CT         1st              African Champions League/South Africa Super 8 winners
2021         Shandong         3rd              Chinese FA Cup
2022         Shandong         1st              Chinese FA Cup and Chinese Super League
2023         Shandong         1st              Asian Champions League, Chinese FA Cup and Chinese Super League

International Management
2017 - Mali
2018 - Mali
2019 - Mali                                    African Cup of Nations winners
2023 - Honduras
2023 - Chile
2024 - Chile and Fluminense FC                 Brazilian Serie A winners.

Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa 2019, China 2022, 2023, Brazil 2024)
 2/10 top domestic cups (South Africa FA Cup 2019, Chinese FA Cup 2021, 2022, 2023)
 2/5 club continental championships (African Champions League 2020)

International
 1/5 continental tournaments (Mali AFCON 2019)
 0/2 world tournaments

Edited by SavoNFFC

Great reading everybody's progress in this challenge.

I was going to wait until Christmas until I bought FM17, but purchased it today and been messing around downloading graphics etc - I know it isn't essential, but it floats my boat!!

So, within the next couple of days I'll be starting my latest attempt at this challenge and see how far I can get this time!!

I think I'm going to start in Europe this time with leagues England, Scotland, Austria, Norway and Sweden - as we all know, there is no exact "science" to this challenge, but this time I'm tempted to try and build my reputation early on, rather than just get a trophy under my belt.

But, time will tell........!!!

21 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@Kaiserwatman - Every time I see the name of your club it brings back happy memories

Not for me unfortunately (the club shirt did match the cartoon character though )  as I can only hold my hands up and say I ruined this club through poor management . Yes I got the clubs first Copa and first Recopa , qualification for Copa Liberatadores and later Copa Sudamerica but eventually everything caught up on me . A sixth place finish became eighth and later twelfth and now when I look back at them after I packed my bags eighteenth. The youth I brought in were too young and were sub sequentially taken by the Portuguese clubs who were on the phone on a daily basis and the side was left heavily aged . Eventually I lost the dressing room and results suffered and I bailed leaving the club without continental football.

Honduras is also a thing of the past , one can say 2023 was a pretty bad year all round as despite getting out of the Gold Cup Group stages pretty easily I was hammered by Jamaica 4-0 in the quarter finals. When things go bad everyone runs home so Andorran Bob went back to where he started keen not to make the same mistakes made in the last venture. There will be another trip in the future back to Argentina though in the coming years. Espanyol were the initial choice , getting back to Barcelona where I had enjoyed time with Sant Andreu but they turned me down after a frosty interview leaving me heading to the Basque Country with Deportivo Alavés. The initial three year project begins with survival in Liga Santander so will be here until at least 2026 unless sacked and will definitely go beyond the 2055 completion last year but I wont be managing any big clubs throughout the challenge.

ult_zpsak0ecrmk.jpg 

Vikeologist's 2023 End of Season Report

th?&id=OIP.M0c79abadba3f82b0f2e805bda3eda1f7o0&w=300&h=187&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

I took over Minnesota mid-way through the season. I’ve hardly managed in the MLS in FM, and it’s a nightmare with all the complicated transfer / contract / draft rules. I have lots of spaces in my squad. Indeed I only have 21 players. I’d love to sign more but it’s next to impossible in the circumstances attendant to MLS which I won’t bore you with.

Still, the principle’s the same. Choose a team, put them on the pitch and see what happens. Early on we slipped down the table, largely due to not having even 11 non-grey available players for most matches. Once we were able to put out a team without any grey players or players playing completely out of position, we put a string of good results together, and I thought we might sneak into the playoffs and be the momentum team. We ran out of games though. Honestly I was concentrating on next season anyway. For all my squad size woes, I traded one of my players for a 2nd round draft pick next season. If I can figure out how to improve my squad, or at least make it larger, next season might go well.

Top Goalscorer – Luis Solignac 14. Boy, this players of the season section looks a lot different from last year’s Jeonbuk one. 14 goals is a bit less than 52. I probably should have sold Luis. He’s 32, and a few teams offered to trade for him, but despite the name he has US nationality. If I can trade him now though, I definitely will. He scored 7 goals in a good 5 match spell for us, but he’s in decline.

Best Average Rating – Sam Adekugbe 7.14. He’s our left wingback and probably our best player. 7.14 is a pretty good stat for a wingback.

Man of Match – Sam Adekugbe – 4

Most Valuable Player – Probably the guy that we got a 2nd round draft pick for. At least he had a value, although I’ve no idea if the pick is worth the 100k we bought him for a month or so before trading him. He wasn’t playing very well anyway.

We have 3 1st round and 2 2nd round picks in the upcoming draft. Don’t know how much of that is down to Minnesota being a recent expansion team (though given it’s 2023 not that recent, and how much was trading before I arrived, which would at least explain where the hell my squad disappeared to.

I also took over the Chile national side, and we’ve won our first 2 World Cup qualifying matches, including a 4-3 thriller against No 1 in the World Argentina. I have a very promising 21 year old striker called Miguel Beinert who has scored 5 goals in my 3 matches in charge including a friendly.

Domestic
2016	FC Lahti				10th		Just 9 points from the 10 matches remaining after I took over
2020	Jeonbuk					1st
2023	Minnesota Utd				14th

International
2019-21	Nigeria					None
2023-	Chile

Challenge Progress

Club

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

After some unsuccessful interviews around Ireland, I decide to pack my bags and head to Brazil to try my luck. Silly mistake. All of this applying is making me tired, so I'm treating myself to a two month holiday. 

Upon my return from holiday I discover several League 2 teams are on the hunt for a new manager, what a dream start to my managerial career that would be! 

I send out a few speculative applications to some clubs around England and Wales and sit and wait for the offers to flood in. I wait. And wait. And then my first offer comes in! From Newtown...

The Robins are sat in 9th place when I come in, with 8 games remaining and relegation is a very real possibility. The club is lacking in quality and depth and I might be in over my head, here. Our top scored and, for lack of a better term, star player has 5 goals all season. He's also our only fit forward. 

Its going to be a long two months until the window opens and I can bring in the much needed cover. In the mean time, I have to focus on securing our league position. After three games in charge we are 1-1-1 and have shot up to 7th place. We haven't looked good doing so, scoring just once. 

I guess things can only improve from here. 

Apple-icon-152x152.png

KRC Genk Season 2023/24 Report

So I loaded an instant result skin for this season which is why i've been able to complete it so fast. I was only really interested in the cup so just went for instant results in most of the other games (except a few european ones).

Belgian Super Cup- the game finished 1-1 vs Charleroi but we then won on penalties. My first penalty shootout win of this career, only took 6 years! So a trophy in our first game but this would prove to be the only one we won.

League- We led for 90% of the season, easily winning every match and going on a 30+ match unbeaten run, breaking the league record. However, Belgium has one of those annoying formats where at the end of the regular 30 game season (when we were top by 8 points), the league splits in 2 and points are halved as everyone plays another 10 games. We decided this was the time to completely implode as a team and somehow lost all footballing ability. We only won 2 of our last 10 games meaning Club Brugge ran away with the title, beating us by a comfortable 6 points. Very disappointing to be runners up in a season that we should have won by miles.

Cup- The reason I'm still at Genk, my sole focus for this season. We made it all the way to the final, very comfortably beating various teams across Belgium. We were in the final against AA Gent, who were sitting in 8th and are generally a pretty average mid table club here. I was pretty confident going in, and the first half, although it ended 0-0 was very encouraging as we completely dominated. The second half however, we imploded completely as we conceded 2 and got a red card within the space of 5 minutes. So that was the end of that... runners up in another competition.

Champions League- Drawn into a very tough group with Chelsea, PSG and Sporting. We managed 1 win vs Sporting and 2 draws vs Sporting and Chelsea to finish in 3rd and go into the Europa League.

Europa League- Another pretty good effort this year, as we dispatched Fenerbahce and CSKA Moscow to reach the quarter finals. We were drawn against Wolfsburg of Germany and won the first leg 3-1 surprisingly. We couldn't hold on away however as they smashed us 7-2, we were just completely outclassed.

Best Players: Top Goalscorer- Nedeljko Hakac (42 goals, 12 assists) the young Serb is Definitely our best player and at 19 years old he could go on to be a real star, hopefully we can hold onto him for a while. Was also the League's highest goalscorer and won the European Golden Shoe!

Most Assists- Nicolas Castillo (27 goals, 19 assists) Hakac's usual partner up front, he's solid but unspectacular and is showing his age at 31, I will hopefully be replacing him this summer.

Best Avg Rating + most POM- Franck Outtara (7.52, 7 POM, 13 goals, 17 assists) another good season for the wide midfielder, who is also a starter for my Ivory Coast team.

I also must mention Alexis Sanchez, who at 35 years old was signed on a free part way through the season and proved to be one of my best signings of my career so far, even if he didn't retire with any more titles after this season.

Results Results 2      

Overall a pretty terrible season, no titles towards the challenge and very little progress overall. I've applied to countless other jobs but with the international job I've yet to get past submitting proposed staff changes. I don't want to leave the Ivory Coast job as I want a crack at the 2025 ACON so I guess i'll just have to stay on and maybe hope for third time lucky in the cup! My manager is now fluent in Dutch so I guess there's that...

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
2016/17      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Royal Eagles     1st                  -               KO Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2018/19      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               FA Cup runners up, CL qualification, CL ongoing
2019/20      Royal Eagles     1st              Semi Final          KO Cup winners, FA Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2020/21      Royal Eagles     --               Semi Final          KO Cup winners, Super 8 runners up, left halfway through the season for Molde
2021         Molde            1st                  -               Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2022         Molde            --                   -               Undefeated and 1st in the league when I left for Genk
2022/23      Genk             1st                  -               Europa League Semi finalists
2023/24      Genk             2nd              Group Stage         Super Cup winners, Cup runners up, Europa League Quarter finalists
Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa- Royal Eagles, Norway- Molde, Belgium- Genk)
 2/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde)

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2021        Nigeria           Qualified for world cup, ACON qualification ongoing
2023        Ivory Coast       Started World Cup and ACON qualifying.
2024        Ivory Coast

Edited by Fadedaf
Found out Hakac won the European golden shoe

Pug's Update Season 2018-19

8eLTE7H.png

This Season Went Well, We Won The League With 9 Games To Go. Up To This Point With 27 Wins And 2 Draws, With A Goal Difference Of 94.

Over All I Had A Record Of 34 Wins 3 Draws Plus 1 Lost. So Close To A Unbeaten Season League Table. Also Entered The South Korean Hall Of Fame.

In The Champions League We Won The Group With 5 Wins And A Draw. Against Shanghai SIPG - Reysol And Brisbane Roar, With Shanghai Away The

Only Time We Dropped Some Points. The Second Round We Played Seoul With A 6-1 Win Away And A 3-0 Win At Home. Next In The Q-Finals Was

Perth Glory And 4-2 And 5-2 Win With 19 Players On International Duty. In The Semis We Face Suwon For The 6th And 7th Time This Season. So

Another 2 Wins  4-0 and 2-1 Made It 7 Wins Against Them. In The Final We Played Al-lttihad And A 3-0 Win And A Very Nervous 3-4 Loss, Where We

Losing 4-0 A Half-Time. So The Champions Of Asia Was Crowned Results. The KFA Cup Was Another Trophy To Had To The List Cup Results .

Then A Couple Of Weeks After The Season Finished, It Was Into The Club World Cup. Up First Was Al-AHli (UAE) And A Easy 5-0 Win. Then Next Was

Real Madrid And A Surprise 3-2 Win. So On To The Final And A 3-1 Win Against Botafogo From Brazil CWC Results . So With All The Trophy's That

I Could Win It's Time To look For Another Job.

Job History

Ql4it1e.png

On The International Front A Job Opening Came Up A Nigeria, After John Obuh Retired  Contract. With The Qualifying And A Group Of Namibia - Niger

And Uganda. With 6 Wins We Qualified With No Problems Results. On To The ACON And 3 Out 3 Wins  Table. Up Next Was Q-Final Win And So Onto

The S-Final . Next Was A Final, So To Make It Easy To Get A Club Job I Resigned From Both Jobs.

Job History

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation   Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                 World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                          Won
  Challenge Progress

Club

1/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea)
1/10  Top Domestic Cups (S/Korea)
1/5   Continentals Cups (Ulsan)
1/1   Club World Cup (Ulsan)

International

1/5   Continental Tournaments (Nigeria)
0/2   World Tournaments

@pug 407 Gladbach so soon in your career, I just say Wow!! Great work.

@Fadedaf good luck with ACON

@vikeologist hope to see a great MLS experience next season when you get into the rules and regulations there.

Everyone else, nice to see your progress as well.

I am back home, but heavy work schedule until friday, thats when I expect to have a new update.

The Beta-bugs really seem to hit me hard though, as moving clubs and nation is a nightmare. When adding new leagues, not all teams are without a club, but most of them are. Those with high rep, seems to keep their manager though. I impose a 12 month ban on myself for taking over in such leagues, in that time most clubs will find a new manager, if not I feel they are "up for grabs"

Season 2 – 2017/18 – Accrington (ENG)

Season Review

A thoroughly enjoyable season slushing around the bottom tier of the English football. Only strictly speaking, I wasn’t slushing around but storming the league, setting a League Two record of 104 points from 46 games in the total. The season went like this: summer spent strengthening the key positions, mainly in the striking department. Started on fire, but lots of draws leading up to Christmas meant it was tight at the top. Changed tactic to more attacking, and steamrolled the league in late winter and spring.

Nothing of note in the cups, only that a 3rd round FA cup defeat away at Norwich generated some cash. In other news: Brexit was soft, but looks like it disabled the Bosman rule, despite not saying anything about this in the news item

League Table

Player review

Top scorer, top assists: Greg Luer (ST), 27 goals and 13 assists in 38(6) apps

A Hull reject signed as back-up, but he hit form through the season and improved his attributes.

Top rating: Charlie Goode (DC), 7.47 from 34(4) apps

Also signed as back-up but played brilliantly in the second half of the season.

Manager progress

The board finally splashed out, so I’ve got National B and C licenses, studying for A

Reputation: 15% [found where to look for this!], but see below for the twist

What’s next

This is a game of Mourinho not Arsene Wenger, so I’ve been looking to move to greener pastures throughout the season. After numerous rejections the Sheffield Utd job came up at the end of the season, and I was favourite to take it! I obliged to apply and got the job, and after a short but beautiful drive through the Peak District I was settling into my new home.

Sheffield finished top of League 1, so it’s the Champtionship for me next season – something about which I’m pretty chuffed. Think I’d like to stay here for at least a couple of seasons, and target promotion to the top flight in the next two years. I’ll also scour for international jobs after the 2018 World Cup is finished.

My rep is down to 10% after the move for some reason.

Challenge XI

[ will fill this up as I go along ]

ST: Greg Luer

Club Career:

Season     |   Team        |     Division      |   Position     |    Cups  |   Notes & Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    |   Accrington  |  League 2 (ENG)   |   4/24         |   n/a    |   Took over in December (team in 20th), lost on penalties in playoff final
2017/18    |   Accrington  |  League 2 (ENG)   |   1/24         |   n/a    |   Promotion; League 2 points record (104). Moved to Sheffield Utd at end of season

International career:

no jobs
	Challenge Progress:

Club
 0/10 top domestic leagues
 0/10 domestic cups

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

@vikeologist congrats on the treble with Jeonbuk, and good luck in the MLS. I’ll try to stay away from there myself because of the fiendish rules.

@pug 407 congrats on the super-fast progress, looking forward to the Gladbach update :)

@Fadedaf good to see you hoovering up the leagues outside of top-5-mandatory-nations, will be interesting to see what jobs you get with that rep once done in Belgium

and all best to the others!

@pug 407 great progress, especially winning the club world cup so fast, well done!

@dkouv congrats and smart move skipping league 1 entirely, looks like you're moving up pretty quickly. My rep is up to 50% at the moment so I feel like after the ACON i'll resign internationally to go for a better job, maybe break into the big five leagues!

@vikeologist good work and good luck in the MLS with Minnesota! I found it pretty frustrating in my last attempt at the challenge so will probably be avoiding it this time around myself.

1 hour ago, TheEarl said:

The Beta-bugs really seem to hit me hard though, as moving clubs and nation is a nightmare. When adding new leagues, not all teams are without a manager, but most of them are. Those with high rep, seems to keep their manager though. I impose a 12 month ban on myself for taking over in such leagues, in that time most clubs will find a new manager, if not I feel they are "up for grabs"

Unfortunately I don't think it's that simple. 12 months after adding leagues, most teams are still without a manager, and if you apply for them, either it says that the interview process is over or it allows you to apply, but either way, the clubs will never appoint a manager. Some clubs do appoint managers, and they tend to be the highest rep ones, but I think this bug is pretty extensive.

(In addition to this the MLS seems really broken. I mentioned that I had a high number of draft picks in the first couple of rounds, but when the draft came around there were only 8 players, which given that I had the 9th and 11th overall picks was pretty annoying. I also had the 2nd overall pick, but unfortunately the player I had decided I wanted was snatched up first. The MLS is not only complicated in the game, but also severely broken, although I think I might still be able to swing a good season. I can't see me putting up with this broken a league for more than one more season though). if there's only going to be 8 in the draft, I might as well use all my draft picks to acquire players from other clubs, but there's a thin line between dealing with bugs and exploiting them. Screw it, The MLS is a disaster zone, and it's every manager for himself.

Anyway, back to the larger issue, I am wondering whether it will even be possible to finish this challenge if the manager bug doesn't get fixed.

To be clear, this is a bug that seems to only affect those of us, like Earl and I, who started on the beta. Did anyone else who is doing the challenge start on the beta?

Edited by vikeologist

8 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's that simple. 12 months after adding leagues, most teams are still without a manager, and if you apply for them, either it says that the interview process is over or it allows you to apply, but either way, the clubs will never appoint a manager. Some clubs do appoint managers, and they tend to be the highest rep ones, but I think this bug is pretty extensive.

(In addition to this the MLS seems really broken. I mentioned that I had a high number of draft picks in the first couple of rounds, but when the draft came around there were only 8 players, which given that I had the 9th and 11th overall picks was pretty annoying. I also had the 2nd overall pick, but unfortunately the player I had decided I wanted was snatched up first. The MLS is not only complicated in the game, but also severely broken, although I think I might still be able to swing a good season. I can't see me putting up with this broken a league for more than one more season though).

I am wondering whether it will even be possible to finish this challenge if the manager bug doesn't get fixed.

To be clear, this is a bug that seems to only affect those of us, like Earl and I, who started on the beta. Did anyone else who is doing the challenge start on the beta?

For me its with Beta-version, but it appears somewhat different to yours @vikeologist. When I loaded French Ligue 1, 16 out of 20 clubs was without a manager. Within 2 months all 16 clubs had appointed a new manager, and after the season Saint Etienne fired their manager and I got the job. Later I have added Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga and Italian Serie A. In all of those league somewhere around 60-80% of the team where without a manager, and within 2-3 months all clubs had a manager again. In MLS it was around 90% without a manager, and 1-2 clubs spent almost 6 months to hire a new manager but they always DO hire a new manager in my game.

Only exception: when I left Ecuador National Team, they have in several years never appointed a new manager, I will not apply for them ever again, but this is mostly due to the team being crap. This International bug, probably due to lack of players/managers from the nation has been reported in FM16 bug section (Back then it was Uruguay) but seems its not resolved yet.

Deportivo_Alaves_zpssks5fusn.png

AKA Dad's Army 2025

Deportivo Alavés make inroads on the big three and qualify for the Champions League , the extra finances will indeed come in handy as I am completely stretched to the limit , well around 20k per week over the break even point judging by the finances posted at the AGM though it will increase the games on an ageing squad.

The season brought plenty of new faces as experience was added in abundance with signings of Alfred Gomis 31 , Ezequiel Muñoz 34 , Lucas Silva 33 , Alberto Paloschi 35 all coming in to a squad whose average age is probably around 30 overall . All eager to prove they had one or two seasons within them and that they did aiding players like Callum Gribben to flourish around them.

The Final La Liga Table tells a story , are Alavés close - sort of .  Of the 18 points available against the big 3 clubs i collected 3 points and thats where the league is won and lost and now with the additional games in Europe i am not sure the squad is ready to cope with that plus Allegri's Atlético are untouchable. One thing tho is i need find a decent striker on the cheap in the next twelve months to replace Paloschi .  Copa Del Rey lost the derby to Athletic Bilbao who went on to win the competition in 5th round .

Top Scorer Alberto Paloschi 18

Internationally I am currently trying qualify for the 2026 World Cup with Czech Rep

ult_zpsak0ecrmk.jpg

Edited by Kaiserwatman
Added International Football

@vikeologist I had this jobs bug when I started on the beta. For high-rep leagues, or at least European ones it didn't seem too big an issue because the jobs generally got filled, but for China and Korea I had the thing with the jobs never being filled; although I didn't apply for any. I restarted on full version since I wasn't that far into the challenge by then...

@pug 407 didn't see you won the CWC with a Korean side, nice!

@Kaiserwatman Just saw how many seasons you've been staying at each club, looks like you're trying to do this challenge the loyal way :p best of luck in the CL with Alaves

After assessing my Sheffield Utd squad I decided to change it up and go with a strikerless formation - was playing a 4-3-3 at Accrington that worked very well but the squad building for that is rather boring, just buying solid all-round center-mids and center-forwards... I hope this tactical switch doesn't backfire :p Am trying to shift some deadwood at the moment without causing too much disharmony in the squad (never mind that nobody wants to buy half of them)

2 hours ago, dkouv said:

@Kaiserwatman Just saw how many seasons you've been staying at each club, looks like you're trying to do this challenge the loyal way :p best of luck in the CL with Alaves

@dkouv  Something like that , every club will be taken on a three to five year plan. I have a few clubs already in mind for this challenge.  CL Group is AC Milan , Olympique Lyon , Sporting Lisbon, Deportivo Alavés .  Its just a fundraiser

eng_zpsyhszvzmi.png678_zpsurlwrbxk.png

Macclesfield Town

2016/17

So it was a very up and down first season in my challenge, I took over Macclesfield when they were in the relegeation zone (League Table).  I started out my very first game with an emphatic 4-0 win over Barrow, however from there we struggled to get any consistency not winning any of the next five, but with four draws. So I decided to tinker with the tactics as I had been doing between each game which probably really didn't help the team. For the next seven games we still really couldn't get going but I decided to stick out with my tactic to let my team get comfortable with it first, that paid dividends, with eight wins in the next nine games, I started to believe the play-offs were a possibility. That inconsistency soon crept in again though and sadly our late surge finished very disappointing. I was hoping to achieve a slightly better finishing in the league table, so I have signed a new contract for another year to give it a real push, I will probably look to move on after next season though and maybe ttry abroad.

Season Stats

League Table

Results2Squad Stats ~ Tactic

So that is a brief run down of my season, I'm not too sure what I plan to do ahead of my second season in charge, as I have quite a few wages to cut. I don't really want to do a complete overhaul though as everytime I attempt that in FM I fall short of what I need in terms of numbers and end up with too many injuries I can't cover etc.  As you can see Jake Simpson had an excellent season for me, I will be looking to build the team around him and I'm looking to get rid of the big earners and hopefully get some quality loan signings to bulk out my squad. I think this may be my last season in England, however the club can't afford to send me on a coaching course so it might be difficult to find a better club for me to step up to, but we shall see, here goes to a long window of transfers!

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season       Team             Position           FA Cup          League Cup         Champs League       Others & Notes     
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Macclesfield     11th                 -                  -                   -             Took over in 22ND.   

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season       Team             Others & Notes    

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10  Top Domestic leagues
0/10  Top Domestic Cups
0/5   Continentals Cups
0/1   Club World Cup

International

0/5   Continental Tournaments
0/2   World Tournaments

Edited by Crowy
mistake

brand.gif?itok=6ojRgRdI

Fadedaf's African Cup of Nations 2025 Report

When I got the Ivory Coast job nearly 2 years ago, this was the tournament I was targeting, so I was very keen to get started! Pre-tournament friendlies were very encouraging, with a 4-0 victory over Gambia and a 3-1 win over Burkina Faso. We drew a very tough group however due to our relatively poor world ranking at the time (33rd). Our group contained Nigeria, Ghana and Morocco, all previous winners of the competition on multiple occasions. We had been doing very well in world cup qualifying against similar strength African nations so I was still optimistic about our chances. 

Group Stage

Spoiler

Ivory Coast 1-1 Nigeria: An okay performance, but we were the better side and probably should have won. A draw isn't the end of the world though.

Ivory Coast 2-2 Morocco: Not a great performance and we were lucky to grab a point to keep our hopes alive. Both goals came from substitutes introduced to try to change the game with our second equaliser coming from a very good finish in the 88th minute. We needed now to beat Ghana, the strongest team in our group to guarantee qualification for the second round.

Ivory Coast 3-2 Ghana: We totally dominated this match and deserved to win by more. Finally a good performance from the Ivorian lads, very encouraging as we head into the quarter finals where we are facing Mali.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Ivory Coast 1-1p Mali: we completely dominated, having 47 shots and 12 on target for only 1 measly goal. They had a man sent off in about the 85th minute but we still couldn't capitalise. The Ivorians are in desperate need of some new striking talent. We lost 5-4 on penalties to knock us out of the tournament in a game we certainly should have won.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

:(

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Aftermath

Spoiler

A disappointing exit in a tournament I thought we had a great chance of winning. We really lacked attacking quality and it showed. Additionally, our usually solid defence failed to keep a single clean sheet! A pretty poor performance all round and i've decided to resign from the job. I need to do so to get a new club job and I don't think i'd win anything anytime soon with Ivory Coast. I'll try to pick up an international job before the World Cup next summer but getting a new club job is top priority.

Unlucky @Fadedaf; looking like you dominate games, but you either concede too many or not score enough, seems like a tough squad to balance. Have Ivory Coast gone very poor in game then? Or other African teams just improved?

Edited by Crowy

@TheEarl Thanks, and yeah penalty losses always suck. If only I had some decent strikers.

@Crowy Yeah we routinely dominate most games, my tactics are usually very heavy on possession and pretty attacking, but Ivory Coast just had no quality up front. Most other African teams like Nigeria and Mali have at least one decent striker to finish their chances but the best I had was an ageing Maxwell Cornet who's barely up to international standard, and he was my first choice. But oh well, the ACON is every 2 years so i'm sure i'll get another shot at it soon enough.

turns out Cape Verde won the ACON! ridiculous haha

Edited by Fadedaf
found out Cape Verde won

130191632_zpsyshoczfi.jpg

World Cup 2026 Report

Following my departure from Honduras who failed to get out of the World Cup 2022 group stages I've been in charge of the Czech Republic who came through a group of Russia , Czech Rep , Denmark , Norway and The Faroes unscathed . A record of 5-3-0 was enough to seal qualification for Canada 26.  There has been a resurgence of youth coming through for the Czech's over the past few years with many at top clubs dotted around Europe to the extent to liken to the 96 side though its early days as they are quite young.

World Cup Squad

Group Stages

Spoiler

Czech Republic 4 Egypt 0   - Hoffman 2 (Schalke) , Latal (Inter) ,  Dvorak (Napoli)

France 3  Czech Republic 1 - Havlicek (AC Milan)

Czech Republic 2 Jamaica 1 - Latal (Inter) , Kubec (Club Brugge)

Overall good showing in the group stages , good but not elite as the France game showed

Second Round

Spoiler

Argentina 2 Czech Republic 3 - Hoffman 2 (Schalke) , Latal (Inter)

Argies suffer as Atletico Madrid striker Leonel Baretto who is the most lethal striker on the planet misses game through injury

Quarter Final

Spoiler

Czech Republic 1 Turkey 3  - Latal (Inter)

Fair Enough , The Turks have been quite good over past few years and overall had better squad.

Semi Final

Spoiler

:(

Final

Spoiler

France 2 Turkey 0  - Lemar , Martial

Domestically Atletico Madrid won everything they entered at a canter , no real inroads made , still very close to Barcelona like last season , a little behind Real with Atletico about 10 points ahead of the rest of the pack. The Italy job is up post the World Cup which I could really do with Allegri taking as they are pretty much unstoppable at the moment. Determined not to give up with my little unfashionable club who runs on less than a week than the earnings of 2 strikers at Atletico I have signed a further 4 year deal taking me to 2030

ult_zpsak0ecrmk.jpg

Edited by Kaiserwatman
World Cup Final Result

Apple-icon-152x152.png

KRC Genk Season 2024/25 Report

League- We were excellent all the way through this year thanks ti a heavily strengthened squad. My best striker, midfielder and 2 defenders were all poached before the season started with release clauses being met, which added up to 78 million Euros combined. Plenty of money to improve the squad with and i did so pretty well, bringing in 8 or 9 new players including ageing stars Gylfi Sigurdsson, Riyad Mahrez and Henrikh Mkhitaryan as well as a few wonderkids from around the world. My best transfer of the season was Patrick garba from Anderlecht, who I had my eye on for a while and was finally able to sign. He was incredible and by far our best player this season. Anyways we absolutely smashed everyone in the league, running away with it and winning with 3 matches to spare.

Cup- we smashed two lower league teams in FCV Dender 7-0, then Union SG 5-1 to reach the quarter finals where we faced Mouscron. A nervous 2-1 win ensued to put us into a two legged semi final against Anderlecht. The first leg was a poor performance at home ending 1-1 while we had a man sent off. We came back in the second leg however and won 6-0 to qualify for a second straight final. The final was against Zulte Waregem and we played well all game, leading most of the time and eventually winning 4-1. Cup winners finally on the third attempt!

Champions League- We easily dispatched Panathinaikos 4-0 on aggregate but were then outclassed by Torino who beat us 7-5 on aggregate in the best placed playoff round, meaning we entered the Europa League group stage.

Europa League- We were able to win our group containing Celtic, Nice and Basel to set up a tie against Hertha Berlin. We were outclassed however and went out on a 5-1 aggregate loss.

Best Players- Top Goalscorer + Highest Avg rating: Patrick Garba (7.83, 38 goals, 20 assists) Signing of the season from Anderlecht, our best player for sure.

Most Assists: Rafael (35 goals, 22 assists) Garba's strike partner up front all season, also a very good player brought in this season.

Most POM: Patrick Garba and Henrikh Mkhitaryan (9 POM, 22 goals, 17 assists) The 36 year old had a great final season in Alexis Sanchez's former position.

Results Results 2

Overall a good season that I am happy with, 2 competition wins and 1 more towards the challenge. My reputation is now up to 60% and shortly after resigning from the Ivory Coast job I was offered another job. So next season I will be taking charge of Saint Etienne in France! I've broken into the European big five leagues and i'm keen to see how I go in my first season. Saint Etienne have been overachieving recently, finishing in the top ten and even winning the French Cup last season, so there is definitely potential here. So I must say goodby to KRC Genk, it's been pretty good as we won 4 titles in 3 seasons with some great continental performances thrown in there as well. We became somewhat of a retirement home where great players came to end their careers, but at least the likes of Blaise Matuidi, Alexis Sanchez, Riyad Mahrez, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Henrikh Mkhitaryan all provided one good season.

2023/24      Genk             2nd              Group Stage         Super Cup winners, Cup runners up, Europa League Quarter finalists
2024/25      Genk             1st                Playoff           Cup winners, CL qualification
Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde, Belgian Cup- Genk)

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2023        Ivory Coast       Started World Cup and ACON qualifying.
2024        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2025        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned.

The Earls Ultimate Quest (FM17)

PAOK 2026/27 and 2027/28 Greek Super League and Mexico (from mid 2027)

After Spartak I really though I could get a good job, but it turned out all I could get was PAOK. Well fair enough the club is one of 4 favorites for the Greek title. My reputation was 55% but even after 2 seasons at PAOK it was still the same.

Its not really a lot to tell from these two seasons other than we won the domestic double both seasons. But also knocked out of Europe at early stages.

Club Career:

2016 - Unemployed

2017 - Dalian Yifang (China) - 1st in First Division - 2nd round of FA Cup - Promoted to Super League

2018 - Dalian Yifang (China) - 2nd in Super League - Quarter Final of FA Cup - Qualified for Asian Champions League

2019 - Dalian Yifang (China) - 1st in Super League - Winner of FA Cup - Winner of Asian Champions League - Treble only loosing Super Cup

2020 - Unemployed

2020/21 - Nordsjælland (Denmark) - 7th in Super Liga - Already out of Cup - Took over 3 games from end, lost Euro Place play-off

2021/22 - Nordsjælland (Denmark) - 1st in Super Liga - Winner of Danish Cup - The Double season

2022/23 - Cruz Azul (Mexico) - 1st in Clausura Stage - Winner of NACL - Won league stage in Apertura but lost in Quarter Final of play-off, 2nd in Clausura but won play-off.

2023/24 - Saint Etienne - 2nd in Ligue 1 - Winner of League Cup - Winner of FA Cup - Quarter Final Europa League - Lost league title in Goal Difference

2024/25 - Newcastle - NA - Left club after 17 matches (if not I would have been sacked)

2024/25 - Spartak Moskva - 5th in Premier League - Already out of cups, took over in 9th with 10 games to go.

2025/26 - Spartak Moskva - 1st in Premier League - Winner of Russian FA Cup

2026/27 - PAOK - 1st in Greek Premier League - Winner of Greek Cup - 1KO round of Europa League

2027/28 - PAOK - 1st in Greek Premier League - Winner of Greek Cup - 3rd in Champions League Group, then 1KO round of Europa League

International Career:

2019 - DR Congo - Took over 22nd in World Rankings

2020 - DR Congo - Qualified for ACON, 2nd in CHAN

2021 - DR Congo - Winner of ACON

2023 - Ecuador - Lost 1-6 to Chile in Quarter Final of Copa America

2027 - Mexico - Currently top of World Cup Qualifying Group

Challenge Landmarks:

Club:

5/10 Domestic Leagues (China 2019 with Dalian Yifang, Denmark 2021/22 with Nordsjælland, Mexico 2022/23 with Cruz Azul, Russia 2025/26 with Spartak Moskva, Greece 2026/27 and 2027/28 with PAOK)

5/10 Domestic Cups (China 2019 with Dalian Yifang, Denmark 2021/22 with Nordsjælland, France (both cups) 2023/24 with Saint Etienne, Russia 2025/26 with Spartak Moskva, Greece 2026/27 and 2027/28 with PAOK)

2/5 Club Continental Championships (Asia 2019 with Dalian Yifang, North America 2022/23 with Cruz Azul)

0/1 Club World Cup

International:

1/5 Continental Championships (Africa 2021 with DR Congo)

0/2 World Tournaments

13/33 Total Landmarks 

More stats to follow in next update.

Languages spoken - Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, English, German, French, Chinese, Greek (all fluent), Russian (good)

Edited by TheEarl

Danny_H22 2016/2017 Season Report
newtown-afc-the-robins.png

After taking over in November, my only goal was survival. I inherited a weak squad in terms of talent and depth and so didn't have high hopes. Overall I am happy with the way my first half a season in management has gone and I think with a few good signings in the summer, we can challenge for a top three spot.

Welsh Premier League- Newtown were sat in 10th place when I took over, a few points above relegation. After some decent results, we were unlucky to just miss out on a top-half finish. We finished the season in 8th place, with 44 points. 44 points would have been enough for a 5th place finish if not for the silly league format where the teams are split into two leagues after 22 games.

JD FAW Welsh Cup- After some impressive results, we were knocked out of the cup in the semi-final to non-league Port Talbot. A loss to TNS in the final would no doubt have followed if I had won.

theWord Cup- Knocked out in the 3rd round and before I took over at the club.

Best Players- Top Goalscorer + Highest Avg rating: Jason Oswell with 22 goals and average rating of 7.32 was by far our best player. Other stand out players included Luke Boundford and Joe Newton.

Most Assists: Luke Boundford with 13 assists to go with his 11 goals. Not bad for someone who spent quite a long time on the physio's table.

Most POM:  Tie between Boundford and Oswell with 5.

Goals for Next Season:  Try and topple the powerhouse that is TNS.

Season       Team             Position         Continental       Notes and Achievements     
2016/17      Newtown          8th                  -             Took over in November

Challenge Progress

Club
 0/10 top domestic leagues 
 0/10 domestic cups

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:

Edited by Danny_H22

SEASON 2017/18

Image result for african warriors fc

This unemployment challenge is bloody hard. 

Added the South African league to the game and I got an interview with the Warriors and got the job. Unfortunately I didn't do my research and I ended up with a squad that only about 8 players on the books. Went about building a squad and staff (as there were literally no staff as well) with the first game in about 8 days. 

After a mad scout run, I realise that the rules state you need to have at least 3 Under 23's in the Starting XI every game. I look at my squad that I started with - youngest player was about 26....

Lots of loans, scouting and cheap buys and I brought in no fewer than 14 players.

I ended up with a few okay strikers, ending the season with 44 goals (7th in the 2nd Division), but had the spuddiest, paper thin defense ever, leaking 77 goals in 30 games and ultimately that cost me as I lost to the 15th placed team in the penultimate game which pushed me into the relegation zone and I lost the following week when a draw would have kept me up.

It wasn't helped when the club sold my Captain and Central Defender the day before this game making my defense even worse. I had decided to resign from the club whether I stayed up or not as I knew we would not have the money to compete next season, but the club beat me to the punch, making getting a new job that much harder.

Season   Team             Country       League                   Position   Notes and Achievements
2016/17  Stirling Albion  Scotland      Ladbrokes League 2       9th        Sacked after 29 games, gained National C License
2017/18  African Warriors South Africa  National First Division  15th       Sacked at seasons end, gained National B License

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues ()

0/10 domestic cups ()

0/5 club continental championships ()

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments ()

Deportivo_Alaves_zpssks5fusn.png

2027 Season

Over the past few seasons Deportivo Alavés have been amongst the elite with La Liga Santander with the tiny Estadio Mendizorrotza been a true fortress where teams rarely took three points though the one thing obvious with Alavés was the lack of a pure world class striker though not helped by their tiny budget in comparison to the other elite sides. The breakthrough once again took a step backwards as Bayern Munich met the release clause to take former Atletico Madrid striker Acosta to Germany. Callum Gribbin also left in the summer though the media were already pretty aware his replacement  was already at the club . The media acknowledged the defence had been strengthened , midfield had more depth but the question was who was going to lead the line , who was going to elevate the club, a club which was run semi communist style where everyone pretty much got paid the same regardless of roles. 

It started off with a phone call , an experienced Spanish International who had been banished to the PSG Reserves before contract termination , serious pay decrease but full faith and minutes on the field. I explained that Portuguese striker Ivan would move deeper into the 10 role freeing up the coveted number 9 position. Le Equipe simply put a ? on the back page shocked by the news  , Marcha a more positive Final Piece ? , noting the clubs need for a true world class striker . Alvaro Morata had signed for Alavés.
Following the World Cup Allegri's Atletico were slow out of the blocks losing to Betis and a draw against lowly Cadiz before the meeting at the Mendizorrotza in September. Uruguayan Defender Niguerez signed from Barcelona in the summer headed Alavés in front though it was short lived as Baretto soon equalised.  Ivan gave Alavés a 2-1 lead going into half time . Seconds after the restart Atletico equalised and had the better of the second half as Alfred Gomis kept them at bay before Morata was fouled 5 mins from time in the box , He slotted home,  a goal which actually won the league as results carry more than goal difference . The game at the Vicente Calderon was a dull 0-0 in February.

Alavés who were top of the pile all year were knocked off in April and it looked like the season would turn to yet so close yet but there was another twist , Atletico held at Villarreal .  Going into the last game Alavés beat Celta Vigo 3-0 to lift the title on record .  Morata lead the league in goals with Ivan excelling in the no 10 role and getting capped by Portugal

ALA1_zpshniifcjd.jpg

Edited by Kaiserwatman

Vikeologist's 2024 End of Season Rope (I mean Report)

We lost on penalties in the Western Conference Semi Finals (which with regard to the title are the Quarter Finals). If we had prevailed, (and we had plenty of chances to get the extra away goal in the second leg), I doubt that we’d have won the MLS.

Honestly I’m done with the MLS. Getting one’s head around all the rules and restrictions is a challenge worthy of the challenge as a whole, but honestly just not fun, and it was an ordeal just getting to the end. Because I have an international job, quitting would be a bad idea, and will probably prevent me getting another club job, but the MLS isn’t something that you can just half arse your way through for 3 months. On the other hand, I suppose I could do exactly that. It will mess up the club, but I suppose that’s not my problem.

I took on the Minnesota job for sentimental reasons, but they have the lowest attendance (by far) in the MLS. Given the salary cap, perhaps that shouldn’t matter, but it does in terms of the money you can dish out on transfers and designated players.

There’s also the issue that the league is full of at least one major bug, (the draft) and struggles to encompass all the rules of the league. That’s in addition to the bugs that I’m dealing with in the game as a whole, especially the one where newly added clubs don’t have or hire managers in some leagues. I’ve had Chile and Colombia added for nearly 2 seasons now, and almost no clubs have hired managers.

I guess starting the challenge on the beta was a gamble, but the argument for struggling on is that I have got off to quite a good start.

I’m not going to be doing my struggling on in the USA though.

Top Goalscorer – Magnus Eriksson  17 This stat explains why we had such a bad season. Eriksson is our best striker (supposedly), and has been with the club 3 seasons, but just doesn’t score enough. Oh sure, he scores enough to stop you biting the bullet and actually dropping him, but I should have made sure we had better strikers. I signed a couple of very promising strikers. I should have signed ones who were good now.

Best Average Rating – Óscar Benítez 7.26. Midway through the season I threw everything had I had money wise (for the next 3 seasons) at grabbing this 31 year old right winger. It worked to an extent. We were a much better team with him, especially since I’d been playing a more natural central midfielder in that slot, but it wasn’t enough.

Man of Match – Magnus Eriksson - 5

Most Valuable Player - Óscar Benítez. I’m not sure he’d still be the MVP in 2 years’ time when his guaranteed salary runs out, but it’s NMP; not my problem.

Internationally, Chile are in 4th place for World Cup qualifying after 9 matches; the half way point. We’ve beaten World Champs Argentina twice, but both victories were somewhat lucky. Nonetheless, we have a slight cushion over the team in 5th, so as long as we can continue to have more good matches than bad, we should be able to crawl our way to the World Cup. Unfortunately, I was hoping that Chile were going to be more than that.

Domestic
2020	Jeonbuk					1st
2023	Minnesota Utd				14th
2024	Minnesota Utd				7th		Lost on penalties in Western Conference Semifinal

International
2019-21	Nigeria					None
2023-	Chile

Challenge Progress

Club

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

@KaiserwatmanCongrats on the Spanish league win. Nice graphic of your progress. You sticking around another season for the cup, and also I guess a viable shot at the Champions League? Are you planning on getting into international management soon?

@SpookismSo I wonder who the Chinese club is. Anyway, good luck. Even that division can have some serious money. When you're finding it difficult to get a job, and then a seemingly suitable club offers you an interview, it can be tempting to not do enough research on the club, or even with the research, not care.

@Danny_H22 Welcome to the challenge and good luck in Wales.

@TheEarl I suspect you may have been lured in by another challenge, but I hope that you continue this at some point. It's only looking at your report that I understand why my manager can speak French; DR Congo. Well, I suppose my manager would definitely be fluent in French swear language.

@Fadedaf I really have to learn to copy you and make my clubs more of a retirement home. Must remember that this isn't the Youth Challenge. Get a job. Install wheelchair access and hearing loop for new signings. Win stuff. Get out. Hard luck on the African Cup. I know your pain.